"Calibrate compass" not showing
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sonnavindDF
lvl.2
Flight distance : 288875 ft
Norway

Hi

I have got the Phantom 4 Advanced, but I am not able to calibrate the compass manually each time i move to a new location...?
The UM sais that it only shows when needed, but I've read "everywhere" that its smart to calibrate the compass each time
moving location... So whats right and whats wrong? Or am i missing something?

Regards!
2017-9-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

What you've read is wrong.
It was poor wording in old manuals that made people think they needed to frequently recalibrate but that wasn't true at all.
It's not smart to calibrate your compass every flight and it makes your flying less safe.
The current manual is better - don't mess with your Phantom's compass.

It's still possible to calibrate the compass - it's deeper down in the settings so that people aren't tempted to misuse it.
2017-9-24
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Labroides is correct, do not calibrate your compass unless the system says so.  Even than ensure when it does that you are not near some interference such as a metal table, sitting on reinforced concrete (i.e. rebar), or power lines of some kind; if you are pick up and move away first and see if that clears the problem.  If not then recalibrate per system direction.
2017-9-24
Use props
sonnavindDF
lvl.2
Norway

Labroides Posted at 2017-9-24 02:58
What you've read is wrong.
It was poor wording in old manuals that made people think they needed to frequently recalibrate but that wasn't true at all.
It's not smart to calibrate your compass every flight and it makes your flying less safe.

Thanks for the reply - bit confusing when you see almost every youtube "how to" film, promoting the calibration before each flight. So now I know - only need to cailbrate when prompted by the system.
2017-9-25
Use props
sonnavindDF
lvl.2
Norway

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-24 04:17
Labroides is correct, do not calibrate your compass unless the system says so.  Even than ensure when it does that you are not near some interference such as a metal table, sitting on reinforced concrete (i.e. rebar), or power lines of some kind; if you are pick up and move away first and see if that clears the problem.  If not then recalibrate per system direction.

Thanks for the confirmation!
2017-9-25
Use props
PowerBand1
lvl.3

Australia

sonnavindDF Posted at 2017-9-25 11:30
Thanks for the confirmation!

You can always check your compass every now and then, hit settings tab scroll down to advanced and then click sensors and hit compass tab at top of the page. If its green you good to go.
2017-9-25
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

PowerBand1 Posted at 2017-9-25 17:38
You can always check your compass every now and then, hit settings tab scroll down to advanced and then click sensors and hit compass tab at top of the page. If its green you good to go.

This suggestion makes sense. It is especially true to consider this point when in a new location.
2017-10-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules