Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
First drone crash - what could have caused it? (with video)
9633 46 2017-10-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Jost Posted at 2017-10-12 11:05
Thanks, DroneFlying. I appreciate your help very much.

Checked the junk folder, but no mail with a ticket number.

The file you provided contains three flights, all of which appear to have taken place near Currambine Primary School and none of them appears to match the video or description you posted.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what to tell you if you have missing DAT file entries: that would be the first I'd heard of them not being recorded and without the DAT file from the flight there's not much more than I can add beyond what I already wrote. However, based on the behavior in the video and the fact that you took off from a metal plate I think it's pretty likely that this was just a result of a geomagnetically distorted location.
2017-10-13
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Jost Posted at 2017-10-9 11:58
My camera is at the highest/most straight point in that position. The dot cannot go any higher than shown  in the picture, but the camera is pointing  straight there.
Normally if I would set the camera at 45 degree angle I would put the dot in the middle of the slider. But if I do that the camera is not pointing in a 45 degree angle.

I see that nobody has answered this yet.

When the gimbal is pointing straight ahead (0 degrees), the dot will be approximately where your screenshot shows it to be.  If you want the gimbal to go higher (so it looks up and goes into that upper range of lines) you have to enable the gimbal extension setting in the app.
2017-10-15
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yep - to set +30 to -90 degrees you need to enable the upward tilt in the gimbal setting configurations.
2017-10-15
Use props
Jost
lvl.1
Denmark

Sorry for the late reply. I've been away on familiy bussiness.

DroneFlying wrote:

The file you provided contains three flights, all of which appear to have taken place near Currambine Primary School and none of them appears to match the video or description you posted.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what to tell you if you have missing DAT file entries: that would be the first I'd heard of them not being recorded and without the DAT file from the flight there's not much more than I can add beyond what I already wrote. However, based on the behavior in the video and the fact that you took off from a metal plate I think it's pretty likely that this was just a result of a geomagnetically distorted location.

That is weird. I googled Currambine Primary School, and it seems to be in Australia, and I was flying with the Drone in Czhech Republic here: https://goo.gl/maps/YPK8Q9aBFL12. And now I'm back home in Denmark.

I had my very first flight with the drone the 12th September: https://www.facebook.com/jost.l.hansen/videos/10155274041151144/ a few days after I got it, but the first flight log is (except for the on 1st January 2017) is the 3rd October and the crash happened the 30th September.
I retrieved the DAT file I sent to support the 3rd October, and then I updated the firmware (in Denmark). Can the firmware update have erased the logs? The DAT that says I'm near Currambine Primary School was retrieved after the firmware update and so was the screen shot of DJI Assistent 2.
If you look at the picture in post 27 you can see that map shows that I'm in Czech Republic (compare the map with the google map link and you'll see the road Zamecka in both) even though I was sitting home in Denmark. So the GPS hadn't got the new location since I was sitting inside and didn't turn the drone on after the crash before I was home in Denmark.
Before retrieving the Currambine Primary School DAT file I've turned on the drone several times. That might be all the other Flight logs?
I haven't been flying with the drone since the crash yet. I hope for good drone weather on Saturday :-)

So what have happened here, besides the crash probably was caused by the metal plate?
Thanks for the effort DroneFlying.
DJI supporters, where should I send my question?

Irate Retro wrote

I see that nobody has answered this yet.

When the gimbal is pointing straight ahead (0 degrees), the dot will be approximately where your screenshot shows it to be.  If you want the gimbal to go higher (so it looks up and goes into that upper range of lines) you have to enable the gimbal extension setting in the app.

and ACW wrote:

Yep - to set +30 to -90 degrees you need to enable the upward tilt in the gimbal setting configurations.

Yeah, I was watching some videos about settings where I stumbled acrossed the the gimbal extension. And I tried it :-) For some reason I hadn't noticed the dot wasn't going any higher before and I wasn't aware that the camera could go more up than 0 degrees. There is so much stuff about the drone I can't read from the manual.
But thanks for the clarification.
2017-10-17
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Jost Posted at 2017-10-17 14:39
Sorry for the late reply. I've been away on familiy bussiness.

DroneFlying wrote:

You're right: I got your data mixed up with someone else's. The file you uploaded contained 10 different DAT files, but none of them contained any flight time or even GPS coordinates at all, so they appear to all be from powering on the Mavic indoors.
2017-10-17
Use props
Jost
lvl.1
Denmark

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-10-17 15:51
You're right: I got your data mixed up with someone else's. The file you uploaded contained 10 different DAT files, but none of them contained any flight time or even GPS coordinates at all, so they appear to all be from powering on the Mavic indoors.

Now it make more sense, especially because I have powered it up several times indoor.

But the question is were are all the other DAT files from the actual flights? My only guess is that the firmware update deleted them.
2017-10-18
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Jost Posted at 2017-10-18 12:46
Now it make more sense, especially because I have powered it up several times indoor.

But the question is were are all the other DAT files from the actual flights? My only guess is that the firmware update deleted them.

I've heard that with a certain combination of firmware and / or DJI Assistant that it may sometimes be necessary to start and stop the Assistant app multiple times for a recently created DAT file to show up. However, if the flight you're looking occurred a while back I'd expect it to already be there. It's also true that older DAT files will eventually be deleted to make room for newer ones once the card filles up, but if those 10 files are the only ones remaining on your Mavic then you should still have plenty of space left.

Unfortunately, until / unless we can figure out a way for you to retrieve the DAT file from the flight there's not going to be any more useful information I can offer.
2017-10-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules