Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Class E4? What are the rules?
3039 13 2017-10-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RoboMaster
lvl.1
United States

Hello im fairly new here! so im going to be attending an event in town and would like to fly my phandom 4 pro, however i checked the AMA map and noticed im in a class E4. Im more than 5 miles from my airprort but im assuming im in the path for the runway because its an extention off the circle on the map. I looked around on goolge but didnt find anything about rules. Also would i need to check my towns regulations too before flying? And is there any website that lists all the classes and their rules?

Thanks!
2017-10-6
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

What "AMA map?"  Do you have a link?  I've never heard of such a thing.  

With a question like this, you need to qualify your situation by stating how you're flying - Part 107 or Part 101 or something else...?

https://phantompilots.com/threads/class-e4-airspace.95169/

2017-10-6
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Enjoy!  

https://www.faa.gov/uas/

2017-10-6
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

If you remain below 400 feet AGL you'll be fine, as long as you are outside the nearest airspace of the airport's 5 mile buffer.  If you are inside it contact the tower to get clearance, they will likely tell you to remain below 400.
Never heard of E4...
2017-10-6
Use props
RoboMaster
lvl.1
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-10-6 04:33
What "AMA map?"  Do you have a link?  I've never heard of such a thing.  

With a question like this, you need to qualify your situation by stating how you're flying - Part 107 or Part 101 or something else...?

http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutama/govkbyf.aspx
yes, this is the link of the map. Also i will be flying for recreational use so therefore its a part-101
2017-10-6
Use props
RoboMaster
lvl.1
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-6 08:39
If you remain below 400 feet AGL you'll be fine, as long as you are outside the nearest airspace of the airport's 5 mile buffer.  If you are inside it contact the tower to get clearance, they will likely tell you to remain below 400.
Never heard of E4...

Here is a random spot i found with a class E4, i've also seen some E2 and E3 spots too. However the E4 in the picture is not as big as it is in my area and the circle that is connected to the E4 is a class D. Im sorry i don't know the correct terminology i'm fairly new to this kind of stuff.

Class E4

Class E4
2017-10-6
Use props
RoboMaster
lvl.1
United States

I guess my only question now is..... Do i need to check my local town restrictions for use of drones?(i am registered by both the AMA and FAA)
2017-10-6
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

RoboMaster Posted at 2017-10-6 08:57
Here is a random spot i found with a class E4, i've also seen some E2 and E3 spots too. However the E4 in the picture is not as big as it is in my area and the circle that is connected to the E4 is a class D. Im sorry i don't know the correct terminology i'm fairly new to this kind of stuff.

Purely from a piloting standpoint it defines the area that you must either steer clear of or operate according to FAA rules for that airspace includes requirements for radio contact, IFF squawk (if required), and wx restrictions if VFR.  
For you as a hobbyist it matters that you avoid or get clearance.  As I noted earlier, if you get clearance you are good as long as you stick to their direction and restrictions - usually remain below 400' AGL and remain clear of approach and departure paths.
I cannot explain an E4 from an E3 so either someone that is familiar with AMA airspace categories might or I wouldn't worry about it one way or the other based on what I stated.
You could check with AMA to see what they mean by it.  I've seen nothing in the FAA regs that defines airspace that way, not unless it's buried in the weeds, they just define each class and then altitude layers for different VFR wx, radio, and IFF requirements.  
2017-10-6
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

RoboMaster Posted at 2017-10-6 09:03
I guess my only question now is..... Do i need to check my local town restrictions for use of drones?(i am registered by both the AMA and FAA)

Yes you do
2017-10-6
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Thanks for the map link.  Never seen that one before!  

Flying 101 is very simple but very strict.  One violation and the entire flight defaults to a Part 107 flight.  Here's a link (scroll all the way down to Subpart E):  https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/tex ... ;node=14:2.0.1.3.15

You'd have to check with the town about drone rules.  They likely don't have any.  If they do, their rules would apply only regarding where you launch from though - even if they don't know it.  Once you're in the air, you're in the NAS and the town doesn't have jurisdiction.  I would carefully read over the AMA Safety Code before flying.  Good luck.
2017-10-6
Use props
RoboMaster
lvl.1
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-6 09:06
Purely from a piloting standpoint it defines the area that you must either steer clear of or operate according to FAA rules for that airspace includes requirements for radio contact, IFF squawk (if required), and wx restrictions if VFR.  
For you as a hobbyist it matters that you avoid or get clearance.  As I noted earlier, if you get clearance you are good as long as you stick to their direction and restrictions - usually remain below 400' AGL and remain clear of approach and departure paths.
I cannot explain an E4 from an E3 so either someone that is familiar with AMA airspace categories might or I wouldn't worry about it one way or the other based on what I stated.

Yes, but i'm more than 5 miles from the airport and i went to my town laws and searched (drones, UAV, etc.) but found nothing.
2017-10-6
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

RoboMaster Posted at 2017-10-6 11:24
Yes, but i'm more than 5 miles from the airport and i went to my town laws and searched (drones, UAV, etc.) but found nothing.

I cannot speak for the accuracy of those maps, so that could be one disconnect.  I'd go to the local airport and hunt up an IP there at the FBO or talk to the tower folks and see if they can clear that up.  It may be that that area of your town is considered Class E, which really isn't a problem as long as you remain below 400 and give way to all manned aircraft.
Even though laws don't say so, I'd still use common sense i.e. stay away from over flying crowds and avoid even the appearance of being a peeping tom.  That last one is hard as most have no idea that these cameras are not exactly telephoto lenses, so I'd avoid flying near buildings windows etc.  Keep in mind that you really don't want to fly over anyone or anything you can't afford to make right if something goes wrong.
2017-10-6
Use props
RoboMaster
lvl.1
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-6 13:20
I cannot speak for the accuracy of those maps, so that could be one disconnect.  I'd go to the local airport and hunt up an IP there at the FBO or talk to the tower folks and see if they can clear that up.  It may be that that area of your town is considered Class E, which really isn't a problem as long as you remain below 400 and give way to all manned aircraft.
Even though laws don't say so, I'd still use common sense i.e. stay away from over flying crowds and avoid even the appearance of being a peeping tom.  That last one is hard as most have no idea that these cameras are not exactly telephoto lenses, so I'd avoid flying near buildings windows etc.  Keep in mind that you really don't want to fly over anyone or anything you can't afford to make right if something goes wrong.

Alrighty, thanks!
2017-10-6
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

To be clear, we can't fly over crowds on a 101 flight.  It would be a violation of the AMA Safety Code which, in turn, would be a violation of a Part 101 flight.  This means, without a 107 certificate, flying over a crowd would be in violation of the law.  Even if you landed safely, they could still charge you.  

See B.1. here:  https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.PDF

Again - you should read this document linked above very carefully before you fly.

Good luck.  
2017-10-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules