Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Controller Battery Discharge Defaults?
4146 21 2017-9-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Barney Rubbel
Captain
United States

Hi Folks,
Just curious how others controllers react when sitting for much longer than one should. Say 2-3 months. I have 2 P3P's and 1 Controllers's battery will go all the way dead, while the other will only discharge to having 1 light flickering (the rest on full time). I presume (note I did not say 'assume') they will start auto-discharging similar to the aircraft batteries, no? Why would one go all the way dead? It recharges and works just fine. Thoughts? Do they have the same discharging characteristics as the aircraft batteries? Thanks!

Barney
2017-9-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

As with the intelligent flight battery.
If you wish to bring down the RC voltage, utilize the onboard flight SIM.

Some methods of DJI are awkward and unusual for us, but if you get into it, makes sense eventually.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-29
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Captain
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-29 12:34
As with the intelligent flight battery.
If you wish to bring down the RC voltage, utilize the onboard flight SIM.

That's a good idea. I've just been turning mine on until it hollars at me every once in a while (now). These batteries need to stay in use or they to nutty.   ...it's hollarin' at me right now.

Barney
2017-9-29
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Captain
United States

quadpilot Posted at 2017-9-29 12:27
I don't think they do auto discharge
i also wonder if the battery in it is left for more than a week charged to 90%
if it causes swelling and cell damage to the battery

It has not done anything to the transceiver/controller for my other set that I am aware of, but I have not officially checked the voltage on it, I just know that it looks to be almost fully charged. I can't see the battery to tell if it's swelling, however.

Barney
2017-9-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Barney Rubbel Posted at 2017-9-29 12:40
That's a good idea. I've just been turning mine on until it hollars at me every once in a while (now). These batteries need to stay in use or they to nutty.   ...it's hollarin' at me right now.

Barney

You can also hover the drone, on the spot too, you don't have to fly it...

It's personal choice...

RedHotPoker
2017-9-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

quadpilot Posted at 2017-9-29 14:58
yes and if you do go down the flying the drone sim route
make sure you have a fan blowing air onto the gimbal housing
because it starts to get very hot if not flying in outside air

I always utilize my double fan while tinkering or during flight SIM use. A fan is quite helpful in cooling the gimbal, but the internal temperature will elevate, as it sits.
The flight battery puts out heat as it uses voltage. Though that's very normal. As it should be.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-29
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Captain
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-29 12:49

It's personal choice...

I'd think that would be a long hover waiting for the controller battery to discharge. I'm glad you all mentioned the gimbals though. I didn't know they produced that much heat. I just found it odd that one controller is almost full while the other is completely empty, and if they were 'smart' batteries.

I've come up with a novel idea! Why don't I take them out flying!

Barney
2017-9-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Barney Rubbel Posted at 2017-9-29 15:50
I'd think that would be a long hover waiting for the controller battery to discharge. I'm glad you all mentioned the gimbals though. I didn't know they produced that much heat. I just found it odd that one controller is almost full while the other is completely empty, and if they were 'smart' batteries.

I've come up with a novel idea! Why don't I take them out flying!

We are Not sure about your flight kit essentials.  What makes one RC battery react different than any other.  I always remove both of my Spektrum RC batteries. But would never attempt to open my DJI RC case.
Yes, flying your drones would probably be the best way to discharge your packs, RC and flight.

AFAIK, the RC power supply, is a "regular" LiPo battery. But I have never seen one or the electronics connected to it.
Flying your drone, now that is a unique method. Might as well enjoy the awesome autumn weather, while it lasts. What an awesome colorful time of the year.  We are in for a bit of rainy slush in a couple of days here, so, no time like the present.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-29
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

There is absolutely no need to power up the drone if you want to discharge the controller battery.

The controller discharge rate is same whether drone is on or not. The only item that can change the discharge rate is if you have the P3P controller with cable connection to phone / tablet .... that cable actually charges the phone !

The controller battery is a low C rated lipo and because it only has to supply low demand is less problem to leave charged. Yes it will deteriorate over time, but compared to flight battery - its really not worth worrying about.
What OP is experiencing is Self Discharge ..... all battery's suffer Self Discharge .... he just has one that is discharging quicker than the other.

If your battery is charging up and giving reasonable use time - then fine. No need to play around with it.

I have 6 RC transmitters on LiPo and LiFe packs .... as well as two DJI .... I only discharge any to check they still give good use time once or twice a year ... otherwise they stay charged ready for use.

Nigel
2017-9-29
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-29 12:49

It's personal choice...

No need to have drone on at all .... makes no difference to controller duscharge rate.
Nigel
2017-9-29
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Just to verify, does the issue appear recently? Or do you just notice this recently?
2017-9-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-30 01:51
Just to verify, does the issue appear recently? Or do you just notice this recently?

Which issue are you referring to?

I still think it's best to fly your flight kit, to get the most out of it, and your batteries.

It may be ok to leave the RC battery charged, full time.
But no harm in using it, to drain the battery on a regular time frame either.

I would much rather get use from it, flying the drone, or utilizing the onboard flight SIM, than letting it sit idle and hoping for the best, from it. But YMMV
Always, Do what ever feels right for You. No harm in asking, either... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-9-30
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Captain
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-30 01:51

It has happened all along. One stays fairly charged, the other discharges over a few weeks. I try not to let them sit that long w/o using them, but it's been too damn hot to fly around here and I've been pretty busy. I've just never seen it go all the way down to where there were no lights on at all. Thanks!

Barney
2017-9-30
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-30 01:58
Which issue are you referring to?

I still think it's best to fly your flight kit, to get the most out of it, and your batteries.

I too prefer to USE rather than just discharge .... we buy these models to enjoy flight.

But as I say - if its just discharge controller - there is no need at all for AC to be powered on.

Nigel
2017-10-3
Use props
daveOz
New
Flight distance : 76332 ft
Australia

Hi All

Just trying to bring my P3P out of a 6 month retirement.  The remote controller will not charge and will  only connect to the aircraft if powered by mains power?  The aircraft batteries charged OK but i have a solid red light and flashing yellow/red on one pair.

When the controller is powered it indicates that the camera and aircraft require software updates.

Is my remote controller battery stuffed?  Ive tried to upgrade the software to the aircraft following the tutorial but it seems frozen?

Any help appreciated.
2017-10-3
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

DO NOT upgrade / update until you get controller working PLEASE !!

Suggest you plug in controller to charger and leave it - see if it wakes up ...

If not then you need to change the battery .... its a 2S LiPo .... but strange plug !!

See youtube for controller battery change ...

Nigel
2017-10-3
Use props
daveOz
New
Flight distance : 76332 ft
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2017-10-3 04:48
DO NOT upgrade / update until you get controller working PLEASE !!

Suggest you plug in controller to charger and leave it - see if it wakes up ...

Thanks Nigel
2017-10-3
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

The controller and AC both update when you do FW .... my reasoning is that if one or other is not 100% operable - then stay of the updates till all is correct. Updates are risky enough without adding to them !

Nigel
2017-10-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Updates are only a hazard, if you have a buggered drone. My Phantom has never had a single issue.
So updating it has always been my pleasure. Something to look forward to. ;-) Fear Not!!

RedHotPoker
2017-10-3
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

RHP ... fine ... but do you NOT read peoples posts ?

The guy has a fault with his controller and until that is fixed - my advice and I think many will agree - Do NOT update.

Get the gear fixed FIRST.

Nigel
2017-10-4
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

quadpilot Posted at 2017-9-29 12:27
I don't think they do auto discharge
i also wonder if the battery in it is left for more than a week charged to 90%
if it causes swelling and cell damage to the battery

Controller batteries are lithium-ion, NOT lithium-polymer.  Treat it the same as you would your phone.

Edit:  Sorry, I hit the wrong forum.  My comment is about the Mavic controller battery, not the Phantom.  According to what I just found, the Phantom is indeed a LiPo.  Sorry about the distraction.

2017-10-5
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

Lithium Ion and Lithium Polymer use same electrolyte / chemistry .... the polymer part is the separation and medium carrier of the cells.

LiIon and LiPo in fact share same character.

Nigel
2017-10-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules