Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How often should I replace props
12Next >
2793 64 2017-10-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AlanHd
Captain
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

how often should I replace the props on a P3S, I know to check them before each flight but would you recommend a general limit even if no wear is noted.
Thanks
Alan
2017-10-5
Use props
Cessna Driver
Second Officer
Flight distance : 534298 ft
United States

If there's no noticeable wear or damage to them, I see no reason to replace them.

Full Disclosure:  I am a noob at this hobby.   
2017-10-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I know a Phantom 3 pilot, who has been using the same props for over two years.

No need to change them, if you are not crashing or being abusive towards them...

RedHotPoker
2017-10-5
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

As long as they have no chips, dings, cracks ... are still balanced .......... you use as long as they stay that way.

I have props years old on all sorts of models .... drones and RC aircraft ..... wood, CF, composite, nylon ...... on electric, glow and gasoline powered.

Nigel
2017-10-5
Use props
AlanHd
Captain
United Kingdom

Thanks that’s good to know, I’m gentle on my things, i don’t fly hard and I hand catch to land.
2017-10-5
Use props
DJI-Mark
First Officer

United States

AlanHd Posted at 2017-10-5 07:40
Thanks that’s good to know, I’m gentle on my things, i don’t fly hard and I hand catch to land.

Well be careful on the hand catching as it is not an advised way of landing. Props should always be routinely checked for wear and tear. If they are in good shape, no need to replace.
2017-10-5
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

I agree with Mark ... Hand Catching is a method that I do not use unless necessary.

I have seen too many accidents with props ... and what people forget is that ELECTRIC motors will keep on trying to turn and do not stop like wet fuel jobs. If the AC is still moving in your hands - the motors will not shut down as in LEFT STICK DOWN ...
Recently there was a newspaper article and reported online - guy who tried to catch pals AC ... ended up with serious injuries in hospital.

Landing is best ... MY opinion ... by bringing her down and then slowly manually touching down. There is then virtually no risk of fall over. Plus no risk of 'prop bites' ......

Nigel
2017-10-5
Use props
AlanHd
Captain
United Kingdom

RE: How often should I replace props

solentlife Posted at 2017-10-5 08:59
I agree with Mark ... Hand Catching is a method that I do not use unless necessary.

I have seen too many accidents with props ... and what people forget is that ELECTRIC motors will keep on trying to turn and do not stop like wet fuel jobs. If the AC is still moving in your hands - the motors will not shut down as in LEFT STICK DOWN ...

I was under the impression that hand catching would be more gentle on the drone. As soon as I grab the drone I lock the left stick down.
I learn something new every day.
2017-10-5
Use props
CommunalWheat9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419314 ft
Belgium

i replace them every months , its the safest thing to do i itink
2017-10-5
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

Left Stick Down only stops the motors when AC is absolutely still for 2- 3 seconds. If you move when you catch - the Left Stick Down will not stop motors.....

Gentle on the AC ? Why should it be better than a slow controlled landing on the ground ?

Hand catching has its place ... on a boat / rough ground / dusty - sandy area that kicks up from prop wash .....

But most places are ground suitable ...

I carry a square of medium heavy carpet that fits my case. I lay that on the ground if the grass is a bit long ... or snow .... or whatever ...

I value my fingers and avoid catching unless necessary. I really do not understand this need to do it by some ...

Nigel
2017-10-5
Use props
Salmonslayer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 100220 ft
Canada

I agree with Nigel ... hand catching is some cases is the only safe or prudent choice. I do a lot of flying over water, sand ,mud and over cliffs so I always hand land with a lot of caution and now feel more confident doing that than landing it on the ground.
In regards to props , well its all said above , they are cheep compaired to your drone so if anything looks out of balance or niked .. change em !

2017-10-5
Use props
Chatikib
Second Officer
Flight distance : 627979 ft
Netherlands

I use something like this. It is heavy and made from rubber. I take it always with me (in the back of my car). Put it somewhere on the ground and I have a good place to get up but also to land.

tegel.jpg
2017-10-5
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

CommunalWheat9 Posted at 2017-10-5 09:24

Why if not damaged ?

I know someone will say ... $5 against value of the drone .... - that's basically a crap argument.

If props are not damaged - they are fine.

My props are still the first set put on .... I have spares that never came out of the bag except to be balanced ... put back and stayed there.

Nigel
2017-10-5
Use props
MrRobert5823
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

Keep em clean, but if no jags, and they seat solidly, then keep em running....
2017-10-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I never hand catch, and always take off from an open area, away from any obstructions.
Preferably, out in the open, in case RTH engages, and it has to land on its own. ;-)

I always carry a landing pad of one sort or another. Or could even use my Nanuk 945, hard side case, if need be.

RedHotPoker
2017-10-5
Use props
AlanHd
Captain
United Kingdom

I carry a lightweight foldable foam pad for when I’m launching from the beach but it has one fatal flaw, once the drone lifts off its away with the wind. A funny sight me chasing after the pad.
2017-10-5
Use props
MerlinL14
First Officer
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

I have re-balanced them a few times but I am still using the first set I got with my P3S. I am also not an advocate of hand catching my quad.
2017-10-5
Use props
Salmonslayer
Second Officer
Canada

How do u "rebalance" AlanHd?
2017-10-5
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Ref hand catch I've read where some have attributed that technique to strut cracks, in addition to safety factors.
2017-10-5
Use props
CineView Media
First Officer
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Salmonslayer Posted at 2017-10-5 21:53
How do u "rebalance" AlanHd?

You can sand them off with fine paper, close to the root, where there is no drag, but its not necessary anymore with the new props. They are close enough to not make any noticeable difference.You use a prop balancer to locate the "heavy" side...
2017-10-5
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

To balance a prop - always only sand the 'back' of the blade - never the front aerofoil surface. Or use the helicopter guys method of thin tape folded over leading edge meeting at trailing edge and trimmed.

Nigel
2017-10-5
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

AlanHd Posted at 2017-10-5 12:57
I carry a lightweight foldable foam pad for when I’m launching from the beach but it has one fatal flaw, once the drone lifts off its away with the wind. A funny sight me chasing after the pad.

That's why I use a medium weight piece of carpet - then it doesn't blow away in downwash. Its still there for landing.
Nigel
2017-10-5
Use props
Salmonslayer
Second Officer
Canada

CineView Media Posted at 2017-10-5 21:59
You can sand them off with fine paper, close to the root, where there is no drag, but its not necessary anymore with the new props. They are close enough to not make any noticeable difference.You use a prop balancer to locate the "heavy" side...

What method do you use to test the balance of the props ...is it important  and a must to have them perfectly balanced or is it just a sound reduction thing ?
2017-10-6
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

I use the ODAY / DuBro balancer .... about $15 on eBay.

You can actually use a thin pointed stick vertically .... stick must be thinner than the inside diameter of the hub and the taper of point long enough not to impact hub sides. A long thin jewellers cross point driver is good.

Fix the stick in a vice or similar vertical. Now place the prop onto the stick letting the hub centre on the point. You will soon see if one blade is heavier than other.

Balanced props reduce vibration, reduce stress on motor mounts / bearings ... and therefore allow more power to be useful. Balanced props generally will be slightly quieter.

Nigel
2017-10-6
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Some say every 50 flights as they do wear on the motors but I am yet to change my props since getting my P4P last November.
2017-10-6
Use props
CineView Media
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

ACW Posted at 2017-10-6 10:39
Some say every 50 flights as they do wear on the motors but I am yet to change my props since getting my P4P last November.

They dont, unless they are unbalanced so much it shows in your video...
2017-10-6
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CineView Media Posted at 2017-10-6 10:51
They dont, unless they are unbalanced so much it shows in your video...

I know they don't, hence I'm yet to change them.
2017-10-6
Use props
CineView Media
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

+1 for Dubro, then you also need a shaft that fits the Phantom prop, like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/DU-BRO-P ... :g:-8cAAOSw44BYIkLc
Havent balanced mine since P3, they are virtually perfect right out of the box.
2017-10-6
Use props
Sunny D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70883 ft
  • >>>
United States

AlanHd Posted at 2017-10-5 09:13
I was under the impression that hand catching would be more gentle on the drone. As soon as I grab the drone I lock the left stick down.
I learn something new every day.

You can lock the left stick down while in the air, it doesn’t shut off the motors, just descends at a steady rate.
2017-10-6
Use props
repairman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

no need to replace them if they are not damaged.i have several old props that i still use that go on nitro,gas just check balance every so often.
2017-10-6
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

Sunny D Posted at 2017-10-6 17:08
You can lock the left stick down while in the air, it doesn’t shut off the motors, just descends at a steady rate.

Correct .... but it is not a good idea to have locked left stick down all way to ground.

Better to bring her down to a metre or so from the ground and then do a full manual slow landing - that way no fall overs and all is gentle on the AC. You can also miss that pesky stone or tuft that always seems to be there !

Nigel
2017-10-7
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

CineView Media Posted at 2017-10-6 10:54
+1 for Dubro, then you also need a shaft that fits the Phantom prop, like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/DU-BRO-Prop-Balancer-Shaft-3mm-Front-Fricton-Fit-DJI-Phantom-4-DUB3388-/291937519102?epid=1872472989&hash=item43f8d505fe:g:-8cAAOSw44BYIkLc
Havent balanced mine since P3, they are virtually perfect right out of the box.

The Dubro / ODay balancer should already come with a shaft and soft grommet ... that grommet fits the prop hub ....
Its an interference slide on fit.

Nigel
2017-10-7
Use props
Salmonslayer
Second Officer
Canada

Maybe DJI could comment on, if indeed your phantom will be damaged by soft hand landings... Don't see it happening, in fact I feel it's better as nothing is being washed into the phantom by it props when landing.... What u think DJI. Safety irrelevant, you can be killed walking accross the street by a car doesn't mean I'm not going for walks lol
2017-10-7
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

What has DJI got to do with way you land ?

If you are happy with hand catch - then fine ...

If you are happy with ground landings - then fine ...

What ever you feel is your best.

Personally - I choose which based on location.

Nigel
2017-10-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

CommunalWheat9 Posted at 2017-10-5 09:24

Can I please have your used discarded props? ;-)

Throw them my way, would ya? Hahaha

Bundle them up, and I'll pay for postage. Thanks

RedHotPoker
2017-10-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Many people have been injured or maimed hand catching drones. Even smaller DJI products can cut you deep.

Be very careful, with four spinning rotors near your face, & eyes particularly.

RedHotPoker

2017-10-7
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

I've posted this before ... but worth repeating :

There is a fundamental difference between a Fuel Engine powered prop and an Electric powered prop.

Electric motors give impression of being the 'safest system' where in fact the opposite can be true.

Fuel engines generally stall and stop when they hit bone. There is no 'second bite at you' .... the prop has done its damage and stopped.

Electric motors on the other hand will keep drawing ever more power to keep turning. Even when  stalled - as soon as that prop can turn again - it will bite you again and again all the time power is available.... till either someone cuts of the power or motor burns out.

People run away with the idea that E-power is safer ... but it is easier to have a false start than it is with fuel.

No matter that DJI have tried to build in safeguards - its still 4 electric motors with meat cleavers as props.

The motors stop when Left stick down / CSC after 2 - 3 seconds of absolute still. If you catch and that AC does not stay still - those meat cleavers will continue spinning.

Take care people ... even the smallest prop can do serious damage ...

I had an 8" GFN prop on a 1100kv e-motor shed a blade during a bench test. Motor etc. was securely mounted. As the throttle was opened - the blade sheered and buried itself into the bench edge. It took a knife and serious hacking to get that blade out. That prop was new, never used.

Nigel
2017-10-7
Use props
AlanHd
Captain
United Kingdom

Yeah, I’m definitely going to be landing normally from now on unless ground conditions dictate otherwise, I’ve learnt a lot in a short amount of time.
2017-10-7
Use props
CommunalWheat9
Second Officer
Belgium

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-7 09:23
Can I please have your used discarded props? ;-)

Throw them my way, would ya? Hahaha

I have not been clear before, I break my propellers every month, I do not replace them for pleasure
2017-10-7
Use props
CommunalWheat9
Second Officer
Belgium

solentlife Posted at 2017-10-5 10:32
Why if not damaged ?

I know someone will say ... $5 against value of the drone .... - that's basically a crap argument.

I have not been clear before, I break my propellers every month, I do not replace them for pleasure
2017-10-7
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules