New Purchase Set Up
892 9 2017-10-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JohnChristian
lvl.1
United States

I don't know if anyone has found difficulty in the set up, but this thread is for individuals who get a drone and the DJI Go 4 app does not connect to the controller.  I don't see good instructions on linking these except through this app, which does not automatically recognize anything or through pressing the two (C) buttons + record.  Also, when they say to upgrade to new firmware, it says to put the file on an SD card and put the SD card in the controller, YET there is no sd slot in the controller.  Am I missing something here?  Also, they say there is a wifi name and password on the packaging.  Again, absolutely no detail and I'm left with no real information on how to do this.  I think the goal was for this to be automatic, but in my new drone purchase that was not the case.

Anyone think I got a dud?
2017-10-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Not to be disrespectful, but have you RTFM. ;-)

I don't have a P4 but the preliminary should be similar.

There are also numerous instructional videos on YouTube and Vimeo.

If you are loading the firmware onto the micro sd card,  be sure to unzip it first, and copy-paste the bin file to the sd card, by itself.
Normally, that sd card is then inserted back into the drone.

RedHotPoker

2017-10-4
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha John,

Actually, that process uses a USB adapter for the SD card.  If you have one, you can plug the SD card with the .bin file into the adapter and then the adapter into the USB slot used for the cable connecting the tabet / phone to the Remote Controller.  But you may want to put that off for a bit until you try some other fixes.

Another problem encountered is having your tablet recognize the remote controller as a media device.  The USB cable usually asks if you want to set it up as the default.  With an iOS device, you have to replace the USB cable that came with the Phantom with a Lightning cable.  With an Android tablet you sometimes have to set the USB parameters.

I hope you do not have the P4 Advanced+ (plus).  That one is a little different.  But reading the manual is really helpful.  Most of us read it a couple times while the Phantom is being delivered.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-10-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

I am sorry, there is no specific manual on the package, only a quick start guide, but you can download the users' manual on the app or our official website. For the connecting issue, would you mind telling me the model of your drone and operation procedures for the connection? You need a cable for linking the RC and the mobile device if yours is P4A, not a plus version, then power on the drone, RC and launch the app. If it doesn't recognise it, try another cable or another mobile device. For the firmware upgrade, there is no SD card slot if the RC doesn't have a built-in screen, you can update it via DJI GO 4 app. Or if you are using P4A+, you  can refer to the tutorial below:
2017-10-4
Use props
JohnChristian
lvl.1
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-4 19:06
Not to be disrespectful, but have you RTFM. ;-)

I don't have a P4 but the preliminary should be similar.

Read the manual, sir.

As I said with my examples, which came from Youtube and DJI support videos, I dug pretty deep.  I unzipped it, put it in the drone as well, but that didn't work.

For others trying, the only thing that actually finally worked was using two chords and plugging one chord from ipad device to controller and another chord plugging controller into drone.  That was the only way it actually connected the first time and allowed a firmware refresh.

Cheers.
2017-10-8
Use props
JohnChristian
lvl.1
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-10-4 20:02
Aloha John,

Actually, that process uses a USB adapter for the SD card.  If you have one, you can plug the SD card with the .bin file into the adapter and then the adapter into the USB slot used for the cable connecting the tabet / phone to the Remote Controller.  But you may want to put that off for a bit until you try some other fixes.

Thanks, I'm definitely a manual guy.  The issues I had were not working with that method.  As I stated above, I found lucky by connecting them via 2 cables!  One from Ipad to controller, another from controller to Drone.

Thanks for the message!
2017-10-8
Use props
JohnChristian
lvl.1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-4 21:17
I am sorry, there is no specific manual on the package, only a quick start guide, but you can download the users' manual on the app or our official website. For the connecting issue, would you mind telling me the model of your drone and operation procedures for the connection? You need a cable for linking the RC and the mobile device if yours is P4A, not a plus version, then power on the drone, RC and launch the app. If it doesn't recognise it, try another cable or another mobile device. For the firmware upgrade, there is no SD card slot if the RC doesn't have a built-in screen, you can update it via DJI GO 4 app. Or if you are using P4A+, you  can refer to the tutorial below: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNjPyw0jov8&index=9&list=PL8-vxWY64sBM-fOkD1ld-66C51JRCMnat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJPShAvG3eg&index=5&list=PL8-vxWY64sBM-fOkD1ld-66C51JRCMnat&t=7s

Thank you for your support.  Connecting via cables was the way to go.  It was a little finicky, but i used two cables to connect them all via wires and it communicated with each other enough to get my firmware on the same page.

Now I will be trying to learn more about some little things I've noticed in flying, namely after stopping beginner mode, when I try to fly the aircraft straight on full speed it will fly fast for about 5 seconds then slow itself down.  I assume this is something to do with the modes?  I will post this to a new thread to keep it clean.  But thanks again.
2017-10-8
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JohnChristian Posted at 2017-10-8 10:21
Thanks, I'm definitely a manual guy.  The issues I had were not working with that method.  As I stated above, I found lucky by connecting them via 2 cables!  One from Ipad to controller, another from controller to Drone.

Thanks for the message!

Aloha John,

Mahalo for the success story.  Do you think that will work with the Android devices.  I am going to give it a try.  Good effort!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-10-8
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JohnChristian Posted at 2017-10-8 10:21

Thanks for the message!

Aloha John,

OK, question.  Which ports and cables go where?  There is a standard USB and a micro USB port on the RC.  The Aircraft and device have micro USB ports.  The standard USB port on the RC usually connects to the micro USB port on the device with the daily flying USB cable.  Are you connecting the micro USB port on the Phantom to the RC using the micro USB port on the RC and using the adapter cable supplied by DJI?

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-10-8
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

JohnChristian Posted at 2017-10-8 10:26
Thank you for your support.  Connecting via cables was the way to go.  It was a little finicky, but i used two cables to connect them all via wires and it communicated with each other enough to get my firmware on the same page.

Now I will be trying to learn more about some little things I've noticed in flying, namely after stopping beginner mode, when I try to fly the aircraft straight on full speed it will fly fast for about 5 seconds then slow itself down.  I assume this is something to do with the modes?  I will post this to a new thread to keep it clean.  But thanks again.

The fly speed will be restricted in the Beginner mode, sometimes the controlling of the sticks is also an element which affects the performance of the drome, so I would think it is normal.
2017-10-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules