Gimbal Overload AGAIN!
2708 28 2017-9-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dx_Operator
lvl.2
Flight distance : 140413 ft
United States

Had to sent the Mavic back in August for the sudden gimbal overload issue which was caused when I updated the firmware to .09. No one from DJI would acknowledge the issue just that they would repair it.

I asked for details of the repair and the cause. I want to know what they found and what was repaired. No REPLY!

Now the error reoccurred !! Now I have to send this thing back again!
Even though I explained this is a reoccurrance I get the form letter emails blah blah blah and no one acknowledged an issue.

I refuse to go through this time after time and the only solutution is send it back!

What the heck is the issue, why did this occurr!!

This is all with very little use probably 3hrs total just easy use.

Ideas / suggestions ? Anyone else having this issue?

John

2017-9-25
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Did you check the serial number of the one you received back from the repair in August, and are you sure it's the same drone?  One reason they might not have replied to your query about the cause is because they did not know at that point.  Your original one could have been tossed on the rejects heap to be examined at a much later date and sold as a refurb, but until that happened they honestly couldn't tell you anything.  And DJI is not really in the habit of telling us much of anything in such cases anyway.
2017-9-25
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

So you have used this repaired or replacement drone for 3 hours before the problem occurred?
I just have to wonder if there is something you are doing inadvertently that is causing the problem.
Do you store/carry the Mavic without the gimbal clamp?
Do you frequently start the Mavic with the gimbal clamp still on?
Are you using an ND filter, and if so, what brand?
I doubt that a firmware update caused the problem unless the update had some corruption otherwise, there would be thousands with the same problem.
Install the latest firmware and check that the gimbal is seated correctly.
2017-9-25
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-9-25 20:45
So you have used this repaired or replacement drone for 3 hours before the problem occurred?
I just have to wonder if there is something you are doing inadvertently that is causing the problem.

Dear Jenee 2,

One questions: do you think it is really necessary to store the MP with the clamp on?
Thanks!
2017-9-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

You have our sincere apologies for the trouble you are experiencing. Could you please answer the following questions for the basic troubleshooting?
Did the gimbal ever be collided?
Did you remove the gimbal clamp in every flight?
Did you usually store the Mavic without gimbal clamp?
Please check if the vibration absorbing board is mounted properly.

Besides, could you please leave us with the previous case number?
2017-9-26
Use props
Mugasha
lvl.1
Flight distance : 96135 ft

My gimbal overload issues were all fixed when I replaced the ribbon cable on the camera, you can get one for 20 bucks on Amazon and the replacement process is fairly simple
2017-9-26
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

DocAraxá Posted at 2017-9-26 03:43
Dear Jenee 2,

One questions: do you think it is really necessary to store the MP with the clamp on?

Anytime I transport the MP I put the clamp on.
2017-9-26
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Brazil

Mugasha Posted at 2017-9-26 04:24
My gimbal overload issues were all fixed when I replaced the ribbon cable on the camera, you can get one for 20 bucks on Amazon and the replacement process is fairly simple

Dear Mugasha,

Would you, please, give us more information.
It will be very helpfull as this problem is incredibly commom.
Thanks.
2017-9-26
Use props
Dx_Operator
lvl.2
United States

ghostrdr Posted at 2017-9-26 07:47
Anytime I transport the MP I put the clamp on.

Like wise I'm sure. Even purchased a nicer two in one cover / clamp because I know how important it is.

What bothers me in the reoccurring issue and the lack of comm from DJI repair folks.

If the customer asks specifically what was the issue, cause and effect then you provide it!!
2017-9-26
Use props
Dx_Operator
lvl.2
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-9-25 19:45
Did you check the serial number of the one you received back from the repair in August, and are you sure it's the same drone?  One reason they might not have replied to your query about the cause is because they did not know at that point.  Your original one could have been tossed on the rejects heap to be examined at a much later date and sold as a refurb, but until that happened they honestly couldn't tell you anything.  And DJI is not really in the habit of telling us much of anything in such cases anyway.

Same unit and yes I checked the SN right away.
2017-9-26
Use props
Dx_Operator
lvl.2
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-9-25 20:45

Yes.

I install the clamp immediately when I'm done flying.  

No ND filter.

Check for seating was the first thing I did this time and last.

The ac worked fine, flew it that day. Came home saw the update from .08 to .09 completed update, power cycled the ac and the gimbal started flopping around and the error appeared within the DJI Go program.

Not feeling great about this pricey device with no replies from the vendor. I also don't enjoy repeating my questions and they are never answered then I receive some form email !!

Tech support folks can do a better job for such a popular product.  Read the notes, read the questions and reply accordingly. If I reference a previous case then read the notes!  Don't ask me the same questions again. I have not tech support at all levels and I don't appreciate being blown off!
2017-9-26
Use props
Dx_Operator
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-9-26 04:04
You have our sincere apologies for the trouble you are experiencing. Could you please answer the following questions for the basic troubleshooting?

Did the gimbal have a collision ? NO
Of course I remove the clamp every time before I power up the AC.
Yes I store the ac with the clamp in place. I install the clamp immediately every time after I'm done flying.

Vibration board is mounted properly.

These are all basic questions are should be a given for each operator. I read a lot about operation of this pricey device. I'm vary familiar with the use and handling.

2017-9-26
Use props
Dx_Operator
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-9-26 04:04

Current Case # CAS-1024185-H9B2T8

Previous case # CAS-803312-F8J1G5

2017-9-26
Use props
Dx_Operator
lvl.2
United States

Gimbal overload - Separated

Posting my gimbal are issue post in my own thread as it was getting length in some other author post.
_Operator Posted at 2017-7-24 05:20

Mavic is packed and ready to send into DJI for repair of this Gimbal overload / heat failure. Purchased March 2017 and don't have more than 5hrs flight time. DJI sent me a prepaid return label so it seems they know this may be some common issue and my Mavic is under warranty.

Stay tuned..will let everyone know how I make out.

Collapse quote
You must be adamant with DJI support. I sent my Mavic in that has no more than 5 hrs flight time. Explained to then as I have here. Look the issue did NOT occur until I updated the firmware. I also mentioned the many operators here that encountered the same issue.  I also pointed out there is not a scratch on the Mavic.

I did all this to head off any BS they would come up with not to repair it under warranty.

Well I get statement back from DJI within two days of them receiving it stating the gimbal arm
needed to replaced and it would cost ME $59 for the part and it would take them two hours to
repair it at $65 per hour!!

Oh yeah you think so. I blasted them first with a phone call then updated my case notes.
This is were being adamant comes in. If you don't stand your ground you must understand
their marching orders are bill the customer and they will just accept it to get the Mavic back.
If you don't make a good case and lead the dog to water they will brush you off and just send you
a bill.

Not this guy, I know how these places work and two days later just a short time ago received an
email retraction of the bill!! Yea you bet you will. DJI said it will be return in a week.

I wanted to pass along this information. Also read the warranty period for each part of the Mavic.

The gimbal arm which was damaged when the firmware update was done. This sent it into a spaz attack and broke it with the flopping around everyone here is all too familiar with after the firmware update.  This has 6 month warranty but I would push for free replacement after this DJI firmware update issue.  

Dx_Operator Posted at 2017-7-24 05:20
Mavic is packed and ready to send into DJI for repair of this Gimbal overload / heat failure. Purchased March 2017 and don't have more than 5hrs flight time. DJI sent me a prepaid return label so it seems they know this may be some common issue and my Mavic is under warranty.

Stay tuned..will let everyone know how I make out.

You must be adamant with DJI support. I sent my Mavic in that has no more than 5 hrs flight time. Explained to then as I have here. Look the issue did NOT occur until I updated the firmware. I also mentioned the many operators here that encountered the same issue.  I also pointed out there is not a scratch on the Mavic.

I did all this to head off any BS they would come up with not to repair it under warranty.

Well I get statement back from DJI within two days of them receiving it stating the gimbal arm
needed to replaced and it would cost ME $59 for the part and it would take them two hours to
repair it at $65 per hour!!

Oh yeah you think so. I blasted them first with a phone call then updated my case notes.
This is were being adamant comes in. If you don't stand your ground you must understand
their marching orders are bill the customer and they will just accept it to get the Mavic back.
If you don't make a good case and lead the dog to water they will brush you off and just send you
a bill.

Not this guy, I know how these places work and two days later just a short time ago received an
email retraction of the bill!! Yea you bet you will. DJI said it will be return in a week.

I wanted to pass along this information. Also read the warranty period for each part of the Mavic.

The gimbal arm which was damaged when the firmware update was done. This sent it into a spaz attack and broke it with the flopping around everyone here is all too familiar with after the firmware update.  This has 6 month warranty but I would push for free replacement after this DJI firmware update issue.  

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-2 20:04
Sorry for this, may I have your case number? I'd like to look into it.

Collapse quote
CAS-803312-F8J1G5 CRM:0001000901734

Thank you for your time Diana.

I recorded our chat log as well.

2017-9-26
Use props
Dx_Operator
lvl.2
United States

Guys as I stated in my previous posts in this thread just send it back.

My issue started after the latest update to  3.09 whatever it is.
It has not been acknowledged by DJI this caused the issue but there is nothing else I did to
create the issue. The mavic ran flawless until I did the update.

Then as previously stated the gimbal arm did it spaz out flip and flopping and CS says the arm was
damaged yes by your firmware update not my use!!

DJI can update what is causing this issue and hopefully it does NOT happen again.

Yes it sucks and its very expensive tool but they paid for shipping both ways and completed the repair.
About three weeks by the time I received my Mavic back.

I did have an issue with the mavic not binding to my controller.

Now that should not be caused by this gimbal arm repair but I spent over two hours via chat
since CS was closed trying to get in linked back to the controller.

If I had known I would have just followed these instructions in this video link below.
It sure would have been quicker than trying to chat with CS and the guy had no clue and I had to
keep repeating things.

2017-9-26
Use props
Dx_Operator
lvl.2
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-13 22:45
Just checked this case, the drone has been repaired and shipped out, I've tracked the tracking number, I think you've received the drone, right? Did you check the performance of the drone, is it working properly?
Collapse quote
Yes I received the mavic and now it has the same issue AGAIN!!

It was working fine for about three hours  then the same error occurred.
Sent it back in 9/25/17

2017-9-26
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Dx_Operator Posted at 2017-9-26 10:19

Sir, I'm sorry for the all inconvenience. I have double checked the first case, our colleagues did flight test and the drone worked well at that time, so the unit was shipped around 6th August.

As for the second case, it is created at 22nd September and the package is on the way. Our local team will conduct damage assessment once received the unit, we will keep follow up for you.
2017-9-26
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

DocAraxá Posted at 2017-9-26 03:43
Dear Jenee 2,

In my opinion, once you have finished flying then you should put the gimbal clamp in place. It just means that any additional handling and travel won't put any unnecessary movement on the gimbal. I always put the gimbal cover on as well to keep the camera clean of dust etc.
2017-9-26
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Brazil

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-9-26 21:43
In my opinion, once you have finished flying then you should put the gimbal clamp in place. It just means that any additional handling and travel won't put any unnecessary movement on the gimbal. I always put the gimbal cover on as well to keep the camera clean of dust etc.

Thank you very much for your attention and reply!
2017-9-27
Use props
Dx_Operator
lvl.2
United States

Having a terrible time with customer service. It seems no one reads the case notes from the customer me. I've explained so many times in the current case notes what happened to cause a rough landing of my Mavic after it was almost completely lost.

No one reads what I have stated and just reiterate time after time was the flight data logs.

If the customer explains what happened then listen to them don't go off of a script to make the customer pay for the repair. That is such poor practice to ignore a customers statement, not call them back as requested.

I encountered a No Fly Zone issue. I'm authorized to fly in this area via DJI Fly Safe team. I have explained too many times that the flight data occurrences were ONLY due to the NFZ failing while in flight
and causing the ac to fly erratic and was almost lost if not for my quick reaction to get the ac back to the RTH location.

Someone at DJI please have a high level customer service manager contact me about this as everyone so far has not read or addresses the fact the NFZ failed and almost crashed my ac.
Regardless what the RMA folks state I was flying in good conditions, ac was line of sight or I would have lost it. Also the gimbal over load occurred before the NFZ failure.

Please help!!

Here is a brief exert I sent to repair folks again. This is my 4th time explaining this yet no one addresses what I have stated about the NFZ failure.

Once again you are missing the key part.

The NFZ kicked in when it should not have!! You are not reading my extensive notes and answering my questions.

Have 2nd level supervisor contact me at once ( left my contact #)

You are wasting my time. Stop telling me about the flight data. I don’t doubt what it says, what I have been explaining is why it shows what it does.
Which was NOT due to any negligence or responsibility on my behalf !!  

Repair my Mavic completely free of charge and return it to me.

Your no fly zone NFZ is responsible for an attempted crash on top of a building!
I was able to limp it home when NFZ algorithm was attempting to land it away from RTH and it would have crashed and be lost!!!
This flight data is not caused by my ac operation of flying but the erratic behavior when NFZ kicked it when it should not have as I am authorized via your flysafe team!!

Attention Oscar –  DJI supervisor who called me twice but was never available when I returned his phone calls and has NOT called me back even though I've requested it 4 times!

My point that I was trying to make about the fly safe issue is that there is an issue that occurred after the gimbal overload message. I checked all that I’m familiar with that issue the next day and attempted to fly.
Mavic obtained it’s RTH point and took off in the NFZ area that I have clearance for. As previously explained in the case notes several times, when the ac was about 50’ away and 50’ up I received the warning NFZ!!

That should not have kicked in as I was in the authorized area. The ac became erratic and came down very quickly to land on top of a building !!

It should have RTH as it was set before takeoff as I always engage before flight but with the NFZ warning engaged the AC was not controllable as it should have been.
It should have landed RTH but it picked up speed and almost crashed!! Luckily I was able to bring it back to my sponge landing pad that was in thick grass.

The only notification I received were on the controller. After it landed I drove to a non NFZ area to check functions and it was fine except the gimbal arm issue that pre-existed this flight.
DJI Go ap said the NFZ authorization had expired ! It had not! I immediately sent an email to the fly safe team and created a case for the reoccurring gimbal arm issue.
There is no reason the ac should try to land when NFZ glitches and tries to land on top of a three story building and it should not pick up speed and almost crash!!
It should RTH in a gradual movement.
If I was not in line of site I could have lost the ac all together or possibly not found where it crashed or landed. I was very lucky.

Any issues you see in the flight data logs are attributed to this NFZ alone.
I know there is no way to guarantee the NFZ functions but this override should not be offered to the public if it’s unstable as it was for me.
I’m very careful and never fly reckless or in areas that are dangerous. I followed the DJI process to allow flight in this area.

I’m in this NFZ area to chronical the construction of my companies new campus building project otherwise I would not deal or attempt to fly at all within NFZ areas but DJI offers the
authorization mechanism and it should not glitch with my very expensive ac.

I hope you are clear now what my concerns on going forward with the repair under complete warranty.

I’m not confident to continue my company chronical of the building project if there is any possibility of a crash of this type or the erratic flight as it was very unsettling and scary.
Next time I may lose my ac all together and never find it.

Are these facts clear ?

Thank you for your time and understanding.

I’ve had to explain this situation in several emails and verbally it’s very frustrating and time consuming that I don’t have time to spend.

Flysafe case # 755235 and have the certificate for operation in this area.

John

2017-10-3
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Damn this is really frustrating to say the least and still no MP.  Customer service is a big deal in my book.
2017-10-3
Use props
Dx_Operator
lvl.2
United States

Sportbike_Pilot Posted at 2017-10-3 16:08
Damn this is really frustrating to say the least and still no MP.  Customer service is a big deal in my book.

I've never dealt with CS at this level if ignorance! I deal with large and small companies designing their networks and dealing with any issues.

If I ignored them as I'm being ignored here I would not have a job. I cannot tell if it's the same tech in the repair shop or what. They must hide that info from the customer.

I will keep escalating this until DJI covers the repair and someone specifically addresses the NFZ issue that caused this and shows me an understanding of my numerous statements and questions rather than just blowing me off with a script book reply!!!

UNACCEPTABLE !!
2017-10-3
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dx_Operator Posted at 2017-10-3 17:49
I've never dealt with CS at this level if ignorance! I deal with large and small companies designing their networks and dealing with any issues.

If I ignored them as I'm being ignored here I would not have a job. I cannot tell if it's the same tech in the repair shop or what. They must hide that info from the customer.

Exactly, completely unacceptable. Continue your persistence until you get your questions answered period.

Good luck !
2017-10-3
Use props
Dx_Operator
lvl.2
United States

Sportbike_Pilot Posted at 2017-10-3 17:58
Exactly, completely unacceptable. Continue your persistence until you get your questions answered period.

Good luck !

I want DJI whoever does read the customer notes to acknowledge the crash data comes from the NFZ authorization override glitching and almost causing the ac to crash and be lost! They just don't get it. It's as if I'm speaking a foreign language and they don't ask for a translator.

DJI if you don't understand the words I wrote then call me!! damn it ! Don't repeat yourself as you sound so ignorant!

Now fix my ac and don't send me a damn invoice again with BS excuses!

2017-10-4
Use props
Dx_Operator
lvl.2
United States

Oct 10th no calls from anyone.

I even sync'd my flight data and it shows 17 sats so the repair folks saying 2 sats and poor condition is BS!

Now what excuse will I hear about repairing my mavic pro at once and returning to me at no cost as it should have been decided last week!!

Come on it's two days after an entire week off due to some holiday in China, lets get back to work.
2017-10-10
Use props
Alexei Merinov
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4796509 ft
Vietnam

in fact, everything is fine with you - do not worry.
DJI makes an excellent product.But there is no support.
In my case it turned out to be zero - I was sent to do warranty repairs to Australia. It's just under my feet - on the other side of our planet ..

After that, I flipped through the forums, ordered Ali for a new loop of camera suspension control (10USD).
And in a couple of weeks, when he came to me, he replaced. The replacement process is about two hours. There is nothing complicated.
This is faster than DJI's support, it's more enjoyable than communicating with this team.
2017-10-10
Use props
Dx_Operator
lvl.2
United States

Alexei Merinov Posted at 2017-10-10 21:16
in fact, everything is fine with you - do not worry.
DJI makes an excellent product.But there is no support.
In my case it turned out to be zero - I was sent to do warranty repairs to Australia. It's just under my feet - on the other side of our planet ..

I agree with you about easier than communicating with the support team at least this time around.
I don't understand if they ignore your statements or questions just because we as the customer could not know more than they do or is it ego scripted into a protocol I was told they follow.

Well if someone jumped off a bridge as the old saying goes in the US would you do the same?

I told the one guy in support who told me he was following protocol you need to think outside the box and always remember the customer is right!!  He was lost of course raised in a different culture and cannot think for himself but what someone dictates to him.

We shall see how much longer it will take to for DJI support to finally fix my Mavic and not charge me a dime considering the circumstances caused by their NFZ algorithm.

Stay tuned.

Glad your mavic is repaired you certainly had a read screwy deal with who you bought it from and where it can be serviced.
2017-10-11
Use props
Dx_Operator
lvl.2
United States

No reply, no calls NOTHING since 10/11 when I received this email stating someone will review this case!

What is going on?

This should not take this long and I should have my Mavic in my possession by NOW!

John
2017-10-17
Use props
Dx_Operator
lvl.2
United States

No one called me at all and wed I called in again. I was told they dropped the ball and sorry no one called me back. I've been dealing with this lack of consideration for almost 30 days!!

UNACCEPTABLE !!

If I did not call in I would have not heard from anyone, that would be because I had a good cause for the crash data that some clown at HQ totally ignored and was called a liar as i was told that I was not in a NFZ
and the repair would not be covered by DJI.

Unfortunately there is no resolution. The issue encountered previously documented here has been completely ignored at HQ.

I was told as you will read below that I was NOT in a NFZ therefore that could not be attributed to the cause of the crash data.

They have my flysafe information, the gps coordinates and none of this was considered.
HQ and all others except Oscar in repair sees crash data and stated they will not warranty the repair too bad we don't believe you!!

If they check my gps and the flysafe information they would have seen where I was flying and furthermore the first ignorant tech that reviewed
my crash data said I was flying in poor conditions only 2 sats and that was wrong as well, my flight data says 17 sats!!

I have no recourse, no one HQ will speak with the customer, I requested escalation as this is ignorant to the highest level.

This is my email sent back:

Subject: CAS-1042500-X7Q9H7 CRM:0674000001631
Importance: High

Dear Oscar –

Forward this email to HQ management.

I did make payment under the highest protest last night for my repair as I’m tired of dealing with incompetence and I have been going through this 28 days which is also unacceptable I should have been granted warrantied work.

Thanks for your help, I understand your hands are tied when it comes to this complaint / dispute / repair.

I completely protest my payment for the repair and want this complaint and email forward to an arbitrator and escalated within HQ.
The analysis is 100% inaccurate and was NOT reviewed by a competent individual at HQ.

It is unfair and not good ethics to have any one person deny a customers’ request and not have an opportunity for the customer feedback, rebuttal and discussion about said decision.

This is gross negligence on behalf of DJI and the support HQ staff. I will file a complaint with the federal trade commission if this is not arbitrated at the earliest time.

Number one point and it is fact: I WAS IN A NFZ AREA and this decision maker at HQ says I was not and dismisses my complaint and request for my repair to be covered by DJI.

Answer: I COULD NOT!!

You cannot indicate this cause as the data CLEARLY SHOWS my location and I have the flysafe authorization. How could I have this information if I was NOT in a NFZ??
It is a shame that I have explain how to determine what I’ve stated for 28 days now, review the flysafe request, note the GPS location, and note my gps data at the time of the incident.

Where was I? in the NFZ north of the Easterwood airport in Bryan, Texas you ignorant person.  

Since I submitted this repair case I have been stonewalled/ ignored and blown off  by the same rhetoric from every department except the repair folks namely Oscar who has no recourse to override what HQ says.
Everyone has stood behind the crash data as it’s explained. I have contended from the start the NFZ algorithm failed causing the incident. This FACT has been IGNORED TIME AFTER TIME!
This conclusion by HQ is unacceptable and I demand this issue is escalated at HQ as I was told that I was NOT IN A NFZ!!!    FALSE FALSE FALSE  !!

I know exactly where I was located and the events that occurred. Read what I have extensively documented in very clearly, in written English if you need me to explain this over the phone I would be happy to.

GPS data and NFZ flysafe data doesn’t lie, look at the coordinates and note the airport to the south and read the regulations about distance from such an area. This pertinent information was not reviewed because if it was it is obviously present in a NFZ and I was using your override flysafe application.
This program failed and caused the crash data present. Once again I was very lucky not to have lost my ac.

No get off your butts and read the entire case notes and do something about it besides deny my request and indicate I was NOT in a NFZ!! WRONG WRONG WRONG!!

For your reference refer to the following cases:

Complaint case # CAS - 1042500-X7Q9H7

Repair - CAS-1024185-H9B2T8 CRM:0890000000866

NFZ – 755235 authorization and case for glitch failure of this override algorithm.

I can be reached at xxx

Very upset and unhappy customer when he is ignored and disrespected by this false claim and lack of consideration for the facts!
2017-10-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules