Gimbal jerks to side and video stops after 1-2 mins
1073 10 2017-10-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scoopieb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 186398 ft
United States

I've been having problems lately with my P4 and the gimbal going all crazy.  After about 1-2 minutes of filming the gimbal/camera turns to the side, down, and jerks around and then the video stops recording.  I have the latest firmware on the AC & RC and have recallibrated everything.  I don't think it's overheating since I've tried it in mild temps.  I've also tried flying in different locations and in areas with little radio or magnetic interference.  I'm using a scandisck extreme pro and have tried other Micro SDs formatted in and out of drone.  Same problem.  It did not have this problem prior to the July firmware update.  Any ideas what could cause this or how to fix it? Thanks.

2017-10-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

You could try to go back one firmware version.

RedHotPoker
2017-10-3
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

I had exact same errors ended up sending in for repair as the p4p became un flyable lost imu status gimbal unstable and erratic behaviour not reading battery status.  Etc etc
2017-10-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Too bad a cold IMU and gimbal calibration couldn't fix this mess...

RedHotPoker
2017-10-3
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

This is a known issue with the latest firmware on the P4.  It only happens at 4K 30fps resolution.

There is a beta firmware that a lot of people are using that fixes the problem, we haven't been given a release date for a proper firmware update yet.
2017-10-4
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-10-4 00:43
This is a known issue with the latest firmware on the P4.  It only happens at 4K 30fps resolution.

There is a beta firmware that a lot of people are using that fixes the problem, we haven't been given a release date for a proper firmware update yet.

It doesnt only happen at 4k resoluton i was running at 1080 when my drone failed
2017-10-4
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Hellsgate Posted at 2017-10-4 00:52
It doesnt only happen at 4k resoluton i was running at 1080 when my drone failed

Your aircraft is a P4P, this is a P4, different aircraft and different firmware.
2017-10-4
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would agree with Nigels answer in post number 5 as being the most likely cause. One way to prove it would be to video in a resolution other than 4k @ 30 fps (1080P, 2.7k etc). I have the V02.00.0300 beta firmware running on my P4 at present. And although not had a lot of flight time I am satisfied that they know how to resolve the problem.

2017-10-4
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

Ahh ok i didnt think there would be that much difference my bad lol
2017-10-4
Use props
scoopieb
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for the info!!  I'll test it tomorrow, but I bet you are right. I was always running 4k 30fps when it started happening.  I'll post my findings.
2017-10-5
Use props
scoopieb
lvl.2
United States

I finally got around to testing and you seem to be right on the money Nigel.  Thank you very much! it's been driving me crazy.  I might even try the betaware if I get brave.  I have a P4 adv too so I might not press my luck and just use that if I need to shoot in 4k.  Thanks again for the help.
2017-10-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules