Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Flight Controller Data Analysis Series Tutorials--Part 1
12Next >
6992 53 2017-9-28 23:22:15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Support
DJI team
Japan

For aircraft, the data recorder inside the aircraft (similar to a black box) will record the flight status (e.g. height and flight speed), pilot's operation and flight data during the flight in real time. By analyzing the flight data,
we can analyze the cause of the flight accident and determine who shall take responsibility for the accident.

Content:

1.        Flight Controller Data Analysis Series Tutorials – Exporting the Flight Controller Data and Introducing DataViewer
2.        Flight Controller Data Analysis Series Tutorials – Locating the Crash Data
3.        Flight Controller Data Analysis Series Tutorials – Introduction to Coordinate Systems
4.        Flight Controller Data Analysis Series Tutorials – Introduction to Attitude Mode and Crash Cases
5.        Flight Controller Data Analysis Series Tutorials – Stopping Motors by Conducting the Combination Stick Command (CSC)
6.        Flight Controller Data Analysis Series Tutorials – Drone Under Control Crash Cases
7.        Flight Controller Data Analysis Series Tutorials – Compass Interference Cases

1.        Flight Controller Data Analysis Series Tutorials – Exporting the Flight Controller Data and Introducing DataViewer

DataViewer is included in DJI Assistant 2, which can be used to analyze the flight controller data from the DJI Phantom series and Inspire series drones, A3, and N3.

1.1 How to Export the Data

The flight controller data refers to the data, including the working statuses of different modules, control and navigation information, etc., generated by the flight controller after the DJI drone is powered on and stored in the internal memory until the drone is powered off. One data file will be generated after the drone is powered on and off. The data files will be named in a sequential numbering order. The log file will be split when its file size exceeds 450 MB. Around 10 MB data will be generated after the drone has flown for one minute, so the log file size will reach 450 MB after the drone has flown for 45 minutes.
DataViewer is mainly used for checking and analyzing the drones’ flight controller data, examining the performance, and troubleshooting the malfunctions of drones. It is an effective tool for finding out the causes of the drones’ malfunctions.

Operate the following steps to export the flight controller data with DataViewer:
1.        Launch DJI Assistant 2.
2.        Connect to a drone via the USB port on the drone.
3.        Click “Flight Data” on the left panel and enter the Flight Record List screen. For the Phantom 3 series and Inspire 1 series drones, you need to enter “Read flight data mode”   with DJI GO.
4.        Click the button for the SD card mode and you will see a “DJI FLY LOG” removable drive on the PC, as shown in figure 1.1.
5.        Then copy the flight controller data to your local disk.

1.png

2.png

Figure 1.1

1.2 Introduction to DataViewer

Click “Flight Record” on the left panel, enter the “Flight Record List” screen, and click “Open Data Viewer”.

3.png

Click the button marked in figure 1.2 to open a flight record file.
4.png

Figure 1.2

Figure 1.3 shows the main screen of the DataViewer software and table 1.1 lists DataViewer’s features.

5.png

Figure 1.3

Table 1.1

table 1.1.png

Curves can be zoomed in, zoomed out, and moved by using the Arrow, Zoom In, and Zoom Out tools.
Zoom Out: Move the arrow of the mouse to the diagram region and scroll up the mouse to zoom out by using the Arrow, Zoom In, Zoom Out, or the Hand Tool. Or, with the Zoom Out tool, left-click the diagram region to zoom out.
Zoom In: Move the arrow of the mouse to the diagram region and scroll down the mouse to zoom in by using the Arrow, Zoom In, Zoom Out, or the Hand Tool. Or, with the Zoom In tool, press and hold the left key of the mouse, and drag the rectangular region to zoom in.
Move: Press the button of the mouse to move a curve by using the Arrow, Zoom In, or Zoom Out tool. Or, with Hand Tool, press and hold the left key of the mouse to move a curve.
In the diagram region, X axis always represents time in the unit of second. Y axis represents different parameters according to the curves. For height curves, the unit is meter. For speed curves, the unit is m/s.

1.3 Introduction to Major Data

In the Flight Data region, you can check all data packages and values of the variables of the flight controller data. Next, we will introduce the major types of data packages and the meaning of the specified variables. DataViewer will visualize the data in the data packages in curves for data analysis.
The data in the current flight data records mainly includes the attitude data, OSD data, controller data, remote controller data, motor data, ESC data, battery data, and Obstacle Avoidance data. Flight data may vary according to the drone models, firmware version, etc.
Table 1.2 lists the data packages in the flight controller data and their contents.

Table 1.2 Major Data Packages (might differ with model of the aircraft)
table 1.2.png

Next, we will introduce the commonly used data packages and their meanings.

Table 1.3 lists the common data items in the attitude data package and their meanings.

Table 1.3 Major Data in the Attitude Data Package

table 1.3.png

Table 1.4 lists the common data items in the OSD data package and their meanings

Table 1.4 Major Data in the OSD Data Package

table 1.4.png

Table 1.5 lists the common data items in the remote controller data package and their meanings.

Table 1.5 Major Data in the Remote Controller Data Package

table 1.5.png

Table 1.6 lists the common data items in the motor data package and their meanings.

Table 1.6 Major Data in the Motor Data Package

1.6.png

Table 1.7 lists the common data items in the ESC data package and their meanings

Table 1.7 Major Data in the ESC Data Package

1.7.png

Table 1.8 lists the common data items in the battery data package and their meanings.

Table 1.8 Major Data in the Battery Data Package

1.8.png

Table 1.9 lists the common data items in the Obstacle Avoidance data package and their meanings.

Table 1.9 Major Data in the Obstacle Avoidance Data Package (Varying According to Drone Models)

1.9.png

If you want to know the meaning of an item, click it in the Flight Data region, and its description including the meaning and unit will be shown in Description region on the lower right corner, as shown in figure 1.4.

17.png

Figure 1.4

2017-9-28 23:22:15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 1172
Netherlands

Thanks for this extensive piece of info!
2017-9-29 03:23:53
Use props
Slic Ric
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1339
United States

+1 YES! Thank you for the detailed breakdown. An excellent introduction.
2017-9-29 03:30:33
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.4
Flight distance : 89360
Australia

Excellent..this is good info ..thank you
2017-9-29 04:44:22
Use props
Ozzziee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1788
Australia

Great Info..!! Would help a lot. Thanks
2017-9-29 07:23:32
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 24610
Germany

Please add this excellent feature also for the Spark!
2017-9-29 08:12:49
Use props
gezzer300
Second Officer
Flight distance : 48463
United States

Good Stuff

Thanks,
2017-9-29 09:17:02
Use props
SG70
lvl.2
France

thanks for this !
2017-9-29 09:49:50
Use props
heliman
lvl.4

I have been looking for that, but I don’t see any “Flight Data” viewer in dji assistant 2 v.1.1.6 (mac version)  with my spark.
2017-9-29 11:35:25
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 24610
Germany

heliman Posted at 2017-9-29 11:35
I have been looking for that, but I don’t see any “Flight Data” viewer in dji assistant 2 v.1.1.6 (mac version)  with my spark.

Because it is not (yet) available for Spark (see my post 6# requesting for this).
2017-9-29 14:31:34
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
First Officer
Flight distance : 138442
Australia

Yes most definitely a good piece of info, especially for new starters
2017-9-30 03:26:02
Use props
fans76920c20
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1928077
United States

I recently lost my P3A, not sure what the cause, but can the flight records stored within my ipad mini be uploaded into this program somehow? Thanks very much
2017-9-30 17:11:49
Use props
Mobilcams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 644534
Canada

fans76920c20 Posted at 2017-9-30 17:11
I recently lost my P3A, not sure what the cause, but can the flight records stored within my ipad mini be uploaded into this program somehow? Thanks very much

I believe this information is pulled directly from the flight recorder on the AC itself. This data is stored in an SD card glued into place inside your AC. There is other data that you can retrieve from your flight records on board your tablet.
2017-10-1 15:45:10
Use props
marklyn59
lvl.3
Flight distance : 25453
United States

Excellent stuff! Thanks so much for your time in doing this!
2017-10-1 15:51:03
Use props
fans8f3ae11a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3665
United States

This is a wonderful new feature, enabling many mysteries to be cleared up or illuminated by adept users.  Thank you for this!
2017-10-1 15:52:00
Use props
fans76920c20
lvl.4
United States

I have installed the DJI Assistant software onto my Mac Computer. If i hook up my Phantom 3 Advanced via the USB Cable and enable Flight Data Mode etc, the program will not initialize but stays on the first page without recognizing my P3. If I hook up my P4, the program it will initialize properly. After I had the program open, I tried loading one of the DAT Files from the P3 which I saved, but the program would not recognize the file even though it said it was loaded into the program. I'm not sure what's going on, but it seems the program is not P3 friendly, or I'm doing something wrong?
2017-10-1 18:14:06
Use props
Kalle2017
lvl.2
Germany

Please add this feature also for the Mavic Pro !
2017-10-2 01:19:08
Use props
LeChuck71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5416
Germany

Very nice, keep up the great work
2017-10-2 04:23:00
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16567
United States

Excellent!
2017-10-2 04:36:39
Use props
jcgoobee
lvl.3
Flight distance : 53831
United States

good info indeed, especially for the newbies
2017-10-2 10:31:26
Use props
Bernoullis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1505
United Kingdom

fans76920c20 Posted at 2017-10-1 18:14
I have installed the DJI Assistant software onto my Mac Computer. If i hook up my Phantom 3 Advanced via the USB Cable and enable Flight Data Mode etc, the program will not initialize but stays on the first page without recognizing my P3. If I hook up my P4, the program it will initialize properly. After I had the program open, I tried loading one of the DAT Files from the P3 which I saved, but the program would not recognize the file even though it said it was loaded into the program. I'm not sure what's going on, but it seems the program is not P3 friendly, or I'm doing something wrong?

Have a closer look at this list of actions from the opening DJI post at the top of this thread - note the bit in item 3 that I jhave highlighted in bold:

"Operate the following steps to export the flight controller data with DataViewer:
1.        Launch DJI Assistant 2.
2.        Connect to a drone via the USB port on the drone.
3.        Click “Flight Data” on the left panel and enter the Flight  Record List screen. For the Phantom 3 series and Inspire 1 series  drones, you need to enter “Read flight data mode”   with DJI GO.
4.        Click the button for the SD card mode and you will see a “DJI  FLY LOG” removable drive on the PC, as shown in figure 1.1.
5.        Then copy the flight controller data to your local disk."

Will that perhaps solve your problem?

2017-10-2 14:53:38
Use props
Murilo Carmello
Second Officer
Flight distance : 454503
United States

very good information
2017-10-4 03:20:59
Use props
fans76920c20
lvl.4
United States

Bernoullis Posted at 2017-10-2 14:53
Have a closer look at this list of actions from the opening DJI post at the top of this thread - note the bit in item 3 that I jhave highlighted in bold:

"Operate the following steps to export the flight controller data with DataViewer:

Thank you for your answer, if you look at my post I did mention I entered the flight data mode, but, it will not open up the program after the first page showing the usb cable needing to be inserted into the craft. I'll give it a try later, perhaps I overlooked something.
2017-10-4 09:04:06
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23324

Good to know!
2017-10-4 10:12:59
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 152543
United States

The Mavic is not mentioned as supported. Does this work for the Mavic? if not, will that be available at some point?
2017-10-5 06:17:52
Use props
gnirtS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 152308
United Kingdom

So did this get broken in the firmware updates?
Worked perfectly until the latest firmware release.  Now it simply doesn't work.  No SD card shows in windows before or after clicking the flight data screen.  Verified on 3 different windows PCs all using the latest version of DJI assistant 1.1.6.  All installed the unsigned drivers.  Other functions like firmware check, calibration etc all work.

Something changed and now seem totally unable to access any flight or black box data at all via the PC.
2017-10-5 08:50:24
Use props
BumblerBee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96586

I am on DJI Assistant 1.1.6, just upgraded firmware from 3.1 to 4.0, hoping that access to the flight data would be fixed, but no.
Step 1 of this tutorial is impossible, as SD card shows up as unformatted (no medium present) in Windows Explorer.

I tried using Data Browser, and Save to Local, but the resulting .DAT file cannot be parsed by the Viewer
Data.PNG
2017-10-5 10:42:24
Use props
JavierTF
lvl.1
Spain

Very interesting. Thank you!
2017-10-5 21:02:18
Use props
Tex21
lvl.3
Flight distance : 39903
Australia

Kalle2017 Posted at 2017-10-2 01:19

Yeah - why is this posted in the Mavic forum when it doesn't actually work on a Mavic?

Mavic pilots need this as well if they want similar functionality to P4 and P3.
2017-10-6 14:03:49
Use props
Saskebaby
lvl.4
Flight distance : 286598
Philippines

Thank you...
2017-10-6 23:00:48
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Japan

fans76920c20 Posted at 2017-9-30 17:11

Flight records are saved in APP. Flight logs are saved in the aircraft. They are different.
If the drone flew away, the data log cannot be retrieved, so the data cannot be imported to DJI Assitant 2 for analysis.
If the drone is still in warranty period, please contact our support to provide the records and start a ticket for data analysis.
2017-10-11 01:32:24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Japan

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-9-29 14:31
Because it is not (yet) available for Spark (see my post 6# requesting for this).

Our engineers are working on it, we would appreciate your patience.
2017-10-11 01:33:29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Japan

fans76920c20 Posted at 2017-10-1 18:14

Please note that you need to connect Phantom 4 firstly to open DataViewer in advance.
Please keep us updated if the problem persists.
2017-10-11 01:49:44
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Japan

Kalle2017 Posted at 2017-10-2 01:19

Our engineers are working on it, you patience would be appreciated.
2017-10-11 01:50:42
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Japan

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-10-5 06:17
The Mavic is not mentioned as supported. Does this work for the Mavic? if not, will that be available at some point?

This method is not available with Spark and Mavic at the moment, our engineers are working on developing, we don't have the time frame, you patience would be appreciated.
2017-10-11 01:55:56
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Japan

BumblerBee Posted at 2017-10-5 10:42
I am on DJI Assistant 1.1.6, just upgraded firmware from 3.1 to 4.0, hoping that access to the flight data would be fixed, but no.
Step 1 of this tutorial is impossible, as SD card shows up as unformatted (no medium present) in Windows Explorer.

This method is not available for Mavic and Spark at present.
Did the drone be crashed? What can we do for you?
2017-10-11 02:11:12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Japan

Tex21 Posted at 2017-10-6 14:03
Yeah - why is this posted in the Mavic forum when it doesn't actually work on a Mavic?

Mavic pilots need this as well if they want similar functionality to P4 and P3.

Our engineers are working on developing this function for Mavic, please wait patiently, thank you.
2017-10-11 02:12:23
Use props
BumblerBee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96586
Norway

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-10-11 02:11
This method is not available for Mavic and Spark at present.
Did the drone be crashed? What can we do for you?

No, no crash.

I am simply retaining all logs (both AC and app) from each flight, in case they are needed to be referenced in the future. Alas, the history is incomplete after the upgrade.

I hope this is fixed soon!
2017-10-11 03:26:52
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 152543
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-10-11 01:55
This method is not available with Spark and Mavic at the moment, our engineers are working on developing, we don't have the time frame, you patience would be appreciated.

That explains it. Thanks, Mindy!
2017-10-11 06:08:41
Use props
Biowizard
lvl.2
United Kingdom

This is a wonderful and very informative post. THANK YOU!
Brian
2017-10-13 01:04:45
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules