Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Grain in footage?
1663 5 2017-9-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Air Shots
lvl.1
Flight distance : 172369 ft
Malta

Hi guys,

I seem to be having a lot of grain in my footage... to me the image seems to be overly sharp or grainy in the seast of lowlight situations. Can any of you give any input to this i feel quite lost and want to get the issue sorted asap.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... 0E/view?usp=sharing

Settings / Conditions:
Time 18:15
Filter: PGYTECH ND16
Shutter: 1/50
FPS: 24
Res: 4k
ISO: 100 (locked)
Style: D-Log
Settings: +1,-1,-1

Could it be that the setting +1 just over sharpens the image? I seem to be getting a lot of noise in the places where there is lower light or darker surfaces. Also could it be that the ND filter is causing this? The exposure on the histogram seems ok to me but they are cheap filters and could be affecting the image. Could it also be by monitor which is giving me this issue as on my MacBook Pro it doesn't seem to be as bad. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

2017-9-24
Use props
Mike Warren
lvl.3
Flight distance : 421532 ft
Australia

That video looks like it's shot in D-Log. You need to process D-Log footage to pul the shadows down, which helps the noise.
2017-9-24
Use props
Mike Warren
lvl.3
Australia

Accidentally posted too soon and then lost my long edit. I'll try to remember what I said.

Because its small sensor, the Mavic camera is not particularly good and does have a lot of noise.  That said, it's pretty good compared to cameras of only a few years ago, especially when you consider how small it is.

In order to try and combat this noise DJI have implemented a pretty savage noise reduction that seems to be strongest at any sharpness setting below +1. The problem with increasing the sharpness above 0 is that the footage has a very over-sharpened look. I've found the best setting to be +1,0,0, and shooting in D-Log, but it does need a lot of post processing. Noise reduction, a slight blur, and a curves adjustment to correct for the D-Log profile.

2017-9-24
Use props
Mike Warren
lvl.3
Australia

Oh, in regards to your specific question about the ND filter, as long as you set the ISO to 100 and expose correctly (use the histogram) then you will be getting the lowest noise you can out of it. ND filters don't cause noise unless by using one you have to either raise the ISO or you under expose.
2017-9-24
Use props
Air Shots
lvl.1
Flight distance : 172369 ft
Malta

Im going to do a little more testing and see what's up... I'm very disappointed with the quality.
2017-9-24
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Just to verify, is this an original video from the SD card? Could you please upload several original videos from the SD card to the Google Drive? I'd like to check it with our engineers.
2017-9-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules