Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
CPU overload, hours of research and described in full
12Next >
7378 68 2017-9-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mavvy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1386637 ft
United States

So i have spent the entire day reading and searching this forum and google about the Cpu overload problem that many of us our experiencing.

It seem that DJI has hung our moderators out to dry.

All Mods have been doing is copying and pasting the same response.

1. Dont' get you monitor in direct sunlight.. LOL  ' Thats a good one "

2. Go4 monitors you CPU usage on your device and prompts this warning.

3. use a sun sheild

Basically they are saying we have no idea and we dont no what to tell you except buy the Crystalsky.

If you are having this problem rest assure there is no fix,
some have had success downgrading.

DO NOT waste your time trying to resolve this issue, YOU NOW OWN IT and there is NO FIX

2017-9-25
Use props
Mavvy
lvl.3
United States

Bump............ so everyone knows
2017-9-26
Use props
Håkan K
First Officer
Flight distance : 262946 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Agree there is something fishy with the app. I have *never* seen any other app generating a warning of CPU overload. Not even Waze that drains my battery in 20 minutes. Did you try disable video caching and hardware encoding?
2017-9-26
Use props
JRH23
lvl.4
Flight distance : 494042 ft
United States

I received this warning as well today for the first time. I'm wasn't sure if it was the Mavic CPU or my iPhone? I am running the most recent firmware on my Mavic and also have updated to iOS 11. If it is phone CPU related maybe due to the resources iOS 11 consumes? I have an iPhone 6S Plus.
2017-9-26
Use props
Timbit31
lvl.4
Flight distance : 304209 ft
Canada

I had the same error this past weekend and have iOS 11 and latests DJI upgrades.  My iPad mini 4 was very hot but I have had the Mavic for 4 months now and this is the first time seeing this error.  I noticed the screen was lagging and acting strange.  It was very hot here in Toronto 40c with humidity and the hottest day I have ever flown since getting the Mavic.  I will try again when this heat wave breaks this weekend.

Tim
2017-9-26
Use props
Mavvy
lvl.3
United States

Håkan K Posted at 2017-9-26 08:56
Agree there is something fishy with the app. I have *never* seen any other app generating a warning of CPU overload. Not even Waze that drains my battery in 20 minutes. Did you try disable video caching and hardware encoding?

Yes i did now its not even worth flying it
2017-9-26
Use props
Deggers
lvl.1
Flight distance : 181772 ft
United Kingdom

Had this at the weekend for the first time too. Jack crap to do with temps it was cloudy in the UK and 12-15 degrees c - nothing was hot and yet CPU overload.

In summertime when i couldnt see my screen in open fields at 20 degrees plus before iOS11 and DJI updates etc - rock solid never had the message.
2017-9-26
Use props
JRH23
lvl.4
United States

I forgot to add this to my post above but it was hot today when I was flying. Around 85-90F. I have flown in heat like that before and never got the warning though.
2017-9-26
Use props
DJI-Mark
First Officer

United States

JRH23 Posted at 2017-9-26 09:00
I received this warning as well today for the first time. I'm wasn't sure if it was the Mavic CPU or my iPhone? I am running the most recent firmware on my Mavic and also have updated to iOS 11. If it is phone CPU related maybe due to the resources iOS 11 consumes? I have an iPhone 6S Plus.

Did you just update to the new operating system on your phone? If you fly in the afternoon on a hot day, you may get the overheating warning more. Land your aircraft and then allow time for everything to cool off. Evening time and morning may be a better time to fly.
2017-9-26
Use props
TroutboyNZ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1726486 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

That's crazy Dji... perhaps put disclaimers on the Mavic stating, only fly morning and evening?! I'm sure we didn't all buy this product to be hamstrung by only using when it's cool!'!! I so wish Dji would cut all the crap from the app like Editor... who on earth uses it, it serves no purpose other than to consume more resource and complicate flight issues as above.
2017-9-26
Use props
droneflyers.com
First Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

All of this has been well known for over two years - as it occurred with the heavy processing first released in the Phantom 3 models.
I'm amazed that folks don't know about this. If people like, I'll point to ancient LONG articles and potential fixes for it.....

The basics are that Go is a MUCH heavier app (it's actually a vast application using virtually every system in the smart device) and therefore taxes just about device. ALL devices are heat sensitive and slow down or even turn off in warm situations. My iphone 6 shuts off when I take it out on my sailboat (75 Degrees F and wind)....when it gets a bit of sun.

These are, in general, not "defects" but rather the expectations of people who may not be familiar with mechanics, physics, electronics and the history involved. If DJI wanted to make an app with almost no features and very low quality FPV, then it could run cooler.

As it stands, most users work around it in various ways.
Yes, there may at times be updates that make it worse - or better. If it gets worse, the next update is likely to make it better. Also, various adjustments of the app (turning off vid cache, etc.) can definitely help.

Here is one example of a 2+ year old article discussing CPU throttling:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/ ... -Thermal-Throttling

I haven't had this happen since I got rid of my cheapo android devices - of course, I also don't fly in 90 degree weather in the sun. I use a sunshade and almost always control in the shade. I keep my devices cool (relatively) until I use them. I usually turn them on before I use them (rather than using them right from my pocket after using lots of other apps)....

My guess is that the speed of battery drain is not totally related to heat released. That is, maybe GPS uses a lot of battery, but doesn't get as thermally hot. I you consider the number of systems being used at one time by the DJI Go app, you'll get the idea.

Turn off bluetooth (of course!). Turn off wireless on most models. Turn off Video cache and also look at various other settings. Every little bit helps.

Happy Flying!

2017-9-26
Use props
Mavvy
lvl.3
United States

TroutboyNZ Posted at 2017-9-26 13:59
That's crazy Dji... perhaps put disclaimers on the Mavic stating, only fly morning and evening?! I'm sure we didn't all buy this product to be hamstrung by only using when it's cool!'!! I so wish Dji would cut all the crap from the app like Editor... who on earth uses it, it serves no purpose other than to consume more resource and complicate flight issues as above.

I totally agree !  

DJI is a complete joke when it comes to owning their problems
2017-9-26
Use props
Jeff7577
First Officer
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

It’s not their problem, it’s your device being overworked/overheated.
2017-9-26
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Timbit31 Posted at 2017-9-26 09:58
I had the same error this past weekend and have iOS 11 and latests DJI upgrades.  My iPad mini 4 was very hot but I have had the Mavic for 4 months now and this is the first time seeing this error.  I noticed the screen was lagging and acting strange.  It was very hot here in Toronto 40c with humidity and the hottest day I have ever flown since getting the Mavic.  I will try again when this heat wave breaks this weekend.

Tim

I have read many previous posts stating that when their I Phone or tablet get hot they get a lot of video lag, nothing about CPU overload though.
2017-9-26
Use props
JRH23
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-26 13:22
Did you just update to the new operating system on your phone? If you fly in the afternoon on a hot day, you may get the overheating warning more. Land your aircraft and then allow time for everything to cool off. Evening time and morning may be a better time to fly.

This is the second flight since I updated to iOS 11. The first one was a shorter flight though and the weather wasn’t as warm. I didn’t have any issues then. So the warning is in regards to the phone CPU and not the aircraft CPU?
2017-9-26
Use props
sigkill
lvl.3
Canada

DJI has added lots of things to the GO app that some people might not want or need and it is very good that they put a CPU overload warning it! People can use old GO app if their phone doesn't like the newer CPU hungry version.
2017-9-26
Use props
Mavvy
lvl.3
United States

sigkill Posted at 2017-9-26 15:20
DJI has added lots of things to the GO app that some people might not want or need and it is very good that they put a CPU overload warning it! People can use old GO app if their phone doesn't like the newer CPU hungry version.

Can you tell me how to find old versions of GoApp for IOS
Thanks
2017-9-26
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2017-9-26 14:07
All of this has been well known for over two years - as it occurred with the heavy processing first released in the Phantom 3 models.
I'm amazed that folks don't know about this. If people like, I'll point to ancient LONG articles and potential fixes for it.....

but this issue has only gotten worse the more updates DJi does.    i been too busy all day today to test out dji go 4 11 and ios 11.0.1 combo but i can say that dji go 4 10 and iso 11 definitely felt like was almost double processing time/delay added even on recent powerful hardware.  

yes older slower devices are feeling the issues more than ever, however this is a bug in the app causing it more than anything, bad coding somewhere is taking the long way around causing slowdowns and pushing cpu harder then needs to be.  dji go app draining my batteries faster than any other app on on my iPad... by a large margin..  i hadn't flown in probably 12+ hours since i checked battery options in settings..  and even so i been using alot of youtube, iMessage, facetime and facebook and safari today and even so, top draining app in last 24 hours is DJI Go 4...  impressively unoptimized if an hour and half of use in dji go 4 app while flying draining more power then 4-5 hours of video streaming at full brightness..12+ hours later..

2017-9-26
Use props
fansa7dc5944
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Simple answer. The heat comes from cpu/gpu are working hard with the video data. Proof is the CPU overload message. The higher the video resolution the more CPU load occurr.
In previous aircraft model like P3 the resolution on mobile device is 720p or lower, less performance mobile device can handle this without problem. In general, you do not need to capture high resolution video at mobile device because you record them in microsd inside aircraft. Try setting proper video feed resolution or disable video cache to reduce CPU/GPU work load.
2017-9-26
Use props
Håkan K
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

droneflyers.com Posted at 2017-9-26 14:07

I'm flying my Mavic, P4, P4 Advance and Inspire with various FW updates but not on the latest GO and GO4. and I have no CPU warnings. I have disabled the caching I have to add. So something is wrong with recent GO updates. It's just a bad coding.
If the apps are so complex there must be a way to turn off features so it can be used together with supported devices.
2017-9-26
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-9-26 17:42
Simple answer. The heat comes from cpu/gpu are working hard with the video data. Proof is the CPU overload message. The higher the video resolution the more CPU load occurr.
In previous aircraft model like P3 the resolution on mobile device is 720p or lower, less performance mobile device can handle this without problem. In general, you do not need to capture high resolution video at mobile device because you record them in microsd inside aircraft. Try setting proper video feed resolution or disable video cache to reduce CPU/GPU work load.

i dont know if im lucky or unlucky, but i have not seen any popups in latest updates for my iPad mini 2 saying my CPU is maxed out of fully loaded or watever it usually says..  i used to see that many updates ago like 3 or 4 updates ago, but now on dji go 4 11 i haven't seen it nor on 4 10 did i..  im also on iOS 11.0.1..

ill do more testing, however it appears every update DJi has done its added more latency and hiccups...  i tried a reinstall and that didn't fix it, i can confirm with my GF's iPhone 7 and her iPad pro that is additional latency as well using my "flick test"  where i hold aircraft up and flick it sideways and see the delay on screen, normally on her iPhone 7 and iPad Pro the lag is almost invisible less than 1/4 second like 1/8th second..  my iPad mini 2 is closer to 1/4 second, now however it is legitimately 1/4 second or more on her iPhone 7 and iPad pro..and on my iPad mini 2 its about the same, but it hiccups..  

using it in the heat, yes thermal throttling is a thing im aware of, however on my mini 2 i haven't noticed any difference between running the app from inside my air conditioned CAR and flying around outside and standing out in the direct sunlight letting it heat my iPad up, both seem to start showing more hiccups around 30 minute mark or about a couple minutes into second battery.. so my guess is its more related to memory management bug or a caching issue, i do have caching disabled however but it is still possible that the app is still caching stuff in background.  my guess is based on the fact it takes about same amount of time it maybe related to memory leak issue..

we are all aware that Dji has made a mess of this application, a confusing mess at that.  so hopefully dji can revamp this app and fix the issues..  

i have a theory that maybe hardware acceleration bug is back, where it is not properly decoding via the GPU and instead taking the long way around and using the CPU causing a lot more load and heat for many people and usually not a difference in input/output latency with cpu vs gpu decoding unless the cpu is loaded down and clogged up then the gpu usually has lower latency..so my theory seems to make sense also cpu decoding is way more power consuming, make sense why its draining battery so rapidly..
2017-9-26
Use props
DJI-Mark
First Officer

United States

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-9-26 17:42

lowering video resolution can be a positive step. In fact, if your intention is to put up on Youtube, you don't even need to get to 4k.
2017-9-27
Use props
DJI-Mark
First Officer

United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2017-9-26 22:39
i dont know if im lucky or unlucky, but i have not seen any popups in latest updates for my iPad mini 2 saying my CPU is maxed out of fully loaded or watever it usually says..  i used to see that many updates ago like 3 or 4 updates ago, but now on dji go 4 11 i haven't seen it nor on 4 10 did i..  im also on iOS 11.0.1..

ill do more testing, however it appears every update DJi has done its added more latency and hiccups...  i tried a reinstall and that didn't fix it, i can confirm with my GF's iPhone 7 and her iPad pro that is additional latency as well using my "flick test"  where i hold aircraft up and flick it sideways and see the delay on screen, normally on her iPhone 7 and iPad Pro the lag is almost invisible less than 1/4 second like 1/8th second..  my iPad mini 2 is closer to 1/4 second, now however it is legitimately 1/4 second or more on her iPhone 7 and iPad pro..and on my iPad mini 2 its about the same, but it hiccups..  

Try flying in the morning or at the end of the day to see if you have this issue or not. The only time such a warning came on my mobile device was when I was flying in the middle of a hot day.
2017-9-27
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-27 07:40
Try flying in the morning or at the end of the day to see if you have this issue or not. The only time such a warning came on my mobile device was when I was flying in the middle of a hot day.

So there's also no headspace for the app? It only runs on a device @ 100%.  This is how is seems on Crystalsky, all Android devices I've tried/owned, and now iOS.

The real question is when will the app receive money for a rewrite to current (& future) coding? The Android app was written for Android 5, for example.
2017-9-27
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-27 07:40

i did some testing today, not a huge amount, and i found when using litchi app (latest beta) if i disable then re-enable hardware decoding again, its very snappy even on A7 devices like the iPad mini 2..  very little delay.. i did 2 full runs on each app, Dji go 4 11, and Litchi (1100), i found litchi handled the stream by way and far the best with hardware decoder enabled, it also didn't create much if any extra heat either.  disabling hardware decoder it acted a lot like how Dji go 4 11 acts, hiccups and has a large delay at times upwards of half second of pausing or delay..

i did my flying in middle of the day, but inside my car with AC blasting, my iPad ice cold from the vent blowing on it..while the iPad mini 2 did not get hot or warm with AC hammering on it, the dji go 4 11 app acted exactly the same as always, started hiccuping/hitching here and there, the latency was ever increasing... its acting like its using software decoder or something less efficient than GPU decoding..  using litchi and toggling hardware decoding on, didn't encounter any extra latency or hitching/hiccuping the delay pretty much consistently 1/4 sec or less..whereas dji go 4 11 was pushing on 1/2 second at times and it was stalling the feed out (specially with notifications popping up)
2017-9-27
Use props
$gambino$
First Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

I used to get this with my Nexus 6p sometimes I do not get it at all with my Galaxy S8 Plus actually things have been very good no disconnects or anything lately
2017-9-27
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Update: our engineers are working on the CPU Overload popping up issue that happened on iPad mini, and will have it optimized in the coming version. Appreciate your patience.
2017-9-27
Use props
Frits48
First Officer
Flight distance : 155961 ft
Canada

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-27 22:53
Update: our engineers are working on the CPU Overload popping up issue that happened on iPad mini, and will have it optimized in the coming version. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you - the fix cannot come fast enough and will be much appreciated!

I have some 200 flights on my Mavic and use a dedicated iPad mini 4. Never had any issues until the last update.
Now it gives me the “CPU overload” right at startup before even taking off!
2017-9-28
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Frits48 Posted at 2017-9-28 02:53
Thank you - the fix cannot come fast enough and will be much appreciated!

I have some 200 flights on my Mavic and use a dedicated iPad mini 4. Never had any issues until the last update.

Noticed it, will have this optimized. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your patience.
2017-9-28
Use props
Mavvy
lvl.3
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-28 03:44
Noticed it, will have this optimized. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your patience.

Are you referring to ipad mini or all IOS devices

and When, When will this be resolved ??

Thank you Mod and i understand DJI pretty much sweeps you guys under the rug and makes you the middleman to diffuse all these issuses

Please tell us a date on which this will be resolved  
2017-9-28
Use props
DJI-Mark
First Officer

United States

Mavvy Posted at 2017-9-28 05:39
Are you referring to ipad mini or all IOS devices

and When, When will this be resolved ??

As the engineers are working on this resolution, there is not a date that can be provided. You will see the resolution given in the form of a firmware update.
2017-9-28
Use props
Håkan K
First Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-28 06:40
As the engineers are working on this resolution, there is not a date that can be provided. You will see the resolution given in the form of a firmware update.

You mean GO app update? (and not firmware update)
2017-9-28
Use props
DJI-Mark
First Officer

United States

Håkan K Posted at 2017-9-28 09:12
You mean GO app update? (and not firmware update)

Both actually although firmware update is what is most required.
2017-9-28
Use props
djiuser_bUExeuP
lvl.3
Flight distance : 70200 ft
United States

My issue likely goes into a different forum thread, but this one does have a lot of points I am interested in keeping in mind; and possibly related. I am brand new with the Mavic with just a few flights.

The Mavic and controller have been updated to 1.04.
I am using an Insignia (Best Buy OEM) tablet with Android 5.0.2 to run the DJI GO 4 app, version 4.1.9

CPU wise this is not a very fast tablet, nor does it have a lot of extra memory. (I had purchased it primarily because it has a high resolution screen.) The app is slow to get going, and can be a little finicky. The CPU also gets surprisingly hot. But something I've seen reproducibly on the last two flights is that the screen camera feed, then the app itself freezes up half way into the second Mavic battery - after about 30 minutes. The controller is still working but the app more or less stops.

My first guess would be that maybe the cache memory has filled up and the tablet has trouble clearing it out, and still keep running. I am trying to learn ways to reduce the video and memory load on the processor.
2017-9-28
Use props
Mavvy
lvl.3
United States

djiuser_bUExeuP Posted at 2017-9-28 13:38
My issue likely goes into a different forum thread, but this one does have a lot of points I am interested in keeping in mind; and possibly related. I am brand new with the Mavic with just a few flights.

The Mavic and controller have been updated to 1.04.

well you are have very similar problems. when i first got the Mavic, " 1 week after it's release " i used the ipad mini 2 with hundreds of flights with Zero issues concerning CPU or Video lag.

As Dji Go4 has grown, so has the problems.

My Mavic is useless now !!!!!!!!!!!!  Seriously worthless unless i carry a ice pack around with me to sit the ipad mini on while i fly it.  Most of the time I just don't have a ice pack sitting around LOL.
The cache i believe it not the problem because in the past I never had any lag what so ever or problem with the cache,  The Lag in the video feed starts when the device gets hot toward the end of the flight, the first 10 minutes of evey flight is perfect now but once it gets hot it's game over
2017-9-28
Use props
HyLenz
First Officer
Flight distance : 1848182 ft
United States

I have had the same issue, first noticed back in June. Mavic was perfect until i started seeing the CPU overload message, choppy live feed and iPad getting hot. DJI is aware and says there will be a fix with the next set of updates, per Thor. But i wouldn't say this is entirely DJI's fault. I did some testing today. iPad Mini2 32GB, ios 11, all latest DJI Go 4 and firmware. Earlier this week, i got the CPU message at about 25 minutes total, 20 minutes on the first battery, then land change battery, and maybe 5 minutes into the second. This ended my day. I had driven about 4 hours just to film at this spot. This has happened several time this summer.
Today, i reset my iPad back to IOS 10.3.3 and reloaded DJI Go 4. I flew through all 3 batteries, about 55 minutes without a problem. The iPad did not get hot, not even a little. I would guess Apple made some changes along the way that affected DJI's code. I am confident DJI will catch up. In the meantime, if you have a iPad dedicated for flying, try downgrade to IOS 10.3.3 until it gets fixed. It worked for me, but do it at your own risk. IOS 10.3.3 is still signed and available here: https://ipsw.me/. Use itunes to restore.
2017-9-28
Use props
EastyT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

I believe that this is the same issue that has been plaguing Android users since March.  The android device would get hot and throttle back causing jerky video and signal errors ( due to delay in signal updates) because the processor was throttled back due to the heat.  This caused app crashes and restarts and lack of usability.  It seems that over the past month, this issues has been addressed as I have not had a crash since then.  It used to crash at least once a flight.  Don't get me wrong, my Android phone still gets hot, but I think that some change has brought this under control.  Even the ratings in the play store have started to come back (increase) a little from a dismal 2.7/5.  I am sorry that our IOS brethren are having this issue, but I guess it's your turn.  I hope that it doesn't take the 6 months that it took to fix the Android GO4 to fix this IOS version.  Good luck!
2017-9-28
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Mavvy Posted at 2017-9-28 14:18
well you are have very similar problems. when i first got the Mavic, " 1 week after it's release " i used the ipad mini 2 with hundreds of flights with Zero issues concerning CPU or Video lag.

As Dji Go4 has grown, so has the problems.

The new version 4.1.12 has released. Please check an update. And looking forward to your feedback after updating.
2017-9-29
Use props
Håkan K
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-29 03:23
The new version 4.1.12 has released. Please check an update. And looking forward to your feedback after updating.

And it has a fix for the overloaded CPU issue?
2017-9-29
Use props
Mavvy
lvl.3
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-29 03:23

Thank you !

IOS also has a new update as of today as well, we will see.

Will check back in later with a report
2017-9-29
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules