2405 19 2017-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450075 ft
  • >>>
United States

First off, I own it.  It was totally my fault, and I willingly took a chance and paid for it - so I'm not complaining or blaming anyone but myself.   This is simply a lamenting thread - and sharing so maybe another newbie will think twice before making the same dumb decision.
I have maybe 30+ flights under my belt, and several hours with the Realflight Drone Simulator.   Today I found myself in a WIDE open parking lot and had a chance to really do some flying and have some fun.   It was going great and I was getting cocky.  Unfortunately, there it was...the big red button...otherwise known as sport mode.  

After flying for a while, I lined the Mavic up at one end of the field and figured I'd see what one full length run with sport mode was like....and I pressed the button.   The next thing I knew, the Mavic was in the trees tumbling to the ground.

The moral?  Don't risk it.  It ain't worth it.

For what it's worth, I think my Mavic survived.  It hit the trees at roughly 30+ mph, but there were a lot of small branches and the ground was soft so it slowly tumbled down to the ground and landed on it's back.   It was easy to find because it stayed connected and just switched to opti mode - so I was able to find it by the flashing green taillight.   Other than a few scuffs here and there and 4 destroyed props, it seems to be functional.   It powered up fine with no errors, everything shows normal.   The motors all start fine - but I won't be able to flight test it again until I get some replacement props....so I'm hopeful it will fly fine.

So to all you new owners...beware.
LP
2017-9-23
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Mavic in Sporty
2017-9-23
Use props
Pumavic
lvl.3
United States

It's been about 2.5 months for me with my MP and I've yet to hit that 'button'. Heck I just flew over water for the first time a few days ago...little by little ;)
2017-9-23
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Pumavic Posted at 2017-9-23 14:21
It's been about 2.5 months for me with my MP and I've yet to hit that 'button'. Heck I just flew over water for the first time a few days ago...little by little ;)

Good for you....and I don't mean that sarcastically.   

LP
2017-9-23
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

ya keep some extra props on hand for these times.
2017-9-23
Use props
TN Lone Wolf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 963251 ft
United States

Always make a point of looking around with the drone to ensure you're above any obstacles before moving laterally.  This goes doubly so if you're using sport mode.
2017-9-23
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's always worth it(at your own risk) baby steps tiny little baby steps until you feel comfortable again to hit that "red button"
2017-9-23
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

yeah....in this case I sideswiped the trees.  I was closer to them than I thought.   Live and learn.   That said, it looks like there are a few micro scratches on my gimbal lens.  I don't see any image degradation yet (took a few full res snapshots and pixel peeped), but any reason to worry?   Now I'm wishing I HAD kept that UV filter on for protection.    Can the factory UV lens on the Mavic be replaced easily?

LP
2017-9-23
Use props
Paul_IA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

I think if you fly long enough, you'll end up sacrificing a drone to the tree gods. Don't feel bad, you're in good company.
2017-9-23
Use props
Pumavic
lvl.3
United States

LeafPeeper Posted at 2017-9-23 14:24
Good for you....and I don't mean that sarcastically.   

LP

Thanks...I did have a nice little scare on that first time over water though First off i hadn't flown for over a week or so, and I'm jonesin to get off the ground. But the batts got drained and I basically had 50% to start with, ugh. But I just forgot about it and there I was over a big beautiful lake! There was a little island, cool, go around it...then just when I was behind it, BAM!! LoW BATTERY!! WARNING!! Repeat...Osh@tf*ck!! I got turned around and couldn't tell where I was, then RTH kicked it and saved my newbie ass hah!!...

ps. I hope you get your aircraft sorted soon! and yea, fly with a filter at minimum. I have that shroud and its ok but in wind and certain maneuvers it comes into view on video.
2017-9-23
Use props
UAVTom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1236778 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry to hear that.  I had a incident today.  Controller latency issue causing my to over correct resulting in a tree impact.    Hope you can get it repaired.  Like the pilot error ownership
2017-9-23
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oh sorry to hear about the spill. Wow I fly almost always with Sport mode and it's thrilling but yet at same time, anxiety-provoking. I even had a spill today too but for different reason.
2017-9-23
Use props
fansd77b4cd0
lvl.2
New Zealand

You should post the footage of the crash! Sounds like you got lucky there though, fingers crossed nothing needs fixing!
2017-9-23
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fansd77b4cd0 Posted at 2017-9-23 18:42
You should post the footage of the crash! Sounds like you got lucky there though, fingers crossed nothing needs fixing!

NASCAR fans are we now?   Here ya go you adrenaline junkies.     Keep in mind I was watching the Mavic from across the field and not paying attention to the view in my monitor.  It was closer to the trees than it looked from my angle.

LP
2017-9-23
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

LP, I am sorry to hear.
I too have not escaped "being cocky". A couple months ago, I was showing off to my wife and friends, fly out of sight and backed it into the house. it dropped about 10 feet. only broke a couple props. Changed the props, flew it right away and decided to be a little more careful after that. All was well until...

about a month ago, was videoing my family fun 5k event. flying down the road. felt I was safe from power line crossing the road. I wasn't. Ran smack into a power line at 16ft and the MP dropped like a rock. Took out the sensor module and camera. Had to have it airlifted to the MASH unit in California. 2-1/2 weeks later, got a new one back. Longest 2-1/2 weeks in my life. Have been a lot more careful and responsible pilot since.

I hope your MP is ok.

Jim

P.S. i also have a spare set of props in the flight case. Am on my third set so far.
2017-9-24
Use props
Sime
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3055210 ft
Australia

Beginner or not, flying in sport mode is about being aware of your surroundings, if you really wanna learn to fly a drone with a bit of speed in sport mode, buy a spark. The spark apart from being more durable than a Mavic, is one of those drones you can throw around easier and make yourself a better pilot. I own both, have crashed the spark a few times, simply because I take a hell of a lot more risks with it, risks that give you fantastic practice, and I do a lot of very low level flying around tress and stuff, flying I won’t attempt to do with the Mavic, simply because one mistake with the Mavic and it’s most likely going to have a trip back to DJI. My spark has hard crashed on tarmac and was fine. Buy a spark, throw it around, become a better pilot.
2017-9-24
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sorry to hear about the crash, so is the drone hurt by the crash? Have an overall check on it, send it back for repair if necessary.
2017-9-25
Use props
CharlieFliesDro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36148 ft
United States

I go through Blades like a fat kid in a candy store.
I've owned Mavic for 4 month and Hit all the button's and sometime hit button's that arnt there...
I have even hit the Double down stick Button (CVC) .
Mavic fell from 30ft like a brick and spit out the Gimbal/camera on impact.....Tree'd it Twice ....GOOD TIMES good times

Mavic pro..... Lulls you into a sense of superior flying skill because the ease of flight.
Mavic pro...... has Downward and Forward sensors But no  Backwards or Sidewards Sensors.?   Danm you DJI Danm you.....

2017-9-25
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks Thor.   I do have Care Refresh if I need it, but so far it looks ok.  I'm waiting for new blades to be delivered, and although I obviously can't fly, everything seems to be working properly so far.   No errors and everything is in one piece.    I post back after I fly with my new blades...

LP
2017-9-25
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Well it seems that my Mavic survived!   I flew tonight with my new props and everything behaved normally, and the video looks great.    Frankly, I'm stunned.   While I realize that many do not survive, for any to survive a 35mph crash with a tree and fly away is pretty darned amazing.   Props to DJI for making these things tougher than they look.

I thought it might be nice to post some positive news.   Thanks DJI!
LP
2017-9-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules