Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Magnetic Errors and Takeoff
2618 16 2017-9-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SAR Steve
lvl.1

United States

Has anyone launched the 210 in P-Mode with compass erros becuase of magnetic metal influence? Curious if the vision system can be relied on to overcome the compass error.
2017-9-26
Use props
djiuser_AhTsbnu
New

United States

Just came in from the field with the same errors...... close call fly away but able to land it quickly. looking at all firmware data updates first and then move on from there.
2017-9-26
Use props
ukaleq
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1303780 ft
Germany

So it looks like this "pro" system is just as unreliable as the cheap phantoms...Flying them in Greenland was a nightmare.
2017-9-26
Use props
eColumbia01
Second Officer
United States

I don't know if the matrice series is any different from the consumer DJI drones. If a drone reports compass errors, then I would expect you would want to launch the drone in atti mode to avoid using the gps/compass navigation. At a later time switch to p mode once you are away from the interference.

I'm not sure what you mean by using the visual system to overcome navigation errors like a compass error.
2017-9-26
Use props
HV_Sparks
lvl.1
Flight distance : 732267 ft
United Kingdom

Known problems with the M200's as I was going to borrow a 210 RTK for a demo but it was serviceable.
2017-9-27
Use props
ukaleq
Second Officer
Germany

HV_Sparks can you be more specific? You mean these problems have been identified and are being fixed? I'm interested in this aircraft but given the high price tag I don't want to make any mistake.
2017-9-27
Use props
DJI-Mark
First Officer

United States

A common mistake with building many of these systems is the instillation of the GPS system. It is not recommended to fly if you are experiencing compass issues and no, I would not use a vision system to override compass issues. If you are getting notifications of compass issues due to magnetic interference, try flying in another place first to see if you get the same issues or not.
2017-9-28
Use props
ukaleq
Second Officer
Germany

What do you mean with the installation of the GPS system? that when the drone is assembled they put the GPS chip/antenna in a wrong place, where signal reception is bad?
2017-9-28
Use props
TheMann58
Captain
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

SAR Steve -

I do not own a Matrice 200. However, I do own a P3Pro, P4, P4Pro and an Inspire 1 and have been flying them for 3 years. This is what I know from that 3 years of experience. All DJI aircraft are subject to compass errors and/or magnetic compass interference when attempting to launch the aircraft directly from or immediately adjacent to a reinforced concrete structure containing rebar, girders, etc. Locations to avoid would include concrete parking lots/patios, concrete driveways, concrete roadways, building roofs, parking structures, and even some concrete sidewalks. Worst case scenario - magnetic compass interference on launch can result in erratic aircraft behavior: random drifting, random jerky movements, the aircraft suddenly taking off full-speed in some random direction, aircraft flipping over on the ground, and/or crashes.

Never, NEVER plan to launch your DJI aircraft from any location subject to magnetic compass interference. If you forget about this issue and try to launch from reinforced concrete, the DJI GO/PILOT app MAY remind you about this issue by displaying Compass Error or Magnetic Compass Interference messages. Heed those warnings seriously -- if you are on the ground, do not take-off; if you are in the air, land immediately -- and find another launch location. Unfortunately, if you take off from or immediately adjacent to a reinforced concrete structure, the DJI GO app may not warn you BEFORE you take off. You may not get this message until you are in the air. Then all hell can break loose. So, avoid getting yourself in that situation.

ALWAYS plan your jobs so that you launch from PREFERABLY a grass or dirt area nearby your job target. Asphalt parking lots and roadways are typically OK so long as there is no reinforeced concrete underneath them. I always bring a 18" diameter plastic launch pad with 4-inch legs, so I can launch from grassy/muddy areas if necessary without soiling my aircraft legs. Fortunately, all DJI aircraft have substantial range capability, so you can almost always find an acceptable grass, dirt or blacktop area to launch from within a quarter mile distance with line of sight visibility of your job target. Just be careful not to attempt to launch from a sod-covered rooftop or underground parking structure - these locations will still have substantial potential magnetic interference.

ALSO, in my experience, once you take off from an area NOT subject to magnetic compass interference, you can THEN safely fly over, fly around and/or land on a reinforced concrete structure with no aircraft stability problems. This magnetic compass interference issue is primarily an issue only during aircraft launch - not after launch or when landing.
2017-9-28
Use props
Kevin Van Alask
New

United States

looked at every button, started up away from truck and another uav operator and stood in the middle of a huge  gravel pit, still the same problem.... then I noticed the wifi was on  in the Crystal sky Tablet. I turned it off. I started to fly the controller flashed red (for a second) and then flew off with no problems. NOt sure if that was the only reason but for now that is what I am sticking with! Flew like a champ after that!
2017-9-29
Use props
ukaleq
Second Officer
Germany

good news!
2017-9-30
Use props
ukaleq
Second Officer
Germany

Are you happy with the Crystal Sky by the way? Some people complained of sudden crashes.
2017-9-30
Use props
SAR Steve
lvl.1

United States

eColumbia01 Posted at 2017-9-26 20:21
I don't know if the matrice series is any different from the consumer DJI drones. If a drone reports compass errors, then I would expect you would want to launch the drone in atti mode to avoid using the gps/compass navigation. At a later time switch to p mode once you are away from the interference.

I'm not sure what you mean by using the visual system to overcome navigation errors like a compass error.

Interestingly, as long as I was getting the error, the 210 would not start, even in ATTI mode. Seems there is a safety option to just prevent it starting, never mind flying. I can understand why but the inability to override this in certain situations can be irritating.
2017-9-30
Use props
SAR Steve
lvl.1

United States

TheMann58 Posted at 2017-9-28 12:04
SAR Steve -

I do not own a Matrice 200. However, I do own a P3Pro, P4, P4Pro and an Inspire 1 and have been flying them for 3 years. This is what I know from that 3 years of experience. All DJI aircraft are subject to compass errors and/or magnetic compass interference when attempting to launch the aircraft directly from or immediately adjacent to a reinforced concrete structure containing rebar, girders, etc. Locations to avoid would include concrete parking lots/patios, concrete driveways, concrete roadways, building roofs, parking structures, and even some concrete sidewalks. Worst case scenario - magnetic compass interference on launch can result in erratic aircraft behavior: random drifting, random jerky movements, the aircraft suddenly taking off full-speed in some random direction, aircraft flipping over on the ground, and/or crashes.

Thanks.

I can confirm the landing in the same area is no issue at all. Just launching, even if in ATTI mode.
2017-9-30
Use props
SAR Steve
lvl.1

United States

Kevin Van Alask Posted at 2017-9-29 21:22
looked at every button, started up away from truck and another uav operator and stood in the middle of a huge  gravel pit, still the same problem.... then I noticed the wifi was on  in the Crystal sky Tablet. I turned it off. I started to fly the controller flashed red (for a second) and then flew off with no problems. NOt sure if that was the only reason but for now that is what I am sticking with! Flew like a champ after that!

Were you able to repeat the fix or do you think it was just a fluke?
2017-9-30
Use props
Kevin Van Alask
New

Canada

SAR Steve Posted at 2017-9-30 19:03
Were you able to repeat the fix or do you think it was just a fluke?

flew it once after that and all systems go!!
2017-10-16
Use props
Kevin Van Alask
New

Canada

ukaleq Posted at 2017-9-30 05:45
Are you happy with the Crystal Sky by the way? Some people complained of sudden crashes.

No crashes yet with the crystal sky, but the software stopped once.... knock on wood. I am in the arctic and our flight window has closed in on us , so until next spring or a more southern job comes up we are grounded.  OH, and the crystal sky IMO is pretty sweet, the nice thing about it too is that if you need to ,you can buy more batteries for the screen and controller if needed (I believe) One draw back is that it is not a regular tablet for adding other apps. and DJI has got to get their act together so we can mission plan for photogrammetry sessions
2017-10-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules