Noisy RTH
1036 10 2017-10-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dick Heiser
lvl.1
Flight distance : 57543 ft
United States

The latest Spark software has the drone beeping on Return To Home.

1. It's embarrassing.
2. It attracts unwelcome attention.
3. I can monitor the drone's location on the mobile app. Beep not helping.

I would like a software preference that can mute the beep.
2017-10-2
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

I don't think the drone has anything to make a beeping noise onboard.... is it the phone or RC beeping...?
2017-10-2
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

The beeping sound you are talking about is coming from your RC and not the AC.
2017-10-2
Use props
Centraltooth
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76539 ft
Thailand

The RC also beeps really loudly whenever I tries to connect it to the AC. If only there's a way to lower the volume of the beeping or just shut it off completely.
2017-10-2
Use props
Jr 5542
lvl.3
United States

I dont think you can turn the beepe vol  down  or off.
2017-10-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You can’t turn it off, it’s there as safety feature to warn you and others that there is an aircraft flying under its own control and not being controlled by operator.
If you don’t like the beeping you can take back control and fly aircraft yourself, RTH should only be used in emergency situations.
2017-10-3
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-10-3 00:45
You can’t turn it off, it’s there as safety feature to warn you and others that there is an aircraft flying under its own control and not being controlled by operator.
If you don’t like the beeping you can take back control and fly aircraft yourself, RTH should only be used in emergency situations.

I hardly ever use RTH.  My primary use case is for boating, and under this use case home point is not a suitable location to land (the boat floats and moves).

Besides testing RTH functionality, the only time I've used it was when I was flying up at my property (40 acres), and I would occasionally get out of RC range (once with my spark, a few times with my P3S), and RTH did exactly as it was suppose to.

I find the experience of manually bringing back the craft and landing it myself more valuable, because I am flying with the craft oriented opposite of me (it's facing me, I'm facing it).  In this orientation the controls are "sort of" reversed in that my left is the drone's right, etc.  This is good practice.
2017-10-3
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

So do I. Including for the RC.(edit: My reply was ment to support the noise complaint).
2017-10-3
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

For the purpose of adding to the conversation, just a reminder that if the AC is more than 100 meters away when the RTH is initiated, it will be coming back at a rate of 10 m/s or approximately 22mph.  Depending upon the situation the pilot has gotten themselves into, keeping the AC in RTH mode and this higher speed, may be the most appropriate method of getting the AC safely back home to them.

If you take it out of RTH, it will come back at a significantly slower rate.  In GPS mode with object avoidance on, you will only be moving at 6-7mph and if you have object avoidance off, you will only be going around 12mph.  Yes, you could switch to Sport mode to go up around 30mph, but as we know, control of a direct flight path is much more difficult in Sport mode and may not be the best choice in an unpredictable situation.  

In some situations, coming back at 22mph in RTH mode may be the difference between a safe return and dropping it into a lethal spot.

I think what most of you are saying is to try to avoid getting yourself into a situation where an RTH is necessary.  This is where practice and training comes into the picture and knowing what is the best action in an unpredictable situation.
2017-10-3
Use props
Dick Heiser
lvl.1
Flight distance : 57543 ft
United States

Thanks everybody!
2017-10-7
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-10-3 05:25
I hardly ever use RTH.  My primary use case is for boating, and under this use case home point is not a suitable location to land (the boat floats and moves).

Besides testing RTH functionality, the only time I've used it was when I was flying up at my property (40 acres), and I would occasionally get out of RC range (once with my spark, a few times with my P3S), and RTH did exactly as it was suppose to.

And the drone can fly back to home quicker.
My reason for almost always canceling the RTH.
Unless it is a disconnection RTH and the video feed does not come up again
2017-10-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules