What is the second USB port for?
4725 22 2015-4-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gwhiz2k
lvl.3

Canada

I notice that the remote has 2 USB ports, on regular sized and another smaller one.

What is the second one used for? Can it be used just like the regular one?

I ask because my regular USB port still doesn't seem to be working (no response from DJI for 8 days), and I'm wondering if I can get an adapter and use the other port?

Thanks..

2015-4-5
Use props
limbt11
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1711296 ft
Singapore

I was wondering too.... Not sure what it is for
2015-4-6
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

Don't think so.  You are referring to the mini usb at the rear of the ship.  They are referring to the one in front. I think it can be used just like the other port
2015-4-6
Use props
gwhiz2k
lvl.3

Canada

Hi

No, I mean on the remote. My main USB port might be fried, so I'm wondering if I can use the second one instead (smaller, Mini port). See picture.

remote_2nd_usb.jpg
2015-4-6
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

TRY it. I would think so
2015-4-6
Use props
gwhiz2k
lvl.3

Canada

DJI Manual says it's for "connecting to your computer", but nothing happens when I do that. I get a device show up in device manager called "DJI CONTROLLER", but can't seem to access it.
2015-4-6
Use props
theac3man
lvl.1

United Kingdom

You can charge the controller via the mini usb
2015-4-6
Use props
gwhiz2k
lvl.3

Canada

theac3man Posted at 2015-4-7 06:11
You can charge the controller via the mini usb

Tried that. Doesn't work. DJI USA support didn't seem to know what it does either, although he's seen techs make use of it. He said to go ahead and try it with an adapter/cable to see if it works. Otherwise, I have to send in my entire Inspire/Remote
2015-4-6
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

gwhiz2k Posted at 2015-4-7 13:24
Tried that. Doesn't work. DJI USA support didn't seem to know what it does either, although he's s ...

That USB port is for firmware upgrade!
2015-4-6
Use props
gwhiz2k
lvl.3

Canada

bornish@gmail.c Posted at 2015-4-7 13:33
That USB port is for firmware upgrade!

Well, if that's the case, then it's the same as the other one, because the main (larger) one is the one everyone uses for a firmware upgrade... You can't plug any conventional USB drive into a Micro port without an adapter...
2015-4-6
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

gwhiz2k Posted at 2015-4-7 14:49
Well, if that's the case, then it's the same as the other one, because the main (larger) one is th ...

Well, not necessarily like the main USB port. As I see it (as a non DJI engineer), using the micro-USB port and a piece of software that DJI is NEVER going to release to the public, one could install firmware (even when no firmware is installed or is corrupt), run diagnostic tools, change settings, and so on...
Yes, I do realize that the CAN bus port may also be used for diagnostic tools... maybe even both ports at the same time. These are simply undocumented for a reason.
The main USB port we are using is probably configured for firmware communication with "peripherals" such as a mobile device and a memory stick / card reader. Thus, the firmware is programmed to detect the device connected and trigger a specific operation (firmware upgrade, I/O communication with the DJI Pilot application running on the mobile device,...).
What I am trying to say is that most probably the firmware has not be programmed to even look at both USB ports. Also, the micro-USB port may only allow the RC to act as a slave to a connected PC, thus being the peripheral to the PC.
Have you tried talking to the 24/7 Chat Support? If they have never suggested to try using the micro-USB port in any way since your main USB port is non-responsive, I would not hope for any other solution than sending the RC for repair.
Regards,
Bogdan
2015-4-6
Use props
gwhiz2k
lvl.3

Canada

bornish@gmail.c Posted at 2015-4-7 15:11
Well, not necessarily like the main USB port. As I see it (as a non DJI engineer), using the micro ...

Thanks for the detailed reply Bogdan.

Yes, tried talking to 24/7 online support, but they didn't seem to want to help. Told me to call DJI USA. I did keep prodding though, and the person online didn't have too much help. Just said I'd probably have to send it in.

DJI USA said 6 to 8 weeks. Really sucks. But the DJI USA phone support said to try the other USB, so I guess it can't hurt. I'm hoping it's a redundant port. [crosses fingers]
2015-4-6
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

the second usb is for future use :-)
2015-4-7
Use props
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11796312 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gwhiz,

I have just tried the mini usb port to my tablet that I have the pilot app on and there's no reaction from it,
once disconnected from mini and connected to standard usb port the app connects as normal to the rx and I1.
I tried a mini to standard usb adapter,
whether a direct mini on 1 end and a standard on the other end will work instead of the change over adapter that I have just tried is another option, I f I can find 1 layed about I will try it.. Hope this helps eliminate 1 option for you.

Regards
Mike.
2015-4-7
Use props
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gwhiz,

"whether a direct mini on 1 end and a standard on the other end"

Sorry meant mini usb on both ends,, in my case anyway, Samsung TabS mini usb connection.

Regards
Mike.
2015-4-7
Use props
gwhiz2k
lvl.3

Canada

Grimtheviking Posted at 2015-4-7 17:01
gwhiz,

I have just tried the mini usb port to my tablet that I have the pilot app on and there's no ...

Thanks for that

Sounds like I have to send it in. Looks like I'll be without it for 6 to 8 weeks. That hurts. Bad. Its' a warranty issue, so why can't they just send me a new remote and I'll send back this one?

If it WASN'T under warranty, I'm pretty sure I could just open it up and re-solder or replace the USB port in 1/2 hour.
2015-4-7
Use props
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Had the same problem with mine, contacted UK supplier and he just swapped for a new remote.
The usb connection is loose fitting on this 1 though,,,
Hope you get sorted soon.

Regards
2015-4-8
Use props
gwhiz2k
lvl.3

Canada

Grimtheviking Posted at 2015-4-8 19:02
Had the same problem with mine, contacted UK supplier and he just swapped for a new remote.
The usb  ...

Starting to think I should have just ordered from a dealer. If they know what the problem is, why do they need the entire A/C? That even rules out me buying a second remote and using that while my other one gets fixed. :/
2015-4-8
Use props
gwhiz2k
lvl.3

Canada

I still don't get it though... I plug my Android into it, and it charges it (though no connection to the app), and I plug my iPad into it, and it says "Trust this device?" (with no connection to the app), but if I plug a USB stick into it to re-do the firmware, nothing happens. I got another USB with an indicator light, and at no time does it ever flash.

Is it possible for only PART of a USB port to be fried?

2015-4-8
Use props
leonardfc
lvl.1

Indonesia

Hi i have the same problem too
2015-7-14
Use props
skyvideoct
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1136230 ft
United States

It's my recollection that there is a distinct difference in USB port configurations. The standard (large) usb is a "host" connector and the smaller (mini/micro) is a receiver/client only. Much like bluetooth, there are specific protocols available to each port. Harken back to the RS232 serial days and there was always a M/F port that would be configured as host/client and there was no mixing between the two. Just MHO.
2015-7-14
Use props
Rbimd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 407710 ft
United States

Guys,
that is a mini USB input port. The other, larger one is USB output. Presumably the input port is there for some purpose, perhaps the ability to do firmware upgrades from a PC rather than using the micro SD card.
2015-7-14
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

bornish@gmail.c Posted at 2015-4-7 15:11
Well, not necessarily like the main USB port. As I see it (as a non DJI engineer), using the micro ...

Bogdan has it correct
2015-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules