Antenna Question
1441 11 2017-9-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1997861 ft
Canada

Quick question regarding the Inspire 1 antenna. Just wondering how can you tell if the antenna is not connected properly maybe the solder fell off, or if the antenna is damaged. It's for a buddy of mine. I assume anything beyond 10m from the remote, video feed would disconnect? He replaced 1 of his motors due to it being damaged.
2017-9-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

If the Antenna got damaged, both the HD signal and RC signal will be affected, please check the signal in Top Bar.
2017-9-24
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-9-24 23:41
If the Antenna got damaged, both the HD signal and RC signal will be affected, please check the signal in Top Bar.

How far do I need to fly to find out?
2017-9-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Cabralkev Posted at 2017-9-24 23:44
How far do I need to fly to find out?

If the antenna was damaged, there should be no signal or the signal lost in dozens of meters, may I know which antenna have you changed? There should be three antennas in RC.
2017-9-24
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-9-24 23:56
If the antenna was damaged, there should be no signal or the signal lost in dozens of meters, may I know which antenna have you changed? There should be three antennas in RC.

I had to replace the back left motor CCW and ESC. The technician said he had to solder the antenna back to complete the installation. I haven't flown it yet, but just curious if there was something wrong with the install, if I would be able to see it quickly. Would I be able to fly 10 meters or 20 meters away from the remote in a residential area? Knowing that flying in a residential area, there is a lot of interference. I would assume this would be a good test?
2017-9-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Cabralkev Posted at 2017-9-24 23:59
I had to replace the back left motor CCW and ESC. The technician said he had to solder the antenna back to complete the installation. I haven't flown it yet, but just curious if there was something wrong with the install, if I would be able to see it quickly. Would I be able to fly 10 meters or 20 meters away from the remote in a residential area? Knowing that flying in a residential area, there is a lot of interference. I would assume this would be a good test?

Sorry that I though the antenna of RC was replaced, I missed the last info in your previous post, really sorry.
There are 4 antennas in each landing gear, 2 antenna on the same side work together. When the drone rotates, if the RC and HD signal change obviously, the antenna may not work well.
But we suggest to contact recommended repair center for repair and flight test, it is not safe to replace it by your own.
2017-9-25
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-9-25 00:12
Sorry that I though the antenna of RC was replaced, I missed the last info in your previous post, really sorry.
There are 4 antennas in each landing gear, 2 antenna on the same side work together. When the drone rotates, if the RC and HD signal change obviously, the antenna may not work well.
But we suggest to contact recommended repair center for repair and flight test, it is not safe to replace it by your own.

Oh okay. So both antennas on the land gear work with each other? So the front 2 antennas work with each other, and the back work with each other? If I fly 20 meters out, and rotate the Inspire. Can that test to see if there is an issue with the solder job? I'm just not sure how far I need to be to see any issues, if there will be any. I'm sure everything is okay, but I just like to make sure. The drone shop has 4.9/5.0 reviews. It's called OmniView Tech. So I would assume they did a good repair job for me.
2017-9-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Cabralkev Posted at 2017-9-25 00:21
Oh okay. So both antennas on the land gear work with each other? So the front 2 antennas work with each other, and the back work with each other? If I fly 20 meters out, and rotate the Inspire. Can that test to see if there is an issue with the solder job? I'm just not sure how far I need to be to see any issues, if there will be any. I'm sure everything is okay, but I just like to make sure. The drone shop has 4.9/5.0 reviews. It's called OmniView Tech. So I would assume they did a good repair job for me.

It's just a suggestion to test the flight, try to observe the signal when rotate the aircraft, but no info of the height because we don't suggest to users to repair the drone by themselves, so we have little info regarding this.  
But I believe your dealer did a good job on repairing, you should believe them, too.
2017-9-25
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

I just came back from a test. The test was in a residential area. I flew in a park though. I got to 200 meters out until we got the remote controller signal weak. I stopped and turned it around. So now the front is facing us. The error went away and said safe to fly. Sort of strange. But the signal to the remote seemed to stay the same. My guess it was searching for another channel to increase the reception? Either way... I was flying away with the back of the Inspire facing me. I got to 200m until the signal weak error came up. My guess the solder job was a success?
2017-9-25
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Read this :
-If flying and notice a dropout of  video siganal   at say over one quarter mile , re orientate the AC so it is pointing  (squarly ) directly at you or away from you , ( YOU SHOULD ALWAYS TRY TO STAY ORIENTATED TO THE AIRCRAFT WITH THE AC AND RC. (remeber to keep as much of an unbroken laser beam between the AC and RC  )  the antennas on the aircraft are located on the VERY front and VERY back of the aircraft on the landing gear just below the motors. Try to keep these pointing directly back to the RC transmitter .  Keep the RC antennas  pointing  vertically directly at the Aircraft at all times to get the best reception , I have seen pilots get tired holding the RC transmitter  and the RC transmitter and antennas are basically pointing  down to the ground, hold it up  high as if the Lanyard that came with your system is on your neck.  .  STAY ORIENTATED ON THE AIRCRAFT, I try to keep the radar ( I know it is just t a symbol and not radar )  pointer either directly away  or facing me .
-watch video in post #2

Also read my tips on this topic, only takes 5 minutes to read , may help  and there is a video below my post  in a link .
Video Transmission issues with X3 or X5 ? Try These Suggestions !
try to test fly in anothere area, You shoudl get MUCH further than 200 meters.  I get over 4500 meters in the right conditions .  BUT we must go over your settings .

Go to the link I provide and also watch the video that is just below my post in the link to understand what I am talking about below.

*****IN your situation if you have the RC transmitter high in your hands and a laser beam ( imaginary of course ) and you loose reception  when facing  away from you but if you turn it around and the siganl greatly improves  ( i may have this backward , but you know what I mean ) something may be wrong  with the  solder joint or antenna  .  I think more testing is in order.

***** Make sure the Slide bar on the Remote contol setting page ( this is just below the frequncy numbers that the AC is scanning on the Go app )  is set for maximum distance as well.  If it is set for MAX bit rate it will GREATLY  reduce the range .  make sure you view and change this setting with the entire system fired up or it may not stay .
**** see if the side that had the motor replaced has the limited distance and poor signal .  If it does I would suspect they may have done something wrong .  When soldering the antenna wire you need to be certain you keep the Center  wire Insulated away and not toucjing the Coax sheath around it. If PROS did this then I am sure they would know this but accidents and mistakes do happen .
*** If you have can get at least 1 Kilometer of distance ( in the correct safe area ) and can rotate the aircraft directly away and towrds you and keep the same strong siganl you are fine . When the AC gets sideways  in relation to the RC transmitter ( because the antennas on the AC are not pointing directly back to the RC )  it is normal to loose signal strength .  This is one reason there is a LOCK feature on the Camera gimbal . At distance you can keep the Camera locked in  one direction and spin the AC so the Antennas are oreietnated back to the RC transmitter .  

Sorry for the long repeteitive post , I do that sometimes ...... ( head  injury , long story )

donnie

2017-9-26
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

Donnie * Posted at 2017-9-26 04:55
Read this :
-If flying and notice a dropout of  video siganal   at say over one quarter mile , re orientate the AC so it is pointing  (squarly ) directly at you or away from you , ( YOU SHOULD ALWAYS TRY TO STAY ORIENTATED TO THE AIRCRAFT WITH THE AC AND RC. (remeber to keep as much of an unbroken laser beam between the AC and RC  )  the antennas on the aircraft are located on the VERY front and VERY back of the aircraft on the landing gear just below the motors. Try to keep these pointing directly back to the RC transmitter .  Keep the RC antennas  pointing  vertically directly at the Aircraft at all times to get the best reception , I have seen pilots get tired holding the RC transmitter  and the RC transmitter and antennas are basically pointing  down to the ground, hold it up  high as if the Lanyard that came with your system is on your neck.  .  STAY ORIENTATED ON THE AIRCRAFT, I try to keep the radar ( I know it is just t a symbol and not radar )  pointer either directly away  or facing me .
-watch video in post #2

Haha no worries for the long response .

I flew out 1500 meters yesterday. RC signal was full. Well that's what the DJI go app showed. I rotated the Inspire around so the front is facing me while being out 1500 meters. Didn't get no disconnection. What I did notice, was remote controller signal weak error come up a few times while flying out. The HD signal was dropping, then all of a sudden came back up again. I assume it was searching for a stable signal? It did say I was in a strong interference area, fly with caution. My guess is, the solder job was a success. Otherwise the RC signal would of dropped far before I reached 500 meters.
2017-9-26
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Cabralkev Posted at 2017-9-26 17:00
Haha no worries for the long response .

I flew out 1500 meters yesterday. RC signal was full. Well that's what the DJI go app showed. I rotated the Inspire around so the front is facing me while being out 1500 meters. Didn't get no disconnection. What I did notice, was remote controller signal weak error come up a few times while flying out. The HD signal was dropping, then all of a sudden came back up again. I assume it was searching for a stable signal? It did say I was in a strong interference area, fly with caution. My guess is, the solder job was a success. Otherwise the RC signal would of dropped far before I reached 500 meters.

I think you are good, I would also test in an area with no additional wi fi interference and  see if you can get the 1 kilometer or  1mile mark, then you know for sure you are getting the full potential .

donnie
2017-9-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules