Anyone else have their P4 stuck in sport mode?
2028 23 2017-9-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cameracollector
lvl.4
Flight distance : 807133 ft
Canada

I'm not 100% sure if this happened after the latest firmware update, or had manifested itself before I did the latest.

In any case, my P4 only has two modes, sport and atti. When I put the switch in P mode the GO app says its in P mode, and I can access the advanced flying modes etc, but the response and behaviour is identical to sport mode. When I put it in Sport mode the options disappear as they should.

For most flying this hasn't been a big issue to me, as I've got a couple of flamewheel DJI's and I'm very used to flying in atti and plain GPS mode with those before I bought my P4.  I've been using tripod mode for any flying where I want to go very slow - it works quite well for that.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this - and not sure where the problem would be, aircraft, app or radio?

2017-9-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

When I put the switch in P mode the GO app says its in P mode, and I can access the advanced flying modes etc, but the response and behaviour is identical to sport mode

The ultimate test is ... what speed can you achieve in P mode?
That will tell you if you are in S mode or P-GPS.
2017-9-28
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Canada

Labroides Posted at 2017-9-28 19:53
When I put the switch in P mode the GO app says its in P mode, and I can access the advanced flying modes etc, but the response and behaviour is identical to sport mode

The ultimate test is ... what speed can you achieve in P mode?

Exact same as sport mode, moving the switch from P to S does nothing but change the options on the app, performance is exactly the same.

When I put it in atti mode it plainly is in atti mode, drifts with the wind etc. , but S and P mode the aircraft behaves identical, the only change is on the app. This video shows how it behaves, until about :45 in the video, it's in P mode, then S mode, then at :45 in atti mode.

2017-9-28
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

I am wondering, too. The max speed for S-mode is 20 m/s, please let me know if you can reach to this speed in P-mode.
2017-9-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

cameracollector Posted at 2017-9-28 20:01
Exact same as sport mode, moving the switch from P to S does nothing but change the options on the app, performance is exactly the same.

When I put it in atti mode it plainly is in atti mode, drifts with the wind etc. , but S and P mode the aircraft behaves identical, the only change is on the app. This video shows how it behaves, until about :45 in the video, it's in P mode, then S mode, then at :45 in atti mode.

Exact same as sport mode

I already got the idea that it's exactly the same .... but I was asking how fast that is.

2017-9-28
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-28 20:09
I am wondering, too. The max speed for S-mode is 20 m/s, please let me know if you can reach to this speed in P-mode.

Would this be in the logs?  If so I can probably find the log from a flight I did yesterday while in P mode and going max speed.

How would I get this log to you?
2017-9-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

cameracollector Posted at 2017-9-29 06:09
Would this be in the logs?  If so I can probably find the log from a flight I did yesterday while in P mode and going max speed.

Yes ... that's one way.
Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides.
2017-9-29
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Looks like a train wreck acomin.
2017-9-29
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Canada

Labroides Posted at 2017-9-28 23:16
Exact same as sport mode

I already got the idea that it's exactly the same .... but I was asking how fast that is.

Just as fast as S mode, next flight I'll pay more attention to the readout on the app and note the m/s speeds.  In the meantime I'll try and find a log from a flight I did yesterday totally in P mode where I was going flat out a couple of times.
Update - here is the link to the log from yesterdays flight  - I hit top speed of 40.1 mph or 17.9 m/s while in P-GPS mode.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/K7UKG035FIO9FQNW0FBO/
2017-9-29
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have ascertained that if you have all obstacle avoidance turned of in P mode the P4 goes A LOT faster.
Do you have all the obstacle avoidance options turned off?
If so, turn them on and see if it behaves the same.
2017-9-29
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Canada

Tmygun Posted at 2017-9-29 07:51
I have ascertained that if you have all obstacle avoidance turned of in P mode the P4 goes A LOT faster.
Do you have all the obstacle avoidance options turned off?
If so, turn them on and see if it behaves the same.

I will try that, I have had OA turned off for quite awhile now.
2017-9-29
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

cameracollector Posted at 2017-9-29 13:23
I will try that, I have had OA turned off for quite awhile now.

I found that while it's not quite as fast as sport mode.........it's pretty fast.

Putting on all the obstacle avoidance safeties really lowers the top straight line speed.
Let me know if it makes a difference.
2017-9-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

cameracollector Posted at 2017-9-29 06:41
Just as fast as S mode, next flight I'll pay more attention to the readout on the app and note the m/s speeds.  In the meantime I'll try and find a log from a flight I did yesterday totally in P mode where I was going flat out a couple of times.
Update - here is the link to the log from yesterdays flight  - I hit top speed of 40.1 mph or 17.9 m/s while in P-GPS mode.

According to the specs the P4 pro will get 20 metres/second (45 mph) in Sport Mode
Top speed in P-GPS with obstacle avoidance disabled is 16 m/s (36 mph).

In the flight record you give, for thetimes you gave it full right stick, the top speeds you touched were:
At 9:04.8   17.9 m/s   flying North
At 9:29.3   15.9 m/s   flying South
At 10:38.5   16.7 m/s   flying NE

These speeds appear completely normal for P-GPS flying in a good breeze from the south.
Your Phantom should fly noticeably faster in Sport mode.
2017-9-29
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

cameracollector Posted at 2017-9-29 06:09

You can sync your flight record and then PM me with your DJI email account so I can access it. You can sync by this route: launch DJI GO app----upper right icon for DJI GO 4 / upper left icon for DJI GO ---- flight record----upper right cloud icon---- select all and start synchronization. Let me know if you had synced successfully.
2017-9-30
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Canada

Labroides Posted at 2017-9-29 14:38
According to the specs the P4 pro will get 20 metres/second (45 mph) in Sport Mode
Top speed in P-GPS with obstacle avoidance disabled is 16 m/s (36 mph).

When I used to switch between S and P mode the stick responsiveness difference was very noticeable - as you can see in the video I posted there is no difference at all now.  Hopefully today I'll get time to try it again with OA turned on.
2017-9-30
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-30 02:08
You can sync your flight record and then PM me with your DJI email account so I can access it. You can sync by this route: launch DJI GO app----upper right icon for DJI GO 4 / upper left icon for DJI GO ---- flight record----upper right cloud icon---- select all and start synchronization. Let me know if you had synced successfully.

done - PM'd you.
2017-9-30
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Canada

Tmygun Posted at 2017-9-29 13:49
I found that while it's not quite as fast as sport mode.........it's pretty fast.

Putting on all the obstacle avoidance safeties really lowers the top straight line speed.

I flew last night with the OA turned back on, you are correct it it does fly a lot slower and is a lot less stick responsive with the OA enabled.  Odd that I did not notice this when I first switched it off, but since most of my flying is done pretty slow it may not have been evident.
2017-10-3
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

cameracollector Posted at 2017-10-3 09:17
I flew last night with the OA turned back on, you are correct it it does fly a lot slower and is a lot less stick responsive with the OA enabled.  Odd that I did not notice this when I first switched it off, but since most of my flying is done pretty slow it may not have been evident.

Wondered if that might be what you were experiencing.  
Glad you figured it out!
2017-10-3
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

I accessed it. According to your flight records, for my opinion, I think the angels are a little bit aggressive if the drone is in P mode. Had you ever changed the gain settings, if you had, please reset it back to default, all of the default Gain settings are all 100.
2017-10-8
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-8 18:16
I accessed it. According to your flight records, for my opinion, I think the angels are a little bit aggressive if the drone is in P mode. Had you ever changed the gain settings, if you had, please reset it back to default, all of the default Gain settings are all 100.

I have not changed any of the gains, only the expo for the yaw  - I will check the gains on the next flight though.
2017-10-29
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

cameracollector Posted at 2017-10-29 13:31
I have not changed any of the gains, only the expo for the yaw  - I will check the gains on the next flight though.

Please let me know if there is an update.
2017-10-30
Use props
Deezel
New
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-30 22:41
Please let me know if there is an update.

After that firmware update my remote when in "P" mode is saying it's in ATI mode  phantom P4  yellow lights blinking that used to be green in P mode all this happened after that upgrade that is obviously not working as it should !!!!  
2017-11-6
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Deezel Posted at 2017-11-6 09:25
After that firmware update my remote when in "P" mode is saying it's in ATI mode  phantom P4  yellow lights blinking that used to be green in P mode all this happened after that upgrade that is obviously not working as it should !!!!

Could you please provide me with a video of this case? Or please try to refresh the firmware.
2017-11-10
Use props
DaveCraft
New
Flight distance : 23474 ft

United Kingdom

Deezel Posted at 2017-11-6 09:25

Mine is exactly the same.
Did you find a solution for this?
2017-11-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules