Flight distance : 1572 ft
Canada

2017-10-2
Use props
Madwand
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73018 ft
United States

If you thought it was illegal because you flew it over people, the water park has no authority to give you immunity from that. It really is none of their business.
2017-10-2
Use props
fans44fb5809
lvl.3
Canada

Madwand Posted at 2017-10-2 18:16
If you thought it was illegal because you flew it over people, the water park has no authority to give you immunity from that. It really is none of their business.

Good point!
2017-10-2
Use props
Madwand
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73018 ft
United States

It looks great, though,  I'd be happy with that.
2017-10-2
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

It is a great video, not sure what the Canadian rules say since I see that's where you are. Here in the U.S., flying over people is a big no-no.
2017-10-2
Use props
fans44fb5809
lvl.3
Canada

Madwand Posted at 2017-10-2 18:22
It looks great, though,  I'd be happy with that.

Thanks appreciate it!!
2017-10-2
Use props
Rawsome
lvl.4
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

You are aware that Transport Canada is about to tighten the the regulations and this doesn't help our cause.
Just because the management of Calypso "ok'ed" it doesn't mean you are not flying your bird against the law.
If your spark would have gone bananas because of all the metal and slides and crashed in to the crowd you'd be having a hell of time right now.
I believe your previous post caused a bit of a sh*t storm and yet you dare to challenge the community again.
It's a lovely clip don't get me wrong, if you would have gotten permission from TC and the water park to fly and film for let's say a commercial - awesome and good for you.
But you didn't, you ignored the regulations and got lucky.
I said it before and will repeat this - you can get prosecuted for this, as the circumstances are illegal.
I have seen people on facebook, catching bass or musky out of season and MNR would find and fine them.
There are tons of places around to showcase your skill with in the legal limits.
You are attracting a lot of attention to something you have done wrong - this will likely come back and bite you in the remote.
2017-10-2
Use props
Javey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503458 ft
United States

Really cool and cinematic, just make sure to write all of those people and get their consent to be filmed only kidding.  Nice footage.
2017-10-2
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

Considering that many of the videos posted here (as well as some videos featured by DJI themselves) are technically just as illegal - flown over cities, over landmarks, etc. - this video is as cool as everyone's...
By the way, where is this park?
2017-10-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks great, too bad we can't legally do this.
2017-10-2
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I appreciate DJI advertising replicates this but their pilots are qualified and have permission from the aviation authorities for a commercial operation so not illegal. If you didn’t obtain that permission then this is an illegal flight given the distance from people and buildings not in your control (including privacy laws) and the fact that this is in a built up area defines it as congested. Gained permission from just the park simply prevents adding trespassing to the list! You could be heavily fined and banned from flying anything if the authorities find this and you. That aside, it’s a great piece footage.
2017-10-2
Use props
OneMatt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 155984 ft
Canada

Another click bait title.

"I did something illegal! Let me post the evidence online!".

Fool.
2017-10-3
Use props
Bright Spark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

A bit harsh - we need to obey regs, but it is very hard to operate legally, at least in UK.
The best hope for us I think is, were instititions like the national trust to offer permits on certain organised days for photography , they could make money, and we could enjoy the hobby.
Long shot? Probably, but w could we move on?

2017-10-3
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I’ve been to 17 different flight locations across the UK - never broke a single law or reg, never been asked to land and never had any complaints or crashes but there again, I don’t take my drones to Alton Towers or fly them over stately homes, cities or in front of peoples bedroom windows and I don’t chase airplanes around airports!! The reg’s are fair in the UK IMO
2017-10-3
Use props
Bright Spark
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Sounds like you have a better approach than me! I would be very grateful indeed if you could offer any loctions I could use.
I've not managed to obtain landowner' s permission to fly anywhere, and was warned off even on empty clifftops.!
2017-10-3
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3
lvl.4
Israel

ACW Posted at 2017-10-2 23:56
I appreciate DJI advertising replicates this but their pilots are qualified and have permission from the aviation authorities for a commercial operation so not illegal. If you didn’t obtain that permission then this is an illegal flight given the distance from people and buildings not in your control (including privacy laws) and the fact that this is in a built up area defines it as congested. Gained permission from just the park simply prevents adding trespassing to the list! You could be heavily fined and banned from flying anything if the authorities find this and you. That aside, it’s a great piece footage.

No, actually that's not the case. Not always. On the front page of the forum system DJI picks out the best footage from forum messages, shot by regular joes like you and me. That's what I was referring to.
2017-10-3
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Rawsome Posted at 2017-10-2 19:27
You are aware that Transport Canada is about to tighten the the regulations and this doesn't help our cause.
Just because the management of Calypso "ok'ed" it doesn't mean you are not flying your bird against the law.
If your spark would have gone bananas because of all the metal and slides and crashed in to the crowd you'd be having a hell of time right now.

I support you 100%.  For us to have the right to fly our drones, we must follow each and every rules defined by our country in this case Transport Canada.  There is no exception to these regulations.

Follow the Regulations or Land your Drone for good.
2017-10-3
Use props
fans44fb5809
lvl.3
Canada

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-10-2 18:27
It is a great video, not sure what the Canadian rules say since I see that's where you are. Here in the U.S., flying over people is a big no-no.

good insight!
2017-10-3
Use props
Bright Spark
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Well the regs are not fair IMHO.  I can't meet them so flying is as good as banned.
Model aircraft were effectively outlawed years ago, but no one cared much.
You can fly a "drone", whatever that is, at a model club, but the point of photography requires different venues.
When an inductrix has the camera quality of a spark- which it will-, perhaps sub 100 gram craft will be exempt.
Wouldn't count on it!
2017-10-3
Use props
Frangu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19849 ft
United States

nice video, illegal probably most definitely
2017-10-3
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Frangu Posted at 2017-10-3 10:32
nice video, illegal probably most definitely

I agree.  I've been to the water park and definitely the spark was illegally flown regardless of the permission obtained.  But then again, is getting permission enough to break regulation?
2017-10-3
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_Kf4iPA3 Posted at 2017-10-3 05:42
No, actually that's not the case. Not always. On the front page of the forum system DJI picks out the best footage from forum messages, shot by regular joes like you and me. That's what I was referring to.

Please point out one that you consider to be 'illegal'...
2017-10-3
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bright Spark Posted at 2017-10-3 09:56
Well the regs are not fair IMHO.  I can't meet them so flying is as good as banned.
Model aircraft were effectively outlawed years ago, but no one cared much.
You can fly a "drone", whatever that is, at a model club, but the point of photography requires different venues.

The UK CAA has an effective drone code in place which is sanctioned and approved by the Department of Transport - I fail to grasp how this makes model aircraft outlawed in the UK? And I have never flown my drones at model aircraft clubs - there are thousands of places to legally fly drones in the UK without breaking any aviation or privacy laws that provide stunning settings for aerial videography and photography - you just need to make the effort to find them and be prepared to travel to them.
2017-10-3
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3
lvl.4
Israel

ACW Posted at 2017-10-3 12:07
Please point out one that you consider to be 'illegal'...

The videos on the front page of the forums are picked out by DJI from specific user messages, so they point to specific users. I don't want to point fingers at specific users. But check out the videos there, and you will see some footage shot over cities, over landmarks etc.
2017-10-3
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_Kf4iPA3 Posted at 2017-10-3 12:15
The videos on the front page of the forums are picked out by DJI from specific user messages, so they point to specific users. I don't want to point fingers at specific users. But check out the videos there, and you will see some footage shot over cities, over landmarks etc.

How do you know that the pilots who made the videos are not FAA certified with part 107 and have permission from the FAA to make the videos that DJI use for it's forum/marketing? Some of the people who fly drones are actually permitted to use their drones in areas that others are not - you need to ask the person the question before assuming that an 'average Joe' has been plucked from a forum and a multi billion dollar organisation that is heavily regulated is openly supporting illegal drone activity on a public website which could massively impact on the credibility of the organisation at Government level. I think you'll find that a number of checks are carried out before footage is used by DJI.
2017-10-3
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3
lvl.4
Israel

ACW Posted at 2017-10-3 12:24
How do you know that the pilots who made the videos are not FAA certified with part 107 and have permission from the FAA to make the videos that DJI use for it's forum/marketing? Some of the people who fly drones are actually permitted to use their drones in areas that others are not - you need to ask the person the question before assuming that an 'average Joe' has been plucked from a forum and a multi billion dollar organisation that is heavily regulated is openly supporting illegal drone activity on a public website which could massively impact on the credibility of the organisation at Government level. I think you'll find that a number of checks are carried out before footage is used by DJI.

Some probably are, not all. Like I said, I don't want to point fingers at specific users. Click on the videos and find out.
2017-10-3
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

ACW Posted at 2017-10-3 12:24

You are right that users and DJI may have the necessary certifications and received exemptions to fly where normally prohibited by regulation.  But some points to make on that.  I'm about to make some statements, and this is a much a test of my understanding of the regulations as anything else, so knowledgeable people feel free to correct me:

It's my understanding that Part 107 certification does not grant a pilot any special rights to fly in places that hobbyist can't.  Part 107 certification allows the individual the right to profit from their drone (use it for commercial purposes).  Hobbyists and certified pilots are covered by the same restrictions.

To get an allowance to fly when and where normally prohibited, an individual must make a request to the FAA, cite the date, time, flight plan and purpose, and if granted it's for a one time exemption specific to the request made.

Now people can tell me if I understand it correctly or if I'm on Colorado Marijuana.
2017-10-3
Use props
Bright Spark
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Well model aircraft can realistically only be flown at clubs where many criteria must be satisfied, (such as limits on noise , nearby housing), before the local council will grant permission to operate and which can be revoked at any time. Proper clubs insist on insurance and adherence to tight safety rules, and are affiliated to the BMFA. Inspite of this many are under pressure and forced to close, and most council byelaws prohibit their use in all public parks.
Now no one wants to fly their spark more than me, but a quick look at http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/feature/gadget/where-fly-drone-in-uk-abroad-3620507/ reveals that London, New Forest, Lake District, Peak District, to name just a few have no fly status.
I just love taking aerial shots, but I wish someone could tell me where I can do it, not where I can't!
2017-10-3
Use props
Viking-Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

Good piece of footage, but I see the point that other people are making about the illegality of it. In Spain you need to be a certified drone driver and have a liability insurance policy that covers a huge amount of money, plus you do not think the law is so strict here, you can not fly above busy houses or places of course.
2017-10-3
Use props
fans77af12ae
New
United Kingdom

More people have been killed by a kitchen toaster, no one has ever has been killed by a drone ever!  Let’s not mention gun laws, governments reactions to drones is somewhat disproportionate to other methods that we choose or fall victim to as ways to harm or injure
2017-10-3
Use props
medyq69
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15358 ft
Poland

Nice video, cool shots

if its illegal - dont know how its in your country. In Poland from last year with spark (less than 0,6 kg) all is easier LINK - u cant fly mainly over military,gov and public objects like libraries, schools, , ambassy, factories, ports, power plants etc but cities itself are allowed

For airports its more complicated. If u are in airport controled zone CTR but its 1km from airports itself, u can fly below 30m with spark. If its heavier dron and airport zone is bigger than 6km, u can fly only if its 6km from airport andbelow 100m (in both cases if natural object like tree or building is higher than this height limit - u can reach object height). If distance is smaller than mentioned 1km/6km (depend on dron weight) u need permission and license - but its not impossible (LINK).

So if its spark u can fly in parks, beach, between buildings in city, over streets etc

If u have dron 0,6-25kg u have got more  problem also if there is no airport conttoled zones nearby ;) without proper license distance from people, cars, and energy lines cant be less than 30m and less than 100m from city border ;) u cant also over national parks etc   With license u can fly in cities but distance to people "must be safe"

Last weekend we played with spark in park over people,  cops on duty also watched and took a photos while wife  gesture controled spark and he tracked her between people - gesture is still 'wow' for many people and kids ;)
2017-10-3
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3
lvl.4
Israel

That's pretty cool!
What does the law say about landmarks? If I take a circle quickshot around the Palace of Culture and Science in Warsaw, would that be legal? seems it would be from your post...
Or above Lazienky Park in summer?...
2017-10-3
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-10-3 13:10
You are right that users and DJI may have the necessary certifications and received exemptions to fly where normally prohibited by regulation.  But some points to make on that.  I'm about to make some statements, and this is a much a test of my understanding of the regulations as anything else, so knowledgeable people feel free to correct me:

It's my understanding that Part 107 certification does not grant a pilot any special rights to fly in places that hobbyist can't.  Part 107 certification allows the individual the right to profit from their drone (use it for commercial purposes).  Hobbyists and certified pilots are covered by the same restrictions.

It is my understanding that drone operators in the US for those who do not have part 107 have their flights regulated by local laws for model aircraft and may not profit in any way from the use of the airspace with their drone. The laws are very tight and heavily regulated by the AMA as are not regulated directly by the FAA for recreational use which is why the US courts recently prohibited the FAA from making drone registration for recreational use mandatory.
If you have part 107 and intend to profit from the flight then the flight is regulated directly by the FAA and they have different regs than the AMA. If an operator wishes to fly outside of the 107 regs then he/she needs to apply for a permission from the FAA and that permission can last for one flight or over a year depending on the risk involved. For example, if the OP on this post has part 107 and was granted permission by the FAA to fly over the water park and the water park management hired his services for an advertisement for the park then this video would be totally legal providing the water park made it clear to their customers using the faciltiies that they may be on camera for a production video that day. If I just took my Spark out of the bag and flew over this park for my own amusement then yeah - court case waiting to happen!
2017-10-3
Use props
medyq69
lvl.3
Poland

djiuser_Kf4iPA3 Posted at 2017-10-3 15:55
That's pretty cool!
What does the law say about landmarks? If I take a circle quickshot around the Palace of Culture and Science in Warsaw, would that be legal? seems it would be from your post...
Or above Lazienky Park in summer?...

IMO its legal now with spark near Palace - despite municipality has many depts in Palace of Culture and Warsaw is owner of building. Ofc last year one chinese tourist  was punished 1y jail for flaying above Old Town - but i dont know what was the dron weight and if it was before or after september when law dron was updated.

About Lazienki atm i dont know how it is cuz near are so many embassy etc and u cant take a photos - cop force u to hide cameras when u walk near them - imo this video was made in 2015 with  permission of  municipality. But can be wrong. I will try to get info about that cuz also wanted to record few shots in Łazienki with daughter

Atm people use drons in Warsaw (in city - not outside city borders) but changes in law are 'fresh" and owners can be still confused - even if law in liberal now, everything depend from people who check you and u dont know if u can fly in this place until u get fine ;)
2017-10-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

medyq69 Posted at 2017-10-4 00:45
IMO its legal now with spark near Palace - despite municipality has many depts in Palace of Culture and Warsaw is owner of building. Ofc last year one chinese tourist  was punished 1y jail for flaying above Old Town - but i dont know what was the dron weight and if it was before or after september when law dron was updated.

About Lazienki atm i dont know how it is cuz near are so many embassy etc and u cant take a photos - cop force u to hide cameras when u walk near them - imo this video this video was made in 2015 with  permission of  municipality. But can be wrong. I will try to get info about that cuz also wanted to record few shots in Łazienki with daughter

Nice video.
Only looks  a bit over exposed to me.
2017-10-4
Use props
medyq69
lvl.3
Poland

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-10-4 03:05
Nice video.
Only looks  a bit over exposed to me.

Nice video but i mailed them today  if flying dron is allowed - and sadly  no. To many gov buildings and embassies nearby
2017-10-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

medyq69 Posted at 2017-10-4 04:44
Nice video but i mailed them today  if flying dron is allowed - and sadly  no. To many gov buildings and embassies nearby

I'm not sure about Poland, but in NL the owner of a building can't decide if it's legal to fly there.
The government (legislation) can.
Unless you go down the road of applying for a permit and have all the paperwork necessary (that costs a lot of money in NL EVERY YEAR)
2017-10-4
Use props
HomePoint
lvl.4
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

One thing that everyone forgets is that if it became legal to fly a drone like the OP posted, then everyone in the park would want to fly their drone to capture that moment in the park.  Maybe not now, but in a few years when everyone's phone is able to fly.  Imagine how pants your time there would be if every single person at the park was trying to capture the moment.  The air would be full of camera's racing and crashing overhead.  Eventually nobody would go to these places because of all the frigging phones buzzing overhead.  Forget about the laws, think of how bad it would be.
2017-10-4
Use props
Bright Spark
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Bit like dogs really.
2017-10-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

HomePoint Posted at 2017-10-4 11:36
One thing that everyone forgets is that if it became legal to fly a drone like the OP posted, then everyone in the park would want to fly their drone to capture that moment in the park.  Maybe not now, but in a few years when everyone's phone is able to fly.  Imagine how pants your time there would be if every single person at the park was trying to capture the moment.  The air would be full of camera's racing and crashing overhead.  Eventually nobody would go to these places because of all the frigging phones buzzing overhead.  Forget about the laws, think of how bad it would be.

New feature on the iPhone XXXX
(with 4 prop's)
On topic: most laws happen to be there for a reason indeed.
2017-10-4
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules