1686 9 2017-10-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_n2ZXt4i
New
Flight distance : 171942 ft
Germany

Hi

Today I was filming on a local hill and I was testing the POI mode for the first time.
I made sure, no objects where in the way of the drone and started automatic flight.

After 270° the video on the app looked like something "hit" the mavic and the picture was then rotated at about 25° from that point on. I was shocked and did not know exactly what to do and before I could react there was another "hit". At that point I managed to press "PAUSE" and immediately pull the Mavic up 20 m.

I saw the Mavic during the whole flight, but if something really hit the Mavic is was too small or too fast to see it at my distance (a few hundred meters). But I am sure, no object was in the way and no person was anywhere close.

After that immediately started RTH and when I was landed, I inspected the Mavic and everything looked fine. Also by then the rotation of the camera was reset to normal.
I checked the saved preview video on the app and found that it stopped a few seconds after the first hit. That might have been the time of the second hit but I can't say for sure.
It does however show the camera rotation.

At home I looked at the sdcard to see if the Mavic recorded anything I did not see, but strangely the video stopped the very moment the first hit occured.
Coincidentially the video file size reached its maximum (4.089.920.903 bytes) that very moment but different as usual no new video file was started.
I am sure, I did not cancel the video manually.

So my questions:

1. Is there anything I can get from the mavic to find out what actually happend?
2. Is there a conclusive way to analyze why the video stopped?
3. Does the video stop automatically in some "emergency situations"?
4. If such things exist, are such emergency situations logged somewhere?
5. Is it possible that the Mavic got an internal error when trying to write more data to the file and the software caused some short time malfunction?
(Note that the video file reached the maximum size the very moment the "hit" occured.)

I would be glad for any help to figure out what happened.
So far I am very happy with my (first) drone. And I trusted it a lot, flight is absolutely stable. The Mavic behaves as if it was fixed at a wall right in the air. Its stability is way more impressive than what I would have believed from videos.
But if it turns out that the instability arose from something else as an external effect, I need to take that into account and my trust will be limited.
I am really happy no human was around at that flight.

And until I realized the exact file size I was quite sure something had hit my Mavic and that it would not be its fault. The video size however makes me think a lot.

Regards,
  Steffen
2017-10-1
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Show us a clip of the "hit" -- I'm thinking it might be the inflight camera/gimbal controller rebooting that others have reported, but I haven't heard of this happening during a POI flight. The video file size is, perhaps, a clue -- I don't think I've ever exceeded the file size limit on a POI, but I'll look through my library and double-check.
2017-10-1
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Ok, I just found a POI video that spanned the 4GB boundary and looks fine. Go ahead and post that clip for us to analyze. Was it at all windy or gusty that day?
2017-10-1
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

"video on the app looked like something "hit" the mavic and the picture was then rotated at about 25° from that point on. I was shocked and did not know exactly what to do and before I could react there was another "hit"."

Glad there was no crowd below the MP.    Sounds like a bird tried to take it down? Quick explosive dive from the side to take it down.

2017-10-1
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

It would much better if you upload the footage so we can better help you
2017-10-1
Use props
djiuser_n2ZXt4i
New
Flight distance : 171942 ft
Germany

Sorry I did not get to do the upload yesterday evening. However here is the last part of the preview window showing the hit at about the middle of the clip.

https://www.skypixel.com/videos/ ... ;utm_campaign=share
2017-10-1
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

djiuser_n2ZXt4i Posted at 2017-10-1 21:45
Sorry I did not get to do the upload yesterday evening. However here is the last part of the preview window showing the hit at about the middle of the clip.

https://www.skypixel.com/videos/7b4ef492-f6ba-4cbb-9418-e08848606f99?utm_source=url&utm_medium=copied&utm_campaign=share

I tend to think it is caused by a movement in the gimbal rather than the Mavic being hit by something. I have been videoing and had a bird come up underneath and hit the bottom of the Mavic.  The video stayed level as the gimbal kept it straight.
2017-10-1
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

sounded like a gimbal reboot to me..  i had a few gimbal reboots happen, doesn't mean your hardware is defective or broken, its a firmware issue happened in one of the updates and has stuck with us since..

gimbal reboot usually causes disconnection/black screen or it pauses live view then it comes back usually out of focus and rotated.. the file size i encounter this with is 3.88GB, other have reported upwards of 4.2GB, this leads me to believe that the camera is crashing in software once it hits its file size limit it thinks it has.  

its disorienting and it does appear like something has hit your mavic pro, in reality however its probably just a camera/gimbal reboot.   if you have the mindset to stay calm and collected you can usually check to see if that's what happened or not, look at the radar/map and see how your aircraft is pointing.. or check the logs see how it points.. if a bird or anything hit it and shot it to the side or rotated it harshly the direction would change in log and radar unexpectedly and dramatically..
2017-10-1
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

djiuser_n2ZXt4i Posted at 2017-10-1 21:45

https://www.skypixel.com/videos/7b4ef492-f6ba-4cbb-9418-e08848606f99?utm_source=url&utm_medium=copied&utm_campaign=share

Huh, doesn't look to me like a collision, nor does it look like a gimbal controller reboot, which like HereForTheBeer writes takes longer to complete and involves more camera movement or loss of feed. I would expect a collision to shock the gimbal, resulting in some bounce. Looks like a weird, short hiccup in the gimbal controller.  Does the flight log show any warnings?
2017-10-4
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450075 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have to agree with others that suggest this was just the gimbal moving.   Looks similar to what happened with mine a few weeks ago - call it gimbal reboot, gimbal reset, wild gimbal, gimbal freakout, or whatever.

Gimbal Freakout

LP
2017-10-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules