Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Compass Error?
12Next >
5209 40 2017-9-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Alitaptap
Second Officer
Flight distance : 149334 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just wondering if anyone here has a Compass error and Inconsistent GPS using the new DJI GO 4 latest version?
Single SelectVote, Total 76 people participate in voting
11.84% (9)
50.00% (38)
38.16% (29)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-9-28
Use props
InkedUpDad.com
lvl.3
Flight distance : 55276 ft
United States

I've never had one.
2017-9-28
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

This poll is not very helpful as it does not specify wich version precisely (iOS or Android and version number) is being referred to.
2017-9-28
Use props
DJI-Mark
First Officer

United States

Some have read an issue with a compass error but it may not be for the same reasons you are receiving this error. Can  you reinstall the App to see if this is still happening? Is the firmware on the remote and aircraft matched?
2017-9-28
Use props
LX2000
Flight distance : 37477 ft
Netherlands

I have this error sometimes, and it is very normal... As there is a LOT of interference everywhere. For example, if I am starting the Spark from a concrete wall on the beach, the steel within the concrete will interfere with the compass.

I am happy that the new version displays this error, as everyone needs to get aware that you always need to take in account the possibility of a GPS or Compass error in flight. It is normal that these kind of errors occur, and people need to get aware of how easy sensors can get influenced. For example, take a normal analog compass, used for hundreds of years, and walk through a city. You will see that the compass will be influenced... Walk by a windmill, the compass will be influenced, walk by your car, hold your phone near the compass... You get the point.
2017-9-28
Use props
DJI-Mark
First Officer

United States

LX2000 Posted at 2017-9-28 11:43
I have this error sometimes, and it is very normal... As there is a LOT of interference everywhere. For example, if I am starting the Spark from a concrete wall on the beach, the steel within the concrete will interfere with the compass.

I am happy that the new version displays this error, as everyone needs to get aware that you always need to take in account the possibility of a GPS or Compass error in flight. It is normal that these kind of errors occur, and people need to get aware of how easy sensors can get influenced. For example, take a normal analog compass, used for hundreds of years, and walk through a city. You will see that the compass will be influenced... Walk by a windmill, the compass will be influenced, walk by your car, hold your phone near the compass... You get the point.

That makes perfect sense. Indeed, many times the phrase magnetic interference will be listed as well when a compass has a misreading.
2017-9-28
Use props
Alitaptap
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-9-28 08:08
This poll is not very helpful as it does not specify wich version precisely (iOS or Android and version number) is being referred to.

Dji Go 4 app 4.1.11 using an iOS 11.01
2017-9-28
Use props
Alitaptap
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-28 11:24
Some have read an issue with a compass error but it may not be for the same reasons you are receiving this error. Can  you reinstall the App to see if this is still happening? Is the firmware on the remote and aircraft matched?

All firmware is up to date and I had to calibrate the compass all the time.
2017-9-28
Use props
DJI-Mark
First Officer

United States

Alitaptap Posted at 2017-9-28 12:43

If you are experiencing these issues and have updated firmware and calibrated the compass, please contact customer support to have a technician evaluate your aircraft.
2017-9-28
Use props
Charles Adams
First Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm not sure that the DJI GO 4 app has much to do with the spark compass or spark gps (though some forum post indicated that there was a relationship).  I think the compass issues and gps issues are more specifically spark related (or human error related).
2017-9-28
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-28 13:38
I'm not sure that the DJI GO 4 app has much to do with the spark compass or spark gps (though some forum post indicated that there was a relationship).  I think the compass issues and gps issues are more specifically spark related (or human error related).

I fully agree!
2017-9-28
Use props
DJI User956
New

United Kingdom

I have had this issue since the last firmware a few times. Always fly in the same open field.
D7CEBEBF-A5DD-40C9-9A25-D6CE24550B91.png
2017-10-10
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3
First Officer
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

The error shown in another thread, with the compass showing an error of 350 deg instead of 10 or something like that - makes me kinda suspicious. At face value, this seems like some basic sanity check in applied geometry has been forgotten. I don't see how pilot error or magnetic interference could have caused this kind of error
2017-10-10
Use props
Yflyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2030272 ft
Canada

I'm experiencing the same problem but not all the time. Every time I fly to a new site (30-50 km away), I see "calibrate compass" after I press the Go Fly prompt in the app. I'm flying over a green field, a baseball field,  near a beach. My Spark is 2 months old and it went to ATTI mode at least 3 times but I manage to land the ac safely. I see this problem most of the time when I'm using my LG Pad 8.0 FHD (Nougat). My other tablet is an Ipad Pro 9.7 and happens too but doesn't happen all the time.
I'm on the latest firmware and apps for IOS and Android. My total flight time: 16 hours 3 minutes with a total flights of 195.
Is this a normal behavior?
2017-10-10
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3
First Officer
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

Must be all that magnetic grass...
2017-10-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

What message are you getting to calibrate compass and where do you seek.
2017-10-11
Use props
Alitaptap
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-10-11 07:19
What message are you getting to calibrate compass and where do you seek.

Just pops out a message on my screen that needs a Compass calibration.
2017-10-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I think they’re is a misconception here, warning will come before Go Fly warning will read magnetic interference please move Aircraft or calibrate compass , Forget about calibration if you try to calibrate at this location your compass will take on the parameters of this area which you’ve been warned has Mag interference, Just move location and try again.
If before you fly , in your check list you see a small white box beside compass with the word Calibrate don’t , unless this box is red or blue .

Most people make the mistake of calibration when they should be moving location.
2017-10-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Alitaptap Posted at 2017-10-11 07:23
Just pops out a message on my screen that needs a Compass calibration.

The message what does it read is , magnetic interference please move aircraft or calibrate?
Or is it a little white box beside compass on check list that says calibrate?
2017-10-11
Use props
Alitaptap
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-10-11 07:43
The message what does it read is , magnetic interference please move aircraft or calibrate?
Or is it a little white box beside compass on check list that says calibrate?

The Little white box saying check calibrate, btw after I upgraded to newer version of the app I wasn't getting the message anymore.
2017-10-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Alitaptap Posted at 2017-10-12 05:37
The Little white box saying check calibrate, btw after I upgraded to newer version of the app I wasn't getting the message anymore.

That little white box is not for calibration, quite the opposite if it’s white you have a good compass blue/red different scenario.
Not your fault dji are removing this box from app.
2017-10-12
Use props
Jos A
Captain
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Never again , since on fw 0900 and modded 4.1.15(android)
2018-1-24
Use props
Bright Spark
First Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

It's so simple. Watch the sensor screen when you fly.
2018-1-24
Use props
DJT_MVSP
Captain
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

It somehow get those interference in mid-air and sometimes enters ATTI mode. It also tilts at an angle making it very hard to control.
2018-1-24
Use props
White Ox
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98281 ft

United States

I guess I don't understand why the GPS system goes offline.  IF my handheld Garmin did that even a few times a month, I'd  be asking them wtf is wrong with it..  GPS systems don't just go offlne with altitude and a perfect view of the sky.  Flying in an open field should never yield a GPS signal lost scenario.  Imagine firing a cruise missle to a laser marked target - I'm sorry, "GPS signal lost, going into ATTI mode"....

I'm beginning to wonder if the "magnetic interference" situation doesn't yield DJI attempting to reboot those two devices - Compass/IMU and GPS.  There's simply no other reason for the GPS to go offline.  If there is a discrepancy between GPS north and compass north, for heaven's sake, leave the GPS ON and put it hover while you reboot the Compass/IMU  or whatever it is they are doing.  So you have a 10 second pause in your flight - that's a hell of a lot better than dropping into atti.  If the Compass error continues after the reboot, have the system do a calculated maneuver with the spark (still paying attention to GPS) and determine north via that system - it will NOT be wrong.  Once north is determined, then fly home or wait for the user to give stick input after they have acknowledged the error.  I simply can't grasp why the GPS system is dropping out.

I wonder how many of these compass errors are due to pilots NOT calibrating their phone  when their rc is attached - mine is off by usually 30 degrees or more when i put my phone in the RC holder.  After a recalibration of my phone's Compass, the little red pointer does in fact point in the same direction as my spark when I stand behind it.  If this isn't being checked, then maybe the compass erorrs are stemming from the phone/tablet and drone seeing different North directions.   This shouldn't be the case for those pilots flying with RC only.

I now check the advanced sensor's page and see what the IMU and Compass sensors are saying for interference on the ground before taking off - if they aren't almost minimal green - then I don't fly - but I've yet to come to any point in which they are anything BUT minimal green.  If there is zero interference on the ground, there shouldn't be anything in the air to cause a compass issue when I'm flying, right?
2018-10-17
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
First Officer
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

White Ox Posted at 2018-10-17 18:21
I guess I don't understand why the GPS system goes offline.  IF my handheld Garmin did that even a few times a month, I'd  be asking them wtf is wrong with it..  GPS systems don't just go offlne with altitude and a perfect view of the sky.  Flying in an open field should never yield a GPS signal lost scenario.  Imagine firing a cruise missle to a laser marked target - I'm sorry, "GPS signal lost, going into ATTI mode"....

I'm beginning to wonder if the "magnetic interference" situation doesn't yield DJI attempting to reboot those two devices - Compass/IMU and GPS.  There's simply no other reason for the GPS to go offline.  If there is a discrepancy between GPS north and compass north, for heaven's sake, leave the GPS ON and put it hover while you reboot the Compass/IMU  or whatever it is they are doing.  So you have a 10 second pause in your flight - that's a hell of a lot better than dropping into atti.  If the Compass error continues after the reboot, have the system do a calculated maneuver with the spark (still paying attention to GPS) and determine north via that system - it will NOT be wrong.  Once north is determined, then fly home or wait for the user to give stick input after they have acknowledged the error.  I simply can't grasp why the GPS system is dropping out.

Real pilots of REAL aircraft are required to read the GPS NOTAMS prior to every flight to check on GPS system health and planned .gov interruptions or system degredation  

here is a warning from the website:

Active Notices

Please read the GPS Testing Notices for a list of approved GPS TT&E (testing, training activities, and exercises) that may affect GPS receivers.
Overview of the US Federal Government's Policy on Activities Which May Cause Disruption to GPS:

On occasion, the US Federal Government is required to conduct GPS tests, training activities, and exercises that involve interfering with GPS receivers. These events go through a lengthy coordination process involving the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), the US Coast Guard (USCG), the Department of Defense (DoD) and other government agencies.

Due to the fact that these training and testing activities can involve a number of aircraft, ships and/or other military equipment and up to hundreds of personnel, cancellation or postponement of a coordinated test should only occur under compelling circumstances. In general, only safety-of-life/safety-of-flight issues will warrant cancellation or postponement of an approved, coordinated GPS test.

In the event that a GPS activity compromises a safety-of-life mission, procedures exist to protect those involved. If a Lifeguard (medical evacuation flight), fire-fighting mission, or other aviation-related activity where GPS navigation is essential is impacted the conflict should be reported to the nearest FAA Air Traffic Control (ATC) facility. FAA will issue ”cease buzzer” (stop exercise) notification to the tester. All testers are required to set up a point of contact immediately reachable via telephone throughout the testing period.

Non-aviation related safety-of-life activities that require immediate cessation of GPS testing should be reported to the USCG Navigation Center (NAVCEN). The NAVCEN will either issue the “cease buzzer” or relay it to the FAA for issuance.

In the event that a safety-of-life conflict is anticipated, but not immediate, the affected GPS user should notify the USCG NAVCEN. An example of this is firefighting activities that may spread to testing areas. In some instances, the USCG may choose to put the tester directly in contact with the affected GPS user. In other cases, the USCG may choose to notify the appropriate government official to resolve the conflict.

2018-10-18
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
First Officer
United States

I think one of the biggest contributors to GPS/compass issues for drone pilots is the microwave repeater topology for communications...

towers 12+ miles apart have high speed data transferred via microwave rather than cable to save money.. can be anything but most are telephone related..

look at most cell towers.. the long ones are cell antennas and you will normally see one or more round dishes, some with domes or pointed domes.. this connects the tower with the network... and its a very HIGH POWER MICROWAVE shot between 2 antennas.. fly through it and it CAN be strong enough to permanently damage electronics and even cook a human in seconds..

We had a guy get cooked in the USAF working on a tower overseas that the host nation was supposed to have shut down.. only took seconds in front of that dish and he was gone...
2018-10-18
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
First Officer
United States

what firmware you on?
2018-10-18
Use props
White Ox
lvl.4

United States

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 2018-10-18 05:01
Real pilots of REAL aircraft are required to read the GPS NOTAMS prior to every flight to check on GPS system health and planned .gov interruptions or system degredation  

here is a warning from the website:

Ok, so now I know a bit more.  Thank you for that!

Do you think if our drones are tracking 12+ satellites that the USG shuts down all 12 at once?  I suppose while possible, the likelihood shouldn't be as often as all the GPS Signal Loss errors we are reading about on here, should it?  Especially not to have the error, the GPS Signal comes back online, then goes back offline seconds  later?  This sounds to me like a reboot of the drone systems.

Yes, microwaves are nasty and understand their lethality  to not only humans, but electronics.

My current firmware:
AC: 01.00.1000
RC: 01.00.0600

I've only ever flown over 250 ft twice...and never more than about 200ft horizontal away from the RC. Like I said in the thread I started, I bought a pair to fly with my son and we are being extremely cautious until someone gets to the bottom of these compass errors / fly aways.
2018-10-18
Use props
NRRTRAINS 85
Second Officer

United States

I'm beginning to wonder if the "magnetic interference" situation doesn't yield DJI attempting to reboot those two devices - Compass/IMU and GPS.  There's simply no other reason for the GPS to go offline.  If there is a discrepancy between GPS north and compass north, for heaven's sake, leave the GPS ON and put it hover while you reboot the Compass/IMU  or whatever it is they are doing.  So you have a 10 second pause in your flight - that's a hell of a lot better than dropping into atti.  If the Compass error continues after the reboot, have the system do a calculated maneuver with the spark (still paying attention to GPS) and determine north via that system - it will NOT be wrong.  Once north is determined, then fly home or wait for the user to give stick input after they have acknowledged the error.  I simply can't grasp why the GPS system is dropping out.

if you are using your RC and phone  , as is i understand IT the phone is used as a monitor and uses the GPS in the RC .
2018-10-18
Use props
Gunship9
Captain
United States

White Ox Posted at 2018-10-18 08:03
Ok, so now I know a bit more.  Thank you for that!

Do you think if our drones are tracking 12+ satellites that the USG shuts down all 12 at once?  I suppose while possible, the likelihood shouldn't be as often as all the GPS Signal Loss errors we are reading about on here, should it?  Especially not to have the error, the GPS Signal comes back online, then goes back offline seconds  later?  This sounds to me like a reboot of the drone systems.

The 12 satellites are from a combination of GPS and GLONASS (russian version of GPS).  

Get a toy drone such as Blade's Inductrix Ready To Fly mini drone to practice flying on.  Once you are used to flying the toy drone indoors in all orientations, the Spark going into ATTI mode won't be an issue.  You would just fly the Spark back to yourself like a real radio control model pilot would.

All autopilots and navigation systems can fail.  The Spark is no different so the owner needs to develop pilot skills before photography skills.  Furthermore, new radio control pilots should expect to crash their first aircraft a few times.  It is the nature of the hobby,... but well worth it.
2018-10-18
Use props
White Ox
lvl.4

United States

Oddly enough, we aren't total newbies to this drone flying thing.  We've got a couple atti birds we've been flying indoors and once in a while outdoors for the past year.  They are small and lightweight and about 2/3 the size of the spark.  They are a handful to control in a slight breeze... but that has yielded better control.

I'm an engineer so root cause is always where I start looking and I go back to why the GPS signal loss happens.  Is it happening to the mavic and phantom lines?  If not, then it's not the Satellites themselves turning off their signals, it's the spark's ability to receive it, yes?  Even though those birds have redundant compass and gps sysems, if the satellites are for lack of a better term "unavailable" due to system testing or the like, then it doesn't matter if there is 1 GPS system in the bird or 5, there is no signal to be received.  And thus, those birds should be dropping into atti as well.  Are they?  If not, then doesn't that point us right back around to the Spark firmware doing something to take the GPS system offline due to compass error?

2018-10-18
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
First Officer
United States

White Ox Posted at 2018-10-18 10:55
Oddly enough, we aren't total newbies to this drone flying thing.  We've got a couple atti birds we've been flying indoors and once in a while outdoors for the past year.  They are small and lightweight and about 2/3 the size of the spark.  They are a handful to control in a slight breeze... but that has yielded better control.

I believe that the spark suffers more atti excursions than the other drones in the DJI lineup because of the lack of redundancy and possibly a cheaper all around flight controller main board and inu/gps board

birds with 2 compasses well generally have them in 2 different locations/orientations and if one senses a disturbance marked by a rotational rate greater than the aircraft is designed to rotate, the FC will heavily filter out that input until it settles.. same goes for the redundant INS signals..

2018-10-18
Use props
Gunship9
Captain
United States

White Ox Posted at 2018-10-18 10:55
Oddly enough, we aren't total newbies to this drone flying thing.  We've got a couple atti birds we've been flying indoors and once in a while outdoors for the past year.  They are small and lightweight and about 2/3 the size of the spark.  They are a handful to control in a slight breeze... but that has yielded better control.

I doubt there is really a GPS signal loss.  It just gets data that doesn't match what the compass is saying versus what the GPS is saying (or IMU).  It doesn't have a back up nav system to check which is right so it drops into ATTI and puts all control onto the skilled pilot.  Which isn't a problem since RC pilots have flown for 40 plus years without GPS and compass equipted navigation systems.

However, put a photographer with no flying ability, besides guiding/assisting an autopilot, in the air,...you get "it flew away!"  At which point I ask where was the pilot while it was flying away?  Eating lunch?  Stabbing uselessly at the RTH button?

2018-10-18
Use props
wimherman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 208556 ft
Norway

Though very interesting matters discussed here, lets get not too dramatic about the Sparks avionics.. We are still talking VLOS in most countries and a limited range. If need to search the tool in Go4 works fine. More of an obstacle when searching for lost drone is all the different position formats.. (As i found out once i had 3 different locations, Garmin, Suunto and Google maps, all gave different figures where i was on the planet...(putting in Go4's last reggat coordinates) @DeuceDriv3r looks like you know ur stuff very well.. Maybe a lecture on that in a new topic would be helpfull for us wandering the wild nature on the planet (or living in it)
2018-10-19
Use props
fansdee960a4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1873 ft
Israel

Hi, I bought a drone yesterday and today was my third flight. The drone lost connection after about 100 meters and failed to return to home. I want to share the logs with you guys while I wait for dji to get back to me, but for some reason i cant post a new thread on the forum. Please advise
2018-10-19
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
First Officer
United States

I just posted a video on just how bad the sparks are flying under .1000 after updating the firmware on 2 sparks..

both were fine under .0701 and now I am just waiting for the dreaded fly away since the RTH angle is like 30 degrees off... its a flyaway waiting to happen in my opinion

2018-10-19
Use props
Droffarc
Captain
Flight distance : 11264892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Yesterday I was deeply disapointed in my spark: In mid flight it would suddenly get the compass error. I would stop for a bit then fly on and the green flash would return.
It seemed as if there was like a loose wire inside that would short every now and then intermittently.

This morning I went FAR FAr away (to a galaxy near you) to a dam far from any town. I did the wifi check and the screen was clear. I had the ready to fly green light.
I did the compass calibration.
I flew further than ever before!
At 203 meters I could no longer see the spark although I had perfect picture using OTG  (BTW Im on CE) and excellent repsonse, without any Red or Yellow flags.
That is good enough for me, I am happy. No more compass error!

Until next time

2018-10-23
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
First Officer
United States

I have been watching both of my sparks after I upgraded from .0701 factory installed to .1000 upgraded.

both sparks no longer fly as straight as they once did when pushing the right stick forward.. one spark will tilt more into the wind to correct drift while the other not so much and allows itself to drift horizontally

both sparks exhibit significant angle off between the home point and where the aircraft heading points during RTH operations.. again with one being far worse than the other...

both sparks calibrated on the same engineering plate, leveled, one right after the other, both compass calibrated in same spot they always are flying in a particular area that worked fine in the past..

the spark with the worse heading angle differences gave me its first ATTI, IMU work exception etc etc yesterday... sats had dropped from 11 to 9 at the time, and luckily was less that 100 meters away so I could easily keep it out of trouble .. GPS finally came back but landed it anyway...

I have been trying to get DJI to weigh in on the yaw, compass errors for more than a week now.. no luck..

the spark that gave me the biggest fits is on its way back to the seller for a full refund... and the other will as well unless we start getting answers out of DJI

there was a thread either here or over on spark pilots where someone said that a DJI rep acknowledged there MAY be a compass issue in .1000 but I didn't book make it and can't find it again...

2018-10-23
Use props
Tentoes
Captain
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

I've had compass errors a few times, like when I was near some large metal object.

1. Inside a metal truss railroad bridge. It seemed to be handling ok, so I finished the shot and got out.
2. On a floating dock. Must have been metal drums under the deck. Had to take off from land.
3. One spot in the driveway. Must be something metal under there. Move a few feet away and it's ok.
4. A spot about 70 feet up between here and the river about 150 yards away. Every time I tried to fly to the river. Over trees. No idea why. I gave up trying to fly to the river.
2018-10-23
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules