1191 15 2017-10-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Six6Sics #666
lvl.3
Flight distance : 164236 ft
Australia

Hello all,

Having had my MP for a few months, I had my 2nd near fly off yesterday.

Updated software in the field, did a IMU and compass calibration and began flight.

Flew cautiously with no issue for approx 15mins and then flicked to Sport mode for some speed test/experience in the open field.

I turned my back to chat to someone thinking my MP was hovering at approx. 10mtr when I turn around its slowly rising and now at approx. 30mtr.
Immediately, down stick to lower the MP but nothing is working.
AutoLanding button worked but seemed to disengage when I touched the down stick.

Finally got control of the MP when I flicked Sport Mode off.....

Did I do something wrong ?
Pilot error ?

Can anyone shed light on my situation ?
Im now very concerned that my MP will want to rise/fly off......

2017-10-1
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

1.) Updated software in the field, did a IMU and compass calibration
2.) I turned my back to chat to someone thinking my MP was hovering at approx. 10mtr  
3.) its slowly rising and now at approx. 30mtr.
4.) Immediately, down stick to lower the MP but nothing is working.
5.) AutoLanding button worked but seemed to disengage when I touched the down stick.

1.) App requested the calibrations for both?
2.) Sounds like an error when you turned away from screen; strong gust of wind took it off course.
3.) If your finger wasn't on the stick then that's strange that it'll ascend without your command.
4.) Lowered and it responded to command but nothing working?
5.) Autoland will disengage after I think is like 3-4 ft just before it lands.

Just some observations. I tend to re-boot my RC and AC after any upgrades.
2017-10-1
Use props
Six6Sics #666
lvl.3
Australia

1.) App requested the calibrations for both?  Negative, just habit after an update
2.) Sounds like an error when you turned away from screen; strong gust of wind took it off course. wind was reported at 1m/s, gusts to 2m/s
3.) If your finger wasn't on the stick then that's strange that it'll ascend without your command.  THIS IS MY BIGGEST CONCERN #confidencekiller
4.) Lowered and it responded to command but nothing working?  Let me clarify, prolonged down stick engaged AutoLand, but it was still rising.....
5.) Autoland will disengage after I think is like 3-4 ft just before it lands.  MP was still at approx. 30mtrs height when AutoLand disengaged

I must admit, I did NOT do RC/AC reboot after update, I assumed it did it based on the noises I was hearing from the controller during the process.

2017-10-1
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

"3.) If your finger wasn't on the stick then that's strange that it'll ascend without your command.  THIS IS MY BIGGEST CONCERN #confidencekiller

It never went into atti-mode right? Did the same thing happen after you'd rebooted both or haven't done so?
2017-10-1
Use props
Six6Sics #666
lvl.3
Australia

Hey Sportbike_Pilot

I haven't had a chance to get back in the air since this incident nor the reboot.

AirData app shows my mode as GPS_Atti ( but this is the case with many other incident free flights )

Do you know if there is a "hard reset" function that I can do ?
2017-10-2
Use props
Six6Sics #666
lvl.3
Australia

its seriously worrying that this occurs and then I can read numerous threads on this forum alone about the quirks with recent updates....

Seems like updates are released willy nilly then rectified based on consumer complaint.
2017-10-2
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I replied to you via PM and will look at the DAT file once you upload the one for that flight from your Mavic.
2017-10-2
Use props
Bernoullis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4938 ft
United Kingdom

"I must admit, I did NOT do RC/AC reboot after update, I assumed it did  it based on the noises I was hearing from the controller during the  process."

That might be part of your problem right there?  Both the DJI written instructions and videos clearly indicate that you should restart both the aircraft and remote controller after any firmware update!

2017-10-2
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Six6Sics #666 Posted at 2017-10-1 14:30
1.) App requested the calibrations for both?  Negative, just habit after an update
2.) Sounds like an error when you turned away from screen; strong gust of wind took it off course. wind was reported at 1m/s, gusts to 2m/s
3.) If your finger wasn't on the stick then that's strange that it'll ascend without your command.  THIS IS MY BIGGEST CONCERN  #confidencekiller

The update instructions clearly say to reboot ALL devices after the update.

That said, I had plenty of trouble getting the latest NFZ data to update.  Must have tried 6 times on two devices.  I never got an acceptable indication that it had finally worked, but the app quit nagging me about every time I started it, so it must have worked at some point.  Haven't flown any yet.  We've got crappy WX all week.  Possibly a brief one tomorrow when it isn't supposed to rain.
2017-10-2
Use props
Six6Sics #666
lvl.3
Australia

Bernoullis Posted at 2017-10-2 10:23
"I must admit, I did NOT do RC/AC reboot after update, I assumed it did  it based on the noises I was hearing from the controller during the  process."

That might be part of your problem right there?  Both the DJI written instructions and videos clearly indicate that you should restart both the aircraft and remote controller after any firmware update!

Thank you for your feedback - it seems a few people are on the same wavelength as yourself.
2017-10-2
Use props
Six6Sics #666
lvl.3
Australia

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-10-2 10:30
The update instructions clearly say to reboot ALL devices after the update.

That said, I had plenty of trouble getting the latest NFZ data to update.  Must have tried 6 times on two devices.  I never got an acceptable indication that it had finally worked, but the app quit nagging me about every time I started it, so it must have worked at some point.  Haven't flown any yet.  We've got crappy WX all week.  Possibly a brief one tomorrow when it isn't supposed to rain.

Thank you for your feedback - appreciate it.
2017-10-2
Use props
Asainz320
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you looked at the recorded flight on the app? Take a look at that and turn on the controller inputs to see if the craft was receiving commands from the remote when the incident happened.
2017-10-2
Use props
Six6Sics #666
lvl.3
Australia

Asainz320 Posted at 2017-10-2 13:39
Have you looked at the recorded flight on the app? Take a look at that and turn on the controller inputs to see if the craft was receiving commands from the remote when the incident happened.

I am attempting to get flight data to DroneFlying for analysis.

I am a mere noob.....
2017-10-2
Use props
Asainz320
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

Six6Sics #666 Posted at 2017-10-2 13:50

I am a mere noob.....

Ohh I see lol I will explain better then. If you open your DJI Go app and go to "Me" then "Flight Record" and choose the flight when the issue happened. This will open up the map where you flew for that record. In there you will have a few options. You should see a controller icon, if you click it that will bring up the sticks inputs throughout the flight. See what the sticks were doing at the moment the Mavic was acting up.
2017-10-2
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Six6Sics #666 Posted at 2017-10-2 13:50

I am a mere noob.....

The DAT file you uploaded is what I needed, and although the flight looked slightly different from what was described in the first post the rest of it matched your description of the events and I've PMed you my findings. Good luck.
2017-10-2
Use props
Six6Sics #666
lvl.3
Australia

Thank you DroneFlying
2017-10-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules