Altitude
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dayviduk
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Can you explain why my drone was hovering at around 4 feet , but the altitude on the screen said 8 feet
2017-9-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Because the barometer that the Phantom uses to measure altitude is not 100% accurate.
You will probably find that heating of the Phantom during a flight affects it's accuracy.
You need to allow a safety margin when making altitude calculations.
2017-9-24
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

It would also happen if the ground level at the hovering point was 4' higher than where you took off from.
2017-9-24
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

Always take the altitude reading with a grain of salt, I have noticed times it looks like its way off on altitude by 10+ feet or so and other times it's near spot on. Most of the time I just eye ball it and adjust altitude as needed.
2017-9-24
Use props
dayviduk
lvl.4

United Kingdom

It went up to its normal 4 feet mark from takeoff and whilst hovering their i was checking the screen thats when i noticed the difference.
Calibration was done a few mins before takeoff and all seemed fine.

It wasnt an issue as i always air on the side of caution , just strange as its always seemed to be right
2017-9-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

dayviduk Posted at 2017-9-24 14:39
It went up to its normal 4 feet mark from takeoff and whilst hovering their i was checking the screen thats when i noticed the difference.
Calibration was done a few mins before takeoff and all seemed fine.

A 4 ft discrepancy is not at all strange.
Check your indicated altitude at the end of a flight and you will often see bigger variances than that.
Within 10 ft is good, some users report quite a bit more than that.
2017-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules