[POLL] What Remote Controller Mode Do You Use?
22811 112 2017-10-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

hdlou94 Posted at 2017-12-19 02:17
I believe whatever you are comfortable with is what you should use..

I'm comfortable with a stick and throttle, but helos/quads don't work that way...sooo, I'm relearning in that respect...
2017-12-19
Use props
juicedrummer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 27871 ft
United States

mic75 Posted at 2017-11-11 00:56
I use mode 2 but I’m seriously considering switching to mode 1 because of what I call Xbox syndrome, I’ve been flying for a couple of years now and if I haven’t flown for a while I tend to use the left stick to for forward n back and the right stick for up and down in emergency situations which has led to a couple of minor incidents. After the first incident I was playing on my Xbox when I discovered the stick combination on my Xbox controller was the reason for my muscle memory.

this is why i stick with mode 3.  left stick is always the walk around stick (ie forward/backward and strafe left and right) in almost every FPS or sport game.  right stick was always look around or tilt up/tilt down, look left/look right.  mode 3 feels the most natural to that for me.
2017-12-19
Use props
hdlou94
lvl.4
Flight distance : 753163 ft
United States

I think now that this has been brought up, and I just used it the way it was, I might explore..
2017-12-20
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

hdlou94 Posted at 2017-12-20 02:19
I think now that this has been brought up, and I just used it the way it was, I might explore..

You should
Just keep in mind some pointers that others brought up here
1. Mode 2 is clearly the bomb for most, so anyone used to this and uses your bird setup will immediately be off with your customized or non standard setup.  Meaning you should warn them or reset before handing over the controls
2. Most training sessions are done in Mode 2
3. When teaching someone to fly with your rig and it is non standard ensure you either change it back or warn your students
4. If you ever send it in for repairs etc. ensure you check it before the first flight back as it was likely reset to the default

Enjoy and fly safe
2017-12-20
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Something to take note ... may seem unimportant .... but in fact could save you embarrassment.

Generally because of the massive number of RC flyers who use Mode 1 and 2 .... the common error of equating JUST throttle config as the mode is used.

But if you look at the permutations of stick config - you find that throttle is not the only function to identify for correct mode.

I only mention this as I remember an embarrassing incident of a pal of mine in UK ... Another offered him the TX to fly his model. He assumed because of the throttle - that it was a certain usual mode ... he soon found out it was not !! Luckily the model had not left ground before he realised and shut off throttle ...
Of course we all asked him why he didn't  do a ground check of controls ... he answered - model had just flown fine with the guy ... mmmmmmmm well that's something else.

Nigel
2017-12-20
Use props
stalker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13632 ft
Netherlands

Oops. Voted #1 but meant #2.
2017-12-20
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-12-20 04:14
Something to take note ... may seem unimportant .... but in fact could save you embarrassment.

Generally because of the massive number of RC flyers who use Mode 1 and 2 .... the common error of equating JUST throttle config as the mode is used.

I wish we could do a ground check too, I do a low level one immediately after takeoff...
2017-12-20
Use props
hdlou94
lvl.4
Flight distance : 753163 ft
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-12-20 03:28
You should
Just keep in mind some pointers that others brought up here
1. Mode 2 is clearly the bomb for most, so anyone used to this and uses your bird setup will immediately be off with your customized or non standard setup.  Meaning you should warn them or reset before handing over the controls

Ok, you might have just changed my mind  on this whole thing, thank you for the heads up approach,,,
2017-12-20
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

hdlou94 Posted at 2017-12-20 13:43
Ok, you might have just changed my mind  on this whole thing, thank you for the heads up approach,,,

Nay don't be swayed...just be informed
Experiment, it's good
2017-12-20
Use props
Edward J Smith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1852408 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use mode 2 because my games on the play station 4 are set that way..................
2017-12-20
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Edward J Smith Posted at 2017-12-20 20:10
I use mode 2 because my games on the play station 4 are set that way..................

Interesting you are not the first who has made this distinction, I sense a trend here with gamers...
2017-12-20
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

It was joked about with some people I know way back when drones started appearing often ..... "Models for Gamers" !!

Its actually not far from true .. given the different sense of control to a standard RC model. Its even a bit different to a Helicopter ... it has its own system.

Nigel
2017-12-21
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-12-21 07:44
It was joked about with some people I know way back when drones started appearing often ..... "Models for Gamers" !!

Its actually not far from true .. given the different sense of control to a standard RC model. Its even a bit different to a Helicopter ... it has its own system.

I would agree with that...I see and feel both a gaming element to it and while I'm not a helo pilot I know enough of their flight ops that these quads really don't follow that line either.
As I have gotten more familiar with my stickology I've notice that I tend to be very jerky at times in applying control pressure/input which at times not only catches me off guard but causes me to come close to a collision.  I need to find my happy middle or sweet spot...
2017-12-21
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use mode 2, never flown anything but drones and all the ones I've flown have been mode 2. I'd probably crash it if I tried to switch now.
2017-12-21
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-12-21 17:27
I use mode 2, never flown anything but drones and all the ones I've flown have been mode 2. I'd probably crash it if I tried to switch now.

Then I suggest you stick with mode 2
2017-12-21
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

I´d leave the mode 2 on the RC,some times i use a X161 follower X6 and that RC has the mode 2 too.
2017-12-26
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hey folks, as i mentioned earlier in this thread that i use mode to and occasionally  use the wrong stick, Yesterday was no exception, this time it was the right stick, i was hovering over a field at about 4m and i pushed the stick go up, (heres the rookie mistake) my mate said sommat and i looked at him at the moment i pushed the stick, when i looked back at the screen i saw that i was skimming the earth at 4m high, luckily i was in a field and also was going away from me. normally i am accidentally pushing left stick to go forward instead on up an down...

So,  what should i do, what would you do, swap the sticks round, left stick to turn and go back and forward and right stick up and down and left and right  or is it too late seen as ive used mode 2 for a couple of months now? i could end up in the same boat now i suppose and whos tell if i had set it the other way i would be doing the same blooming thing.

This is my 1st time with RC so........
2017-12-28
Use props
thahn4991
lvl.1
United States

I'm so new I'm still trying to figure this out...
2017-12-29
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

thahn4991 Posted at 2017-12-29 21:36
I'm so new I'm still trying to figure this out...

No prob, take your time and you'll find what works best for you
2017-12-29
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 2017-12-28 22:29
Hey folks, as i mentioned earlier in this thread that i use mode to and occasionally  use the wrong stick, Yesterday was no exception, this time it was the right stick, i was hovering over a field at about 4m and i pushed the stick go up, (heres the rookie mistake) my mate said sommat and i looked at him at the moment i pushed the stick, when i looked back at the screen i saw that i was skimming the earth at 4m high, luckily i was in a field and also was going away from me. normally i am accidentally pushing left stick to go forward instead on up an down...

So,  what should i do, what would you do, swap the sticks round, left stick to turn and go back and forward and right stick up and down and left and right  or is it too late seen as ive used mode 2 for a couple of months now? i could end up in the same boat now i suppose and whos tell if i had set it the other way i would be doing the same blooming thing.

Well
While I don't have any long time experience with RC flying, I'd consider the following.
Look for consistent trends as you go along and learn.  Nearly everyone is capable of learning and adjusting to these controls, but it takes some time and some can take longer than most.  However, if as you go you are making the same constant mistakes over and over again then that is when I'd consider changing the mode or customizing the layout.  At present you are describing common mistakes that many make and they don't appear to be consistent in nature.
Fly safe fly careful and practice...
2017-12-29
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cheers, i will persist for a while longer and see how it goes
2017-12-30
Use props
Droner500
lvl.4
United States

I use mode 2 too because all of my beginner beginner drones had that, so now its muscle memory and on that mode I'm able to fly the drone where I want and almost not even think about it.
2018-1-31
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Droner500 Posted at 2018-1-31 09:52
I use mode 2 too because all of my beginner beginner drones had that, so now its muscle memory and on that mode I'm able to fly the drone where I want and almost not even think about it.

Yes Mode 2, is mine too.

But friend, Don't ever stop thinking about it.

Like daydreams can ruin a great flight...

RedHotPoker

RedHotPoker
2018-2-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-2 10:57
Yup muscle memory is a huge factor when trouble is near...but mental memory is a factor too.

I have muscle memory all over my body, for archery, my leather tooling, skating, playing music is where it's key, on a keyboard.  Haha

RedHotPoker
2018-2-1
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-2-1 12:25
I have muscle memory all over my body, for archery, my leather tooling, skating, playing music is where it's key, on a keyboard.  Haha

Agreed, it is what makes the difference in a piano virtuoso who can tickle the ivory like no one else...that doesn't happen by just watching what keys you are hitting!
2018-2-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-2-1 12:27
Agreed, it is what makes the difference in a piano virtuoso who can tickle the ivory like no one else...that doesn't happen by just watching what keys you are hitting!

Nice sentiments, aside from the mention of ivory.

image.jpeg

I know you meant no harm, as it's an old saying, when pianos actually had ivory covered keys.

RedHotPoker
2018-2-1
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-2-1 12:36
Nice sentiments, aside from the mention of ivory.

[view_image]

You mean they don't anymore
2018-2-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-2-1 12:42
You mean they don't anymore

No. It's now a plastic material.

Besides ivory dries up, shrinks and even changes color over the years.

But it looks nice. To start out.

RedHotPoker

2018-2-1
Use props
Droner500
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-2-1 10:27
Yes Mode 2, is mine too.

But friend, Don't ever stop thinking about it.

I don't literally stop thinking about it, what I meant is that I don't have to look down at the controls and study my drones position and which toggle switches to press to move where I want to go.
2018-2-8
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Droner500 Posted at 2018-2-8 11:05
I don't literally stop thinking about it, what I meant is that I don't have to look down at the controls and study my drones position and which toggle switches to press to move where I want to go.

Absolutely, I get it...
That is what muscle memory is all about, thanks for your input
2018-2-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Droner500 Posted at 2018-2-8 11:05

I don't know anyone who has to look down at the RC to figure out which way to push a stick.

It becomes second nature.

RedHotPoker
2018-2-8
Use props
fanse397465a
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23136 ft
United States

I use mode 2 traditional mode for U.S. base Radio Control pilot. HOWEVER back in the old day we use to fly mode 4 with ailerons and rudder (yaw) switched to allow better precision acrobatics
2018-3-3
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

fanse397465a Posted at 2018-3-3 05:28
I use mode 2 traditional mode for U.S. base Radio Control pilot. HOWEVER back in the old day we use to fly mode 4 with ailerons and rudder (yaw) switched to allow better precision acrobatics

I can appreciate that, I'm a stick and rudder guy and find these setups still a bit confusing at times.
2018-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules