Near NFZ Lock / Geo Fencing is ANNOYING! No Internet = No Fly.
3328 21 2017-10-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

OK so I live near a class G airport... Yellow zone NOT a NFZ! SUPER ANNOYING to have to unlock this thing EVERY SINGLE TIME I FLY in my back yard. I had to add the Goshen Mun Airport using the DJI website and every time I try to fly in my back yard I have to be connected to the internet to unlock and fly. I went to a nearby park where I had no internet (accidently left my phone at home) and could not fly due to this Geo Fence / Near NFZ crap.  It appears there used to be an option to turn it off now the option has vanished. PLEASE bring back the option to turn it off!! I am a big boy and am aware of where I am flying! I have been in contact with the Airport director and have been granted/given special instruction and permission to fly in the area. Since this is a YELLOW zone there is NO NEED TO REGULATE ME!

If anyone knows of a way to turn this big brother "feature" off PLEASE share.
Perhaps DJI can STOP marking Yellow zones as NFZ's ?!?!?!

iOS v10.3.3
DJI Go 4 v4.1.12

Blue Dot is me... backyard.

GeoFence.JPG
2017-10-3
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

OK so I live near a class G airport . . . Goshen Mun Airport

Are you sure about that? I just checked the sectional chart and it looks to me like the airspace around GSH is a class E transition area -- and I'm not sure DJI's Geo takes altitude into consideration in determining which type of zone it thinks you're in. So while you might technically be able to fly in class G airspace near Goshen Municipal, I believe Geo will treat it like class E regardless of your AGL height. And when I say "treat it like class E", I really just mean that it will consider you to be in a yellow zone regardless of your height, because in reality Geo doesn't make a distinction between different types of airspace other than its own red / yellow / enhanced / green categories.

It appears there used to be an option to turn [geofencing] off now the option has vanished.

Not exactly. There was an older geofencing system (I forget the name or if it even had one) that DJI allowed you to select instead of the current Geo system, but Geo is actually more flexible and permissive, which is probably why they eliminated the older one. In other words, yes, you could technically turn Geo off, but that just reverted to the older and more restrictive / less flexible system, so I doubt that bringing it back would help you.

I am a big boy and am aware of where I am flying! I have been in contact with the Airport director and have been granted/given special instruction and permission to fly in the area. Since this is a YELLOW zone there is NO NEED TO REGULATE ME!

You should check out the video at the beginning of this thread, in particular the part about flying within a yellow zone when you don't have an internet connection (starting at around 2:14).
2017-10-3
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the response! (It is a Class G since it has no No ATC / uncontrolled.)
Also the entire point of this thread was missed! I have added the Airport to the Unlocking List.. it continually NAGS me to unlock day in and day out!
If there is not internet it means I don't get to fly. This is ridiculous and it needs to be addressed. I should not have to unlock this thing EVERY SINGLE DAY.
Did I mention it is ANNOYING!??!

Ill sign the paper, click the box or whatever I need to do... PLEASE turn this silly restriction off!

2017-10-3
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Bob Brown Posted at 2017-10-3 06:29
Thanks for the response! (It is a Class G since it has no No ATC / uncontrolled.)
Also the entire point of this thread was missed! I have added the Airport to the Unlocking List.. it continually NAGS me to unlock day in and day out!
If there is not internet it means I don't get to fly. This is ridiculous and it needs to be addressed. I should not have to unlock this thing EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Sorry on your frustration.  If you believe you have authorization to operate in a Restricted Zone, please contact flysafe@dji.com
2017-10-3
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

one frustrating issue i have, not really an issue just me venting, since not stopping me.   but i was fishing trip off an island on vacation no airports for 10s of miles (its the ocean), my dji go app alerted me to unpaved airports... like wtf? how?  the island doesn't have airports, its private and only way on and off was via boats.  but on my fishing trip i took we were out 20 + miles off the island, beautiful day, took my mavic up, why not!?  dji go app popped that dumb alert up..  like wtf..unpaved airports in the ocean?  stupid thing..  im guessing maybe its a failsafe for the geo system when no internet connection and nothing near by?  i dont know.. i did get a red alert later on about my RTH route was in a NFZ as well.. again, untrue..  
2017-10-3
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-10-3 08:11
Sorry on your frustration.  If you believe you have authorization to operate in a Restricted Zone, please contact

That's just it it is NOT a restricted zone. "NFZ"... it is Class G airspace - Uncontrolled and a simple 1 time warning should be enough already. I do understand warning people of the danger and risks but when you have it shoved in your face EVERY SINGLE TIME you want to fly in your back yard it is just silly.

So how do I word this to flysafe so they will remove this Airstrip from the restrictions or better yet turn this dang Geo Prison thing off completely?!!?!
2017-10-3
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Bob Brown Posted at 2017-10-3 12:59
That's just it it is NOT a restricted zone. "NFZ"... it is Class G airspace - Uncontrolled and a simple 1 time warning should be enough already. I do understand warning people of the danger and risks but when you have it shoved in your face EVERY SINGLE TIME you want to fly in your back yard it is just silly.

So how do I word this to flysafe so they will remove this Airstrip from the restrictions or better yet turn this dang Geo Prison thing off completely?!!?!

Just advise them on what you are experiencing what you are requesting of them to do.
2017-10-3
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Happened to me again yesterday... went to the River Reserve and forgot my phone... had to drive back to my house to get my phone so I could tether internet and unlock the NFZ.
Emails to flysafe@dji.com go unresolved without a solution... I WOULD REALLY LIKE THE OPTION TO TURN THIS OFF!
2017-10-9
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

SO finally got a response back from flysafe@dji.com...

"Dear Bob Brown,

Thank you for contacting DJI and sorry for the inconvenience caused to you because of NFZ issue.
1. As checked in GEO MAP :http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map location :GOSHEN MUNI GOSHEN MUNI is in yellow authorization zone. Please see the following picture.
Customer can unlock the yellow authorization zone for maximum 3 days individually.
2. At present, DJI approves a maximum unlocking period of 3 months at a time.
If you would like to unlock the yellow authorization zone for maximum 3 months, please provide us with all materials and information below and we will help you to unlock it with a custom solution.

1) A form of Identification: a copy of your driver’s license or a copy of the front of a major credit card or a copy of a national identification card, etc.
2) The attached disclaimer must be signed, confirming that you are fully responsible for your flights.
3) Unlock location longitude, latitude and the radius .
Please offer me the info in the format like longitude: 1.123456; latitude: 1.123456, radius: 500m.
4) Unlock time. For example from March 24th 2016 to April 24th 2016
5) Your DJI Account email

After all the correct information forwarded to us, we will unlock the aircraft in our server as soon as possible."

OR

I COULD JUST SELL MY DJI AND BUY ANOTHER BRAND?!?!?!?
This GEO Locking system SUCKS that it cant be turned off... it should be a FEATURE not a DEFECT!
If I was in an unfamiliar area/city and had no clue I may use it to keep myself out of trouble.. but nothing more.
But THAT SHOULD BE MY CHOICE!! - Strongly considering selling this Mavic and getting another brand; this is BS.
and we all know what this means... "we will unlock the aircraft in our server as soon as possible." *cough*

Not liking DJI so much anymore... this GEO System is annoying and NOT something I want on my Drone.

2017-10-10
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 2017-10-10 02:14
SO finally got a response back from ...

"Dear Bob Brown,

Strongly considering selling this Mavic and getting another brand

Out of curiosity, what would you buy instead?
2017-10-10
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-10-10 02:16

Not sure would have to do some research on GEO Systems apparently...
Maybe a GoPro Karma, Autel X-Star Premium or maybe even a self-build.

I flew RC copters and built a few quads... I am sure I could find/build a system without this retarded GEO System forced on me. (no way to turn it off!) I suppose if I did not live "at" an airport this would not be such a huge problem for me... but no way to perm unlock or turn off this GEO system lock just kills the fun in flying this thing. I have to go to DJI website and unlock... get the txt and blah blah every 3 days... then have to deal with the stupid popup on my GO app everyday I fly.. It sucks.
2017-10-10
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 2017-10-10 02:21
Not sure would have to do some research on GEO Systems apparently...
Maybe a GoPro Karma, Autel X-Star Premium or maybe even a self-build.

I believe both the GoPro and Autel drones you mentioned also include geofencing. Yes, you could build one yourself that doesn't, but you'd be hard-pressed to build one with the same capabilities as a Mavic.
2017-10-10
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I found a "work-around" until I can figure something else out... a bit of work but much less than filing a form blah blah blah.
The only other issue now is the daily screen nags... you know the ones I am talking about if you live near an airport. aarrrgh!

2017-10-10
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-10-10 02:24
I believe both the GoPro and Autel drones you mentioned also include geofencing. Yes, you could build one yourself that doesn't, but you'd be hard-pressed to build one with the same capabilities as a Mavic.

I hear ya! But I am willing to build if that means no more of this constant nag and ruined flights. I should vlog the problem and post on youtube... so all can see how VERY annoying it is. If you have not experienced it for yourself... TRY IT!.. drive to a nearby Class G and try to fly with no internet... and if you do have internet look at what you have to do to get flight!  PLEASE go try it ... I am not just being a cry baby here.

I do this every single day I want to fly in my back yard or a nearby park... (starting to repeat myself; sorry!)

All done posting for now... looking for a perm solution.
2017-10-10
Use props
KC5LAF
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

These restrictions are only going to get stricter with the rising popularity of drones, if I were you I would start building now, otherwise submit the proper forms and do it every three months, with the amount of time you have put into this thread, you could have already prepared the forms and had them ready to be sent for the next two years.  
2017-10-16
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-10-10 02:16

I am starting to see some pretty amazing options coming...
I am sure they come with "lock down" also though so not getting my hopes up too much. ;)
2017-10-19
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

All of my unlocking plans have been removed from my account and now I can not create unlocking plans?!?!?!?
I have tried with SMS and with CC .. both end in SUCCESSFUL but do nothing.

What the heck DJI? I cant fly in my own back yard because I live near an UNRESTRICTED CLASS G AIRPORT?!?!?!

I think I have a DJI Mavic Pro for sale... I am SOOOOOO tired of this.
2017-11-25
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

After upgrading DJI Go and the Mavic RC/AC to the latest firmware I was able to unlock.
Again I am being forced to upgrade... would have rather waited as DJI has a pretty bad track record with software updates.

Still considering the sale... perhaps this spring when I am forced to upgrade again. ;)
2017-11-25
Use props
Cher
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1377087 ft
  • >>>

Bob Brown Posted at 2017-10-10 02:14
SO finally got a response back from flysafe@dji.com...

"Dear Bob Brown,

Hey...I just had the very same experience 2 days ago. I contacted DJI with several screen shots attached showing I was attempting to fly in class G airspace within a 5 mile vicinity of a private airport. I also received the same response/email as Bob Brown...I agree this sucks, but as a commercial pilot, I have no other choice than to add this to my pre-flight planning.

Question: Can anyone tell me how to get my flight controller serial number data entered into my DJI GO4 app?
2018-5-7
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cher Posted at 2018-5-7 10:50
Hey...I just had the very same experience 2 days ago. I contacted DJI with several screen shots attached showing I was attempting to fly in class G airspace within a 5 mile vicinity of a private airport. I also received the same response/email as Bob Brown...I agree this sucks, but as a commercial pilot, I have no other choice than to add this to my pre-flight planning.

Question: Can anyone tell me how to get my flight controller serial number data entered into my DJI GO4 app?

I have no more issues flying near the airport. DJI hooked me up and fixed the issue.
Custom unlock for a 1 mile radius of my home coordinates and now that the unlock is uploaded to the AC this is really no longer an issue.

2018-5-7
Use props
Andreas Minninger
New

Germany

My nice almost reachd flying day with dji

Today nice weather wnat to take some  Pictures on a windpark waiting Area bevore the Windpark is build up.
Nearby a Airfield  atleast since 1997 out of  Service no Flightservices no Radar no Lights nothing  beside the Runway
Yello Zone get a Permission, (Forgot to lad it at home but even no Hint on HP to  Bring Permission on Coptor and DJI Go bevor starting to a "Tal der Ahnungslosen" with no LTE no Mobile signal.
So it happend as many of my Pilotmates here Radio shows NFZ no Mobile signal no chance to aknowledege the Permit and finaly No Flight.

I feel like in Kindergarden beeing accused by kindergarten teacher of peeing in the sandbox!

This is was a Yello Zone and if u try to fligh in a Zone with no Mobil Signal nor INternet or something liek that, your only CHance is to do like me
1) I am Happy of havoing a nice Bikeride through the Countryside to reach this area
2) I will use the time i spare todigitaly revise my FIlmmaterial  to have a nice BBQ this evening
3) Thinking over chances to overdo this Big Brother is watching you thing with no means to Politicans, cause careless idiots making  and posting thrilling Videos on Youtube showing airbus in landing is not limitated by such Regulations for all ( thinking about how many Drones flying in Airportareas are manupulated or from China/Coreas or somewhere
4) selling the dji drone and buing one to leave it on my decission wher to fly and where not

so dji has several chances to get my convienience back
1 Allowing if Zonepermission is your loved child make shure to be able to load all needen software on DJI GO App on Radio and  on drone at home at my pc and not in the flieds with no Mobile Signal.
I will defenitely not ride miles an miles through the Country to saee  at point of interest no Mobile Signal no internet no chance to fligh here with my 4k 1440 Euro DJI Drone, If this happens it only meke mie upset

kr
Andreas
2018-5-11
Use props
TexasAerials
Second Officer
Flight distance : 566952 ft

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2017-10-3 11:42
one frustrating issue i have, not really an issue just me venting, since not stopping me.   but i was fishing trip off an island on vacation no airports for 10s of miles (its the ocean), my dji go app alerted me to unpaved airports... like wtf? how?  the island doesn't have airports, its private and only way on and off was via boats.  but on my fishing trip i took we were out 20 + miles off the island, beautiful day, took my mavic up, why not!?  dji go app popped that dumb alert up..  like wtf..unpaved airports in the ocean?  stupid thing..  im guessing maybe its a failsafe for the geo system when no internet connection and nothing near by?  i dont know.. i did get a red alert later on about my RTH route was in a NFZ as well.. again, untrue..

Usually that is catching helipads nearby,  anyone with the space can register their spot as an airstrip with the FAA.  it also probably doesn't get updated if there used to be an airstrip and its been allowed to grow over.  
2018-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules