Question about batteries !?!??!
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sebas0911
lvl.3
Flight distance : 152024 ft

Canada

Hello folks, when should we stop using a battery? 90% health? 80%? 70%? I have tried to find the response by reading the battery book but no answer. Someone's know?

Thanks
2017-10-2
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Are you talking about at what stage you should end your flight or what can you be more specific in your question.
2017-10-3
Use props
Turborallyes
New
France

You can adjust this in your parameters. I put 20%.
2017-10-3
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

To OP .....

You stop using a battery when it no longer performs the required function.

The average P3 battery will give you about 18 - 19mins general flight with camera operating. As battery health deteriorates - that flight time will reduce ... till finally you are just not getting decent flight time.

Its all to do with Internal Resistance of the cells. As they age / get used - the resistance climbs and battery works harder to provide the power ... you will see the battery marker on the line display move left faster as the battery gets worse. You will have warnings of 30% etc. at shorter time flight etc.

It used to be 200cycles and battery was dead ... actually FW decided to stop using it - battery could in fact still be good. When I discussed this with DJI Techs - they told me that the 200cycle life limit was removed from FW and now the battery can fly, be used well past 200 ... its now user choice.

To be honest ... do not waste time worrying about the % health reading as its only approximate and literally meaningless. Go fly ... you will soon understand when battery is getting past useful life by the shortening of flight time ... you will also notice battery coming out of AC at higher temperature than usual... due to that higher internal resistance.

Nigel
2017-10-3
Use props
Sebas0911
lvl.3
Flight distance : 152024 ft

Canada

Cool!! Thanks a lot nigel
2017-10-3
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Sebas0911 Posted at 2017-10-3 04:06
Cool!! Thanks a lot nigel

Seems I was only one who understood your question !!

Nigel
2017-10-3
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

It's not a question of how many times a LiPo battery has been charged but a matter of how it has been treated in its life. Charging a hot battery you have just flown with shortens the battery life much faster than if you let it cool down before charging. Likewise, the temperature you store the battery will mean a part. Therefore, it is not to provide a specific number of flights before ..............

Can tell I have a 15 year old 4-cell LiPo battery I'm still using for a fixed model fly I often fly a trip with. The battery has only lost 15% of its capacity over the years. How many times it has been uploaded I have not counted but it is definitely over 500 times. I actually store the battery in the refrigerator with the other LiPo without the automatic I have.

Regards Leif.
2017-10-3
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Charging a hot battery in fact causes lack of full charge due to resistance climbing with heat ... to damage would need a really hot battery with charger. Ask the Car racing / Air PYlon racing guys ...

The DJI system counts charge cycles for health % ... and therein lies its biggest error.

Nigel
2017-10-3
Use props
Toorboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 657382 ft
United Kingdom

good question my p3p is two years old now and the batteries are at 80% life now
but still going good for now   
2017-10-9
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

When you see a change in the behavior of the battery is when I would start to pull it.
2017-10-9
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Don't forget that even a battery that is not flight suitable is still useful as a bench pack ... updating / sim use etc.

Nigel
2017-10-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules