1234Next >
8113 120 2017-9-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pvt Pilot '79
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1000272 ft
United States

I finally got some great news from DJI support. For the first time, they've admitted to me that there is a problem with version 106 and it is being worked on "as we speak." There will be a new firmware released although they could not tell me when (which I do understand). This is the fourth time I've reached out to them and all times before was told that I would need to send my P4 to them. This primarily pertains to the erratic flying characteristics. I'm remaining positive for now.
John
2017-9-27
Use props
Professor Paoli
New
Flight distance : 26621 ft
Belgium

I hope so that the problems will be solved with this new update.
2017-9-27
Use props
UnFlyable2
lvl.1

United States

Maybe this year!!
2017-9-27
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

...does anyone have any insight on why not all Phantoms are effected by this?  I've updated two different P4Ps with this FW version and have not had the problems most have described.  I have had annoying issues with pop up warnings about radio interference that don't seem warranted and wind warnings when no wind, as well as obstacle warnings where there were no obstacles.  But I've had no erratic flight characteristics or gimbal problems.  The one thing I have not fully addressed is video taking and use, I'm still new and I have not even began to push my video taking capabilities.  
I'm extremely curious why so many have had these problems while some have not, that part just doesn't make sense to me, and apparently doesn't make sense to DJI either.  I do count myself fortunate, and hope they'll fix these problems soon.  
2017-9-27
Use props
echopiece
lvl.3
Flight distance : 225266 ft
United States

That would be great if this is true.  I will finally be able to take my P4 out of the closet and blow off the dust!
2017-9-27
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-27 09:51
...does anyone have any insight on why not all Phantoms are effected by this?  I've updated two different P4Ps with this FW version and have not had the problems most have described.  I have had annoying issues with pop up warnings about radio interference that don't seem warranted and wind warnings when no wind, as well as obstacle warnings where there were no obstacles.  But I've had no erratic flight characteristics or gimbal problems.  The one thing I have not fully addressed is video taking and use, I'm still new and I have not even began to push my video taking capabilities.  
I'm extremely curious why so many have had these problems while some have not, that part just doesn't make sense to me, and apparently doesn't make sense to DJI either.  I do count myself fortunate, and hope they'll fix these problems soon.

I saw on another site where someone pinged the DJI servers and got some bad packets down, something like a 25% loss against Amazon who had zero packets loss.  I'd think there would be a better way to insure any data coming down would be correct, but given their software and firmware issues, maybe not.

Could be the reason why sometimes a download and refresh works for some.  I couldn't get the NFZ update to work until I did a refresh of the drone and then the NFZ update worked.  Same version too.  Others uninstall GO 4 and reinstall and it suddenly works.  Others have to log in and out mutliple times for the distance unlock.  Dunno.

I've updated other devices and one time I bricked one and it had to be sent off to be fixed with a new board installed.  Nothing changed other than the BIN file version update, and the loader on the computer was the same, but it just bricked it.  It worked for some evidently.
2017-9-27
Use props
rclzzz
lvl.2
Canada

I'll believe it when I see it. Entire summer of projects where I couldn't use my p4. Cheers DJI!
2017-9-27
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

He's referring to the 02.00.0106 firmware for the Phantom 4, the firmware for the Phantom 4 Pro is different. Your Phantom 4 Pro should be at V 01.04.0602 if on latest.
2017-9-27
Use props
echopiece
lvl.3
Flight distance : 225266 ft
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-9-27 10:16
I saw on another site where someone pinged the DJI servers and got some bad packets down, something like a 25% loss against Amazon who had zero packets loss.  I'd think there would be a better way to insure any data coming down would be correct, but given their software and firmware issues, maybe not.

Could be the reason why sometimes a download and refresh works for some.  I couldn't get the NFZ update to work until I did a refresh of the drone and then the NFZ update worked.  Same version too.  Others uninstall GO 4 and reinstall and it suddenly works.  Others have to log in and out mutliple times for the distance unlock.  Dunno.

I wonder if this has anything to do with those who hung up at 99% download?  My P4 hung at 99% and I have all of the common issues.
2017-9-27
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

rclzzz Posted at 2017-9-27 10:20
I'll believe it when I see it. Entire summer of projects where I couldn't use my p4. Cheers DJI!

That pot of gold is out there SOMEWHERE at the end of the rainbow..............
2017-9-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Welcome to the world of variables.
These complex products have so many variables, it is hard to find out the exact reason for a problem. It might be a specific combination of circumstances that triggers a  'bug'.
There is a lot going on in the brain of the AC to keep it in the air and even more to keep it stable.
It takes many reproducible cases to find the actual cause and usually you can only try and prevent the issue by introducing more checks.
2017-9-27
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
United States

echopiece Posted at 2017-9-27 10:35
I wonder if this has anything to do with those who hung up at 99% download?  My P4 hung at 99% and I have all of the common issues.

Could be part of that.

Given how large GO 4 is too, there might be something behind why these downloads are failing for some.  Maybe they should design a computer-based loader that can download, and then verify the update or re-download and verify before it installs to the RC or drone.  I know there are times when my internet connection stutters for some reason, and one of the modem makers tells me to unplug the modem from power and replug it after a minute and then it all works again.

I've also noticed some software completely wipes its prior versions off the computer before a new version installs.  Seems to happen with sundry drivers too.  Might be better overall and leaves less garbage and patching behind.
2017-9-27
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-9-27 10:51
Could be part of that.

Given how large GO 4 is too, there might be something behind why these downloads are failing for some.  Maybe they should design a computer-based loader that can download, and then verify the update or re-download and verify before it installs to the RC or drone.  I know there are times when my internet connection stutters for some reason, and one of the modem makers tells me to unplug the modem from power and replug it after a minute and then it all works again.

"Maybe they should design a computer-based loader that can download, and then verify the update or re-download and verify before it installs to the RC or drone. "

They do, it's called DJI Assistant 2 and you'll also need it to do VPS calibration.
2017-9-27
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Did you talk to an engineer?
2017-9-27
Use props
Pvt Pilot '79
lvl.3
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-9-27 11:04
Did you talk to an engineer?

Nope. Support rep. All I'm saying is that this is the first positive feedback I've received since the start of this. Every other time it's been "We haven't heard of this before" or "please start a case number and we'll arrange for you to send your P4 in for service....etc". Or when we ask one of the DJI people that show up on this forum occasionally about the problem, they never respond...basically they go dark on us. I was ready to just rollback to 602 again but I think I'll hold off for now.
2017-9-27
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-9-27 10:56
"Maybe they should design a computer-based loader that can download, and then verify the update or re-download and verify before it installs to the RC or drone. "

Wrong.

It doesn't do RC updates.  It also doesn't verify the download, AFAIK, as the fimrware in my drone had some bad prior load it did where Assistant 2 didn't recognize it nor did it do the NFZ update either.   Most have it hang someplace, and with some it works so there are other issues going on.  If it were a proper download and loader, it would recognize issues with the download and tell you if it and what failed or at least try again.

2017-9-27
Use props
PowerBand1
lvl.3

Australia

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-9-27 12:17
Wrong.

It doesn't do RC updates.  It also doesn't verify the download, AFAIK, as the fimrware in my drone had some bad prior load it did where Assistant 2 didn't recognize it nor did it do the NFZ update either.   Most have it hang someplace, and with some it works so there are other issues going on.  If it were a proper download and loader, it would recognize issues with the download and tell you if it and what failed or at least try again.

The latest firmware issues seems only to affect P4 2016 models first batch...
2017-9-27
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-9-27 12:17
Wrong.

Well, not completely wrong.

It does RC updates for the Mavic, Spark and I believe the P4 Pro and P4 Advanced. So it seems they have moved on a bit since the P4 was introduced eighteen months ago.
Error checking would be an integral part of the download process. So that shouldn't really cause to many problems nowadays.
And there is always the option to refresh or factory reset the firmware in Assistant 2.
2017-9-27
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PowerBand1 Posted at 2017-9-27 12:54
The latest firmware issues seems only to affect P4 2016 models first batch...

"The latest firmware issues seems only to affect P4 2016 models first batch..."

My P4 was purchased in April 2016 and it seems it only had problems when recording in 4k @ 30 fps. The current beta release 02.00.0300 seems to have sorted that.

2017-9-27
Use props
CentralOtagoKiw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 170988 ft
New Zealand

Aardvark Posted at 2017-9-27 12:59

My P4 was purchased in April 2016 and it seems it only had problems when recording in 4k @ 30 fps. The current beta release 02.00.0300 seems to have sorted that.

Same here - purchased in NZ in early July, 2016.
2017-9-27
Use props
wangrincreation
lvl.4
Flight distance : 984436 ft
Canada

Same here too, except I have wobbling issue
2017-9-27
Use props
Cinefilms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118829 ft
Dominican Republic

Aardvark Posted at 2017-9-27 12:59

uhmmmm.....try recording 1920 x 1080 at 60fps. You will see how different image quality is. Also, take photos in RAW and JPEG and see for yourself how jpeg's are ok while RAW are out of focus. Any issues with battery comsupsion!?
2017-9-27
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-9-27 10:32
He's referring to the 02.00.0106 firmware for the Phantom 4, the firmware for the Phantom 4 Pro is different. Your Phantom 4 Pro should be at V 01.04.0602 if on latest.

Aardvark,
Thanks
Interesting, I did not realize the difference.  So, based on what you know, does that account for the differing results?  In other words, does this mean that P4Ps are performing better by far than Phantom 4s?  I am gonna assume P4As are also different, and therefore do they have differing performance results with their latest FW?
This seems like a tracking nightmare...
2017-9-27
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-27 10:46
Welcome to the world of variables.
These complex products have so many variables, it is hard to find out the exact reason for a problem. It might be a specific combination of circumstances that triggers a  'bug'.
There is a lot going on in the brain of the AC to keep it in the air and even more to keep it stable.

Based on that, I'm amazed it works at all...
2017-9-27
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-9-27 12:55
Well, not completely wrong.

It does RC updates for the Mavic, Spark and I believe the P4 Pro and P4 Advanced. So it seems they have moved on a bit since the P4 was introduced eighteen months ago.

Aardvark
No DJI Assistant 2 does not update the RC that I am aware of for the P4P.  The only way the manual says you can update the RC is via GO 4.  If there is a way to use Asst. 2, I would prefer that, but I've seen nothing that says it can.  Open to any info on that...
2017-9-27
Use props
fans1f690efe
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

I wouldn't hold my breath, sorry for sounding so negative but I've a pain In my ass with this disastrous firmware.
2017-9-27
Use props
Pvt Pilot '79
lvl.3
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-27 15:28
Aardvark
No DJI Assistant 2 does not update the RC that I am aware of for the P4P.  The only way the manual says you can update the RC is via GO 4.  If there is a way to use Asst. 2, I would prefer that, but I've seen nothing that says it can.  Open to any info on that...

I had a reply today from one of the DJI forum watchers and she said that Assistant 2 does NOT update the RC, at least for the P4S.  I was wondering if the newest release that came out for Assistant 2 did and I just missed it.
2017-9-27
Use props
Pvt Pilot '79
lvl.3
United States

fans1f690efe Posted at 2017-9-27 15:59
I wouldn't hold my breath, sorry for sounding so negative but I've a pain In my ass with this disastrous firmware.

I hear you. What really ticked me off was never getting an answer. I decided to keep inquiring about it and the one guy I reached today was proactive about telling me that they are aware and are they're working on it NOW.  I really can't see them ignoring everyone forever about this. I think that the brass upstairs put out a memo to all customer support people not to say anything about it until they learned more and had a fix on the way. Not the best strategy in my opinion but if at the end of the day everything gets back to working again, I'll be happy. But I WON'T just automatically do an update ever again. That's for sure.
2017-9-27
Use props
Cinefilms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118829 ft
Dominican Republic

If you want to see what the 300 beta does to the P4 check this dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pwlu8qgqs1i0kk5/AAC6eqnIllm8xRZxZ7xgQu7Aa?dl=0

It affects image quality on video resolutions lower than 4k. In photos, jpeg files are ok while raw files are a bit out of focus.

Overall, it’s like solving some things and on the other hand affecting others. I really hope dji finally brings a stable solution for all users.
2017-9-27
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Pvt Pilot '79 Posted at 2017-9-27 16:02
I had a reply today from one of the DJI forum watchers and she said that Assistant 2 does NOT update the RC, at least for the P4S.  I was wondering if the newest release that came out for Assistant 2 did and I just missed it.

I have not heard, the only exception to the P4P product line is for the P4P+.  That RC can be updated using a downloadable file on a Micro SD card, as the Plus RC has a micro SD card slot.  The P4P regular does not have that capability.  Either way I know of nothing that says the RC can be updated through Asst. 2.
2017-9-27
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pvt Pilot '79 Posted at 2017-9-27 16:02

No, you and she are correct regarding the P4, it is done via DJI Go 4. The Mavic & Spark can be done via Assistant 2. And Genghis9 has confirmed that the P4 Pro (and presumably the P4 Advanced) are done only through DJI Go 4 as indicated in the P4 Pro manual.

With a good internet connection and wifi from your router there really shouldn't be any issue in performing the updates. The installation sticking at 99% was not uncommon and seems to have been Assistant 2 (earlier versions perhaps) not correctly reporting completion. As to the latest build for the P4 to V02.00.0106. There are a very mixed bag of reports, with presumably many successes (probably a silent majority), and significant amount with instability problems that I suspect DJI are working on. Certainly their release of Beta (was issued by request) V02.00.0300 seems to have cured the problem of camera stopping recording and gimbal resetting when using 4k @ 30 fps.
However there are also a growing number reporting issues when upgrading the P4 RC to V1.9.3. Once again I had no problems with mine, and I suspect it is similar to the P4 upgrade in that the majority are probably OK, BUT once again for a significant minority not so.

There have been a number who have re-flashed the firmware a couple of times, perhaps with various permutations of SD card in or out, and reported significant improvement or complete fix in the erratic behaviour that some are seeing. So it looks like the engineers have a bit of work to do to create a stable installation for all machines.
2017-9-27
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-27 15:18
Aardvark,
Thanks
Interesting, I did not realize the difference.  So, based on what you know, does that account for the differing results?  In other words, does this mean that P4Ps are performing better by far than Phantom 4s?  I am gonna assume P4As are also different, and therefore do they have differing performance results with their latest FW?

"In other words, does this mean that P4Ps are performing better by far than Phantom 4s?"

I would agree with what you've said there, based on what I've seen in the forum here, there seem to be some reports of P4 Pros' misbehaving after update. But not on the same scale as the P4.
2017-9-27
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-9-27 17:27
"In other words, does this mean that P4Ps are performing better by far than Phantom 4s?"

I would agree with what you've said there, based on what I've seen in the forum here, there seem to be some reports of P4 Pros' misbehaving after update. But not on the same scale as the P4.

ah, I did not realize this...it also explains things too
Cheers
2017-9-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-27 15:23
Based on that, I'm amazed it works at all...

So am I actually.
2017-9-27
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Not to disappoint you but they have claimed that for months now, if they would they could have solved the issues by removing the disaster FW and provide a factory FW from where we could update to last known good version.
2017-9-28
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

i would say this is due to different components/boards have been used. If at the same time they have tried to make a "one size fit all" FW that has failed to check HW before upgrading this could explain the issues.

P4 or P4P, according the one of the mod's here, it is the same issue ....
2017-9-28
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

Aardvark Posted at 2017-9-27 17:27

Hi Aaardvark did you  take the number of model sold in the calculation ?
Not that i know the numbers but i think that there is way more P4's than P4P's out there.
2017-9-28
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

Aardvark Posted at 2017-9-27 10:56

Just wondering, do you know for a fact that assistant are performing some sort of verification or checksum calculation or if it would just flash whatever it has got.
I really hope DJI has been mindful enough to do some checksum validation but on the other hand one of your co-captain's in here beside of his admiration of this "cutting edge tech", keep mumbling about bad downloads, he could be right in that.
2017-9-28
Use props
JockC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

KedDK Posted at 2017-9-28 01:36
Just wondering, do you know for a fact that assistant are performing some sort of verification or checksum calculation or if it would just flash whatever it has got.
I really hope DJI has been mindful enough to do some checksum validation but on the other hand one of your co-captain's in here beside of his admiration of this "cutting edge tech", keep mumbling about bad downloads, he could be right in that.

I would be very surprised if DJI allowed firmware to be installed without some kind of checksum verification so I never took any notice of those other posts. As far as the OP’s comment about being told by DJI that various issues are to  be resolved in an imminent release of new firmware, I am very hopeful but also very sceptical. Remember the old saying....”believe half of what you see and none of what you hear”.
2017-9-28
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KedDK Posted at 2017-9-28 01:21
Hi Aaardvark did you  take the number of model sold in the calculation ?
Not that i know the numbers but i think that there is way more P4's than P4P's out there.

I had only briefly considered the quantities of each of the models. I've just done a scan of the P4 Pro forum, and one problem that appears that has a large response is gimbal calibration failing and buzzing. But DJI were on top of that two Months ago with a beta release, and also some report of factory reset resolving the problem.  Other than that there don't seem to be any major problems being reported, just a spread of issues covering almost every aspect of the P4 Pro :-)

But as you say we are not aware of the numbers, and it's left open to speculation as to how good or bad things are in reality.
2017-9-28
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules