Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Surging Phantom before take off
1680 19 2017-9-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JF West Coast
lvl.1
Flight distance : 40971 ft
Canada

I was out on my boat today filming some whale, when on my third flight after starting the phantom 4 Pro it started to rev up and down and careened of my take off platform. I had waited until all the sytems were go and the home point had been set. I didn't touch the controls when this happened .
Any ideas?

2017-9-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Was the boat moving up and down in the swell?
2017-9-27
Use props
JF West Coast
lvl.1
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-9-27 17:48
Was the boat moving up and down in the swell?

Very slightly. I guess the gps might have been trying to keep it in the same spot.
2017-9-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

JF West Coast Posted at 2017-9-27 17:56
Very slightly. I guess the gps might have been trying to keep it in the same spot.

No, the GPS would not be doing anything to it at that point, but the IMU would very very confused. When you fire up the motors, the IMU expects to be on a relatively flat surface that is not moving.
2017-9-27
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Make sure there is enough GPS signal, and try to take off from ground and hover to check the performance.
2017-9-27
Use props
JF West Coast
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-27 23:55
Make sure there is enough GPS signal, and try to take off from ground and hover to check the performance.

Yes the trouble is I take off from a small boat. I haven't had it do this before but it might have been slight forward movement that messed with the IMU. I will test it again on land before attempting another boat take off. Thanks.
2017-9-28
Use props
JF West Coast
lvl.1
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-9-27 18:06
No, the GPS would not be doing anything to it at that point, but the IMU would very very confused. When you fire up the motors, the IMU expects to be on a relatively flat surface that is not moving.

I'm sure that was the issue. I didn't think the IMU would affect the propeller speed before take off. I will definitely take a different approach next time. It could of been disastrous.
2017-9-28
Use props
Dobmatt
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I do take off's from boat quite often, but never ever on shaky, rough water. Also keep in mind that even the slightest breeze will cause the boat to move around if not solid anchored. The GPS lock will keep your drone hovering in place after take off, but the boat will move...
2017-9-28
Use props
Kneepuck
Captain
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-9-28 09:57
I do take off's from boat quite often, but never ever on shaky, rough water. Also keep in mind that even the slightest breeze will cause the boat to move around if not solid anchored. The GPS lock will keep your drone hovering in place after take off, but the boat will move...

Hi Dobmatt.  I have been meaning to ask you, is that picture in your Avatar your boat?  I envy your lifestyle.
2017-9-28
Use props
Dobmatt
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-9-28 11:22
Hi Dobmatt.  I have been meaning to ask you, is that picture in your Avatar your boat?  I envy your lifestyle.

Yep, that's my baby, Brother Kneepuck. I tow her every summer from home port in Edmonton AB - over the mighty Rockies - to central parts of British Columbia. I camp or boat, I travel a plenty, I go places where no man has gone before. Life's good to me, indeed. For 2 months only, if this will make you less jealous ... You'll get better picture if you have 6 minutes to waste ...

Matthew.
2017-9-30
Use props
Kneepuck
Captain
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-9-30 16:51
Yep, that's my baby, Brother Kneepuck. I tow her every summer from home port in Edmonton AB - over the mighty Rockies - to central parts of British Columbia. I camp or boat, I travel a plenty, I go places where no man has gone before. Life's good to me, indeed. For 2 months only, if this will make you less jealous ... You'll get better picture if you have 6 minutes to waste ...

https://vimeo.com/192749462

If you are lucky enough to get 2 months of that every year, you are a lucky man.  I am truly envious.  Some people go a lifetime without such beauty.  
2017-9-30
Use props
Dobmatt
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-9-30 21:11
If you are lucky enough to get 2 months of that every year, you are a lucky man.  I am truly envious.  Some people go a lifetime without such beauty.

It's not about luck, it's about persistence. I didn't win a lottery, I'm not rich either. It's a result of particular
philosophy and skills inherited from my parents, certain talents I was awarded with by God, and priviledges of an retiree. It reflects my almost fanatical relation to Mother Nature. It's a tool I was able to build to my precise specifications, a fulfillment of my lifetime dream. Filming these landscapes with drones seems to be a vital part of my summer escapades, providing some sort of extension into long winter season ...
2017-10-1
Use props
repairman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-9-30 16:51

https://vimeo.com/192749462

hi matt great vidio.would love to visit and fly with you.
2017-10-1
Use props
BrianKushner
Captain
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've had issues every now and then of the bird lurching backwards on start up and falling to the ground tearing up my props.
2017-10-1
Use props
Dobmatt
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

repairman Posted at 2017-10-1 00:49
hi matt great vidio.would love to visit and fly with you.

Hey, no problem! New year assignment: Columbia River Reservoir between Revelstoke and Mica Creek dams along Hwy 23. Spectacular landscapes, very sparse human presence, abundant wildlife. No cell coverage though ...
2017-10-1
Use props
Dobmatt
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

BrianKushner Posted at 2017-10-1 02:14
I've had issues every now and then of the bird lurching backwards on start up and falling to the ground tearing up my props.

Are you referring to take off from boat deck on shaky waters? Well, the only technique I was able to master in this situation is rapid ascent immediately after motors start up. I mean full throttle up, no hesitation. Let the bird hover at 10m, check all functions and settings, and fly. Landing is much more difficult, I would suggest practicing hand catch technique.

All these tricks are possible but always risky. For this reason I'll limit off the boat operations to calm weather only.
2017-10-1
Use props
BrianKushner
Captain
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-10-1 12:21
Are you referring to take off from boat deck on shaky waters? Well, the only technique I was able to master in this situation is rapid ascent immediately after motors start up. I mean full throttle up, no hesitation. Let the bird hover at 10m, check all functions and settings, and fly. Landing is much more difficult, I would suggest practicing hand catch technique.

All these tricks are possible but always risky. For this reason I'll limit off the boat operations to calm weather only.

No solid ground
2017-10-2
Use props
JF West Coast
lvl.1
Canada

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-10-1 12:21

Yes. It was a very calm day but still the open Pacific, plus I believe we still had a very small amount of forward movement. The first flight was no problem but the second is when the aircraft starting surging and spilled off my take off platform. Fortunately my leg saved the props.
2017-10-4
Use props
user14f4a497e5
lvl.1
Flight distance : 240551 ft
Canada

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-27 23:55

Might of switched it to sport mode before take off
2017-10-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

JF West Coast Posted at 2017-10-4 14:48
Yes. It was a very calm day but still the open Pacific, plus I believe we still had a very small amount of forward movement. The first flight was no problem but the second is when the aircraft starting surging and spilled off my take off platform. Fortunately my leg saved the props.

The barometer might not work well above the water. Therefore, I suggest you to test the performance on the ground first. Both GPS satellites and GPS quality are very important, and do not fly closely the water.
2017-10-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules