2017 10 2017-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hyprfrco
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10148 ft
Chile

Mavic Pro Propeller Cage Firmware Failure

This is an alert for Mavic Pro (MP) owners, to not purchase the DJI Propeller Cage.

DJI do not stop dissapointing me in every possible senses and directions.
Yesterday by morning (2017-09-29), having a normal almost absent wind of less than 1km/h, I moved from my Previous Setup onto the New Setup:

PREVIOUS SETUP
  • DJI Mavic Pro (2017-05-23),
  • DJI Mavic Pro Firmware v01.03.1000 (2017-09-01), (2017-09-01 Installed),
  • Aeriatek Propeller Guards for Mavic Pro,
  • DJI Go 4, v4.1.8,
  • Samsung Galaxy S7.

Having performed some flights at fixed positions for measurement photography with the Previous Setup, I had no issues (2017-09-01).

- Previously, when using the Aeriatek Propeller Guards, with the MC Settings>Advanced Settings> Enclosed Propeller Guards unchecked, i never had an issue. Flying a little dumb, though not so perceptible, obviously because the added mass, but no issue at all. Full control. No complaints.

NEW SETUP
  • DJI Mavic Pro (2017-05-23),
  • DJI Mavic Pro Firmware v01.04.0000 (2017-09-19), (2017-09-27 installed),
  • DJI Propeller Cage for Mavic Pro,
  • FStop Labs Shade Gimbal Cover for Mavic Pro,
  • DJI Go 4, v4.1.9 (2017-08-31),
  • Samsung Galaxy S7.

After that, with the New Setup i had the following BUG CRASHES in my last flight (2017-09-29):

• In mid-air, the MP started to (yaw) rotate in multiple instants, at 1 spin/sec aprox. At first i believed i mismoved the controller sticks. After some minutes i realized the issue repeated.
  • I though it was some sort of mechanical contact between the Propellers and the Cage, inducing some delay in the spin and causing the overall yaw. But the Propellers Cage Set was just out from the box, and after the flight there were no mechanical irregularity at all.
  • I reproduced the error by flying the MP at floor level. This time the MP landed while spinning.
  • In mid-air, the DJI Go 4 app, crashes. This never happened with the previous version. After landing the drone, the video was still refreshing from its mid-air shots, with a delay of about 10 seconds.

As its own decision, dancing with itself hilariously. Also in mid-air several times. Do you know how to control a spinning drone which is far from you? Yes. Do it in the simulator with one control fixed at the yaw rotation, and you will see the beauty of the randomness.  
I understood the Propeller Cages 180g added mass compared with the 743g with gimbal cover MP total mass, could induce some changes in the dynamics: own turbulence with the same cage walls, slight angle deviations, an additional dumping in the control, while doing changes of directions or under wind perturbances, but introduce random rotations of several TURNS? NO, IMPOSSIBLE.

QUESTION
My question is WHICH WAS THE FAULT?!

WHAT TO DO
What i need now is your instructions|comments|suggestions|recomendations on the following decisions to take on the hardware|software:

• Propeller Cages: Destroy them?, Sell them?, Cutting them on the edges for reducing inner turbulence and reduce mass?, Going back to the AeriaTEK Propeller Guards?,
  • Firmware: Staying update at DJI imminent peril?, Go into Factory Setting?, Rolling back?,
  • DJI GO 4 App.  Download it again? Force the installation of an older version? Drop it to the hell and use an alternative app?, Reduce the Image Transmission Settings into Bandwidth Allocation: 10MHz and Image Transmission Mode: HD Mode for not having a 10 sec delay?
  • Change Phone?. NO, i already came from an iPhone 5 (yes! unsupported!) into a Samsung Galaxy 7, just to realize, yes, also unsupported!.

LOGS
Now i will read the tutorials to retrieve the logs and show you the IMU sensors from the last experience, in particular the last one when the MP started to rotate as crazy.
I have all the logs in the phone, but i actually don't know how to get the compass and accelerometer data, for publishing it here.
The PC DJI Assistant 2 app, do not read nor show the logs (thanks DJI, again).

ps. So i would like to compare the IMU data of sensors between both of my setups, for deciding using this drone is a COMPLETE RUSSIAN ROULETTE or WHATEVER OTHER PERIL to find out and discover!.

hyprfrco
2017-9-30
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Would seriously have rolled back to previous good version of the FW - Previous setup as per post. Any reason why you have the prop cages on or just being super protective..??
2017-9-30
Use props
hyprfrco
lvl.2
Chile

CoreyB10 Posted at 2017-9-30 22:02
Would seriously have rolled back to previous good version of the FW - Previous setup as per post. Any reason why you have the prop cages on or just being super protective..??

Yeah... i though the Propeller Cage would do its job, but as it seems, it do not. It only gives more chances for failure.
2017-10-1
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hyprfrco Posted at 2017-10-1 07:46
Yeah... i though the Propeller Cage would do its job, but as it seems, it do not. It only gives more chances for failure.

I can see why they include them and why they are good for starter pilots. Personally, I have never used them on any of my DJI craft. With the time it's taking DJI to post my noise reduction props - immediately after I got the mail stating they were back in stock - it may be an idea to safe guard the new ones, taking into consideration the shipping times. yes I know the market is full of non-DJI props but gotta stay with official on a drone costing as much as it does.
2017-10-2
Use props
hyprfrco
lvl.2
Chile

CoreyB10 Posted at 2017-10-2 03:34
I can see why they include them and why they are good for starter pilots. Personally, I have never used them on any of my DJI craft. With the time it's taking DJI to post my noise reduction props - immediately after I got the mail stating they were back in stock - it may be an idea to safe guard the new ones, taking into consideration the shipping times. yes I know the market is full of non-DJI props but gotta stay with official on a drone costing as much as it does.

ummm.. Note that all the Propellers and the Propeller Cage Set in all my setups are DJI official. The DJI Propeller Cage Set make the MP to rotate without any known reason, yet.

Today (2017-10-02) i went back to the Previous Setup with the AeriaTek Propeller Guards, (yes, unofficial, only because this was the only available at the DJI dealer in here) with the update firmware, updated app, and with the option Enclosed Propeller off, with no issues at all.
2017-10-2
Use props
hyprfrco
lvl.2
Chile

CoreyB10 Posted at 2017-10-2 03:34

Noise Reduction Propellers...?.... Ummm that is interesting. Do you have the link for them?.

I am using the drone for inspection, that is the reason why i am using guards, why i purchased the cage set, and why i am so concerned with the movement.

For me, actually the noise is a feedback of how much effort is making the drone in keeping the absolute position fixed. With the slightest wind, the noise increases immediately, with the drone keeping its location. So yes, i will probably stick to the standard propellers.
2017-10-2
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

Require to used together with Mavic - 7728 Quick-release Folding Propellers.

Tips
This cage is not compatible with standard Mavic propellers. (Model: 8330), please use it together with Mavic - 7728 Quick-release Folding Propellers
2017-10-2
Use props
hyprfrco
lvl.2
Chile

HWCM Posted at 2017-10-2 23:29
Require to used together with Mavic - 7728 Quick-release Folding Propellers.

Tips

Dear HWCM,

This is obvious. The Standard Propellers simply dont fit into the Propeller Cage, and the Propeller Cage Set already include them.

What i am asking is why the propeller set make the mavic pro rotate itself without control. No, my mavic pro have never crash.
2017-10-3
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hyprfrco Posted at 2017-10-2 13:43
ummm.. Note that all the Propellers and the Propeller Cage Set in all my setups are DJI official. The DJI Propeller Cage Set make the MP to rotate without any known reason, yet.

Today (2017-10-02) i went back to the Previous Setup with the AeriaTek Propeller Guards, (yes, unofficial, only because this was the only available at the DJI dealer in here) with the update firmware, updated app, and with the option Enclosed Propeller off, with no issues at all.

So reading this, I take it you are back to flying as it should..?? If the rollback - previous has worked then good job. In regards to the link, just go to DJI.com and they are under the Mavic Platinum. Hard to get at the moment as they are a new item so patience is the key. I ordered mine as a result of the back in stock mail I got last week - still not shipped yet as 1st come 1st served.
2017-10-3
Use props
fansa5c25139
New
Flight distance : 14029 ft
United States

I just received my new prop cages from DJI and am experiencing the same problem.  Hopefully DJI will release a bug-fix for this issue soon?!?
2017-10-8
Use props
hyprfrco
lvl.2
Chile

fansa5c25139 Posted at 2017-10-8 06:43
I just received my new prop cages from DJI and am experiencing the same problem.  Hopefully DJI will release a bug-fix for this issue soon?!?

DO you know how to control a drone rolling in middle air?? Good luck with that!!!
I was unable to revert to the previous firmware version. I would suggest you to use the Propeller Guards instead of the Propeller Cages.

If a bug fix is released, some DJI representative will write into here.
I guess.
And as things run DJI style, they perhaps would release a fix only to the Mavic Pro Platinum version, LOL.
2017-10-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules