I’m angry, frustrated, sad and scared all at the same time
2162 34 2017-9-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans35a98fd8
lvl.1
United States

Why am I angry, frustrated, sad and scared all at the same time you may ask? Well, let me tell you.

1) I am angry that everytime I update the DJI Go app it disables my P3P until I update the Firmware on the RC and Aicraft
2) I am frustrated with the archaic process of updating the firmware for the RC and Aircraft
3) I am sad because after taking all day to update the Firmware, my P3P no longer shows an image, even after reinstalling the firmware and relinking the RC and Aircraft multiple times
4) Scared because last time I had to update the firmware it bricked my Aircraft and I had to mail the brick to DJI for service which took months

The Aircraft is responsive, but does not transmit images.  I attached a screenshot showing that I have the latest firmware installed on both the RC and Aircraft, and the DJI Go app is obviously the latest update.  I am incredibly disappointed with this product and wish I never purchased it.  What a waste of my time and money.  Hopefully there is an easy fix but I doubt it.

Firmware after updates

Firmware after updates
2017-9-29
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Was it in this shape when you got it back from repair?
2017-9-29
Use props
fans35a98fd8
lvl.1
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-9-29 07:31
Was it in this shape when you got it back from repair?

No, it worked fine.  I havent used it for a while and it told me that Firmware update was required so I updated it.  I was under the impression that the DJI Go app would do the updating, which it did, but just for the RC.  So I updated the Aircraft the old fashioned way then relinked the two, and now no video transmission.  I have successfully rolled back the RC to 1.8 and am now in search of a way to roll back the Aircraft to the last version which I think was 1.10.9.  

Before the update, the firmware on both the Aircraft and RC were several versions old.  
2017-9-29
Use props
BocaDad
lvl.1
United States

fans35a98fd8 Posted at 2017-9-29 08:49
No, it worked fine.  I havent used it for a while and it told me that Firmware update was required so I updated it.  I was under the impression that the DJI Go app would do the updating, which it did, but just for the RC.  So I updated the Aircraft the old fashioned way then relinked the two, and now no video transmission.  I have successfully rolled back the RC to 1.8 and am now in search of a way to roll back the Aircraft to the last version which I think was 1.10.9.  

Before the update, the firmware on both the Aircraft and RC were several versions old.

Ok, I’ve spent about 12 solid hours trying to resolve this issue.  I decided not to roll back the AC FW due to Beijing concern so I just reinstalled the latest FW again on the RC.  Everything still works except no video transmission.   I don’t really know what to do at this point.  I can fly it, take videos and photos, and land it, but without the video being transmitted to the RC.  Very frustrating and sad.

Does anyone know how to formally submit a service request?  Last time I was able to get help through the IM but apparently its not working.   
2017-9-29
Use props
Mordorr
lvl.2

Portugal

Uninstall and reinstall the app.
2017-9-29
Use props
fans55ae5496
Second Officer

United States

Welcome to DJI. Your experience echoes mine. If your craft works, DON'T UPDATE IT.
2017-9-29
Use props
pearson222
New
United States

I had the very same issue.  I deleted the DJI Go app to reinstall it and now I am unable to get the app to recognize my aircraft.  I am stuck with a "How to connect" button.  There are serious issues with the latest updates for the entire platform - Go app, Aircraft & RC.  DJI will not acknowledge that the issue lies in their software.
2017-9-29
Use props
fans55ae5496
Second Officer

United States

Their preferred "solution" is to have you box it up, send it back, and wait and wait and wait. Then hope they actually fixed more than they broke.

Or buy a new drone from them, the new drone is better, faster, cooler, so many more new functions, most of which do not work as advertised.

DJI's abysmal customer service, combined with the ever more strict rules on where one can fly (partly due to idiots doing very dumb things) will soon mean we all have multi-thousand dollar paperweights, along with a growing collection of ever faster (and more expensive) ipads that we had to purchase to keep up with the ever greater demands placed on them by the forced FW updates that we are not able to downgrade from.
2017-9-29
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I‘m sincerely sorry to read your experience. Just to verify, the controller could control the drone, right?
Have you tried to unplug and re-plug the 6-pin wire on the side of gimbal? Any difference?
2017-9-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Hope that you guys get this glitch figured out. I can feel the frustration building up, in your words.

There must be a common solution, but for the life of me, I can't quite get my hands on it...

Deep thought!!

RedHotPoker
2017-9-30
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fans55ae5496 Posted at 2017-9-29 18:44
Their preferred "solution" is to have you box it up, send it back, and wait and wait and wait. Then hope they actually fixed more than they broke.

Or buy a new drone from them, the new drone is better, faster, cooler, so many more new functions, most of which do not work as advertised.

Sir, could you offer your case number? I'll see what can I do for you. We are keeping trying to improve our customer service and would like to offer better experience for the customers we valued.
2017-9-30
Use props
fredq2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 133287 ft
United States

Im also convinced that unless there are compelling performance or safety reasons, never to update.

Have you tried a different phone or tablet? It sounds like an app issue if you are able to fly normally.
2017-9-30
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Is this the problem where removing the SD card and firing it all up works?
Don't forget to put the SD card back in before you fly though.
2017-9-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Just be sure to turn the drone Off, before inserting the sd card.

Likewise be sure the drone is Off before removing said sd card as well.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-30
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Which display device are you using ? Some have difficulty in running the more recent versions of DJI Go. If that is the case then it may be worthwhile trying to roll back DJI Go version, or perhaps Litchi (3rd party control App') might work better in producing a video image.
2017-9-30
Use props
aalds1
New
Flight distance : 896 ft
United States

My story is similar. I bought this Phantom 3 Pro less than 4 months ago.The first time I flew every thing worked perfectly. I was advised in reading DJI website info (somewhere) to update. After "updating"
updating plane and controller nothing works!. I get the message "disconnected". I have spent at least 10 hours trying to  fix this. Extremely frustrating! I have read many articles and posts for
info on this. No real help from DJI itself. I was told my DJI tech guy that my Galaxie tab A tablet was not recommended and was likely my problem. So I decided to sell the Tab A (eventually). I
bought an Apple ipad mini 4 and hooked it up to the controller as directed d. Still no good results. Still get "disconnected message. I am nearly ready to sell this "great" DJI product for whatever
I can get ad buy another company drone!

DJI, please help me to save your Company reputation!!

DJI, please help to save your company reputation!!
2017-10-1
Use props
BocaDad
lvl.1
United States

Mordorr Posted at 2017-9-29 11:13
Uninstall and reinstall the app.

I haven’t tried that.  If this works I will be so happy...and embarrassed.
2017-10-1
Use props
BocaDad
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-30 02:10
I‘m sincerely sorry to read your experience. Just to verify, the controller could control the drone, right?
Have you tried to unplug and re-plug the 6-pin wire on the side of gimbal? Any difference?

Hi DJI Susan,

It all works except video transmission.  I have not disconnected anything.  How do I go about disconecting the gimbal?  Is it the strip on the side?
2017-10-1
Use props
BocaDad
lvl.1
United States

fans55ae5496 Posted at 2017-9-29 11:20
Welcome to DJI. Your experience echoes mine. If your craft works, DON'T UPDATE IT.

I’m a dummy.  I thought I had to upgrade to use it.
2017-10-1
Use props
BocaDad
lvl.1
United States

sky wombat Posted at 2017-9-30 02:31
Is this the problem where removing the SD card and firing it all up works?
Don't forget to put the SD card back in before you fly though.

Mr Wombat,

It works with the SD and records to the SD but I can’t see anything on my Android or iPad Mini since the app is not receiving a video transmission.  
2017-10-1
Use props
BocaDad
lvl.1
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-30 03:03
Just be sure to turn the drone Off, before inserting the sd card.

I always do that.
2017-10-1
Use props
BocaDad
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-9-30 03:19
Which display device are you using ? Some have difficulty in running the more recent versions of DJI Go. If that is the case then it may be worthwhile trying to roll back DJI Go version, or perhaps Litchi (3rd party control App') might work better in producing a video image.

You are speaking about things beyond my pay grade.  I have the most updated app on both the my android and iPad tablets, as well as the most recent FW for both the RC and AC.  I am sure that I must have done something wrong during the update process but I am not sure since everything updated successfully.
2017-10-1
Use props
BocaDad
lvl.1
United States

Hi All, As an updates, I have been trading emails with DJI support who are basically asking me to roll back my app to version 2.8.1, my AC to 1.01.0301, and the RC to 1.6.  I believe those are the versions that were installed from when DJI had to unbrick my drone several years ago.  I have no problem doing this but I don’t know how I can roll back the app or the Aircraft.
2017-10-1
Use props
BocaDad
lvl.1
United States

BocaDad Posted at 2017-10-1 08:04
I haven’t tried that.  If this works I will be so happy...and embarrassed.

Didn’t work. I still don’t get video transmission.
2017-10-1
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

BocaDad Posted at 2017-10-1 08:10
Mr Wombat,

It works with the SD and records to the SD but I can’t see anything on my Android or iPad Mini since the app is not receiving a video transmission.

OK BocaDad just so I understand.
My reading is that images are being recorded to SD card but you can not see on your monitoring device when Phantom is switched on? So recording onto the SD card OK, but no image on iPad?
2017-10-1
Use props
Flying Cowpie
New
Flight distance : 1493 ft

United States

Sounds like you have too slow of a processor or not enough memory in your tablet for the new software. I am a newbie and started with a cheap tablet. Only got 1/4 of the video till I upgraded to 2G memory. All software u pgrades always use more resources. Just the nature of the beast.
2017-10-2
Use props
Flying Cowpie
New
Flight distance : 1493 ft

United States

Guess I should also address processor speed. I had enough memory on my phone to get Go4 to work, but my phone overheated and shut down due to processor working way too hard. From what I read, most of you all have the same problem. Try a better device if you have one, borrow one from a buddy to test my idea if you can. I expect this will solve most problems of this type.
2017-10-2
Use props
Sasquad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

Why do you continue to update it. If it works leave it alone and fly it! Mine has requested a firmware update for 6 months not going to happen. It flies great as is.
2017-10-2
Use props
BocaDad
lvl.1
United States

sky wombat Posted at 2017-10-1 14:57
OK BocaDad just so I understand.
My reading is that images are being recorded to SD card but you can not see on your monitoring device when Phantom is switched on? So recording onto the SD card OK, but no image on iPad?

That is correct.  I see people are telling me to upgrade the tablet so I will try using a new iPad and see it that works.
2017-10-3
Use props
BocaDad
lvl.1
United States

Flying Cowpie Posted at 2017-10-2 05:19
Sounds like you have too slow of a processor or not enough memory in your tablet for the new software. I am a newbie and started with a cheap tablet. Only got 1/4 of the video till I upgraded to 2G memory. All software u pgrades always use more resources. Just the nature of the beast.

It’s not showing any image it ill try upgrading the ipad and see if that works
2017-10-3
Use props
BocaDad
lvl.1
United States

Ok, I’ve tried everything, including using a new iPad and the image does not transmit. I’ve exchanged emails with DJI and they suggest to roll back all my updates since I will have to send the unit in anyway, so might as well try it. I’ll have to begin researching that process and I will let you all know how it goes.
2017-10-3
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Delete the GO app and reinstall
2017-10-6
Use props
DaGunn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 203117 ft
United States

Get a new usb cable.
2017-10-7
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Can we get a look at your camera settings in the DJI Go4 app
2017-10-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

BocaDad Posted at 2017-10-1 08:06
Hi DJI Susan,

It all works except video transmission.  I have not disconnected anything.  How do I go about disconecting the gimbal?  Is it the strip on the side?

Please make sure the pins are well connected. Also, you can remove the SD card to check.

If still no helps, I'm afraid that you have to send it in again. Please tell us your case number once you got it, I'd like to follow up.
2017-10-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules