Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How to shoot this photo better?
736 3 2017-9-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
justin_mcvideo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 191896 ft
United States

Hi everybody, I was a few minutes late shooting this location last night, it's the Ogden Canyon Waterfall in Utah, just after sunset.

I realize there's not much that can be done now, but in the future, how would you have shot this photo, to get sufficient lighting of the waterfall and also a decent sunset?

I thought of AEB, but I don't have Lightroom (yet).  Is there a better way to shoot it initially, what settings?

I do have Lightroom on my Samsung tablet but honestly haven't had the time to dive into it yet.  

Thanks

2017-9-27
Use props
Steve Slechta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31276 ft
United States

I would move the drone to the left more to get more sunset than hill in the view.

Steve
Flight distance : 5852
Flight distance + Litchi: 72741
2017-09-24 - Breezy Island Flight
2017-9-27
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

AEB is always a good idea as you get 3 or 5 different exposures to choose from or blend in an HDR image.

You have a problem with the white balance which is making thedeep shade go all purple.
Another issue is the contrast between the bright sky and the deep shadow which will always be a problem as it's more than the camera can handle.
If the foreground subject is strong enough to work, I'd forget the sunset idea all together and shoot it when it's properly lit and with some nice clouds if you're lucky.
I might also do a vertical panorama to show more of what's lower down too.
2017-9-27
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Time of day to shoot is crucial.  Ansel Adams used to camp out at a location for a day to look for best light.

I've done something similar by setting up a trail camera locked to a tree with a cable and let its intervalometer run for a few days shooting every 10-15 minutes and then review the camera images looking for the best time to shoot at a spot.  Works best in mountainous and forested areas where shadows can cover up spots.  Larger sporting goods store carry them and not that expensive.  Mine with cable lock was less than $100.

2017-9-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules