Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
[POLL] What Remote Controller Mode Do You Use?
12Next >
564 56 2017-10-2 10:51:29
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

The P4P RC comes with Mode 2 control stick configuration as the default.  However, there is also Modes 1 & 3 and Custom that can be used, according to the P4P Manual v1.2.  While Mode 2 is the one most likely used, as a stick & rudder kind of aviator I find the right stick a bit confusing for me at times, as it controls fore & aft and left & right (what I'll call sideslip), where I think of it as up & down and turning left & right.  If I understand helos the control stick works left & right and fore & aft and the collective works up & down while the rudder pedals control yaw.  So pulling a page from both helos and fixed wing I was considering customizing my sticks to be - left stick works: up & down and left/right sideslip, right stick works: fore & aft and turn left & right; which is like neither fixed or helos but closer for my brain, I think.  While all of this can be very confusing, especially when learning, one can learn these modes but it does take time.
P4P RC Sick Modes.jpg
Survey Question: Which RC Stick Mode Do You Use (Using Custom, Post Below What It Is)?
Single SelectVote, Total 81 people participate in voting

Distance end of: 163 Day15 Hour22 Min

Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-10-2 10:51:29
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 393502
United States

Mode 2 is what's used the most to learn, so why not stay with it?  Best "panic" mode, since it's already finger memorized.
2017-10-2 10:56:16
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-10-2 10:56
Mode 2 is what's used the most to learn, so why not stay with it?  Best "panic" mode, since it's already finger memorized.

Yup muscle memory is a huge factor when trouble is near...but mental memory is a factor too.
2017-10-2 10:57:44
Use props
PaulSouthport
Second Officer
Flight distance : 383966
United Kingdom

I started flying on 6 channel helis, mode 2 made the most sense for me. That carried on through planes, multis and eventually Phantoms
2017-10-2 10:58:43
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 888
United States

My first drone, the HAK 909, used mode 2.  
2017-10-2 11:05:38
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

PaulSouthport Posted at 2017-10-2 10:58
I started flying on 6 channel helis, mode 2 made the most sense for me. That carried on through planes, multis and eventually Phantoms

Interesting, so you would say you use mode 2 because of your past operations or would you say it simply makes the most sense to you to do it that way?
2017-10-2 11:08:37
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

While Mode 2 is the one most likely used, as a stick & rudder kind of aviator I find the right stick a bit confusing for me at times, as it controls fore & aft and yaw

Naw, you misspoke there.  The right stick in mode 2 does not control yaw.  I mean you already know this I'm sure, as you've flown the thing in mode 2 already.  The right stick on the RC controls fore/aft & left/right, not yaw.

You were mistaken about the heli* controls.  The cyclic does not make it go up/down.  That's the collective.  The cyclic is the one that moves you fore/aft and left/right.  And this is usually controlled with the right hand.

Long story short, the default mode 2 RC setup is already almost exactly the same as a real heli.  The only difference is the rudder pedals aren't there, so they're placed on the left stick.  Other than that, all the same.  So if you want to change modes, that's up to you, but using a real heli as justification won't work.

*I can pronounce it 'helli' today because I'm wearing lipstick and ladies clothing.  It's all good.

2017-10-2 11:09:42
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-10-2 11:05
My first drone, the HAK 909, used mode 2.

So you use Mode 2 for your P3 too, I take it?
2017-10-2 11:10:09
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-2 11:09
While Mode 2 is the one most likely used, as a stick & rudder kind of aviator I find the right stick a bit confusing for me at times, as it controls fore & aft and yaw

Naw, you misspoke there.  The right stick in mode 2 does not control yaw.  I mean you already know this I'm sure, as you've flown the thing in mode 2 already.  The right stick on the RC controls fore/aft & left/right, not yaw.

Correct I misspoke about the yaw vice left & right...I will edit that
However, I still meant what I was trying to say about the control inputs as I see them.

As for the helo, yes I wasn't fully sure about that...collective should have been the term, thanks for the correction I will edit that too.

All true, it is personal preference, I'm trying to work it out and find what will work best in my little brain.  I was interested in others thoughts on this too.

OK then, well you go girl...I'm sticking with helo my pants aside and no make up
2017-10-2 11:18:08
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Honestly, even if the default controls made no sense to me, I'd still make a serious effort to get used to them.  There are some toyish drones where you can't change it.  Or if you want to grab your buddy's stick (!), you don't want to spent 5 minutes screwing around with all sorts of config changes.  You can give up on teaching someone else to fly as it would be hard to take over quickly as an instructor (and very irresponsible to teach them some goofball method from the get-go).  If you ever start a company or work for one, how's that going to work with multiple folks.  Talk about a good crash next time someone flies it.

If you can possibly get used to the standard mode for your area of the world I'd stick with it.  To do otherwise seems like it would be way too much of a hassle even if it doesn't seem like a big deal right now.  Once that muscle memory is years-and-years in place, it's too late to go back.
2017-10-2 11:26:13
Use props
PaulSouthport
Second Officer
Flight distance : 383966
United Kingdom

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-2 11:08
Interesting, so you would say you use mode 2 because of your past operations or would you say it simply makes the most sense to you to do it that way?

A bit of both.
The right stick moves the machine on a horizontal plane, so feels natural to me. Obviously, it's a little different with planes, but hugely so.

Plus - I am left handed....
2017-10-2 11:38:22
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-2 11:26
Honestly, even if the default controls made no sense to me, I'd still make a serious effort to get used to them.  There are some toyish drones where you can't change it.  Or if you want to grab your buddy's stick (!), you don't want to spent 5 minutes screwing around with all sorts of config changes.  You can give up on teaching someone else to fly as it would be hard to take over quickly as an instructor (and very irresponsible to teach them some goofball method from the get-go).  If you ever start a company or work for one, how's that going to work with multiple folks.  Talk about a good crash next time someone flies it.

If you can possibly get used to the standard mode for your area of the world I'd stick with it.  To do otherwise seems like it would be way too much of a hassle even if it doesn't seem like a big deal right now.  Once that muscle memory is years-and-years in place, it's too late to go back.

Hey I'm not a goof ball...

Yes, these are good points.  My minor problem is not muscle memory, but mentally thinking about it.  I have this idea in my head about it and at times I get confused between my brain and my hands, I have to pause and think about it.  Yes, I'm still learning, so in time I could learn this configuration, but I'm considering exploring other configurations too.  Just to see how it works for me.
However, you do make some good points that I will consider about this subject, thanks.
2017-10-2 11:38:40
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

PaulSouthport Posted at 2017-10-2 11:38
A bit of both.
The right stick moves the machine on a horizontal plane, so feels natural to me. Obviously, it's a little different with planes, but hugely so.

Understood...thanks
2017-10-2 11:40:11
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 393502
United States

To me, changing modes now would be like learning to write left handed. Couldn't do it.  
2017-10-2 11:49:48
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 466289
  • >>>
Ireland

Mode 2 , good tip for beginners is try to fly AC with the rear always facing you including returning. So left is always left and right is always right, try figure of eight same way, its very natural to all of us and a good way of getting used to Aircraft response to your stick movements.
2017-10-2 11:51:12
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-10-2 11:51
Mode 2 , good tip for beginners is try to fly AC with the rear always facing you including returning. So left is always left and right is always right, try figure of eight same way, its very natural to all of us and a good way of getting used to Aircraft response to your stick movements.

Yes, and funny you mentioned it but I've been practicing using figure 8s, reversing the 8 after a few cycles
Also, circling around me in both directions
2017-10-2 11:59:02
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-10-2 11:49
To me, changing modes now would be like learning to write left handed. Couldn't do it.

I completely get that...I couldn't do it either, thus why I'm thinking about trying it now
2017-10-2 12:00:04
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 184203
United States

I could see using the other modes if you were left handed, most would use there dominant hand for horizontal motions I would imagine.
2017-10-2 14:11:03
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

RMJovo Posted at 2017-10-2 14:11
I could see using the other modes if you were left handed, most would use there dominant hand for horizontal motions I would imagine.

I would imagine not.  They would use the sticks like correct-handed individuals.  In a chopper you can't just move the collective to the other side of the seat.  In an Airbus equipped with sidesticks, the sidestick is on the outboard side of the cockpit on each side.  This means that the captain has to fly with his left hand only.  And it also means that a FO promoted to captain has to switch from right hand to left, even if he's been flying with his right hand for 20 years.

They get by fine.  Nobody dies.   Well I guess people die but not that often.  Actually it's pretty often.  I guess nevermind.
2017-10-2 14:28:15
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82634
United States

I actually used Mode 2 because it feels realistic, i tried other functions and noticed it was hard and feels unnatural.
2017-10-2 14:57:20
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-2 14:28
I would imagine not.  They would use the sticks like correct-handed individuals.  In a chopper you can't just move the collective to the other side of the seat.  In an Airbus equipped with sidesticks, the sidestick is on the outboard side of the cockpit on each side.  This means that the captain has to fly with his left hand only.  And it also means that a FO promoted to captain has to switch from right hand to left, even if he's been flying with his right hand for 20 years.

They get by fine.  Nobody dies.   Well I guess people die but not that often.  Actually it's pretty often.  I guess nevermind.

You are correct in principal...
Having some experience as an IP and having the joy of hoping from one seat to the other during a single flight it can certainly be done, but it does take some practice.  Most importantly it matters much that you develop muscle memory for each position, especially for air-refueling.  Yet, I've seen new copilots who for years were trained and use to left hand throttles, right hand flight controls, starting from their training on up; who when switching to the left seat it's reversed.  This is where I've seen new ACs having some difficulty controlling the aircraft for landing and AR.  Some don't make the transition, but it is a very small number, most do.  Thankfully, I can think of none who have died during that training/transition, like to think their IPs saved them from themselves as they worked on it.
With new fly by wire aircraft they can almost configure any aircraft's flight controls anyway the pilot would prefer.  The AF standard is left throttles, right controls even in side stick aircraft.  However, I can see that changing if operational testing proves something better.
2017-10-2 15:06:58
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 184203
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-2 14:28

This is true for pilots in aircraft, but I would think if you are flying a racing drone or even taking video or pictures in a P4 Quad mode 3 would be easier for lefties...then again each to his own.
2017-10-2 16:11:12
Use props
Rigger73
lvl.2
Switzerland

I started off on mode 2, but found I was still getting my controls mixed up.

So I've recently switched on mode 3 - as I find this more like a PC set up where I was an online gamer - where after years, I'm used to the mouse and keyboard set up.

My left hand would control fwd, back, lateral left /right via WADS, and moving my point of view via the mouse - so that's what I'm going with.

It's possible that my working with different subsea ROV's has affected my hand-eye co-ordination too, were our rotate/yaw left right, as well as up/down is controlled by our direction stick too, on some models.  Others have a separate up/down controller by a rotary switch on the left hand.

2000+ hours, and over 10 years flying these ROV systems may have put a bit of muscle memory in - and being relatively new to UAV flying - I have to go with what I'm comfortable with.

Wish DJI had built the right stick with a yaw function built into it, and then just left the left stick as up/down - but that's only my personnel preference.
2017-10-2 16:23:34
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Rigger73 Posted at 2017-10-2 16:23
I started off on mode 2, but found I was still getting my controls mixed up.

So I've recently switched on mode 3 - as I find this more like a PC set up where I was an online gamer - where after years, I'm used to the mouse and keyboard set up.

This is similar to my small problem...
I don't exactly have muscle memory issues, but I guess you could call it hand eye coordination issues.  I find myself thinking in terms of flying fixed wing and I get tripped up.  I'm sure I could learn Mode 2 but I got thinking maybe another configuration would work better for me...
So, I thought let's see what everyone else thinks or does.  I'm not surprised so far to see most use Mode 2.
2017-10-2 16:37:07
Use props
darrell2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4080
United States

Newbie I use mode 2 someday I will graduate to a big boy toy.
2017-10-2 16:49:31
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

darrell2 Posted at 2017-10-2 16:49
Newbie I use mode 2 someday I will graduate to a big boy toy.

P4P is no small toy, if it's even that...
So far from what I'm seeing in the poll you are right in there with the most experienced as well as the noobs.  
I don't think you'll go wrong using Mode 2
2017-10-2 17:09:58
Use props
TroyBoy69
lvl.2
Flight distance : 176726
Australia

I use mode 1, been flying heli's for 10 years using this mode.
2017-10-2 17:27:37
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153251
Denmark

Have noticed that mode 1 is typically used in countries where you are driven in the wrong/opposite side of the road !!!      Although many of the young people in the previously mentioned countries have begun to use mode 2. Mode 3-4 I have never heard of anyone used but there is probably someone around that stands out from the crowd.

Regards Leif.
2017-10-3 03:51:05
Use props
Eric ncfwa
lvl.3
Flight distance : 51543
Australia

Mode 2, P4P & P3S it's what I have used from the start, still get mixed up a bit when haven't flown for a while, this is where the test after initial take off comes in handy

Eric
2017-10-3 04:36:50
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Landbo Posted at 2017-10-3 03:51
Have noticed that mode 1 is typically used in countries where you are driven in the wrong/opposite side of the road !!!      Although many of the young people in the previously mentioned countries have begun to use mode 2. Mode 3-4 I have never heard of anyone used but there is probably someone around that stands out from the crowd.

Regards Leif.

Interesting theory, did not think of that as a possible explanation...
2017-10-3 09:10:09
Use props
Dockater
lvl.2
Flight distance : 31653
Germany

Learning is not the problem it is change that causes difficulty. Mode 2 is reasonably serviceable; it is close to a real helicopter. For fixed wing pilots like me it is a little bit unusual, but then so is flying a real helicopter. Helicopters and drones do things that fixed wing aircraft find difficult if not impossible. Flying backwards for one, this is indeed possible but only with suitable altitude and arguably best with a operational ejection system.

When I started drone flying I tried out the from Gengis9 (1#) suggested layout and I cannot knock the logic, but it also needs to be learned up to a point where action-reaction are automatic, I was concerned that by handing over the controls to someone else without a software changeover would be particularly dangerous. I use mode 2 as standard, but it is still a matter of personal preference.

As a child (like in the dark ages) my father made a bicycle with a gear reversed steering system, now that required a complete rethink, but I mastered it and also got used to my new front teeth relatively quickly.

Orientation is a lot more difficult with an unmanned vehicle, trying to reason, is left left or right left or… You need to be thinking as if you were in the vehicle. That is why flying “with the camera” is much easier than line of sight and object avoidance in forwards flight much easier, the insistence when drone flying of having “line of sight” is sensible for an overview of the environment but I question whether it is the safest mode of flying. Good to have a spotter.

2017-10-4 02:18:28
Use props
JamesWhenman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66238
United States

I am still such a newbie that I just leave everything in default until I become better at why I would change anything.
2017-10-4 05:25:24
Use props
Dockater
lvl.2
Flight distance : 31653
Germany

JamesWhenman Posted at 2017-10-4 05:25
I am still such a newbie that I just leave everything in default until I become better at why I would change anything.

A very sensible and serious approach.

There are old pilots and bold pilots but few old bold pilots.
2017-10-4 06:01:13
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

JamesWhenman Posted at 2017-10-4 05:25

Well from the standpoint of Mode 2 you are not alone, however, if you are thinking of using another later then you should consider a few things.  Really now is the time change or learn a particular configuration.  Otherwise as you learn M2 now you will gain muscle memory too and then changing later will be that much harder.
You need to do what is best for you.  Many have brought up some good points on why or why not to do what you do in flying one mode or another, so happy choosing and fly safe!
2017-10-4 08:30:58
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Dockater Posted at 2017-10-4 02:18
Learning is not the problem it is change that causes difficulty. Mode 2 is reasonably serviceable; it is close to a real helicopter. For fixed wing pilots like me it is a little bit unusual, but then so is flying a real helicopter. Helicopters and drones do things that fixed wing aircraft find difficult if not impossible. Flying backwards for one, this is indeed possible but only with suitable altitude and arguably best with a operational ejection system.
  When I started drone flying I tried out the from Gengis9 (1#) suggested layout and I cannot knock the logic, but it also needs to be learned up to a point where action-reaction are automatic, I was concerned that by handing over the controls to someone else without a software changeover would be particularly dangerous. I use mode 2 as standard, but it is still a matter of personal preference.
  As a child (like in the dark ages) my father made a bicycle with a gear reversed steering system, now that required a complete rethink, but I mastered it and also got used to my new front teeth relatively quickly.

Concur...and enjoyed your quips!
2017-10-4 08:32:00
Use props
repairman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 92
United States

should say i use m2.

use mode 2 on everything,planes,helos,quads.
2017-10-4 12:14:52
Use props
JamesWhenman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66238
United States

Thanks Dockater, I also prefer to fly using the camera as my eyes front view.
I don't even know what the other modes do or are capable of doing.
Line of sight combined with fpv camera view is the most fun for me, as I spend time looking for fish in a supposedly fishless lake.
Pictures to come as soon as I figure out where to put them in here.

I can't fix what isn't broke in my control usage.
Off to go fly finally that the wind has slowed down enough in the ATL.
2017-10-5 14:50:05
Use props
fans3338f4e6
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4032
United States

JamesWhenman Posted at 2017-10-5 14:50
Thanks Dockater, I also prefer to fly using the camera as my eyes front view.
I don't even know what the other modes do or are capable of doing.
Line of sight combined with fpv camera view is the most fun for me, as I spend time looking for fish in a supposedly fishless lake.

as one who flys R C planes and Helecopters,and now drones/quad copters. mode 2 is the excepted norm when teaching new pilots along with most generic simulators use this format. My understanding was the U S used mode 2, europe countries used mode 1 for whatever reason. Come to think of it who ever decided to use mode 1 as an option? Mode 2 is the standart from what I know when flying r c.
Think this mode 2 started at the birth of r c controled flying when you only had rudder and elevator controls back when I started flying back in the early 70's, and back them stick movement was all or nothing. Not liniear like todays modern electronic controls.
2017-10-5 15:48:46
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

fans3338f4e6 Posted at 2017-10-5 15:48
as one who flys R C planes and Helecopters,and now drones/quad copters. mode 2 is the excepted norm when teaching new pilots along with most generic simulators use this format. My understanding was the U S used mode 2, europe countries used mode 1 for whatever reason. Come to think of it who ever decided to use mode 1 as an option? Mode 2 is the standart from what I know when flying r c.
Think this mode 2 started at the birth of r c controled flying when you only had rudder and elevator controls back when I started flying back in the early 70's, and back them stick movement was all or nothing. Not liniear like todays modern electronic controls.

At first I thought Mode 2 was going to be the most used because it was the default.  What I'm learning is Mode 2 may be the most used because that configuration has been in use for a long time with other remote flying craft, I find that interesting.  
Cheers
2017-10-5 20:04:57
Use props
William Yuandi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 137389
  • >>>
Indonesia

MODE 2... because the most of RC default to Mode 2... and i think 85% people use Mode 2 all over the world... instead of japan... they always use mode 1... lol
2017-10-6 01:37:26
Use props
12Next >
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules

Close

DJI RecommendsPrevious /1 Next