Thinking to purchase a Spark???
949 15 2017-10-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
zxit
New

United States

HI,

My question is, can you fly the spark right out of the box or do you need to update the firmware first?
2017-10-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Best to always make sure you are up to date. Batteries, Firmware from the drone, App and remote.
2017-10-1
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-10-1 10:46
Best to always make sure you are up to date. Batteries, Firmware from the drone, App and remote.

And that's true for every drone, not just the Spark.
2017-10-1
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'd also highly recommend reading the 59 page manual and watch all of the official tutorials too whilst the batteries are charging. Then review the FAA drone codes on their website and plan a safe place to learn to fly in an open area 5 miles away from the nearest airport. You don't buy a car and drive it home without learning to drive first...
2017-10-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Your question answered, yes you do and you may have to update F/W every couple of months, it’s all part and parcel of this hobby, there are many other stuff you will have to learn ACW has explained some of these.
If your looking for an easy hobby this may not be for you, I see many noobies here expecting so much from the get go when it doesn’t happen frustration sets in, and they usually blame false advertising spark just won’t work etc etc.
If you want a great hobby that everyday gets more and more interesting with plenty of challenges then go for spark.
Good luck.
2017-10-1
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oh boy, I can see it coming now!!!!!!!!
2017-10-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_Kf4iPA3 Posted at 2017-10-1 10:51
And that's true for every drone, not just the Spark.

Same for my laptop actually.
2017-10-1
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

1. You definitely have to update everything first that pops up for updating (Firmware for Spark, batteries and RC as well as for No Fly Zones).
2. And you should definitely take the time to read the user manual (best the latest version available on the DJI website).
3. And you should preferably also take some time reading through this forum in order to find useful hints from other users.

The more time you take to well prepare, the more satisfactory your first flight experience will be and you will be grateful for having taken the time!

2017-10-1
Use props
zxit
New

United States

To All... Good to know!

Thanks. Reminds me of my Samsung tv, it would not come on until I updated the firmware. As for the smart batteries, that reminds me of the batteries in Mini Coopers and BMWs.

I can not make up my mind at this time what to do. I'm thinking of getting my son inlaw a great present and I know he will like the spark. I may purchase a Mavic for myself. Who can tell?

There is alot of info here on this forum, so today being my first day on this site and having learned the good-bad and ugly! I know this one thing, I would want to be able to install an older working vertion of the firmware if it worked and the newer does not.

I'm not discouraged easily.

2017-10-1
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

zxit Posted at 2017-10-1 13:53
To All... Good to know!

Thanks. Reminds me of my Samsung tv, it would not come on until I updated the firmware. As for the smart batteries, that reminds me of the batteries in Mini Coopers and BMWs.

You definitely shouldn't be discouraged. The problems you are reading about here did occur indeed, but most of the time these are very individual cases I dare to say and I even dare to say that they are not representative for the largest part of Spark owners. It is a natural feature of all support forums, that first of all problems are being reported and much less the positive experiences. I have my Spark for two full months now and have done at least "some miles" with it. And all without any of the serious problems you can read about here. And I have always immediately updated what ever became available for update.
2017-10-1
Use props
Legacy0ne
lvl.2

Australia

I know this one thing, I would want to be able to install an older working vertion of the firmware if it worked and the newer does not.

You may be disappointed in that area. If it's anything like the last firmware update, it was compulsory and you can't downgrade to the previous version... and you had to upgrade otherwise you couldn't fly!

Do some research and read the manual before you buy. Involve yourself in these forums for information, and see what everyone else is going through with their Spark. It's still a new product and there are bugs, ongoing issues, warranty faults etc that are still being ironed out, so don't feel 'rushed' to go out and buy one. That said there are a majority of happy people out their with no issues
2017-10-1
Use props
stalters
lvl.2
United States

I also recommend buying a small starter drone, and learn to fly with one of those. If you can really fly a smaller drone without GPS and other ease of use functions, a Spark will be so easy to fly.
2017-10-1
Use props
JCStorbeck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16502930 ft
  • >>>
United States

Get prop guards....just in case you bump into something.
2017-10-1
Use props
zxit
New

United States

I like people with a positive attitude. I remember the bios days on my computers and the betas, LoL! But we always could go back to the original.

Thanks for all the replies and I sure will read and read and keep a positive point of view.

Thanks and keep your heads up.
2017-10-1
Use props
JCStorbeck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16502930 ft
  • >>>
United States

To All... Good to know!

The Spark is a great first drone, cheap enough it won't break you and if the fun wears off and droning isn't for him maybe he will give it to you to fly?
2017-10-1
Use props
stalters
lvl.2
United States

To All... Good to know!

I'm still a new user of the DJI Spark, and after reading various issues/posts in the forums here, I've grown a little fearful of wear to fly, when to fly, and how far from myself that I fly.

I have had no issues whatsoever at this point however, and with the firmware updates, I think things have stabilized quite a bit.

I still recommend smaller starter drones, but you can't go wrong with the Spark I feel as a more expensive starter if you can afford it.
2017-10-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules