Mavic - clamp disabled gimbal: DJI says it's not a warranty repair
3124 25 2017-9-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JeremySear
lvl.1
Flight distance : 143448 ft
Australia

I forgot to remove the gimbal clamp on a flight, realised it was on, flew it back and took it off. The gimbal now doesn't work.

I've sent it back as a warranty repair and been told that it's "physical damage" so it's not under warranty.

That is absurd! It's a design fault that the gimbal clamp should be able to completely break the gimbal. If that's part of the design, the clamp should be bloody bright orange with warning lights and big warning letters that forgetting to take it off can destroy the aircraft.

I am EXTREMELY unhappy. This should be a warranty repair and DJI are sitting on my aircraft and refusing to fix and return it.

The case is CAS-995583-K2H1S7
2017-9-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I'm sorry to read your unpleasant experience. Per the damage assessment and your description, the issue was not caused by the drone itself. And we have made it clear in the User Manual: please remove the gimbal cover and gimbal clamp from the camera. I know it is a hard lesson, but a fully pre-flight checklist is always recommended before take-off. Hope you could understand.
Prepare the Mavic.png
2017-9-25
Use props
SkySailorMan
First Officer
Flight distance : 2170768 ft
United States

Probably not the response you're looking for, but I fully agree with DJI on this one. The onus is on you, the drone operator, to ensure your equipment is properly configured and prepared for successful flight. Removal of the gimbal clamp before the drone is even turned on is well documented. I'd chalk this one up to experience and move on. IMO, chances are virtually nil that you'll get DJI to bend on this.
2017-9-25
Use props
johnmichaels
lvl.2
Flight distance : 316585 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry to hear about that, we have all done it and unfortunate it caused damage.  This is one of those gut wrenching moments when you suddenly realise what you have done, a bit like driving with the emergency break on but not the manufacturers fault when your brakes melt and need replacing.

How bad was the damage?  I noticed on ebay today there a few people selling replacement gimbals/cameras for not too much money and depending on how good you are with a screwdriver not a difficult fix...just a thought.
2017-9-25
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah, unfortunately I have to side with DJI on this one.  Tough lesson to learn, but it should be part of your preflight check.
2017-9-25
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not surprised DJI isn't covering this one as it's already quoted right there in the manual. Have a question, one of the most recent updates stated something about the MP having on the clamp/cover? if I remember correctly? would that indicate some kind of an alert on the screen?
2017-9-25
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

Just the FYI, warranty information on products: http://www.dji.com/service/policy
2017-9-25
Use props
JeremySear
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-25 04:44
I'm sorry to read your unpleasant experience. Per the damage assessment and your description, the issue was not caused by the drone itself. And we have made it clear in the User Manual: please remove the gimbal cover and gimbal clamp from the camera. I know it is a hard lesson, but a fully pre-flight checklist is always recommended before take-off. Hope you could understand.

Nowhere in the manual does it warn you that forgetting to take off the clamp might break the aircraft. That's a design fault, and if that's the way it is, the manual should do a lot more than just say "hey take off the clamp", it should say YOU MUST REMOVE THE CLAMP OR IT MAY BREAK YOUR AIRCRAFT. Where does it warn you it will break the aircraft?

Since it doesn't, that is definitely a thing that should be covered by warranty.
2017-9-25
Use props
JeremySear
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-25 04:44

PS "Remove it when necessary". How does that say "YOU MUST REMOVE IT OR IT WILL BREAK THE AIRCRAFT"? That is completely inadequate.

If the aircraft has that limitation - specifically, that the gimbal clamp will BREAK THE AIRCRAFT IF NOT REMOVED - you need to identify it very clearly. Which you do not in any of the material I've seen.

Also, this is definitely a matter that is covered by the Australian Consumer Law, which imposes mandatory default warranties, and it is not a warranty issue DJI can opt out of if selling drones in Australia.
2017-9-25
Use props
Jeff7577
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-25 06:27
Just the FYI, warranty information on products: http://www.dji.com/service/policy

Directly from the link you posted:

“Our goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage.”

Nothing in the manual states damage is possible by leaving the clamp on.
2017-9-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

JeremySear Posted at 2017-9-25 12:33
PS "Remove it when necessary". How does that say "YOU MUST REMOVE IT OR IT WILL BREAK THE AIRCRAFT"? That is completely inadequate.

If the aircraft has that limitation - specifically, that the gimbal clamp will BREAK THE AIRCRAFT IF NOT REMOVED - you need to identify it very clearly. Which you do not in any of the material I've seen.

Sir, please kindly note there are two items: gimbal clamp and gimbal cover. Gimbal clamp should be removed before take-off, while the gimbal cover can be removed when it is necessary. It depends on your flight purpose and picture quality.

I'm sorry if the language barrier bothers you, but it can not change the damage assessment result.
2017-9-25
Use props
JeremySear
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-25 20:33
Sir, please kindly note there are two items: gimbal clamp and gimbal cover. Gimbal clamp should be removed before take-off, while the gimbal cover can be removed when it is necessary. It depends on your flight purpose and picture quality.

I'm sorry if the language barrier bothers you, but it can not change the damage assessment result.

What language barrier?

It's not complicated.

If the gimbal clamp being left on is going to BREAK THE AIRCRAFT then the aircraft manual, and the aircraft itself, should make that fact very clear.

They don't.

They simply say you should remove before flight. They do not in any way warn that it's not just an inhibition of function (ie the gimbal can't move), but that it will actually BREAK THE AIRCRAFT.

You can't blame the user if you don't warn them that failure to remove the gimbal clamp will BREAK THE AIRCRAFT.

If you fail to give that warning, then it's your fault and it should be covered by warranty.

2017-9-26
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

JeremySear Posted at 2017-9-26 02:33
What language barrier?

It's not complicated.

I understand your situation. The case has been forwarded to the corresponding department for further assistance, and they will contact you soon.
2017-9-26
Use props
JeremySear
lvl.1
Singapore

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-26 03:00
I understand your situation. The case has been forwarded to the corresponding department for further assistance, and they will contact you soon.

DJI is being extraordinarily unreasonable and bloody-minded about this. I've spent around $2,500 on DJI products in the last few months. I would expect to be treated with a modicum of courtesy and respect.

The bottom line is simply stating in a manual "you should remove the clamp" doesn't in any way warn the user that the consequence is THAT THE AIRCRAFT WILL BREAK. The user might reasonably believe that forgetting to remove the tiny transparent piece of plastic would just stuff up some shots - not that it would DESTROY AN EXPENSIVE DRONE.

If your drone is so badly designed that such a basic, non-obvious mistake could DESTROY THE DRONE then

(a) you should STATE THAT IN THE MANUAL. Not just say "you should take off the clamp". You need to say in big obvious unmissable letters FAILURE TO TAKE OFF THE CLAMP MAY DESTROY THE GIMBAL AND WILL NOT BE COVERED BY WARRANTY. That is not obvious, and not intuitive, and if that's your position you need to state it clearly.

(b) you should also state that very clearly on the drone itself, both next to the power button, and also you should make the gimbal clamp red or orange (NOT TRANSPARENT!) and have a big warning on it as well.

Unless you're trying to screw over your customers and make sure they never buy another DJI product again.
2017-10-1
Use props
JeremySear
lvl.1
Australia

Still no progress. I am extremely, extremely unsatisfied.

All I get is DJI low-level staff telling me "but the manual says remove the clamp". Sure it does. It doesn't warn that the consequence isn't that the gimbal won't be able to take photos, but that the consequence will be the drone breaking. All I get is this repeated back at me by people utterly failing to grasp the point. The drone has been with DJI for weeks. This is such an obvious warranty repair this experience is hurting my brain.
2017-10-2
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

JeremySear Posted at 2017-10-2 21:09
Still no progress. I am extremely, extremely unsatisfied.

All I get is DJI low-level staff telling me "but the manual says remove the clamp". Sure it does. It doesn't warn that the consequence isn't that the gimbal won't be able to take photos, but that the consequence will be the drone breaking. All I get is this repeated back at me by people utterly failing to grasp the point. The drone has been with DJI for weeks. This is such an obvious warranty repair this experience is hurting my brain.

Sorry for the late response first. I believe that we have explained it clearly: we have performed our responsibility to tell you how to correctly use the drone well. It was clearly displayed in the user manual.

If you do not want to repair, please let us know and we will arrange return without repair.
2017-10-4
Use props
JeremySear
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-4 02:59
Sorry for the late response first. I believe that we have explained it clearly: we have performed our responsibility to tell you how to correctly use the drone well. It was clearly displayed in the user manual.

If you do not want to repair, please let us know and we will arrange return without repair.

No, you have not explained it clearly. It is not "user error" if
(a) the drone is so badly designed that not removing the clamp BREAKS THE AIRCRAFT
(b) leaving the clamp on BREAKS THE AIRCRAFT but you have no warnings on the aircraft and in fact have gone out of your way to make the clamp easy to forget by making it transparent!
(c) you have not warned the user that the clamp removal isn't just a performance issue - IT WILL DESTROY THE DRONE.

That is just simply outrageous and shows absolute contempt for the consumer. It's reckless contempt for ordinary consumers using the drones they've paid a lot of money for in a completely reasonable way.

Fine, you get my money this time, because I've had enough of you holding my drone hostage. But I am outraged by the appalling lack of support and will do what I can to discourage people I know from buying from DJI. I will stop buying from DJI myself. And I have spent about $2,500 with DJI this year alone. You will have cost yourself far more than the $139 you make from me by forcing me to use DJI Care Refresh.
2017-10-5
Use props
JeremySear
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-4 02:59

Oh, and just so people know - the warranty department refuse to actually speak with customers on the phone. They leave the phone people talking to the customer, issue their unreasonable decrees, and will not come to the phone to discuss them. It is literally impossible to talk to the person who is making the decision. It is just madness.
2017-10-5
Use props
JeremySear
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-26 03:00

Narrator: they didn't.
2017-10-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

JeremySear Posted at 2017-10-5 21:43
No, you have not explained it clearly. It is not "user error" if
(a) the drone is so badly designed that not removing the clamp BREAKS THE AIRCRAFT
(b) leaving the clamp on BREAKS THE AIRCRAFT but you have no warnings on the aircraft and in fact have gone out of your way to make the clamp easy to forget by making it transparent!

Generally, the drone will do self-inspect once powered on. You may miss the error message such as Gimbal Motor Overloaded, please remove the gimbal clamp.

It is a tough lesson, please take care of this in the future. Always do a fully pre-flight checklist.
2017-10-7
Use props
JeremySear
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-7 02:49
Generally, the drone will do self-inspect once powered on. You may miss the error message such as Gimbal Motor Overloaded, please remove the gimbal clamp.

It is a tough lesson, please take care of this in the future. Always do a fully pre-flight checklist.

Maybe it's a software error, too. The app didn't tell me "gimbal clamp overloaded" until it was in the air, and I immediately flew it back.

Again, this should be covered by warranty.
2017-10-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

JeremySear Posted at 2017-10-8 11:45
Maybe it's a software error, too. The app didn't tell me "gimbal clamp overloaded" until it was in the air, and I immediately flew it back.

Again, this should be covered by warranty.

I just checked the case log, the drone has been in the repair progress. The local team will arrange shipping as soon as it is repaired. Appreciate your time and understanding.
2017-10-10
Use props
JeremySear
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-10 23:42
I just checked the case log, the drone has been in the repair progress. The local team will arrange shipping as soon as it is repaired. Appreciate your time and understanding.

I'm not even close to being happy about this. You refused to honour a reasonable warranty claim and forced me to use my "care refresh", which cost me $139 on top of the $180 I paid originally for the cover. This repair should have been covered by warranty, and you broke the law by refusing to honour it. I have given in and paid the $139 because you had held my drone hostage for more than a month, but I am still appalled and will be doing everything I can to discourage people from buying from DJI.

The fact that the warranty people would not even speak with me just shows the level of utter contempt your company has for customers.
2017-10-13
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

JeremySear Posted at 2017-10-13 18:27
I'm not even close to being happy about this. You refused to honour a reasonable warranty claim and forced me to use my "care refresh", which cost me $139 on top of the $180 I paid originally for the cover. This repair should have been covered by warranty, and you broke the law by refusing to honour it. I have given in and paid the $139 because you had held my drone hostage for more than a month, but I am still appalled and will be doing everything I can to discourage people from buying from DJI.

The fact that the warranty people would not even speak with me just shows the level of utter contempt your company has for customers.

We are sorry for the mishap and the trouble you’ve been experiencing. But we had explained above and our colleagues had also talked to you why it was not in warranty. Since it was the pilot's forgotten to remove to gimbal clamp, the warranty cannot be covered by the user's error. If it is warranty case, DJI will not refuse to offer the proper service that a customer deserves. Hope your kind understanding. Since you had paid for it and the drone was shipped, hope you will receive it soon. And for the pre-flight check, we have a tutorial for your reference, hope it helps.
2017-10-13
Use props
JeremySear
lvl.1
Singapore

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-13 19:38
We are sorry for the mishap and the trouble you’ve been experiencing. But we had explained above and our colleagues had also talked to you why it was not in warranty. Since it was the pilot's forgotten to remove to gimbal clamp, the warranty cannot be covered by the user's error. If it is warranty case, DJI will not refuse to offer the proper service that a customer deserves. Hope your kind understanding. Since you had paid for it and the drone was shipped, hope you will receive it soon. And for the pre-flight check, we have a tutorial for your reference, hope it helps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnXekYjEJA8&index=15&list=PL8-vxWY64sBNLusG0MvxD4Dm-tX4cnvzX

No, "it was the pilot's forgotten to remove to gimbal clamp" is not an adequate explanation or justification for refusing to honour a warranty claim, particularly where
- the manual does not warn that failure to remove the gimbal clamp doesn't inhibit function, it BREAKS THE AIRCRAFT
- you have made the gimbal clamp a tiny transparent piece of plastic, as if you were deliberately trying to make it more likely it would be forgotten
and
- the gimbal clamp SHOULD NOT BREAK THE AIRCRAFT! That is a MASSIVE FAILURE IN DESIGN! That is a fault BY DJI.

And NONE OF YOUR WARRANTY PEOPLE WERE PREPARED TO EVEN DISCUSS THIS. Absolutely appalling.

And no, your purported denial of the warranty in these circumstances was definitely contrary to Australian consumer law.
2017-10-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

JeremySear Posted at 2017-10-15 15:23
No, "it was the pilot's forgotten to remove to gimbal clamp" is not an adequate explanation or justification for refusing to honour a warranty claim, particularly where
- the manual does not warn that failure to remove the gimbal clamp doesn't inhibit function, it BREAKS THE AIRCRAFT
- you have made the gimbal clamp a tiny transparent piece of plastic, as if you were deliberately trying to make it more likely it would be forgotten

We comply with Australian consumer law, and the designated team has explained this. Now that you chose DJI Care Refresh, and the unit has been shipped, please check the tracking number.

It is a tough lesson, let's learn from it and move on.
2017-10-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules