Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Received my Low-Noise Propellers from FedEx...
3831 27 2017-10-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CynicalZombie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 179813 ft
United States

...is there anything else I need to do other than put them on?  Is there a setting to tell my Mavic that I'm using the new props?
2017-10-2
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

One of the latest F/W updates was for the MP to fly with the newer props.  Good luck and share your take on the props once you've lifted off.
2017-10-2
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

FYI:

• Firmware: V 01.04.0000
• DJI GO 4 App iOS: V 4.1.10
• DJI GO 4 App Android: V 4.1.10

• Added QuickShot feature (requires DJI GO 4 app v4.1.10 or higher).
• Added Dynamic Home Point for ActiveTrack mode.
Added support for Mavic Pro Platinum firmware and 8331 Low-Noise Quick Release Propellers.
• Adjusted the color in Normal mode to Vivid.
2017-10-2
Use props
CynicalZombie
Second Officer
United States

Thanks for that, I guess there's no setting to change.  I will fly like normal.
2017-10-2
Use props
Celsus
Captain
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

The firmware update enables the Mavic pro to operate with the new propellors. I wonder how and if the firmware affects flying with the standard propellors. Perhaps a DJI moderator can explain in detail how the firmware update makes this possible? I have noticed a slower motor idle speed following with standard props attached following the latest firmware update.     
2017-10-2
Use props
Jinjur
Second Officer
United Kingdom

How on earth can the Mavic know what props are on it?

Is it smart enough to detect from the drag of the props or something?

J
2017-10-2
Use props
Flycaster
Captain
United States

It should fly fine without doing any firmware updating.
Just mount and fly the dang thing!
2017-10-2
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Jinjur Posted at 2017-10-2 10:02
How on earth can the Mavic know what props are on it?

Is it smart enough to detect from the drag of the props or something?

"How on earth can the Mavic know what props are on it?"

had the same question. Higher level of sophisticated technology.
2017-10-2
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Has to be a setting somewhere to tell it that you have them.  That, or it's a total fake job.    Reducing torque is the only way I can see to make it quieter with software.  The new ESC/motor combo should do as much or more to accomplish the goal of being quieter.
2017-10-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-10-2 10:24
Has to be a setting somewhere to tell it that you have them.  That, or it's a total fake job.    Reducing torque is the only way I can see to make it quieter with software.  The new ESC/motor combo should do as much or more to accomplish the goal of being quieter.

Same thoughts here.
2017-10-2
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you can do a video noise comparison that would be great! we are counting on you(no pressure)
2017-10-2
Use props
Asainz320
Captain
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

I dont think software setting changes are really needed. The shape of the prop will determine the lift. The Mavic like any other high end quadcopter has really good gyros letting it know all tiny movements happening on the drone, thats why it is so stable when hovering. If you put the new props it will not do anything different other than spinning the props. When it feels its getting the lift it is expecting according to its sensors it will do whatever it needs to do to keep the aircraft stable and hovering in place. While hovering slightly lift one of the corners and you will see how reactive the drone will be to it. It will instantly decrease the speed of the motor you're holding up and increase the speed of the opposite motor.
If the pitch of the new prop is different and more aggressive then the motors will not need to spin as fast to achieve the same lift as the original props. No changes on the settings should be required. Just like when you put extra weight on any drone, you dont have to change any settings, it will notice that it is not getting the lift it is expecting and will spin the motors faster to compensate for that weight and bring the drone off the ground.
2017-10-2
Use props
djiuser_OS4PqSp
lvl.1

Germany

I have absolutely no inside knowledge, just speculating:
There must be several control algorithms running inside the Mavic to enable it to fly steadily. Speed and torque control, current control and so on. Algorithms like PID-control or more sophisticated stuff.
Assuming the new props have a different torque/speed characteristic, then it would be totally logical to fine tune some of the control parameters.
Maybe that is what the new software update is good for.
2017-10-2
Use props
Bradders
Second Officer
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

I ordered a set of the new props for my Mavic pro (Original) after watching this video:   I then asked DJI to make sure they support them being used on the original Mavic, this is the worrying reply I received "Oh i see yes they are compatible with Mavic Pro Original but as of now we do not recommend it." He said they don't affect warranty, but I am not sure why they don't recommend it ?
2017-10-2
Use props
CynicalZombie
Second Officer
United States

Bradders Posted at 2017-10-2 11:46
I ordered a set of the new props for my Mavic pro (Original) after watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aclEvFOM8go&t=0s.  I then asked DJI to make sure they support them being used on the original Mavic, this is the worrying reply I received "Oh i see yes they are compatible with Mavic Pro Original but as of now we do not recommend it." He said they don't affect warranty, but I am not sure why they don't recommend it ?

When was this?   When did you get that reply?  I'm wondering if it was before the last firmware update which supports the new props.
2017-10-2
Use props
rolling56
Captain
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Flycaster Posted at 2017-10-2 10:10
It should fly fine without doing any firmware updating.
Just mount and fly the dang thing!

yep no guts no glory
2017-10-2
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I ordered a set of the new props for my Mavic pro (Original) after watching this video:   I then asked DJI to make sure they support them being used on the original Mavic, this is the worrying reply I received "Oh i see yes they are compatible with Mavic Pro Original but as of now we do not recommend it." He said they don't affect warranty, but I am not sure why they don't recommend it ?

Maybe when you asked the new firmware that supported the props had yet to be released? And wow, that's quite a difference!
2017-10-2
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

OK, since no one has said it:  the low-noise props delay the speed of sound at the tip (as seen in the pictures).  It does this by angling in the tips (as seen in the pictures) just like helicopters.  Airplane props use Q-tipped props or the equivalent.  This is basic aerodynamics.  
2017-10-2
Use props
larrymull
lvl.4
Flight distance : 468668 ft
Australia

Looking forward to seeing some results in real life. Please post a review when you can.
2017-10-2
Use props
itsjustme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

Pretty sure requirement of a new fw to support new props is a trick from Dji.
2017-10-2
Use props
Pumavic
lvl.4
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-10-2 14:39
Maybe when you asked the new firmware that supported the props had yet to be released? And wow, that's quite a difference!

No, no, no...they will say it's all just a placebo effect lol.... I did some more extensive flying with the new props today and yea, the human ear can tell a difference with the new props. I'm glad I got them. Again, it's a very small improvement, but an improvement nonetheless and I'll take it.  
2017-10-2
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-10-2 14:50
OK, since no one has said it:  the low-noise props delay the speed of sound at the tip (as seen in the pictures).  It does this by angling in the tips (as seen in the pictures) just like helicopters.  Airplane props use Q-tipped props or the equivalent.  This is basic aerodynamics.

If you do the maths, the mavic prop tips nowhere near approach the speed of sound.  At max RPM you're looking at about 160mph (so mach 0.2).
Fairly easy to calculate - we know the diameter and we know the max RPM.
2017-10-4
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
United Kingdom

Pumavic Posted at 2017-10-2 18:03
No, no, no...they will say it's all just a placebo effect lol.... I did some more extensive flying with the new props today and yea, the human ear can tell a difference with the new props. I'm glad I got them. Again, it's a very small improvement, but an improvement nonetheless and I'll take it.

Really?  You did a full controlled (ideally blind) test taking care to minimise all variables and repeated multiple times under controlled conditions to eliminate noise?  Show us the results.

Because confirmation bias and placebo effect are very well defined, known and the biggest cause of failures of any sort of engineering or scientific test.
2017-10-4
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
United Kingdom

I ordered a set of the new props for my Mavic pro (Original) after watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aclEvFOM8go&t=0s.  I then asked DJI to make sure they support them being used on the original Mavic, this is the worrying reply I received "Oh i see yes they are compatible with Mavic Pro Original but as of now we do not recommend it." He said they don't affect warranty, but I am not sure why they don't recommend it ?

Quite probably because without the latest firmware update they won't run as efficiently or could cause errors to be detected by the ESCs.

The ESCs are programmed to expect certain behaviours from certain RPMs regarding response, current drain and so on.  If they dont get that response they can cope to an extent but its inefficient as its also correcting or misadjusting initially.  Worst case scenario it thinks theres a broken prop or motor if it gets too bad.

New props with new weight, new aerodynamic behaviour and performance are going to confuse it.  I would guess the firmware update has given it a new look up table where it can see "If i do this and i get this, this and this its the new props so i need to use these figures instead of these".

Id have been more shocked if there wasn't an update as it would either mean the new props aren't very different or the ESC/Motors are badly optimised for the old props.
2017-10-4
Use props
alex_markov
Captain
Flight distance : 38850850 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Do You steal believe You need FW upgrade for new propellers?
I am waiting for mine yet
2017-10-4
Use props
ShadyDealer
First Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My new props arrived today! They look great on but new puppy at home has meant I didn't have time to fly the Mavic...that and the fact it needed another firmware update! Really wanna try some of the new Flying modes as well. Shame I have about 8 pairs of brand new previous gen props...
2017-10-12
Use props
Tyredecals.com
First Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

itsjustme Posted at 2017-10-2 17:21
Pretty sure requirement of a new fw to support new props is a trick from Dji.

+1...
DJI scare tactic to get everyone to update to fix their loop hole.
I am on 0.400 and the platinum props work fine on my Mavic Pro..I dont the motors know any different.
2017-10-12
Use props
fansce7828fc
First Officer
Flight distance : 639652 ft
Lebanon

alex_markov Posted at 2017-10-4 05:09
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw0AsEOsgZk
Do You steal believe You need FW upgrade for new propellers?
I am waiting for mine yet

omg
2017-10-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules