3211 59 2017-9-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FlyingFish82
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3662503 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you heard the news? if you havent check it out cause this should be of everyones concern. Drone crashed to Blackhawk heli in NY. Drone was flying above 500 feet. This is a major incident!! fortunately enough the heli operator was able to stay in control and heli only suffered a shatterd window..man this is what happens when people do things they are not supposed to! stay below 400 Feet people!! SPECIALY when flying in a city with such heavy traffic as NY!!!  

http://nypost.com/2017/09/22/army-helicopter-hit-by-drone/

This is only gonna put more constraints to the hobby!

Fly safe everyone and use some common sense!

2017-9-28
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

These are the kind of knuckeheads that ruin it for responsible pilots.  
2017-9-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It’s crazy , and it’s not good for any of us, you would also have to say continually showing P3 dji drone when it hasn’t been established what make of drone was involved is getting a bit ridiculous.

They say even death can't cure an idiot.

2017-9-28
Use props
FlyingFish82
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-28 09:12
It’s crazy , and it’s not good for any of us, you would also have to say continually showing P3 dji drone when it hasn’t been established what make of drone was involved is getting a bit ridiculous.

Yeah i guess thats the only picture the NY Post had for their note. But Regardless of what brand, Drone accidents in general impacts ALL of us.
2017-9-28
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

I'd love to se the drone footage!!
2017-9-28
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-28 09:12

The story I saw a few days ago showed a member of the crew (presumably) holding the end of an arm with motor still attached that looked like a P3 or P4 to me.  

Old story BTW.  Wonder why yet another thread on it.
2017-9-28
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Old news....
2017-9-28
Use props
FlyingFish82
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-9-28 10:08
The story I saw a few days ago showed a member of the crew (presumably) holding the end of an arm with motor still attached that looked like a P3 or P4 to me.  

Old story BTW.  Wonder why yet another thread on it.

Old story ? this is from September 22nd 2017.
2017-9-28
Use props
FlyingFish82
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

date on the NY Post is September 22nd 2017, 6 days old.. thats quite new for me..and regardless if it is OLD news..makes it that much worse!
2017-9-28
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I'm guessing the drone operator was using his "common sense" (that's a reference to a poll on flying following the rules vs using your common sense).  The further the drone is away from you, the harder it is to judge what is happening.  
2017-9-28
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

I'm just messing it was posted like the first day it happened though on this forum
2017-9-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

FlyingFish82 Posted at 2017-9-28 10:46
date on the NY Post is September 22nd 2017, 6 days old.. thats quite new for me..and regardless if it is OLD news..makes it that much worse!

Old in the way of being posted here some times before you.
2017-9-28
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

More stories to worry about:
http://nypost.com/2017/01/25/how ... rones-into-weapons/
2017-9-28
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

FlyingFish82 Posted at 2017-9-28 10:38
Old story ? this is from September 22nd 2017.

Almost a week.  What I was getting at is there are a few threads here about it, the first one from the day after (or night of when) it was on the news (all major networks).
2017-9-28
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bill in Ohio Posted at 2017-9-28 11:33
I'm guessing the drone operator was using his "common sense" (that's a reference to a poll on flying following the rules vs using your common sense).  The further the drone is away from you, the harder it is to judge what is happening.

or its just an idiot...  common sense is the least common of senses. not everyone is capable, as proven here and with many other day to day occurrences.   when i fly with common sense out of VLoS i avoid flying in area that would get me into too much trouble, i stick with 250 feet AGL and work up or down from there as needed, i try to use road ways or fields to fly and navigate because that's not directly over houses and back yards with kids..and if i have a sudden failure its landing on a car or an open field not a person's face or head.   if i know the area and the sky better sure i been known to push my limits...

there's a difference between what this person did vs what common sense is.. not trying to hound you but, this guy didn't use common sense..
2017-9-28
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

i heard the drone was piloted by a commercial drone operator , for what ever that is worth
2017-9-28
Use props
FlyingFish82
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

GroTToFlyeR Posted at 2017-9-28 18:16
i heard the drone was piloted by a commercial drone operator , for what ever that is worth

you heard? they have not confirmed who the Irresponsible ( to sound decent ) person was.. ?  
2017-9-28
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

FlyingFish82 Posted at 2017-9-28 18:28
you heard? they have not confirmed who the Irresponsible ( to sound decent ) person was.. ?

thats what somebody had said to me. i didnt have time to investigate yet. so yes just here say still
2017-9-28
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

We suggest that pilots fly the drone in a wide place and watch out the flight environment. It is always the user’s responsibility to determine what laws or regulations apply to any operation and to maintain the flight regulations.
2017-9-28
Use props
Swedrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

It had the propguards on and all...

untitled.png
2017-9-29
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.3
Flight distance : 614065 ft
Australia

I hope they deal with this on an individual basis not punish the rest of the community with tighter laws or worse
2017-9-29
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169364 ft
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-28 19:17
We suggest that pilots fly the drone in a wide place and watch out the flight environment. It is always the user’s responsibility to determine what laws or regulations apply to any operation and to maintain the flight regulations.

Thanks Thor.
2017-9-29
Use props
wglovett
lvl.3
Canada

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2017-9-28 18:00
or its just an idiot...  common sense is the least common of senses. not everyone is capable, as proven here and with many other day to day occurrences.   when i fly with common sense out of VLoS i avoid flying in area that would get me into too much trouble, i stick with 250 feet AGL and work up or down from there as needed, i try to use road ways or fields to fly and navigate because that's not directly over houses and back yards with kids..and if i have a sudden failure its landing on a car or an open field not a person's face or head.   if i know the area and the sky better sure i been known to push my limits...

there's a difference between what this person did vs what common sense is.. not trying to hound you but, this guy didn't use common sense..

for all any of us know, this (or worse) may have been the intent of the drone pilot.. hate to think articles like this are shaping public opinions. Hope the readers use 'common sense' much like most dji pilots strive to
2017-9-29
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2017-9-28 18:00

"i avoid flying in area that would get me into too much trouble"

That's what I work with when I'm out there flying.  

2017-9-29
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Swedrone Posted at 2017-9-29 04:34
It had the propguards on and all...

[view_image]

Yeah right it should've bounced off.
2017-9-29
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't know about you guys but this story sounds like fake news to me... anti-drone propaganda. I mean really what are the chances that some idiot operator is going to put this thing right in the flight path of a heli? I know I know... it IS possible... but not very likely. right? No names.. no images of damages.. no "real news" story... smells fake to me. How do we know the heli wasn't flying below 400 ft? we don't since the REAL story doesn't seem to exist. The NY POST is fake news... hard to take a news article serious when they post pics of people screwing right next to a "serious" article... I'm calling BS.

Oh Billy!

Oh Billy!

Oh Billy!
2017-9-29
Use props
chalde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

Blackhawk (or any helicopter really) are pretty loud, especially if flying at 500 feet altitude... When I usually hear anything "loud" while flying, even if I'm within the safe altitude, I tend to bring my drone lower/back to me.
Either the drone was super far on top of being above the 400 feet altitude, completely out of line of sight, or he didn't care... If it's at 500 feet above you, how can you NOT see a huge freaking blackhawk coming toward you...
2017-9-29
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Staten Island is complete NFZ according to B4UFLY, so pilot is extremely irresponsible or he has special FAA clearance to be up at night in a NFZ
This is also not a fake story, DJI should monitor who returns a P4P for repair with a severed arm

I notice all the DJI forum members from Staten Island have gone quiet lately probably worried about the 2 black suburbans staking out their homes
dronehitschopper _OP_3_CP__1506108870691_4207300_ver1.0_640_360.jpg
image1.jpg
image2.jpg
2017-9-29
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

technically speaking shouldn't it have blocked him in a red/purple zone (flight restricted)?  does that mean he had gained clearance or mods ?  if true, this goes to show idiots will be idiots no matter what.. they will find a way, i advocate that restricting everyone is the best way to go about punishing the few guys or gals with brain piercings doing this.  i hope someone comes up with a better solution that does not negatively impact everyone flying and flying with common sense.. but finds a way to punish and seek out those doing this stuff..
2017-9-29
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

wglovett Posted at 2017-9-29 07:31
for all any of us know, this (or worse) may have been the intent of the drone pilot.. hate to think articles like this are shaping public opinions. Hope the readers use 'common sense' much like most dji pilots strive to

i really hope someone in the media with brass comes on and sets it straight with how a mass majority of us fly and how these idiots are outliers ruining it for us all.. but the media is in it to make money and sadly what easily engages way too many people is negative news, demonizing and blasting things.. and everyone knows if they had someone come on to set the record straight they would also have the polar opposite  on at the same time speaking over them saying he or she is wrong and drones are out to get us if we dont do something about it.    this is why i hate politics, and hate the news...
2017-9-29
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2017-9-29 15:37
technically speaking shouldn't it have blocked him in a red/purple zone (flight restricted)?  does that mean he had gained clearance or mods ?  if true, this goes to show idiots will be idiots no matter what.. they will find a way, i advocate that restricting everyone is the best way to go about punishing the few guys or gals with brain piercings doing this.  i hope someone comes up with a better solution that does not negatively impact everyone flying and flying with common sense.. but finds a way to punish and seek out those doing this stuff..

"if true, this goes to show idiots will be idiots no matter what.. they will find a way,"

Couldn't agree more.

Unfortunately these ACs' are owned by some who IMHO shouldn't even be behind the RC.

Same goes for those who own motorcycles but really have zero skills or common sense about how to operate or respect these machines but still find a way to own/ride and put themselves in compromising situations they later regret or maybe not.
2017-9-29
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

To me, the biggest issue here is that the media seem hell-bent on whipping up non-stories.  Of course it's bad this idiot was flying where he was, but this is one of the army's top combat helicopters. If they can be taken down by a little phantom then the army has some real problems on its hands...  Do we get this worked up and discuss things every time we see a car being driven at 140 mph or a biker popping a wheely on a public road?
None of us wants tighter drone restrictions put in place because of idiots, but there are idiots all around us in this world, in every walk of life, so why do we keep getting our knickers in a twist every time there is a story about a drone being flown in the wrong place?  
IMHO

Ian

https://www.youtube.com/IaninLondon
2017-9-29
Use props
Tealk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 479613 ft
Romania

this incident is bad for as ...
2017-9-29
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

lannes Posted at 2017-9-29 15:00
Staten Island is complete NFZ according to B4UFLY, so pilot is extremely irresponsible or he has special FAA clearance to be up at night in a NFZ
This is also not a fake story, DJI should monitor who returns a P4P for repair with a severed arm

First time I have seen this photo... is that from the same story? How on God's green earth did the pilot find a broken piece of the drone? Now I am even more convinced it is fake. LOL ... Not to mention NY is a restricted no fly zone... an unlock would be a hack/mod or next to impossible. ~ still calling BS
2017-9-30
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wellsi Posted at 2017-9-29 22:58
To me, the biggest issue here is that the media seem hell-bent on whipping up non-stories.  Of course it's bad this idiot was flying where he was, but this is one of the army's top combat helicopters. If they can be taken down by a little phantom then the army has some real problems on its hands...  Do we get this worked up and discuss things every time we see a car being driven at 140 mph or a biker popping a wheely on a public road?
None of us wants tighter drone restrictions put in place because of idiots, but there are idiots all around us in this world, in every walk of life, so why do we keep getting our knickers in a twist every time there is a story about a drone being flown in the wrong place?  
IMHO  

"media seem hell-bent on whipping up non-stories."

I cringe when I read or hear about these media coverage reports....ouch...oh no not again.
2017-9-30
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

Sportbike_Pilot Posted at 2017-9-30 06:43
"media seem hell-bent on whipping up non-stories."

I totally agree with you, because there exists a danger far greater than our silly little drones:
Motor vehicles!

There are well over one million people killed on earth by motor vehicles EACH YEAR!
How many people have been killed by a Mavic or a Phantom?

And I haven't mentioned firearms and tobacco smoking ... yet!
2017-9-30
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.3
Flight distance : 614065 ft
Australia

Bob Brown Posted at 2017-9-30 04:04
First time I have seen this photo... is that from the same story? How on God's green earth did the pilot find a broken piece of the drone? Now I am even more convinced it is fake. LOL ... Not to mention NY is a restricted no fly zone... an unlock would be a hack/mod or next to impossible. ~ still calling BS

in the article it says that the drone dented  the glass window and one of the rotors was damaged..its possible part of the drone in the picture may have hung on after the impact
2017-9-30
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

At this point it's a week later and not a single national media outlet has reported on this story, which means that they're not convinced it really happened. Googling it returns only a handful of hits, and about half the ones I found link back to the original New York Post story, so at this point I'm highly skeptical.

The national media loves scary drone stories, so if they aren't reporting on it that means they can't confirm that it happened and that this is probably like the report of the Southwest Airlines jet that sustained winglet damage: in reality, the only people getting worked up about it are the ones on forums like this.
2017-9-30
Use props
VictorMike
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2616266 ft
  • >>>
United States

lannes Posted at 2017-9-29 15:00

That red you see is a TFR. It's temporary for the president being in town.
2017-9-30
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

VictorMike Posted at 2017-9-30 09:11
That red you see is a TFR. It's temporary for the president being in town.

they do it for random military movement as well.. i was traveling and i noticed on airmaps a few times i was in a TFR area, asked a few people and come to find out sometimes military cuts across the area, so maybe as extra precaution they posted a TFR..
2017-9-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules