No video feed on brand new out of the box Mavic
6656 27 2017-9-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rszarka
lvl.2
Flight distance : 217198 ft
Australia

So i have a Phantom 4 ...did the last firmware update and it stuffed my RC ...spent days on the forums trying to fix it then gave up and sent it in for repairs where it is now....i have wanted a mavic for awhile so figured i will get a mavic while the phantom is being repaired as i am going out of town to a scenic camping spot this week end and want to get some footage..

It arrived today ...i set it up ...did the required firmware update getting it ready for its first flight ...all went well or so i thought ....yeah no video feed in dji go ....no errors onscreen or dji go telling me anything is wrong ..i can control the mavic ..it takes pictures etc etc ...just no image on the screen....
This is pretty frustrating given one is in for repairs ..i get a brand new one for my mini vacation this week end and now that does not work either!

Any ideas from anyone?? Im thinking downgrade the firmware to what it came with ...dunno..contemplating returning it ...hoping this is just something im doing wrong..although i cant see what it may be...

Thanks for any help
2017-9-28
Use props
sduck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4315098 ft
United States

I had a similar situation with mine - the solution was pretty simple - just delete the DJI Go 4 app and reinstall it.
2017-9-28
Use props
rszarka
lvl.2
Australia

sduck Posted at 2017-9-28 20:16
I had a similar situation with mine - the solution was pretty simple - just delete the DJI Go 4 app and reinstall it.

Hi thanks for your help

I have done that and have the exact same problem .....
2017-9-28
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Could you please provide me with the screenshot of the image transmission interface? And for now, you can try to reset the camera settings first or remove the SD card. 重设相机参数.jpg
2017-9-28
Use props
rszarka
lvl.2
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-28 21:12
Could you please provide me with the screenshot of the image transmission interface? And for now, you can try to reset the camera settings first or remove the SD card.[view_image]

Hi thanks for your reply ..here is two screenshots of the camera settings ...i have removed the sd card ..no change ...i have tried connecting to dji go app on my ipad mini ..no change...i have reinstalled the go app ..no change .....i checked to make sure the wifi controller switch was in the right position ..it is.....should i just downgrade the firmware to the factory firmware that it came with ....when i did the firmware upgrade at the end when it finished it said no image transmission signal .....there was a brief moment where i could see what was in front of the camera one of the times i turned it on.

what is up with these dji firmware upgrades they seem to be more trouble than they are worth ...i get a brand new unit right out of the box and a firmware upgrade messes it up before i can fly it once...i get a phantom get to fly it 5 times a firmware upgrade comes up i do it and it takes my rc controller down ...i dont think i will be doing any more firmware upgrades as all they seem to do is break the damned drones that worked fine before them! why release an upgrade if you are not positive they are problem free?

If it turns out i did something wrong to cause this i apologise for bitching in advance ..but if not this subject warrants a gripe.... These drones are bit too expensive to be this problematic brand new...

image2.PNG
image1.PNG
2017-9-29
Use props
rszarka
lvl.2
Australia

rszarka Posted at 2017-9-29 00:06
Hi thanks for your reply ..here is two screenshots of the camera settings ...i have removed the sd card ..no change ...i have tried connecting to dji go app on my ipad mini ..no change...i have reinstalled the go app ..no change .....i checked to make sure the wifi controller switch was in the right position ..it is.....should i just downgrade the firmware to the factory firmware that it came with ....when i did the firmware upgrade at the end when it finished it said no image transmission signal .....there was a brief moment where i could see what was in front of the camera one of the times i turned it on.

what is up with these dji firmware upgrades they seem to be more trouble than they are worth ...i get a brand new unit right out of the box and a firmware upgrade messes it up before i can fly it once...i get a phantom get to fly it 5 times a firmware upgrade comes up i do it and it takes my rc controller down ...i dont think i will be doing any more firmware upgrades as all they seem to do is break the damned drones that worked fine before them! why release an upgrade if you are not positive they are problem free?

Oh yeah i also tried resetting the camera settings like you mentioned...no change...
2017-9-29
Use props
rszarka
lvl.2
Australia

rszarka Posted at 2017-9-29 00:12
Oh yeah i also tried resetting the camera settings like you mentioned...no change...

I have downgraded the firmware ..still have the same issue no image....i will try a factory reset if that doesnt work im returning the mavic for a refund .....anyone have any other ideas what to try to see if this is actually a hardware fault which i believe it is at this point?
2017-9-29
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Could be a cabling problem -- when you plug in your iPad, it is critical that you detach the RC cable from the side port, otherwise the bottom port will be ignored.
2017-9-29
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-9-29 08:19
Could be a cabling problem -- when you plug in your iPad, it is critical that you detach the RC cable from the side port, otherwise the bottom port will be ignored.

I don't think it's cabling because he is getting some data displayed. But the video icon is red. I wonder why?
2017-9-29
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Have you tried to reformat the SD card? What about reinstalling the app?
2017-9-29
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

ghostrdr Posted at 2017-9-29 08:36
I don't think it's cabling because he is getting some data displayed. But the video icon is red. I wonder why?

When you plugged in the iPad, did you unplug the side-port? You may be looking a default display states.

Other things to check, using the originally supplied MicroSD card, freshly formatted to FAT32, and making sure the firmware version in the RC is the same as in the Mavic -- if you upgraded via DJI Go 4 then they should be in sync, but people forget to take care of the remote (and batteries, when needed) when updating via DJI Assistant 2.

Good luck.
2017-9-29
Use props
rszarka
lvl.2
Australia

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-9-29 09:08
When you plugged in the iPad, did you unplug the side-port? You may be looking a default display states.

Other things to check, using the originally supplied MicroSD card, freshly formatted to FAT32, and making sure the firmware version in the RC is the same as in the Mavic -- if you upgraded via DJI Go 4 then they should be in sync, but people forget to take care of the remote (and batteries, when needed) when updating via DJI Assistant 2.

Hi thanks to everyone for the replies

I have reinstalled the go app 3 x now ... i have tried on both my galaxy edge 7 and ipad mini same situation on both...i tried unplugging the side cable when i plug in the ipad ..no change...

I have downgraded the firmware on both controller and drone..no change
i refreshed the latest firmware on both no change
i tried with no sd card in ...also formatted the card ...no change

a few things i have noticed the HD icon at the top of the go app was flashing slowly one of the times i turned it on..

Also twice now once the drone tuned on there was an image in the go app as if it was looking forwards but it was a stil image ...in otherwords if i pick up the drone turn it whatever that same image remains on the screen ..so its not a feed.. this only happened twice all the different times i have started it ...if i go into the hd settings and change anything it disappears and back to blank screen..

a couple of times green bars have flashed across the screen ..also if i do the forward down on the gimbal by pushing the camera setting button up ..a few times now the video feed flashed on the screen for a split second...

everything works but the video feed...i can control the gimbal and it functions normally ...start engines whatever...i get telemetry data ..and no errors are displayed in the status.

I have a feeling i have a bad camera or some other hardware item... this is fresh out of the box ..never flown or dropped or anything else..

thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions
2017-9-29
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you are having issues this early... RETURN IT. Get another one! <-- Good advice.
2017-9-29
Use props
rszarka
lvl.2
Australia

Bob Brown Posted at 2017-9-29 10:17
If you are having issues this early... RETURN IT. Get another one!

Bob i know you are right but you know how it is ...you finally decide to spend the money get all excited once you order it ..cant wait for it to arrive ..its such a hard let down when it doesn't work and you will have to now wait weeks more to get your new drone! So i figured i will take your advice and just return it after all the effort i have put into trying to get it to work ...i will just try one last thing first resetting to factory defaults...

I factory reset the drone ...but the factory reset for the RC wouldnt work in DJI Assistant 2..i tried 10 x and it failed 10 x...i then upgraded both the drone and the RC back up to the latest firmware ...

Made sure to unplug the side cable on the controller before plugging in my galaxy ...turned it all on and everything worked ..had video feed and the rest ...so charging up everything to 100 percent to take out for its first test flight..

Question is should i keep it if all works after all of this that has happened is it defective and just temporarily working or was this just some kind of software glitch??

I will post here how the test flight goes ..if all is ok maybe this thread can help someone else that runs into this problem in the future on how to solve a no image issue without any errors on the go app ...i did not have the no image transmission error showing at anytime except for a brief moment right after the first firmware upgrade... When i saw that i knew i would have issues because that is exactly why my Phantom 4 is in for repairs now.... i just heard from DJI on the diagnosis ...they said it was a bad main board in my RC ...weird thing though it flew fine hours before and the whole problem started after the latest firmware update.... can a firmware update wipe out an RC board? As it was flying fine just before i did the update!

2017-9-29
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

rszarka Posted at 2017-9-29 20:24
is it defective and just temporarily working or was this just some kind of software glitch??

The fact that you were getting video for a split second while moving the gimbal tells me that you have a hardware problem.  Bad cable connection, maybe a bad camera, etc.

Then when you were doing all those factory reset attempts and firmware upgrades, the Mavic was sitting there getting quite hot internally.  Like they always do when you leave them sitting while turned on.  The temperature difference might have been just enough to expand some component by a minuscule amount which caused it to start working.

If any of that is close to the mark, I would expect it to quit working again after an overnight rest or after the first cool temperatures it encounters.  Maybe give it a few firm raps with an open palm on a safe part of the aircraft and see what happens.  I would not trust this camera without finding the cause.
2017-9-29
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

It seems that all is connected according to the screen. Now please check if all the firmware is up to date, the latest version is v01.04.0000 and app for iOS is v4.1.12. Sometimes the firmware version with a +/- mark behind means the upgrading incomplete, you need to check the version after upgrading. You can check the version by this way: power on the drone, RC, app and enter device---upper right icon---general----about. Note that the first generation of iPad mini is not on the support list, which generation is your iPad?
Besides, could you please help to export all the files from DJI GO 4, both from your iOS device and Android device, except your private files, upload them to Dropbox and paste the link here so I can forward to our engineers? Thank you so much.
Since you had tried another device, if still no success, I recommend sending it back for repair. Sorry for the inconvenience.

2017-9-29
Use props
rszarka
lvl.2
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-29 22:35
It seems that all is connected according to the screen. Now please check if all the firmware is up to date, the latest version is v01.04.0000 and app for iOS is v4.1.12. Sometimes the firmware version with a +/- mark behind means the upgrading incomplete, you need to check the version after upgrading. You can check the version by this way: power on the drone, RC, app and enter device---upper right icon---general----about. Note that the first generation of iPad mini is not on the support list, which generation is your iPad?
Besides, could you please help to export all the files from DJI GO 4, both from your iOS device and Android device, except your private files, upload them to Dropbox and paste the link here so I can forward to our engineers? Thank you so much.
Since you had tried another device, if still no success, I recommend sending it back for repair. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Irate Retro you were absolutely right ...quit working the very next time i used it when i attempted a flight ...then after a reset the still picture thing happened again ..all i had on the screen was a still picture...
I still flew it to see how it handles just kept it close ...what a great machine ..very lithe and handles the wind brilliantly i was so disgusted by all the problems right out of the box i was just going to get a refund but now since i really enjoyed the way it flew i will get a replacement as its a great quad and handles so nicely...

DJI Thor ...thanks for your help....its definitely a hardware issue my friend i have spent two days upgrading downgrading trying everything in the book ..im just going to send it back for a replacement... As even if it starts working now i wont trust it to keep working ....
2017-9-30
Use props
rszarka
lvl.2
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-29 22:35

I just realised because i imported this drone to Australia from the USA if i return this item i will lose hundreds of dollars in import fees and duty..then would have to pay hundreds again in import fees and duty for the replacement mavic! So fixing it is the only real viable option ...Thor here are the logs from my SD card ..the drone the controller .....i got them from the blackbox in dji assistant. just click the dropbox link for the .zip file
If we cannot figure this out i will need to send it into the Australian repair facility  for warranty repair ..

to answer your question the firmware is same version on both the controller and drone and up to date on both... how do i export files from dji go....which files?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2yvpswwcgka0f6l/mavic%20logs.zip?dl=0
2017-9-30
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oh my ... DJI should just send you a new Mavic and maybe even a Platinum  version upgrade for your troubles. You would expect that fresh out of the box has come a DJI product that they will stand behind 100%.
Having to send your BRAND NEW Mavic in for repairs is ridiculous! So sorry man!
2017-9-30
Use props
rszarka
lvl.2
Australia

Bob Brown Posted at 2017-9-30 03:58
Oh my ... DJI should just send you a new Mavic and maybe even a Platinum  version upgrade for your troubles. You would expect that fresh out of the box has come a DJI product that they will stand behind 100%.
Having to send your BRAND NEW Mavic in for repairs is ridiculous! So sorry man!

Thanks Bob ...thats only half the story ..i recently got a phantom 4 ..5 or so flights in a firmware upgrade took down the rc ..its getting warranty repaired now as we speak ...im really into these things and have a short vacation coming up this long week end week end at a very scenic spot so bought the mavic just to be able to film while im there....my plan did not work out!..so i have 2 broken brand new drones without me crashing or dropping them or whatever lol talk about bad luck when it comes to these things if i didnt like them so much i think i would find a new hobby right about now....im new to DJI so have no idea how they will handle this! A plantinum mavic would make up for it all though haha
2017-9-30
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rszarka Posted at 2017-9-29 10:15
Hi thanks to everyone for the replies

I have reinstalled the go app 3 x now ... i have tried on both my galaxy edge 7 and ipad mini same situation on both...i tried unplugging the side cable when i plug in the ipad ..no change...

"I have reinstalled the go app 3 x now "

The Mavic will probably not work with the earlier version 3.XX of DJI Go. If anything like the P4 switch to DJI Go 4 then the earlier versions became unusable after the step up to DJI Go 4 App' (and the firmware updates). I would suggest using DJI Go 4.

I notice on your screen shots it seems to indicate no SD card installed. Does anything change when an SD card is inserted (and formatted in aircraft) ?

Edit:- You say you unplugged the side cable after plugging in iPad. Try unplugging side cable before powering all up and connecting iPad (running DJI Go 4).

2017-9-30
Use props
rszarka
lvl.2
Australia

Aardvark Posted at 2017-9-30 05:36
"I have reinstalled the go app 3 x now "

The Mavic will probably not work with the earlier version 3.XX of DJI Go. If anything like the P4 switch to DJI Go 4 then the earlier versions became unusable after the step up to DJI Go 4 App' (and the firmware updates). I would suggest using DJI Go 4.

Aardvark
You also helped me in my phantom thread a week or so ago when it went down. Very nice of you to help people as much as you do thank you!

I guess I explained it wrong ...I don't have the go 3 app but the correct go 4 ...what I meant was I I reinstalled the app 3 times over by then.
I am almost positive this is a hardware fault by now ..camera works for a second then doesn't. In wifi mode it worked for around a minute then stopped ..the rc will not factory reset no matter how I try it. Really there is not much else to try to fix this thing ..it has been downgraded ..upgraded ..I tried delinking the rc but that wouldn't work. ..sd card formatted ..removed sd card ..reformatted sd card..

I saw  a picture somewhere where  the mavic is linked to the controller via the USB cable. Anyone know what that is for? Is that another way to link the controller to the mavic? I also read a few things about rebinding the camera..but I think it was in a phantom thread....does that apply to mavics ?
2017-9-30
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rszarka Posted at 2017-9-30 18:57
Aardvark
You also helped me in my phantom thread a week or so ago when it went down. Very nice of you to help people as much as you do thank you!

The Mavic being directly connected to the controller was part of the procedure to update the 'Precise Fly Safe Database' update. And this connection between controller and aircraft seems common across the range, allowing the Controller to pass downloaded data directly to the aircraft. As part of this there is also data to be updated on each controlling devices. So with My P4, Mavic, iPad & IPhone 6S Plus that's four times in total I'll have run through this.

Back to your camera problem, as you say it is looking more like a hardware fault (ribbon cable ?) if there is an intermittent picture on the screen.
2017-10-1
Use props
rszarka
lvl.2
Australia

Aardvark Posted at 2017-10-1 03:45
The Mavic being directly connected to the controller was part of the procedure to update the 'Precise Fly Safe Database' update. And this connection between controller and aircraft seems common across the range, allowing the Controller to pass downloaded data directly to the aircraft. As part of this there is also data to be updated on each controlling devices. So with My P4, Mavic, iPad & IPhone 6S Plus that's four times in total I'll have run through this.

Back to your camera problem, as you say it is looking more like a hardware fault (ribbon cable ?) if there is an intermittent picture on the screen.

Aardvark : thanks for that info mate! I was curious about all of that...
I have given up on trying to get this to work. It is not an intermitent picture but every now and then the video feed starts for a second then i end up with a still shot stuck on the screen  ..but no video feed.. It is definately a hardware error, this mavic pro came with a faulty camera or board or something ..ribbon cable looks fine but i know very little about them...one clue...the drone factory resets no problem in dji assistant 2 but the rc fails..will not factory reset or reset outside of the assistant wit the procedure dji emailed me to try ..So i have started the warranty repair procedure...i will be sending it in for repairs as soon as i can... A little annoying to have to do this on a brand new unit fresh out of the box but such is life right!

Thanks again very much for your help!
2017-10-2
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

rszarka Posted at 2017-9-30 03:31
I just realised because i imported this drone to Australia from the USA if i return this item i will lose hundreds of dollars in import fees and duty..then would have to pay hundreds again in import fees and duty for the replacement mavic! So fixing it is the only real viable option ...Thor here are the logs from my SD card ..the drone the controller .....i got them from the blackbox in dji assistant. just click the dropbox link for the .zip file
If we cannot figure this out i will need to send it into the Australian repair facility  for warranty repair ..

Really sorry to hear about your case, feel painful for this.
For the files of the app, all of the files except for your private files, like cache video, photo folders etc.
If you could send it in, I will forward them to our engineers to see if there is a solution for you to try.
2017-10-8
Use props
rszarka
lvl.2
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-8 02:46
Really sorry to hear about your case, feel painful for this.
For the files of the app, all of the files except for your private files, like cache video, photo folders etc.
If you could send it in, I will forward them to our engineers to see if there is a solution for you to try.

Thor

Thanks for your reply...my Mavic is already at the DJI repair center, it has been there for a few days now. I did not have any cached video or pictures as the camera never worked...

Thanks mate
2017-10-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

rszarka Posted at 2017-10-10 03:33
Thor

Thanks for your reply...my Mavic is already at the DJI repair center, it has been there for a few days now. I did not have any cached video or pictures as the camera never worked...

I feel so regretful for that I myself could not help to solve this issue. Since you had sent it back, our colleagues will take care of it. Hope you can get the drone back to the air shortly.
2017-10-11
Use props
fans9f85da53
lvl.3
Flight distance : 502982 ft
United States

Had the same problem with a Mavic Pro Platinum that I borrowed from a friend just to take out instead of my Inspire 2 for a place that the Inspire was too big to take in. Couldn’t get the video feed to work even though the aircraft would fly. Did everything I could think of to get it to work but no luck. My Inspire hooked up just fine but when I would try to use the Mavic still no video feed?? Finally I just said the heck with it and went to the beautiful location without a drone to shoot videos with.
2018-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules