Head Tracking with cinematic smoothness
1367 3 2017-9-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sigkill
lvl.2
Canada

I am a happy owner of Mavic + Goggles, both sporting the 0700 firmware. The only problem I am having (and it is a major one) is that the head tracking is not smooth. The gimbal mode is jerky and the video records with a horrible jello effect, and the flying mode is simply jerky. This makes creating nice dolly/jig shots with a cinematic quality impossible, which is what I was hoping to use the setup for.

I had to revert the Goggles firmware to 0700 from 0900 because the head tracking would not function at all with that combination. I have read that a Mavic with 0400 can at least have head tracking on the pitch axis (which is really the only axis needed for my use), but I assume it is also jerky.

I did notice that the Goggles on 0900 had options to change the 'sensitivity' of the head tracking, but that on its own wont make anything smoother. Smoothing would require a process not unlike waypoint path smoothing.

I think that it would also be preferred have the options to disable head tracking yaw, while allowing head tracking pitch.

So is anyone aware of a firmware combination that offers the ability I describe? Thanks for reading!
2017-9-26
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Sigkill, did you shoot a video at that time? Any error message? Please provide the original video to us.
2017-9-26
Use props
sigkill
lvl.2
Canada

Hi Elektra, I did make a video and that's when I noticed the gimbal jello effect and jerking movements. I cannot upload video because I live on the edge of town where the only internet is from LTE cellular, and its too expensive to use that much data for me. There was no error messages.

I have changed Mavic to 0400 and Goggles to 1000 now and while I have no gimbal yaw tracking I do have much better gimbal pitch tracking so I will try some flights. I will probably have to stay with this configuration because I have no extra phone to for using DJI GO app because that phone stays in the house to give internet, and other firmwares seem to require the app on the remote or the Mavic wont fly correctly.
2017-9-26
Use props
roamer105
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3156145 ft
  • >>>
United States

Absolutely agree with asking DJI to implement a THIRD head tracking mode: PITCH ONLY!!
2017-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules