FYI: FAA bans drones flights near Arch, other national landmarks
2149 22 2017-9-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Steve Slechta
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31276 ft
United States

This may have been mentioned previously on other posts about landmarks.

FAA bans drones flights near Arch, other national landmarks

The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration is  restricting drone flights within 400 feet of 10 national landmarks,  including the Gateway Arch.
The  restrictions will be effective Oct. 5. The FAA said it took the steps to  ban the drone flights at the request of U.S. national security and law  enforcement agencies.
This is the first  time the FAA has placed restrictions for drones over U.S. landmarks. The  organization has similar restrictions in place over military bases.
The  other landmarks where drone flights have been banned include: the  Statue of Liberty; Mount Rushmore; the U.S.S. Constitution in Boston;  Independence National Historical Park in Philadelphia; Folsom Dam in  California; Glen Canyon Dam in Arizona; Grand Coulee Dam in Washington;  Hoover Dam in Nevada; and the Shasta Dam in California.

Steve
Flight distance : 5852
Flight distance + Litchi: 72741
2017-09-24 - Breezy Island Flight

2017-9-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It’s a good idea both from a security and heritage perspective , your heritage belongs to not only this generation but for many generations to come.
2017-9-29
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Certainly because of "terrorist" threats using drones.  
2017-9-29
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

My motto to drone flight is "If it looks pretty, you can't film it." I bet if I fly my P4P in the rundown part of the city all day no one would bother me unless of course to relieve me of my drone.
2017-9-29
Use props
Steve Slechta
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31276 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-29 07:54
It’s a good idea both from a security and heritage perspective , your heritage belongs to not only this generation but for many generations to come.

Agreed. 400 ft isn't too bad either. I've been wanting to fly from the IL side of the Arch and when I looked on a map that's over 2000 ft away so plenty of clearance.
2017-9-29
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Maxi3D Posted at 2017-9-29 08:10
My motto to drone flight is "If it looks pretty, you can't film it." I bet if I fly my P4P in the rundown part of the city all day no one would bother me unless of course to relieve me of my drone.

If it wasn't so true this would be a funny statement!
2017-9-29
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

Thank you for the informative link.
2017-9-29
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

I understand the security part of it due to visitors etc.
I don't get the heritage part though. Can't imagine that drones would hurt the presidents at Mount Rushmore or similar.
By watching drone videos all over the world I've seen impressive heritage I've never known off. Like these monasteries in Greece high up in the rocks, amazing.

Drone videos have become a big part of showing and sharing landmarks/icons/heritage.
2017-9-29
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

This goes into effect OCT 5 so you better hurry if you want pictures from a drone, However, it also says if you get permission from the caretakers or the FAA you can. But I think there is little chance of getting permission unless you have some clout
2017-9-29
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-9-29 12:48
I don't get the heritage part though. Can't imagine that drones would hurt the presidents at Mount Rushmore or similar.
By watching drone videos all over the world I've seen impressive heritage I've never known off. Like these monasteries in Greece high up in the rocks, amazing.

I agree with you, seeing videos and pictures taken from drones, proves it can be done safely. Rather then ban us outright, maybe there should be a procedure or process we could go through to be given permission so the responsible drone operator can shoot videos and pictures.
2017-9-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

So let one let a hundred why not, how enjoyable would it be going to to Eiffel Tower with 20 drones buzzing around, I’m sure if you open the doors for one you will get every drone enthusiast wanting to have a run at it. I’m sure same rules apply to historical sites in Germany, if not maybe it should.
2017-9-29
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-29 13:13
So let one let a hundred why not, how enjoyable would it be going to to Eiffel Tower with 20 drones buzzing around, I’m sure if you open the doors for one you will get every drone enthusiast wanting to have a run at it. I’m sure same rules apply to historical sites in Germany, if not maybe it should.

Yeah - when I was talking landmarks I meant something out there in the land.
Not in a city of course. Something like Stonehenge. But I'm sure that is forbidden as well.
2017-9-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Eric13 Posted at 2017-9-29 13:19
Yeah - when I was talking landmarks I meant something out there in the land.
Not in a city of course. Something like Stonehenge. But I'm sure that is forbidden as well.

Stonehenge is part of national trust so no you are not allowed fly in or around any of there site. Look I think all these areas need protecting , my thinking is these sites are for everyone last generation this and the next generation etc people should be allowed visit these areas without the intrusion of people flying drones.
I’m sure that professional drone flyers can get specific operations permits to film and photograph these areas so there will be plenty for all of us to see.
2017-9-29
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-29 13:40
Stonehenge is part of national trust so no you are not allowed fly in or around any of there site. Look I think all these areas need protecting , my thinking is these sites are for everyone last generation this and the next generation etc people should be allowed visit these areas without the intrusion of people flying drones.
I’m sure that professional drone flyers can get specific operations permits to film and photograph these areas so there will be plenty for all of us to see.

I think the armies of tourists flooding every attraction is worse than what drone pilots could ever do.
There are many attractions world wide that just can't be visited anymore. Mostly because of busloads of tourists being dumped by the thousands every hour.

If the travel industry with all its pitiful victims could be banned and drone pilots would be allowed - I'm sure Stonehenge would be a peaceful place!
2017-9-29
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maybe it has something to do with this.

This is a technology that not only opens amazing possibilities , but also opens UNBELIEVABLE possibilities.
Cyber attacks may take on a whole new meaning............if the every day guy/girl can hack the software of a drone then...................?
2017-9-29
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

9/11 was not that long ago.
2017-9-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Eric13 Posted at 2017-9-29 13:57
I think the armies of tourists flooding every attraction is worse than what drone pilots could ever do.
There are many attractions world wide that just can't be visited anymore. Mostly because of busloads of tourists being dumped by the thousands every hour.

I like your thinking throw out the tourists let the drones in to film tourists can watch on you tube everyone’s a winner and heritage sites are saved. So long as drone users are not asked to make up for lost revenues. But yes I could live with that....
2017-9-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Tmygun Posted at 2017-9-29 14:13
9/11 was not that long ago.

I do believe for the US the threat should be taken seriously, there is very little terrorist won’t stoop too.
2017-9-29
Use props
Dobmatt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

"... Drone videos have become a big part of showing and sharing landmarks/icons/heritage ..."

How true, unfortunately ... What else can be possibly shown better, what wasn't published worldwide already by legions of professional photographers, herds of helicopter filmmakers, from every possible angle and altitude? Do I really need to see an amateur footage of Hoover Dam or Eiffel Tower?
2017-9-29
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

WHOA!  Can we all just step back a sec....
Look to avoid noise pollution, prevent annoyances, prevent damage, and ensure everyone has a pleasant experience enjoying, seeing, and exploring our national treasures and heritage sites it makes sense to restrict certain activities.  In this case drone operations.  OK fine, most might or could agree on this.  
However, maybe I'm missing something here, but last I checked it would be damned difficult to pack a nuke in a phantom or even an inspire and you sure as heck are not going to jam enough explosives in to one to even put a dent in the hoover damn or similar structure.  Without going in to explosives 101 here it just isn't that easy or plausible, possible yes, likely no.  If there is a question about security it's about the people more than anything else; they would be much more susceptible to a drone type of an attack than on any of these monuments & structures.  
After 911 they banned everyone from even going inside the Statue of Liberty let alone going up in to the crown.  Now, thankfully they are once again permitting tourists to do so.  My point, as much as it sounds good, you can't keep putting everything we have in a glass case to only see but never touch or experience.  With somethings you can do that, but others are more intended to be experienced not just looked at.
IMHO
2017-9-29
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-9-29 15:38
Do I really need to see an amateur footage of Hoover Dam or Eiffel Tower?

Well, have you seen the Hoover Dam in ridiculously over-saturated color?  And with completely crappy music in the background which serves no useful purpose at all?  Yeah, I didn't think so.  So there ya go; something new.
2017-9-29
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-9-29 16:10
Well, have you seen the Hoover Dam in ridiculously over-saturated color?  And with completely crappy music in the background which serves no useful purpose at all?  Yeah, I didn't think so.  So there ya go; something new.

Besides, home movies, which have been around for eons now are special to the ones taking them.  They aren't meant for the world or YouTube...
However, I guess that has become a lost thing too, to our modern error of everything is shared with everyone all the time...I guess I'm getting old.
2017-9-29
Use props
Dobmatt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Eric13 Posted at 2017-9-29 13:57

This is exactly what's going on! Your proposed solution is, however, impossible to achieve. You can not favour one privileged group of elite drone-ists and chase away another, much bigger band of sheep arriving at Yosemite Park by the same bus! Avid hobbyists and photographers represents a minority, we're talking about busloads of Spark owners here ...
2017-9-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules