Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Tilted horizon - mavic issue or general
2048 15 2017-9-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cleamon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 135564 ft
United States

I've been researching the Mavic as my next drone.  In watching (a thousand) youtube videos, the thing that sticks out most is that the vast majority of shots (especially of the ocean) have a tilted horizon.  And most of those are higher on the left than on the right. This drives me crazy!Is this a problem specific to the Mavic, or all drones in general?
Is there a fix (besides post-production)?

Thanks

2017-9-28
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can happen but a good fix can be resolved via calibrating and/or adjustments of the gimbal on the App as a means to correct the issue if it does occur. Also not all MP are subject to the same issues as some may experience.
2017-9-28
Use props
cleamon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 135564 ft
United States

Sportbike_Pilot Posted at 2017-9-28 05:48
Can happen but a good fix can be resolved via calibrating and/or adjustments of the gimbal on the App as a means to correct the issue if it does occur. Also not all MP are subject to the same issues as some may experience.

That's good to know.  If it's an adjustment via the app, does it remember that, or do you have to "fix" it every time you start up?
2017-9-28
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

cleamon Posted at 2017-9-28 05:53
That's good to know.  If it's an adjustment via the app, does it remember that, or do you have to "fix" it every time you start up?

Not something that you'll need to do each start up but recheck after updates. You may need to double check after any F/W updates in case any of your prior settings  were reset. Sometimes that can happen.
2017-9-28
Use props
DronePix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 765469 ft
Australia

As far as I understand, a perfectly aligned horizon depending on the hardware and also the software: the gyro need to be perfectly aligned, and then it needed to be calibrated.

A misaligned gyroscope can be "correct" by software, however when it yaw, it will be misaligned again.

To patch the issue up, DJI allows gimbal tilt correction in the Go 4 app. However the tilt will continue when you yaw, and it may compensate itself according to the gimbal tilt correction value you set slowly over a few moment.

Therefore, if the gimbal is tilted dispute calibration, don't waste your time in doing the gimbal tilt correction.

This is just my experience. Please correct me if I am wrong.
2017-9-28
Use props
Nazar78
Captain
Flight distance : 5106037 ft
Singapore

DronePix Posted at 2017-9-28 06:15
As far as I understand, a perfectly aligned horizon depending on the hardware and also the software: the gyro need to be perfectly aligned, and then it needed to be calibrated.

A misaligned gyroscope can be "correct" by software, however when it yaw, it will be misaligned again.

Erm I only see this tilted issue on two occasions:-

1) In sports mode after an aggressive bank "roll", it will takes time for it to relevel. Yaw is fine. But of course I'll not use any of the crappy footage taken from sports mode. No such issue in p-mode.

2) Switching to portrait mode the level is always off. IMO as I don't really do portraits, no point doing the corrections because switching back to landscape the corrected portrait will now tilt in landscape.
2017-9-28
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thanks for the answers above. If the gimbal tilts, user's can try to calibrate the gimbal and lead it back to the central position. And gimbal roll settings might also help. Besides, gust wind or aggressive flying might also cause this case.
2017-9-28
Use props
TroutboyNZ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1726486 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Just C1 and right thumb wheel to quickly level the horizon while in flight, brings up some levelling bars - far easier than going into the app, as usual Dji don't mention this in any literature, but it works great!
2017-9-28
Use props
Nazar78
Captain
Singapore

TroutboyNZ Posted at 2017-9-28 19:24
Just C1 and right thumb wheel to quickly level the horizon while in flight, brings up some levelling bars - far easier than going into the app, as usual Dji don't mention this in any literature, but it works great!

How did you set it? Or do you mean activate both C1 and right wheel scroll together? I have C1 bind to ISO/Shutter. Edited: I think you're referring to simulatenous C2 + right wheel? I'll test this later, thanks for the tips.
Edited x2: I just tested and it doesn't work both simulatenous C1 or C2 + right wheel. How did you set it?
2017-9-28
Use props
Nazar78
Captain
Singapore

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-28 19:21
Thanks for the answers above. If the gimbal tilts, user's can try to calibrate the gimbal and lead it back to the central position. And gimbal roll settings might also help. Besides, gust wind or aggressive flying might also cause this case.

Hi Thor,

What about tilting in portrait? The level is perfectly aligned in landscape but once changed to portrait, it's off. And if I were to manually adjust the gimbal roll in portrait, changing back to landscape on the other hand will mess up the landscape level which needs to readjust again.

I noticed this issue for quite awhile from the first day with stock firmware to the latest 01.04.0000. And yes all the calibrations has been done. Been researching about this yield no results, I believe it's a simple firmware fix which can let the Mavic acquire and register two distinctive manual adjustments, both landscape and portrait.
2017-9-28
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Nazar78 Posted at 2017-9-28 22:20
Hi Thor,

What about tilting in portrait? The level is perfectly aligned in landscape but once changed to portrait, it's off. And if I were to manually adjust the gimbal roll in portrait, changing back to landscape on the other hand will mess up the landscape level which needs to readjust again.

Could you please provide me a video for this case so I can have a direct visual acknowledgement? Thank you so much.
2017-9-30
Use props
Nazar78
Captain
Singapore

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-30 01:33
Could you please provide me a video for this case so I can have a direct visual acknowledgement? Thank you so much.

Hi Thor,

Here's the video, same scenario to both grounded or in air. This is the latest V 01.04.0000 firmware but it seems to exists in previous ones as well. Already did all the necessary stuffs like gimbal calibration, firmware refresh, reset and such.

I've seen this issue being brought up before and I don't think it's a hardware fault as it's perfectly fine if it stays in the same landscape or portrait mode after manual adjustments. So I believe the firmware needs to have two sets of adjustments, or just simply store and remember the appropriate gimbal roll manual adjustments to each portrait and landscape modes.

2017-9-30
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Nazar78 Posted at 2017-9-30 11:06
Hi Thor,

Here's the video, same scenario to both grounded or in air. This is the latest V 01.04.0000 firmware but it seems to exists in previous ones as well. Already did all the necessary stuffs like gimbal calibration, firmware refresh, reset and such.

Thank you for your assistance. I will forward this situation to our engineers to look into. For now, maybe you need to adjust it manually, feel sorry for the inconvenience.
2017-10-9
Use props
Nazar78
Captain
Singapore

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-9 01:39
Thank you for your assistance. I will forward this situation to our engineers to look into. For now, maybe you need to adjust it manually, feel sorry for the inconvenience.

Hi Thor,

Thank you very much, hope DJI firmware developers can improve on this switch to portrait tilt issue.
2017-10-9
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Nazar78 Posted at 2017-10-9 07:51
Hi Thor,

Thank you very much, hope DJI firmware developers can improve on this switch to portrait tilt issue.

I hope, too. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us. We'd glad to help.
2017-10-10
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

TroutboyNZ Posted at 2017-9-28 19:24

They couldn't be bothered to put this in the android app so if youre using that platform it won't work.

Another example it appears of dev teams not talking to each other or sharing shared plans.
2017-10-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules