TIP: Do NOT upgrade firmware before planned flights!
1009 12 2017-10-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lambie
lvl.2

Netherlands

Upgrading firmware is like Russian Roulette: we regularly read about people who need to send in their Mavic Pro, Remote Control and/or Battery for ‘repair’ after a firmware upgrade error. Unfortunately, also my controller got bricked after a FW-upgrade attempt, and went back to the shop (expected turnaround time: 4 weeks). Very annoying, since I now need to cancel my planned flights during my holiday because of shortcomings in the DJI Software. So my advice is: Do NOT upgrade firmware if you really need to fly your Mavic in the upcoming four weeks!
2017-10-4
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

VERY good advice (and sorry to hear about that!). If you get a prompt while out in the field, simply dismiss it -- you can always upgrade later -- why waste your time and battery charge?
2017-10-4
Use props
amima42
lvl.2
Flight distance : 851542 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Very reasonable. I used to always upgrade firmware. Now I don't. Reason is: the firmware bug ruined a few very important shootings for me. And the bug was eventually corrected a few months later. I had unusable Mavic for a few months. Now, after this bug was corrected, I always ask myself: is there any significant reason for me specifically why I need to upgrade? The answer is always no. So I never upgraded since that firmware with bugfix.
2017-10-4
Use props
Thudd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1624787 ft
United States

This is good advice  
2017-10-4
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

You always have to do the upgrade in a place where you have access to the internet. Upgrading based on cellular data will always increase the chance that it won't go through.
2017-10-4
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

I always upgrade the FW. And I have never experienced a really big issue with that.
i do not see some sense on not upgrating.
And I plann my flights. Two days prior, I spend one battery charge upgrating it when needed.
And checking all configurations.
Now, I am without my MP as it's gimball was overloaded.
And I might remain without it, at least 90 days!!!!!
2017-10-4
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-10-4 09:39
You always have to do the upgrade in a place where you have access to the internet. Upgrading based on cellular data will always increase the chance that it won't go through.

He is refering to problems with the firmware after a successfull upgrade / update. Bugs that didn't exist in previous firmware and came with the new one....
Which is very frustating. We are not BETA TESTERS so DJI SHOULD exhaustively test a new firmware before releasing it to public...
2017-10-4
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

When you get right down to it, all of us on this forum are beta testers!
2017-10-4
Use props
ambassador1
lvl.3
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-10-4 09:59
He is refering to problems with the firmware after a successfull upgrade / update. Bugs that didn't exist in previous firmware and came with the new one....
Which is very frustating. We are not BETA TESTERS so DJI SHOULD exhaustively test a new firmware before releasing it to public...

Actually, you/we are beta testers, believe it or not, and its always been this way with initial releases of software and some products. Of course, we are not labeled as such, but outside of small control testing of "beta testers" the real beta test is the first few weeks of a public release, its just a normal part things. Obviously, it would be so much better to not deal with bugs as a paying user...but,  with all the software I use, I can pretty much say thats never going to happen.

In the case of firmware/app updates, just a general rule I go by, if I have a project coming up within a month, I never upgrade anything if things are flying fine haha. I havent upgraded my go app for 4months, no issues, I just know it will work haha.
2017-10-4
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Ideally, DJI would list all the bug fixes in their release notes, which would help users decide whether any fixes or new features might improve their flying experience, but that doesn't seem to happen.
2017-10-4
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

If it works - Do Not touch it! Old proverb I learned having my first car many years ago, still true! Especially for Mavic!
If I have a chance I'll never upgrade neither FW , neither DJI GO!
2017-10-4
Use props
Lambie
lvl.2

Netherlands

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-10-4 09:39

I always upgrade using DJI Assistant 2 on a PC with a stable internet connection; never had any problems until it went wrong during my last attempt (hang at 99%, causing the RC-USB problem). So it seems that Alex' advice "If it works - Do Not touch it!" is the most wise, although it won't allow you to use new features (like QuickShot). But the best situation would be DJI creating proper software/firmware!
2017-10-4
Use props
Notabeginner
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DocAraxá Posted at 2017-10-4 09:55
I always upgrade the FW. And I have never experienced a really big issue with that.
i do not see some sense on not upgrating.
And I plann my flights. Two days prior, I spend one battery charge upgrating it when needed.

DocAraxa good advice always good to use one battery to check settings after FW update.
2017-10-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules