Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Handcatch
631 15 2017-10-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Charles-Edouard
lvl.2
Flight distance : 105896 ft
Canada

Does the mavic affected when you handcatch it?
2017-10-2
Use props
Nazar78
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5106037 ft
Singapore

If the bottom sensors are active, the Mavic will try to fly upwards after 1-2secs detecting your hand beneath. Most would recommend switching the bottoms sensors off but with a proper method (avoid the sensors), it will not fight back even if you leave the bottom sensors active...
2017-10-2
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

There's been talk about whether sensors will still detect objects or not detect. Some say senors are still on if you switch to (S)sport mode some say it's disabled - DK yet.

Here's what the manual says:

Per manual:

S-mode (Sport) - The aircraft is using GPS for positioning. As Forward and Downward Vision Systems are disabled, the aircraft will not be able to sense and avoid obstacles when in Sport Mode. Ground Station and the Intelligent Flight functions are also not available in Sport Mode.
Note: Aircraft responses are optimized for agility and speed making it more responsive to stick movements.

The Forward Vision System is disabled in S-mode (Sport), which means the aircraft will not be able to automatically avoid obstacles on its route."
2017-10-2
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Just disable "landing protection" in vps settings and it will land soft as a feather it also will not fight you
2017-10-2
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

If you approach carefully from the front (the gimbal side),  it will not fight you. It takes a bit of practice but I have done this hundreds of times.
2017-10-2
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I hand catch my Mavic for a month and it is easier for me and for him avoiding dust and grass - as mentioned before disable landing protection first.
2017-10-2
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I do it occasionally, and don't really take any of the actions described above.  I just know that it will try to pull up and away from me for about 2 seconds.  So, I just hold on, let it pull, and the motors soon shut off.
2017-10-2
Use props
Aaronmke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2155883 ft
United States

I hand catch and launch as well with Landing protection turned of,f just remember that if you want to land back on the ground either turn Landing protection back on or remember that you have it turned off or you could be in for a rough Landing as it won't  land softly on its own. I bounced mine off of the deck the other day because I had my Landing protection turned off and I went to land on the ground as you would think you're normally would and it doesn't just stop and slow down before it gets to the ground and then softly lands ,you have complete control with the throttle .
2017-10-2
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-10-2 17:56
I do it occasionally, and don't really take any of the actions described above.  I just know that it will try to pull up and away from me for about 2 seconds.  So, I just hold on, let it pull, and the motors soon shut off.

" just know that it will try to pull up and away from me for about 2 seconds."

Yeah I did this too and it forcefully ascended but luckily with the left stick down it shut off. Wasn't easy either. Think I'll test out that 'LP' mode to see what happens.
2017-10-3
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aaronmke Posted at 2017-10-2 18:26
I hand catch and launch as well with Landing protection turned of,f just remember that if you want to land back on the ground either turn Landing protection back on or remember that you have it turned off or you could be in for a rough Landing as it won't  land softly on its own. I bounced mine off of the deck the other day because I had my Landing protection turned off and I went to land on the ground as you would think you're normally would and it doesn't just stop and slow down before it gets to the ground and then softly lands ,you have complete control with the throttle .

"turn Landing protection back on or remember that you have it turned off or you could be in for a rough Landing"

I'll just have to remember to turn it back on after use which will be another thing for my to-do list.
2017-10-3
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

If you manually want to fly the mavic pro and also hand catch with ease which I tend to do because there's a lot of Dusty places around and grass that touches gimbal....then turning back on landing protection doesn't really help and if you just gently ease it down it lands very soft actually softer than Landing protection on! So I don't get how you would be in for a rough Landing maybe if you were totally new???
2017-10-3
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

Aaronmke you have to practice more buddy because I can get it to Land super soft with Landing protection off I don't understand the problem that you're having it should definitely Land softer because you have control!
2017-10-3
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

Not the most advised way of landing your aircraft as you always risk personal injury. If you are going to handcatch your aircraft, why not consider a prop cage? http://store.dji.com/product/mavic-propeller-cage
2017-10-3
Use props
Nazar78
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5106037 ft
Singapore

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-10-3 07:39
Aaronmke you have to practice more buddy because I can get it to Land super soft with Landing protection off I don't understand the problem that you're having it should definitely Land softer because you have control!

I agree, it lands much softer manually with proper control. Even using the auto land leaves scratches on the rear rubber feet. Hence I left the landing protection on and hand catch every time unless I land on short grass.

Hand catch is super easy that you can keep holding onto the Mavic without it fighting to fly up due to the active landing protection. Push the Mavic up the motors slows down (this is where you get the chance to tilt the Mavic which will switch off the motors, though it's not recommended), pull it down the motors spins faster trying to compensate the altitude. Just avoid the sensor area when you reach with your hand then throttle cut with the other (hold throttle stick down).
2017-10-3
Use props
Charles-Edouard
lvl.2
Flight distance : 105896 ft
Canada

Ok Thanks for the Advise. I will probably think of a propeller cage just in case! Peace
2017-10-3
Use props
Aaronmke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2155883 ft
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-10-3 07:39

Yeah you're right , Landing isn't hard and can be very gentle using the controls I just forgot that I had Landing protection off didn't hit the deck that hard though but it'll keep me on my toes for next time
2017-10-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules