Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
[POLL] What Remote Controller Mode Do You Use?
123Next >
22669 112 2017-10-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Xian Onemanshow
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5384334 ft
France

Mode 1 for me, LHD country.
2017-10-6
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

If there is ANYTHING that might go wrong, I don't want to THINK about what to do... I want it automatically...
2017-10-6
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Xian Onemanshow Posted at 2017-10-6 12:22
Mode 1 for me, LHD country.

?? Left Hand D?

Otherwise, you saying it's genetic or French folk just south paws?
2017-10-6
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-10-6 12:50
If there is ANYTHING that might go wrong, I don't want to THINK about what to do... I want it automatically...

Concur if that is what you've trained too and used too...
I'm still learning and can train to what works best for me, but I have not yet decided on what I will do...
2017-10-6
Use props
Xian Onemanshow
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5384334 ft
France

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-6 13:25
?? Left Hand D?

Otherwise, you saying it's genetic or French folk just south paws?

No Left Hand drive  ( replying to the comment related to the driving side and the mode 1)
I learned the Phantom on mode 1 and have issues flying in mode 2 , mode 1 is very easy , my young kids tried both modes 1 & 2 , they are comfortable with mode 1.
2017-10-6
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Xian Onemanshow Posted at 2017-10-6 13:34
No Left Hand drive  ( replying to the comment related to the driving side and the mode 1)
I learned the Phantom on mode 1 and have issues flying in mode 2 , mode 1 is very easy , my young kids tried both modes 1 & 2 , they are comfortable with mode 1.

Thanks for clearing that up!
2017-10-6
Use props
darrell2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 63632 ft
United States

Hey Genghis9 I tried mode 1 yesterday and I think I like it better than mode 2 it seem to work better for me we will have to leave it there for now and work with it a little more. Thing is if you don't try something you won't know if you like it or not.
2017-10-8
Use props
JamesWhenman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 426375 ft
United States

On this controller thread, If anyone knows how to program the custom setting to do a snap roll, I would be interested.
2017-10-8
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

darrell2 Posted at 2017-10-8 03:43
Hey Genghis9 I tried mode 1 yesterday and I think I like it better than mode 2 it seem to work better for me we will have to leave it there for now and work with it a little more. Thing is if you don't try something you won't know if you like it or not.

Good point, let us know how it works out for you...
2017-10-8
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

JamesWhenman Posted at 2017-10-8 04:27
On this controller thread, If anyone knows how to program the custom setting to do a snap roll, I would be interested.

uh I'm certain even if you really wanted too these birds will not do that.  While they are good flying platforms, they are also camera and filming platforms which means stability is their thing.  Not sure you want to risk your hard earned coin on stunt ops with this particular UAV.
2017-10-8
Use props
JamesWhenman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 426375 ft
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-8 08:39
uh  I'm certain even if you really wanted too these birds will not do that.  While they are good flying platforms, they are also camera and filming platforms which means stability is their thing.  Not sure you want to risk your hard earned coin on stunt ops with this particular UAV.

No, I don't wish to add stunts. I think it would be some wild video if they could do stunts.
2017-10-10
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

JamesWhenman Posted at 2017-10-10 05:41
No, I don't wish to add stunts. I think it would be some wild video if they could do stunts.

Well I'd have to agree with you there
2017-10-10
Use props
happidrons
lvl.1
Spain

at the licenses school they teach you with mode 2 - Region Spain
2017-10-13
Use props
wglovett
lvl.3
Canada

using default for fear frequent updates will revert to it and make me mess up! look forward to going through the communities comments on this. I would prefer if your original posts suggested settings were the default
2017-10-16
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

wglovett Posted at 2017-10-16 19:04
using default for fear frequent updates will revert to it and make me mess up! look forward to going through the communities comments on this. I would prefer if your original posts suggested settings were the default

I thought I mentioned that Mode 2 was the default...
Hard to cover everything in a simple survey.
I do see your point about updates...
2017-10-17
Use props
wglovett
lvl.3
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-17 09:10
I thought I mentioned that Mode 2 was the default...
Hard to cover everything in a simple survey.
I do see your point about updates...

i may have been unclear, i like your suggested settings but i use mode 2 (default) mostly since i figured it was going to be a learning curve with first uav and all so trust in the pros and give it a try, but also with all the posts i read about camera settings etc going back to default after updates i worried these custom settings may revert to it without my noticing til it was too late lol
i don't always take the time to spell things out so well. i can't be bothered to use capital i's in chats quite often either ;)
2017-10-18
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

wglovett Posted at 2017-10-18 07:58
i may have been unclear, i like your suggested settings but i use mode 2 (default) mostly since i figured it was going to be a learning curve with first uav and all so trust in the pros and give it a try, but also with all the posts i read about camera settings etc going back to default after updates i worried these custom settings may revert to it without my noticing til it was too late lol
i don't always take the time to spell things out so well. i can't be bothered to use capital i's in chats quite often either ;)

I understand
2017-10-18
Use props
mic75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3799423 ft
Australia

I use mode 2 but I’m seriously considering switching to mode 1 because of what I call Xbox syndrome, I’ve been flying for a couple of years now and if I haven’t flown for a while I tend to use the left stick to for forward n back and the right stick for up and down in emergency situations which has led to a couple of minor incidents. After the first incident I was playing on my Xbox when I discovered the stick combination on my Xbox controller was the reason for my muscle memory.
2017-11-11
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

mic75 Posted at 2017-11-11 00:56
I use mode 2 but I’m seriously considering switching to mode 1 because of what I call Xbox syndrome, I’ve been flying for a couple of years now and if I haven’t flown for a while I tend to use the left stick to for forward n back and the right stick for up and down in emergency situations which has led to a couple of minor incidents. After the first incident I was playing on my Xbox when I discovered the stick combination on my Xbox controller was the reason for my muscle memory.

That's interesting and very observant on your part.  Something other avid gamers should note too, or at least consider.
Please come back and let us know how that ends up working for you or what you find out about this situation.
Fly Safe!
2017-11-11
Use props
Olivier Vietti-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11618934 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

mode 2 is the one that is closest to the piloting of a helicopter mode 3 similar but inverted mode 1 and 4 are defined by the acrobatic model pilots, to differentiate the pitch / roll motion
2017-11-11
Use props
EdM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you plan on allowing anyone else to fly your quad or plan on flying anyone else's I would suggest sticking with mode 2.     Unlike when you are flying rc aircraft where it is normal to check all control surface movement using the transmitter sticks before takeoff, you can't do that with a quad.   
2017-11-11
Use props
mic75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3799423 ft
Australia

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-11-11 05:25
That's interesting and very observant on your part.  Something other avid gamers should note too, or at least consider.
Please come back and let us know how that ends up working for you or what you find out about this situation.
Fly Safe!

I tried mode 1 today and it felt very natural but I found myself wanting to go back to mode 2 so I did and I will stick with that, I think it’s only ever a problem if I haven’t flown for a little while so I will have to be careful on those occasions.
2017-11-12
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

mic75 Posted at 2017-11-12 00:54
I tried mode 1 today and it felt very natural but I found myself wanting to go back to mode 2 so I did and I will stick with that, I think it’s only ever a problem if I haven’t flown for a little while so I will have to be careful on those occasions.

Sounds like a reasonable course of action, it is something to keep in mind as you proceed...
Good luck to you, fly safe
2017-11-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Been using these Radio Controllers, with my RC gear. They work great. ;-)

I only use a remote for my tv and stereo components. Hahaha

Yeah, it's all in the wording. Chuckles

RedHotPoker
2017-11-12
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I use the standard mode 2, BUT, i am new ro RC as a whole, P4P is my  1st, the mistake i amke at least 5 times on 1 battery is left stick to go forward, when in fact it sends it upwards

I really dont want to change the stick configuration but i may have too :/
2017-12-7
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 2017-12-7 21:10
I use the standard mode 2, BUT, i am new ro RC as a whole, P4P is my  1st, the mistake i amke at least 5 times on 1 battery is left stick to go forward, when in fact it sends it upwards

I really dont want to change the stick configuration but i may have too :/

Yes I make the same mistakes too from time to time, that is one of the reasons I started this thread...
Good luck to you
2017-12-7
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks,  you too, glad to know im not alone
2017-12-8
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

For general RC flying - Mode 2 is the easiest to learn but it also has a bad trait.

For years Mode 1 flyers dominated aerobatics because of the split main functions. Mode 2 flyers were less precise in flight due to any creep in stick movement ... you'd move stick for ailerons and elevator would get a small deflection because of you not moving stick precisely. Mode 1 had secondary function with main - so less effect of that slight off-movement.
Hanno Prettner - one of the best Aerobatic RC pilots ever .... said - Mode 2 flyer would never beat him ... it was fact.

With later radios and improved Expo / rates and mixing - this has rebalanced and Mode 2 guys are up there.

Some people claim Mode 1 vs 2 is geographical - no it is not. There are plenty of both wherever you go in the world.

Me ? I learnt Mode 2 like many others - because its a lazy way. Once in the air with fixed wing - you can basically fly one stick ... the right one. We call it Bank and Yank ... because its aileron to bank, elevator to yank it round. Coordinated flying - use of rudder is not essential.

Bring on quads and heli's .... throttle and yaw stay on left stick and right stick takes the other two - so it follows on from general mode 2.

Simple really.

Nigel
2017-12-8
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

solentlife Posted at 2017-12-8 03:00
For general RC flying - Mode 2 is the easiest to learn but it also has a bad trait.

For years Mode 1 flyers dominated aerobatics because of the split main functions. Mode 2 flyers were less precise in flight due to any creep in stick movement ... you'd move stick for ailerons and elevator would get a small deflection because of you not moving stick precisely. Mode 1 had secondary function with main - so less effect of that slight off-movement.

Thanks Nigel, its good to have some background information, it generally helps in understanding.
2017-12-8
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

The funny thing is that a basic form of Mode 1 was around before Mode 2 ... because of the lack of 'channels' on the radios.

Two channel radios where two stick would be used for pitch and turn ... Mode 1.

Then some fancy pants came out with the single stick two ch. radio !!

People tend to quote the single stick use in aircraft ... and like to say they are flying RC the same ...

I think I have similar to many other people - dominant hand and less able other. I tried Mode 1 many years ago as I wanted to compete in Aerobatics, but my left hand was not so good in precision as my right. So I resigned myself to Mode 2.

Pal of mine in UK is not only guy I know capable of flying both Mode 1 and 2 ............... crazy !!

Nigel
2017-12-8
Use props
Anokadrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

Mode 2,  being a newbie to RC's it just made the most sense when I looked them over.  
2017-12-8
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

Mode 2  
2017-12-8
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-12-8 06:06
The funny thing is that a basic form of Mode 1 was around before Mode 2 ... because of the lack of 'channels' on the radios.

Two channel radios where two stick would be used for pitch and turn ... Mode 1.

Nigel thanks for the info and background, interesting stuff...
I'm familiar with the concept of yank and bank.  Being a military aviator I've done my share of that LoL!
There in lies my problem with flying my P4P, I think fixed wing flying when operating my UAV and it just gets confused between my brain and hands.  I've gotten better but it requires some concentration and effort to make sure I don't make a mistake.  Occasionally I have had some close calls as a I go to move in one direction rapidly and end up going the wrong way and I have to stop myself quickly to avoid disaster
2017-12-8
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

nice name Nebuchadnezzar
2017-12-8
Use props
Fastnine
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24324 ft
United States

PaulSouthport Posted at 2017-10-2 10:58
I started flying on 6 channel helis, mode 2 made the most sense for me. That carried on through planes, multis and eventually Phantoms

Agreed ive been flying helis for a long time , when we first saw these drones they were called quad copters years ago  then over the years were called drones , I still call them quad copters lol
2017-12-16
Use props
Fastnine
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24324 ft
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-2 12:00
I completely get that...I couldn't do it either, thus why I'm thinking about trying it now

so imagine this , in RC helis we have whats called idle up mode and this means that the swash plate mixing is such that the left stick being in the middle is 0 degrees pitch on the main blades , so the rotor head is spinning at 2000 to 2200 rpm and the heli wont move off the ground. When you push up on the left stick that adds pitch.. pulling down below middle or 0 puts negative pitch in the blade. this is so we can flip upside down and hover and fly upside down , and its what lets us do flips and all kinda crazy stunts. We can fly way up high and put the heli in hold mode witch puts the motor into idle and auto rotate down with no power from 400ft its fun :-)
2017-12-16
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Fastnine Posted at 2017-12-16 15:56
so imagine this , in RC helis we have whats called idle up mode and this means that the swash plate mixing is such that the left stick being in the middle is 0 degrees pitch on the main blades , so the rotor head is spinning at 2000 to 2200 rpm and the heli wont move off the ground. When you push up on the left stick that adds pitch.. pulling down below middle or 0 puts negative pitch in the blade. this is so we can flip upside down and hover and fly upside down , and its what lets us do flips and all kinda crazy stunts. We can fly way up high and put the heli in hold mode witch puts the motor into idle and auto rotate down with no power from 400ft its fun :-)

Short of the hoopdy loops sounds like it is configured a lot like a real helo...yeah I'm sure it is a lot of fun!
2017-12-16
Use props
Rigger73
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378478 ft
United Kingdom

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-2 16:37
This is similar to my small problem...
I don't exactly have muscle memory issues, but I guess you could call it hand eye coordination issues.  I find myself thinking in terms of flying fixed wing and I get tripped up.  I'm sure I could learn Mode 2 but I got thinking maybe another configuration would work better for me...
So, I thought let's see what everyone else thinks or does.  I'm not surprised so far to see most use Mode 2.

I've ended up going back to Mode 2.

I was using mode 3 for a while - but kept finding myself putting mode 2 inputs in.  Argh!!!!

Back to mode 2 it is then.
2017-12-17
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Rigger73 Posted at 2017-12-17 04:32
I've ended up going back to Mode 2.

I was using mode 3 for a while - but kept finding myself putting mode 2 inputs in.  Argh!!!!

It seems Mode 2 is firmly entrenched in the system and it also appears that Mode 2 is the most likely go to mode for people to use...
2017-12-17
Use props
hdlou94
lvl.4
Flight distance : 753163 ft
United States

I believe whatever you are comfortable with is what you should use..
2017-12-19
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules