Using iPad Mini 2 Wifi and Maps
2488 14 2017-10-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Potato
lvl.2
Flight distance : 767349 ft
United States

I bought an iPad Mini 2 and my DJI Spark is shipped on it's way. I was just curious though. If the iPad Mini 2 is hooked up with the wifi from the Spark, how do you get the maps to show up on it? I've downloaded the app and I'm not at home but I have yet to be able to find the Offline Map download feature. Should I reinstall the DJI GO 4 app? I've seen it before and it's in the upper right screen but sometimes it does not show up.

Those that do it in real-time using their phone as a hotspot, the iPad Mini 2 can be hooked up to two wifis at the same time?:
1. Your phone
2. The Spark

It's running the newest iOS.
2017-10-3
Use props
fans99d24711
lvl.2
United States

You can't download the map on Ios. Also you can't be connected to 2 wifis at the same time. the way I do it is I connect the ipad to hotspot run DJI GO 4 app and let it bring the map up. then I connect to the Spark and as long as I'm in that area the map works great.
2017-10-3
Use props
Potato
lvl.2
United States

fans99d24711 Posted at 2017-10-3 08:49
You can't download the map on Ios. Also you can't be connected to 2 wifis at the same time. the way I do it is I connect the ipad to hotspot run DJI GO 4 app and let it bring the map up. then I connect to the Spark and as long as I'm in that area the map works great.

That's what I figured. Thanks for the information! To update the controller's firmware, can you just plug it directly into your computer and update it from the DJI Assistant 2 app or do you have to have another device that has 4G connect to the controller with Wifi?
2017-10-3
Use props
ZukySpark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 226066 ft
Portugal

Using ipad wifi you will not be able to set home point to RC.
2017-10-3
Use props
Potato
lvl.2
United States

ZukySpark Posted at 2017-10-3 09:20
Using ipad wifi you will not be able to set home point to RC.

What do you suggest I do? I have an s7 edge but bought an iPad Mini 2 (not cellular capable) just for the Spark.
2017-10-3
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Potato Posted at 2017-10-3 09:55
What do you suggest I do? I have an s7 edge but bought an iPad Mini 2 (not cellular capable) just for the Spark.

The iPad without cellular is the problem.  I tried my non cellular ipad and had issues, switched to my other ipad (cellular) and works like a charm ...
2017-10-3
Use props
JMR58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 627966 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Potato Posted at 2017-10-3 08:57
That's what I figured. Thanks for the information! To update the controller's firmware, can you just plug it directly into your computer and update it from the DJI Assistant 2 app or do you have to have another device that has 4G connect to the controller with Wifi?

To update the controller firmware you can't use DJi Assistant 2 (that is only for the drone)
For the controller you have your device to be connected with your "Home" wifi or 4G and open the DJi 4 go app to do the upgrade.
2017-10-3
Use props
Potato
lvl.2
United States

Sparky_17 Posted at 2017-10-3 10:00
The iPad without cellular is the problem.  I tried my non cellular ipad and had issues, switched to my other ipad (cellular) and works like a charm ...

Okay thanks, would setting the RTH from where the aircraft physically is before I take off instead of where the controller is would work?
2017-10-3
Use props
Potato
lvl.2
United States

JMR58 Posted at 2017-10-3 10:12
To update the controller firmware you can't use DJi Assistant 2.
You have to be connected with your "Home" wifi or 4G and open the DJi 4 go app to do the controller upgrade.

Got it thanks!
2017-10-3
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Canada

Potato Posted at 2017-10-3 10:13
Okay thanks, would setting the RTH from where the aircraft physically is before I take off instead of where the controller is would work?

Setting the RTH on the remote sets the RTH of where the AC is at the time.  Don't think you can set the RTH of the remote; but I could be wrong.
2017-10-3
Use props
ZukySpark
lvl.4
Portugal

The hardware that gives the ipad cellular is the same that gives him the GPS, is thet same component. So without cellular ( without gps) you will not be able to set home point for the remote
2017-10-3
Use props
Potato
lvl.2
United States

Sparky_17 Posted at 2017-10-3 10:16
Setting the RTH on the remote sets the RTH of where the AC is at the time.  Don't think you can set the RTH of the remote; but I could be wrong.

So I can basically set the aircraft down before I fly, set the RTH to where the aircraft is at that current moment, fly and if RTH to home happens, it should arrive to where I set the RTH before I took off? Fine with me, I don't plan on having it follow me with the controller anyways. If I did, whatever device I would have to have it follow me would have GPS in it, makes sense.
2017-10-3
Use props
ZukySpark
lvl.4
Portugal

Replace to the cellular version? If you can...
2017-10-3
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Canada

Potato Posted at 2017-10-3 10:19
So I can basically set the aircraft down before I fly, set the RTH to where the aircraft is at that current moment, fly and if RTH to home happens, it should arrive to where I set the RTH before I took off? Fine with me, I don't plan on having it follow me with the controller anyways. If I did, whatever device I would have to have it follow me would have GPS in it, makes sense.

Best practice is launch your spark to 10m and set your home point .. this is the rule I follow.  When the RTH is initiated, it will land within inches of where it took off.  
2017-10-3
Use props
Potato
lvl.2
United States

Sparky_17 Posted at 2017-10-3 10:35
Best practice is launch your spark to 10m and set your home point .. this is the rule I follow.  When the RTH is initiated, it will land within inches of where it took off.

Thanks!

So my steps are as follows after all the firmware is updated for the aircraft, remote, and batteries.

1. Open up DJI GO 4 on home wifi or my cell hotspot to load the maps and don't close the app.
2. Connect to the Spark with the controller but wifi from iPad mini 2 to controller since OTG to controller is now limited.
3. Callibrate compass, IMU, and make sure there is no interference nearby.
4. Set RTH following your best practice where the aircraft actually is (since I have wifi only iPad Mini 2, I'm okay with this seeing as I don't need it to follow me with the remote)
5. Fly!

Thanks for all the information everyone!
2017-10-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules