Can I fly here? Inside and metal structures
1529 10 2017-10-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EskildS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 111650 ft
Norway

Want to do some filming at my work. We have a facility with some steel, this is inside. Is it safe?

Kursrigg_liten.jpg
2017-10-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It will probably switch to ATTI mode due to lack of GPS signal.
And that means max 16ft (5m) height because the vision system is the only reliable system here.
(page 47 of the beloved manual)
- Keep the doors shut to eliminate wind (Spark will be less stable in ATTI mode)
- Make sure RTH height is lower than the roof.
- Put prop guards on and give it a go.
2017-10-5
Use props
EskildS
Second Officer
Norway

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-10-5 02:52
And that means max 16ft (5m) height because the vision system is the only reliable system here.

Thanks, will give it a go!
2017-10-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Oh I forgot, last point:
- Share the outcome here
2017-10-5
Use props
LeChuck71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68786 ft
Germany

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-10-5 02:52

Flying indoor is no  problem at all, you may get a compass error if you get too close to magnetic structures but thats it. It will not go crazy 'cause it cannot compare GPS heading with compass heading so you're fine.

BTW it is not correct that Spark is "less stable" in ATTI mode. Is is complete stable and auto leveling, the difference is that the Spark will drift if you are not in GPS or Vision Mode. The drift is due to external forces and minor errors in leveling - so you have to be ready to stick the Spark ;)

People always think that ATTI is difficult, but its the same as GPS or Vision just without "Position Hold".

Try "Air Mode" if you want to have some fun ;) .... not available on DJI products^^

2017-10-5
Use props
Rawsome
Second Officer
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I fly at my work sometimes, indoors, no wind, lots of metal but high ceilings. The bird is in atti but hovers and flies quiet stable. Fly careful but you should be alright. Just make sure there is no draft or anything like it as it will cause it to drift.
2017-10-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

LeChuck71 Posted at 2017-10-5 03:43
Flying indoor is no  problem at all, you may get a compass error if you get too close to magnetic structures but thats it. It will not go crazy 'cause it cannot compare GPS heading with compass heading so you're fine.

BTW it is not correct that Spark is "less stable" in ATTI mode. Is is complete stable and auto leveling, the difference is that the Spark will drift if you are not in GPS or Vision Mode. The drift is due to external forces and minor errors in leveling - so you have to be ready to stick the Spark ;)

I think we are saying about the same: 'less stable' or 'Spark will drift... be ready to stick the Spark.'
That was at least what I was saying. (keep an eye on the spark and be ready to correct more since it won't keep position)
But I am no native English speaker
2017-10-5
Use props
EskildS
Second Officer
Norway

OK, just tried it. Worked fine, but the max altitude is an issue, 2 more metres would have been perfect. Other thah that, no problem!
2017-10-5
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

EskildS Posted at 2017-10-5 05:02
OK, just tried it. Worked fine, but the max altitude is an issue, 2 more metres would have been perfect. Other thah that, no problem!

I do it all the time.. spark is a bit hard to handle but it is good flying practice...  I agree that I don't like the altitude limit.. the room I fly in is almost twice as tall as the sparks max indoor altitude.
2017-10-5
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

You should have no problems so long as you take your time and don't forget you're flying in ATTI mode.  Don't forget to post the video and experience after your done.
2017-10-5
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

You may have some challenges are you are surrounded by metal it can have an effect on the drone. You may get a notification of magnetic interference. Also, I would not advise on using Return to Home as the aircraft will then shoot up to a specific height and possibly collide with one of those objects.
2017-10-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules