Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Goggle limitations!?
3033 25 2017-10-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MJLSTUDIOS
First Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

I got my goggles a fews days ago and I am limited to 30m in any direction! The only way to be able to fly farther is to first connect my tablet and start everything, remove the tablet and then connect the goggles to fly past the 30m mark. I don't want to have to go through this procedure every time and I know there must be a fix for this!

UPDATE: I wanted to see if DJI Support could give me a clear and concise  answer, so I called them. 20 years of working in the weapons of mass  destruction field while serving in the USAF I demanded clear and concise  answers. There is NOTHING CLEAR and CONCISE about DJI Support. Now I  ask on of the DJI representive that can inform me on whether I need to  first connect my mobile devise with the GO 4 app to unlock the DJI 30m  flight limitation, or, is there a fix for this 30m flight limitation.  Thanks

2017-10-1
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

One way that might makes things easier would be an HDMI module on controller (I'm in same position as you with my P4). The Mavic was designed with the goggles in mind (or vice-versa :- ) ). But as far as I'm aware it also needs DJI Go 4 talking to the controller to remove these limits (but I could be wrong, not tested yet). I would hope that they would be able to remove the goggles dependency on the App' at some point in the future, as the goggles are tied to your account through activation.
2017-10-1
Use props
Irate Retro
Second Officer
United States

I doubt we will ever see a "fix" because DJI did this intentionally.  Yes, the Goggles may be tied to your account, but the Goggles do not have an internet connection running on a tablet that starts DJI Go at will even when you're not flying.  You can read between the lines there.

The fix is to downgrade the firmware on your Phantom to a version before the intentional restrictions were put in place, and use the HDMI module for the video feed.  Problem solved.  Same solution on the Mavic, but no HDMI cable to fuss with there.
2017-10-1
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-1 07:31
I doubt we will ever see a "fix" because DJI did this intentionally.  Yes, the Goggles may be tied to your account, but the Goggles do not have an internet connection running on a tablet that starts DJI Go at will even when you're not flying.  You can read between the lines there.

The fix is to downgrade the firmware on your Phantom to a version before the intentional restrictions were put in place, and use the HDMI module for the video feed.  Problem solved.  Same solution on the Mavic, but no HDMI cable to fuss with there.

Agreed
DJI has taken the same great technology that allows these devices to work and turned it against the owner while solidifying DJI's control over their product.  The little problem with all of this is somehow DJI thinks it still owns your UAV, while you think you do.  At best, it is both of you.  You get to buy it and fly it when you wish, but DJI gets to say how you get to fly it and where.  
Don't like it, well you can either void the warranty and cut the cord or just risk losing your bird due to control factors.  Either way, DJI wins, they get the money...
2017-10-1
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.4

United States

thanks for the warning.  I won't purchase them then.
2017-10-1
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
United States

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2017-10-1 12:06
thanks for the warning.  I won't purchase them then.

Cap,
While I wont even pretend to tell you what to do...I have the goggles and I have had no problem with them whatsoever.  They work as advertised and the pic is very good, and I enjoy them a lot.
That said, other than the DJIisms, I only wish they could do as much as they do for the mavic and can't see why not.  Possibly cause they are challenged SW/FW/programing wise.
I do recommend them, but you have many choices, other than these too.
2017-10-1
Use props
Mobilcams
First Officer
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

Have the goggles been updated?
2017-10-1
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-10-1 14:04

The latest firmware seems to run in sequence with the Mavic, latest Goggles version is 1.4.0000

2017-10-1
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-1 07:31

If they want to keep an audit of where I fly then they can store the data on  the aircraft when I use the Goggles. Next time I'm connected to Display device or Assistant 2 it could upload the data to whichever government server needs the information. So I think there might be scope for them to remove the limitation on the Goggles, or perhaps their other devices, maybe they're just using the easiest solution at present. I have no qualms at all about any data they may gather, certainly no more than I might have for any other application or device I run.
2017-10-1
Use props
Dockater
First Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

Aardvark Posted at 2017-10-1 06:07
One way that might makes things easier would be an HDMI module on controller (I'm in same position as you with my P4). The Mavic was designed with the goggles in mind (or vice-versa :- ) ). But as far as I'm aware it also needs DJI Go 4 talking to the controller to remove these limits (but I could be wrong, not tested yet). I would hope that they would be able to remove the goggles dependency on the App' at some point in the future, as the goggles are tied to your account through activation.

Ah, the goggles - flying with goggles improves the experience factor enormously, this is also true for others. Standing around watching a small black dot disappearing in the distance is pretty boring, and may even provide potential grounds for divorce in some cases. But lets not dwell on that and examine what we really need.

Amongst others I fly a Phantom 4 pro and use an iPad as my primary control monitor, at least to set up everything, do the checks and get going. It is nice then to slip on the goggles and go flying. The dji goggles are real easy to wear and tilt down or up without problem, even when wearing glasses., this is not true of most other goggles where you need two or even 3 hands to fight with straps, cables etc. and the last thing you want to do is start rearranging the controller cables during flight. So how do you get them to work parallel with the ipad (or primary control system). I invested in a HDMI module for the dji controller, if you are going to pay €500+ for the goggles then another 100 is not the world. The module is easy enough to install check out youtube and be nice to the ribbon cable connectors. Plug in the HDMI cable (with a self purchased adapter) and YOU are fully equipped.

There are of course cheaper goggles but thats not the argument here, what we now need are additional goggles/screens for your partner, children, neighbors and maybe the dog too. A video splitter is an option but they require a power source (at least a battery), I personally use the "Litchi" app as control software and mirror further iPhones and iPads or goggles to this via  the "Litchi Vue" app, up to 5 people. In this case goggles that use a mobile phone in them are ideal and very cheap. Even the cardboard version works well.

In this system of course the dji goggles are underused, they are simply used as "high quality" video glasses whereas in reality they are capable of much more, what a waste of unused potential. It really is a shame that a better integration of software and hardware including third party hardware/software is not achieved, but developments take time and are not always technically easy or commercially viable. Maybe someday, and perhaps not so far away we could be asking for real time digital control outputs for a 3 axis movement table.
2017-10-1
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-10-1 14:04

Yes.  P4P, Go4, RC and goggles are running the latest firmware. I love the goggles, hate having to start it all with my tablet then connect the goggles!
2017-10-2
Use props
Floreto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3591102 ft
United States

I had my goggles for about 3 weeks before I returned them, they never worked with the P4P+ controller and you can't use them for anything other than recreational flying.  
2017-10-2
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

UPDATE: I wanted to see if DJI Support could give me a clear and concise answer, so I called them. 20 years of working in the weapons of mass destruction field while serving in the USAF I demanded clear and concise answers. There is NOTHING CLEAR and CONCISE about DJI Support. Now I ask on of the DJI monit
2017-10-2
Use props
blazz
New
Flight distance : 5066 ft
United States

Does BT300 glasses work with phantom 4 pro+ ?
2017-11-3
Use props
Kent L
lvl.1
United States

I just purchased the DJI Goggles.  I am really disappointed in them.  I can't see the full screen, the top of the image is cut off.  I wasted $450 + on goggles that are useless!  I wouldn't recommend the goggles to anyone!
2017-11-7
Use props
davawt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4885 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think to use the DJI Goggles to there best you need a HDMI out put, I fitted the extra part from DJI and all works with out restrictions ( P4P) , I can use the Spark with out any other adaptions as the Spark and Mavic where I think to work with the Goggles , I also have a Inspire 1.v2 and the Goggles are great for that, you can have your second controller using Goggles to do all Camera work from there RC. Great bit of Kit....
I would say try the HDMI adapter module and see the difference,
bye
davawt
PS, the Spark setup is link the iPad via WiFi and the Goggles via the OTG cable and USB at the Goggles....
2017-11-14
Use props
davawt
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Floreto Posted at 2017-10-2 05:58
I had my goggles for about 3 weeks before I returned them, they never worked with the P4P+ controller and you can't use them for anything other than recreational flying.

Did you try the HD area in the app, to see if it was set for out put correctly, you need to roll the page down to see all options, give that a try if you have not already returned them,
bye
davawt
2017-11-14
Use props
davawt
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kent L Posted at 2017-11-7 07:28
I just purchased the DJI Goggles.  I am really disappointed in them.  I can't see the full screen, the top of the image is cut off.  I wasted $450 + on goggles that are useless!  I wouldn't recommend the goggles to anyone!

Hi there, take a look in the tools section on the Goggles and the HDMI options area in the App,
Hope that helps,
bye
davawt
2017-11-14
Use props
davawt
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dockater Posted at 2017-10-1 16:43
Ah, the goggles - flying with goggles improves the experience factor enormously, this is also true for others. Standing around watching a small black dot disappearing in the distance is pretty boring, and may even provide potential grounds for divorce in some cases. But lets not dwell on that and examine what we really need.

Amongst others I fly a Phantom 4 pro and use an iPad as my primary control monitor, at least to set up everything, do the checks and get going. It is nice then to slip on the goggles and go flying. The dji goggles are real easy to wear and tilt down or up without problem, even when wearing glasses., this is not true of most other goggles where you need two or even 3 hands to fight with straps, cables etc. and the last thing you want to do is start rearranging the controller cables during flight. So how do you get them to work parallel with the ipad (or primary control system). I invested in a HDMI module for the dji controller, if you are going to pay €500+ for the goggles then another 100 is not the world. The module is easy enough to install check out youtube and be nice to the ribbon cable connectors. Plug in the HDMI cable (with a self purchased adapter) and YOU are fully equipped.

Yes I agree, there are a lot of options to be considered when using the Goggles and as for the future well we are always waiting for the next thing to do or try, I have found them very useful but some of the options are hidden and can stop people from trying these Goggles out to there best,
bye
davawt
2017-11-14
Use props
peorge9566
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19547 ft
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-1 08:38
Agreed
DJI has taken the same great technology that allows these devices to work and turned it against the owner while solidifying DJI's control over their product.  The little problem with all of this is somehow DJI thinks it still owns your UAV, while you think you do.  At best, it is both of you.  You get to buy it and fly it when you wish, but DJI gets to say how you get to fly it and where.  
Don't like it, well you can either void the warranty and cut the cord or just risk losing your bird due to control factors.  Either way, DJI wins, they get the money...

No different than the iPhone or any other piece of electronic gear.
2017-11-25
Use props
peorge9566
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19547 ft
United States

Are they goggles from a bundle or from dji that cost $499? I don't own any but have wondered that myself,
2017-11-25
Use props
Privateer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 117493 ft
United States

I bought a pair of goggles after having issues with my iPad dropping out the video after the last update. Trying for a nice continuous shot moving along without having any jerky movements and the frustration of the iPad was getting to me. I don't have the HDMI module for my P4P so I have to get started with the iPad, I then come to a hover about 50' then unplug the iPad and plug in the goggles while my spotter keeps an eye on things. I also have a Inspire Pro and use the HDMI connection for that one. I would like to get the HDMI adapter for the RC for the Phantom, as it was fun to use the head tracking feature and stuff, however for business I just want the better view so don't need to gimmicky stuff.
Hope that helps
2017-11-25
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
United States

peorge9566 Posted at 2017-11-25 17:52
No different than the iPhone or any other piece of electronic gear.

So, Apple tells you what stores you can go in and how you are to get there.
Does your stereo tell you what DVDs or music you can listen to and how loud.
So, it is OK for Toyota and GM to tell you where to drive your car and how.
I don't think so, and I don't see on what planet any of that is happening to the extent that DJI has restricted the use of their products to the point that rightful owners don't have a say or a way to use their property to the full extent of their design capability (lawfully of course).
However...each is entitled to their opinion...
2017-11-27
Use props
Dmitry495
lvl.4
Flight distance : 791194 ft
Russia

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2017-10-2 06:31
UPDATE: I wanted to see if DJI Support could give me a clear and concise answer, so I called them. 20 years of working in the weapons of mass destruction field while serving in the USAF I demanded clear and concise answers. There is NOTHING CLEAR and CONCISE about DJI Support. Now I ask on of the DJI monit

I just bought Goggles a few days ago and haven't tried them yet with my P4P. However, reading the manual, I think you can connect RC to iPad using USB cable (as you normally do) and connect Goggles to RC via OTG cable using micro USB port on the back of RC. In fact, if you use HDMI cable to connect Goggles, you won't be able to surf with Head Tracking and Intelligent Fight Modes.

Pls let me know if it works
2017-12-6
Use props
Racer38
lvl.1
Flight distance : 204203 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dmitry495 Posted at 2017-12-6 07:08
I just bought Goggles a few days ago and haven't tried them yet with my P4P. However, reading the manual, I think you can connect RC to iPad using USB cable (as you normally do) and connect Goggles to RC via OTG cable using micro USB port on the back of RC. In fact, if you use HDMI cable to connect Goggles, you won't be able to surf with Head Tracking and Intelligent Fight Modes.

Pls let me know if it works

No you cant use the micro usb port for the googles. I just confirmed it with mine. I like the goggles and only hope that DJI makes firmware changes that allow the goggles to link to a phone hotspot or wifi connection so you dont have to start out with using the phone. There also needs to be other uses for the internal sd card on the goggles, right now it has no use except to play a movie, I would love to be able to record the screen on the goggles to the sd card.
2017-12-7
Use props
luciens
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Another workaround might be using HDMI directly from your tablet to mirror to the goggles? I'm in the same spot and I use an iPhone and iPad alternately with mine. I'm going to get an HDMI adapter today to try this. Dodgy workaround to DJI's dodgy firmware, but there isn't much choice. And of course you lose head tracking, etc.... But worth a shot?

LS
2017-12-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules