DJI GO crashes on Samsung Galaxy S8+
4052 22 2017-9-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chris Miller
lvl.2
United States

When I try to run DJI Go, v3.1.11 on my Samsung Galaxy S8+ (running Android 7) it crashes immediately.  If the phone's display is set to the highes resultion (2960x1440), it crashes with this message
DJI GO does not support the current Display size setting and may behave unexpectedly.

The app is already crashed when the dialog appears.

If I lower the resolution to 2220x1080 or 1480x710, it crashes with this error.

DJI GO has stopped.

Running Litchi at any resolution starts up without any problems.  I have a Phantom 3 Standard, but the app crashes long before determining what it's trying to connect to.

Can we get this fixed?  None of the supported Android devices listed on http://www.dji.com/support/product/phantom-3-standard#faq-0_5_1 are devices currently available.

DJI GO has stopped

DJI GO has stopped

DJI GO does not support the current Display size setting and may behave unexpectedly.

2017-9-28
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Sorry to hear about your issue, but quite frankly it is not something new. The ongoing discussion about Nougat continues. I know this isn't helping you any. I guess you can run Litchi like you said, but the better question is what can DJI do for the android devices. I understand some of the current problems with android being all the bloatware, apps, etc. on different carriers phones......and Apple obviously had a different mindset on how to engineer their hardware, which is why their devices might be more stable. I would think that DJI would have enough pull to work with the android manufacturers and provide a stable platform. I'm sure it is much more complicated than that though.
I would assume you are using your S8 for more than just your phantom flying, and I get it. But a lot of us have chosen to use a dedicated device for our phantoms, and delete or kill as much of the apps & such as we can in order to make our android devices work. I personally am using an Nvidia, which is no longer being manufactured either, but it works great for me. Maybe consider buying a used one of these if you can find one until a resolution has been found for the newer android phones. Hang in there!
2017-9-28
Use props
Chris Miller
lvl.2
United States

I usually use a Nexus 6P running the latest Nougat with DJI Go and it works most of the time.  The S8+ has a brighter screen and I would like to use it on days when every extra level of brightness helps.

DJI would have almost zero pull the major Android vendors.  It's on DJI to test on different devices and with Samsung's market share they should be running on all current Galaxy devices.  Which is much easier said than done.   That's why they went with the CrystalSky device.  It's mush easier to make your app work when you control what goes in the device.  It's a shame that they didn't provide a way for apps that use the DJI API like Litchi to be installable.
2017-9-28
Use props
Chris Miller
lvl.2
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-9-28 10:23
Sorry to hear about your issue, but quite frankly it is not something new. The ongoing discussion about Nougat continues. I know this isn't helping you any. I guess you can run Litchi like you said, but the better question is what can DJI do for the android devices. I understand some of the current problems with android being all the bloatware, apps, etc. on different carriers phones......and Apple obviously had a different mindset on how to engineer their hardware, which is why their devices might be more stable. I would think that DJI would have enough pull to work with the android manufacturers and provide a stable platform. I'm sure it is much more complicated than that though.
I would assume you are using your S8 for more than just your phantom flying, and I get it. But a lot of us have chosen to use a dedicated device for our phantoms, and delete or kill as much of the apps & such as we can in order to make our android devices work. I personally am using an Nvidia, which is no longer being manufactured either, but it works great for me. Maybe consider buying a used one of these if you can find one until a resolution has been found for the newer android phones. Hang in there!

I usually use a Nexus 6P running a newer version of Nougat with DJI Go and it works most of the time.  The S8+ has a brighter screen and I would like to use it on days when every extra level of brightness helps.

DJI would have almost zero pull the major Android vendors.  It's on DJI to test on different devices and with Samsung's market share they should be running on all current Galaxy devices.  Which is much easier said than done.   That's why they went with the CrystalSky device.  It's mush easier to make your app work when you control what goes in the device.  It's a shame that they didn't provide a way for apps that use the DJI API like Litchi to be installable.
Edit: Some how I managed to post the reply twice.  Oops.
2017-9-28
Use props
dcap
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

my galaxy s7 is on the "supported" list and always has a crash during flight with dji go4 app 4.1.3 and up. if you have a problem with the resolution issue just uninstall and download the apk from dji, or install the version from the play store. which ever you are not using at the moment. last the only android device i have no issues with is my  galaxy tab a 7.0 with android 5.1 on it, and it works flawless. the only thing the tablet will not do is cache the video smoothly.
2017-9-28
Use props
Daveb500
lvl.3
Flight distance : 191742 ft
United Kingdom

I have also had problems with Nougat, this is on a WileyFox smart phone, (Wileyfox is a UK startup phone manufacturer) so don't expect this to be resolved. I bought a cheap Acer Iconia tablet to use with the phantom. This is running Andriod 6 (Marshmellow I think) the tablet works well, however a little slow at starting up. That was until the touch screen started giving problems. (Another story)
I've tried a varirty of tablets and phones all android all have issues to some extent. As the OP says non of the current list of Andriods apart from the Acer are available, and I will not go down the apple route. So you are forced to try secondhand units, and would not recommend that as you have no idea of the service or history, even seller refurbished, means they have wiped it with a cloth.
For info the Acer Iconia 8 cost £99 through Amazon just ordered it to replace the one with the screen fault, that was the Iconia 7 would not recommend that one, it has a list of faults including the emulation fault, which bricks it. Its only 6 weeks old, and PC World in the UK where it was bought from are refusing to replace it ignoring the sales of goods act.
2017-9-28
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Firstly, if the error message is about the display size, please try to uninstall it then scan the QR code of the official web and install again, here's the link: http://www.dji.com/phantom-3-standard/info#downloads
If the problem persists, please provide me with the info below:
1. Operations before and when the Android device crashes
2. Aircraft model
3. Android version number
4. DJI GO app’s version number (shown under Settings of Me in the app)
5. Crash log, (connect the device to the computer to export it: /sdcard/DJI/dji.go.v4 /LOG/CRASH)
6. Your DJI account
2017-9-29
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Chris Miller Posted at 2017-9-28 11:23
I usually use a Nexus 6P running a newer version of Nougat with DJI Go and it works most of the time.  The S8+ has a brighter screen and I would like to use it on days when every extra level of brightness helps.

Yeah I agree with the points you make, and I know they wouldn't have any leverage with android manufacturers too. To bad though with the cystalsky, that apparently you cannot install other apps. I understand them trying to make it workable and not wanting to allow other software, but unitl they can provide some of the functions like Litchi has, I am reluctant to buy one. And on that note, I have looked a t the crystalsky and it looks like the larger one is still not available.  Just like the Obsidian Phantom 4 they advertise but it is "out of stock" on the web page. Not trying to beat DJI up, but although they have some very great products, it seems there is a lot of room for improvements. I know it is easy to criticize right?
2017-9-29
Use props
Epicdoom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340620 ft
United States

I've seen a few posts about this, but have not had a problem on my S8+ at all. I use an app killer turn off Bluetooth GPS and put it in airplane mode. I don't even really have to do all that but my video runs much smoother if I do.
2017-10-3
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Ive tried my tab a 7 it works sometimes but i seem to have trouble getting it to connect to the drone ie wont even recognise that drone is conected to the rc yet all controls still work fine. When it does work its fine no problems. I also use galaxy s7 edge with no issue at all plus gain the ability to add extra brightness to the screen as required
2017-10-3
Use props
Epicdoom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340620 ft
United States

the problem for me with the S8+ is I'm half blind and I have to cram the thing in my face to see it, but that's the only issue I have with it. I bought a Galaxy Tab S3 so I can have a larger display and its fantastic zero lag runs perfectly. its a pricy tablet, but worth every penny IMO for this application. I dumped everything it didn't need to run and only installed DJI go and an app killer for the apps I cant remove I also keep wifi off so nothing updates on it. I turn on WIFI at the flight location only
2017-10-3
Use props
Chris Miller
lvl.2
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-29 00:10
Firstly, if the error message is about the display size, please try to uninstall it then scan the QR code of the official web and install again, here's the link: http://www.dji.com/phantom-3-standard/info#downloads
If the problem persists, please provide me with the info below:

Turn on AC, then RC, wait for them to connect to each other.
Enable airplane mode on phone
Enable Wi-Fi on phone and connect to AC
Start app.
App crashes

2. Aircraft model
Phantom 3 Standard

You understand that the app is crashing when it starts up?  It's probably to tell people to check the version number from the installed apps list in the Google Play app.  The version is 3.1.11, updated on August 25th, 2017.  All of this was reported in the first post of this thread.

5. Crash log, (connect the device to the computer to export it: /sdcard/DJI/dji.go.v4 /LOG/CRASH)
Is that the crash log path for DJI GO 4?  This is for the Phantom 3 and that path doesn't exists on my phone.  I do have a DJI/dji.pilot/LOG/CRASH folder, is that what you were referring to?  I attached the latest crash file to this message.  The time stamp encoded in the file name corresponds to when I tried to start the app.

6. Your DJI account
It's the same account used on the forum

You didn't ask about the phone itself.  It's a Samsung Galaxy S8+, on Verizon.  Screen resolution is set to WQHD+ (2960x1440)

crash-2017-10-09-17-40-04.zip

1.4 KB, Down times: 3

DJI Go 3 crash file

2017-10-9
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Chris Miller Posted at 2017-10-9 14:02
Turn on AC, then RC, wait for them to connect to each other.
Enable airplane mode on phone

It is so kind of you to supplement the info. I had forwarded the info to our engineers to look into. Hope the issue can be resolved shortly. Have a nice day.
2017-10-11
Use props
Phillbo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3599 ft
Australia

Any update on this. I have the same issue on Samsung S8+. I've tried changing screen res, uninstall then reinstall. Just keeps crashing as per above. I also fly the Phantom 3 Standard.

Nice to have a $700+ boat anchor that I cant fly!!

Crash log attached

LOG.zip

94.61 KB, Down times: 2

Crash log

2017-10-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Phillbo Posted at 2017-10-18 18:15
Any update on this. I have the same issue on Samsung S8+. I've tried changing screen res, uninstall then reinstall. Just keeps crashing as per above. I also fly the Phantom 3 Standard.

Nice to have a $700+ boat anchor that I cant fly!!

Just to verify, had you tried the way I mentioned on 7#? It could be the display issue.
2017-10-19
Use props
Phillbo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3599 ft
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-19 22:05
Just to verify, had you tried the way I mentioned on 7#? It could be the display issue.

Tried setting screen to a lower resolution but it still crashes on start up.
2017-10-20
Use props
BlueBeast
New
Flight distance : 412746 ft
United States

The same thing is happening to a friend of mine on his S8+. He flew my phantom 4A(using my S8+) and had to have one. His P3 comes in Tuesday, but he may have to return it because we can't get the app to load on his phone. It crashes immediately after accepting the EULA. We tried lowering the resolution and looked for differences between our settings. Mine is on Sprint and his att.
2017-10-21
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Phillbo Posted at 2017-10-20 22:17
Tried setting screen to a lower resolution but it still crashes on start up.

Sorry for the late reply, I'd forwarded the log to our engineer to look into, besides, please also provide the info needed below, hope this will be addressed soon.
2. Aircraft model  
5. Your DJI account
Thank you so much.

2017-10-23
Use props
adfp_88
lvl.1

Hong Kong

thanks for feedback! please pay attention on app's updete!
2017-10-26
Use props
Chris Miller
lvl.2
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-11 01:20
It is so kind of you to supplement the info. I had forwarded the info to our engineers to look into. Hope the issue can be resolved shortly. Have a nice day.

Hi,

It's been a couple of weeks since I submitted the requested information.  Are there any updates to report?
2017-10-26
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Chris Miller Posted at 2017-10-26 09:41
Hi,

It's been a couple of weeks since I submitted the requested information.  Are there any updates to report?

Hi there, 19# is from our engineers. They are working on it then. Hope all will be settled shortly.
2017-10-30
Use props
Zippo43
lvl.3
Flight distance : 387126 ft
United States

dcap Posted at 2017-9-28 13:43
my galaxy s7 is on the "supported" list and always has a crash during flight with dji go4 app 4.1.3 and up. if you have a problem with the resolution issue just uninstall and download the apk from dji, or install the version from the play store. which ever you are not using at the moment. last the only android device i have no issues with is my  galaxy tab a 7.0 with android 5.1 on it, and it works flawless. the only thing the tablet will not do is cache the video smoothly.

And i also have a   galaxy tab a 7.0 with android 5.1 on it and  yes  it works flawless...so far no issues with it either
2017-11-1
Use props
JD UK
New
United Kingdom

Hello everyone - is there an update on this? Is the Galaxy S8+ now compatible with the DJI Go 4 app? I am planning to buy a Mavic Pro. Thanks
2018-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules