From 1 Oktober 2017: knowledge proof in Germany
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chatikib
lvl.4
Flight distance : 627979 ft
Netherlands

From 1 Oktober 2017 all pilots who want to use a drone with a payload of more than two kilogramm in Germany do need a so called 'knowledge proof'. You need to learn all the basics of safe drone flight – from theoretical knowledge to the safe handling of your remote-controlled aircraft – whether you’re a pilot interested in professional use or an amateur drone enthusiast.
2017-9-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Sounds good  to me...

Heck, we can't even get the kids today, to open a book, let alone RTFM!!
Unless it's video game instructions, then they are all over it... Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-9-30
Use props
GermanPilot
New

Germany

Yes, this is the so called   "German Drohnenfuehrerschein"

Couple information about this new regulation:

Background Knowledge Drones & Law in Germany/Europe: The Drone-Driving Licence

For many years, amateur pilots regarded it as their personal right to fly their multi-copter without any rules. However, after accidents were seen and drones were flown by some pilots even in critical areas, such as no-fly zones around airports or over crowds of people, the legislator intervened: New stricter laws should now guarantee the safety of airspace in Germany and protect people from unmanned aerial objects.  

But it soon became clear that the number of accidents associated with drones and quadrocopters could not be reduced in the long term with no-fly zones and weight restrictions alone. Many of these accidents are due to ignorance or recklessness on the part of the pilots. For this reason, many UAV pilots now have to undergo further training and instruction in the rapidly evolving UAV technology.

At the end there is a questionnaire in which the pilots have to prove their technical understanding and their legal knowledge. Only those who can prove their know-how receive the official licence to fly their multicopter in Germany.

Since autumn 2017 the German drone licence has been mandatory
Even in the Federal Ministry of Transportation, the drone driving licence was a hotly debated topic for a long time. Since autumn 2017, however, the regulation has been clear and unambiguous: anyone who wants to fly a quadrocopter must be able to prove that they are familiar with the flying object. If the person concerned is unable to do so, severe fines may be imposed.

Questions about the drone license that drone pilots keep asking themselves are:

Which exact knowledge must be proven?
Who's gonna issue the drone license?
What costs and effort are involved in obtaining the corresponding proof?

The proof of knowledge for operating drones is certified and issued by official agencies which are certified by the German Federal Office of Civil Aviation. Currently there are about 25 official agencies that can be contacted with regard to proof of knowledge for driving drones. However, as other bodies, such as official flight schools, are currently undergoing the certification process for issuing evidence of knowledge, the number of instances and contact points is likely to increase significantly in the future.

What do drones pilots have to prove for the proof of knowledge?
Applicants for a drone licence or official proof of knowledge for driving drones and quadrocopters are requested to answer selected examination questions. These are examination questions from the fields of aeronautical navigation, meteorology and of course air law.

What many drone pilots or those who would like to become one in the future often do not know, for example, is the fact that aviation liability insurance or at least adequate private liability is obligatory for every drone pilot. Anyone who does not have drones liability insurance is liable to prosecution and risks entering precarious financial situations in the event of damage.

Thanks to special providers for multi-copter liability policies, which offer aviation liability insurance for drones from a price of less than EUR 70 per year and private liability insurance with drone inclusion from currently EUR 32.76 per year, the conclusion of an adequate drone insurance today is not only easy and fast, but also very inexpensive.

For all those who do not yet have a drone licence and are afraid of too much effort, the all-clear can be given: Today, it is already possible to answer the examination questions orally or online. The time required to learn the theory can be spent in a few hours. If you are a member of an air sports club, you can have the introduction to the relevant topics confirmed by the association if necessary. However, the instruction is only valid for aircraft models.

As a drone pilot do I always need a drone licence?
Drones are available in almost all formats today. The smallest of them count as toys and do not fall under the new drone regulation. Proof of knowledge for flying the toy drones is of course not necessary. The new drone regulation has clearly stipulated that only pilots of quadrocopters must have a drone licence or proof of knowledge of which flying objects with a take-off weight of 2 kilograms or more want to fly.

But anyone who is familiar with the current drone models will certainly know: Almost all top-class models of the leading drone manufacturers exceed this weight limit by far: Both the DJI Inspire 1 & 2 and Phantom 3 & 4 are significantly heavier than 2 kg in all variants.

The official proof of knowledge for driving drones can be acquired from the age of 16 years. The certificate for flying model aircraft can even be issued to 14-year-old pilots.

What other guidelines are worth knowing and observing?
In addition to the regulations regarding the required proof of knowledge, pilots must know that drones exceeding a take-off weight of 5 kilograms additionally require an official boarding permit. This is the responsibility of the federal states and the relevant aviation authorities. Regardless of the legal requirements for proof of knowledge, the current UAV ordinance stipulates that all drones weighing 250 grams or more must be subject to mandatory labelling and must be equipped with fire-proof stickers on which the owner is identified. More information about German drones badges can be found here.

2018-5-12
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

I wonder if these regulations also apply to visiting pilots from other countries?
2018-5-13
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

GermanPilot Posted at 2018-5-12 23:54
Yes, this is the so called   "German Drohnenfuehrerschein"

"Phantom 3 & 4 are significantly heavier than 2 kg in all variants."

Nope, fresh from specs, "Weight (Battery & Propellers Included)        1388 g"!

I like the idea of taking a test and get certified for flying, the problem is, if introduced like in Denmark that there is a lack of making it possible for experienced pilots to take the tests without paying a fortune taking a course at an approved "drone school.
In Denmark the expenses taking a professional certificate is about the same as taking a drivers license, ~ 1500€(+) and is needed for flying within what is termed "built-up areas", even if the purpose is just taking a shot of your own roof from above.
2018-5-13
Use props
Spacer2711
lvl.4

I did the online course and after an exam I got the 'German Drohne Fuehrerschein'. Lufthansa offers a good online course. It is a good idea for every pilot to have some theoretical information, such as knowledge about airspace and safety.
2018-5-14
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

GermanPilot Posted at 2018-5-12 23:54
Yes, this is the so called   "German Drohnenfuehrerschein"

This is obviously an advertisement posting - with a serious flaw KedDK already pointed out.
That is interesting:
Thanks to special providers for multi-copter liability policies, which offer aviation liability insurance for drones from a price of less than EUR 70 per year

Because I have that insurance and I'm charged € 159 per year.
I'll call you guys tomorrow!

2018-5-14
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
  • >>>

embayweather Posted at 2018-5-13 04:05
I wonder if these regulations also apply to visiting pilots from other countries?

Everyone on German ground has to follow German laws.
It's the same in every country in this world. You don't take your countries laws with you when you are travelling.
When I visit the UK I can't speed on the motorway like I'm used to on the Autobahn.
Or - yes I can - but I shouldn't ;-)
2018-5-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

embayweather Posted at 2018-5-13 04:05

But if this holds true then no cause Phantoms are a wee but less than the weight limit

As a drone pilot do I always need a drone licence?
Drones are available in almost all formats today. The smallest of them count as toys and do not fall under the new drone regulation. Proof of knowledge for flying the toy drones is of course not necessary. The new drone regulation has clearly stipulated that only pilots of quadrocopters must have a drone licence or proof of knowledge of which flying objects with a take-off weight of 2 kilograms or more want to fly.
2018-5-14
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Eric13 Posted at 2018-5-14 13:09
Everyone on German ground has to follow German laws.
It's the same in every country in this world. You don't take your countries laws with you when you are travelling.
When I visit the UK I can't speed on the motorway like I'm used to on the Autobahn.

I can drive on the German roads with my Danish drivers license but need to follow the German rules, the question is can i fly my Phantom in German Airspace with my Danish drone certificate?

I guess not, like nothing in the Danish rules mention anything of foreign certificates can be used in Denmark. Think this is one result of all that crazy rules our governments are getting too busy to decide at the moment!
2018-5-14
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

KedDK Posted at 2018-5-14 22:49
I can drive on the German roads with my Danish drivers license but need to follow the German rules, the question is can i fly my Phantom in German Airspace with my Danish drone certificate?

I guess not, like nothing in the Danish rules mention anything of foreign certificates can be used in Denmark. Think this is one result of all that crazy rules our governments are getting too busy to decide at the moment!

I could not agree more with you there.
2018-5-17
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
  • >>>

KedDK Posted at 2018-5-14 22:49
I can drive on the German roads with my Danish drivers license but need to follow the German rules, the question is can i fly my Phantom in German Airspace with my Danish drone certificate?

I guess not, like nothing in the Danish rules mention anything of foreign certificates can be used in Denmark. Think this is one result of all that crazy rules our governments are getting too busy to decide at the moment!

For the Phantom you don't need a license in Germany since it is below 2kg.

But your question is interesting regarding acceptance of foreign drone operator licenses.
I doubt that it is possible currently anywhere. That would probably require an international ruling body like ICAO or IATA.
And globilization of standards, training etc.

That's why drone companies (at least the ones I know) only offer their services in their own country.
2018-5-17
Use props
Spacer2711
lvl.4

It is expected that European rules will soon apply to all member states of the EU:

In accordance with the proposed new Basic Regulation, for which a political agreement between the Council, the European Commission and the European Parliament was reached on 22 December 2017, the competence of the EU has been extended to cover the regulation of all civil unmanned aircraft systems (UAS), regardless of their maximum take-off masses (MTOMs). The objective of this Opinion is to create a new regulatory framework that defines measures to mitigate the risk of operations in the:

• ‘open’ category, through a combination of limitations, operational rules, requirements for the competency of the remote pilot, as well as technical requirements for UAS, such that the UAS operator may conduct the operation without prior authorisation by the competent authority, or without submitting a declaration; an
  • ‘specific’ category, through a system that includes a risk assessment being conducted by the UAS operator before starting an operation, or an operator complying with a standard scenario, or an operator holding a certificate with privileges.

See for more information: Unmanned aircraft system (UAS) operations in the ‘open’ and ‘specific’ categories
2018-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules