So drones can auto rotate!!
3435 14 2017-10-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
birddawgg
lvl.1
United States

I know its nearly impossible as most turn turtle when you loose power and the pitch of the props are fixed but.........Today my Spark auto rotated from 500 feet. How is this possible you ask? You have to meet two very important criteria.

1st - you have to have a forward CG

2nd - you must be facing into the wind

How did I attain these two critically important factors? I can tell you that it is a nearly impossible feat but what you need is for your battery to eject itself after nine minutes of flight. This event satisfies the CG condition needed for the proper forward speed from a dead hover. Secondly you must be lucky enough to be facing into the wind.

Having said all this you may have guessed that this was not a controlled decent. The left side of the battery retention system failed which I still wouldn't think would cause the battery to eject from the Spark but it did. With no prior warning I lost signal and immediately heard the blades speed up. My initial thought was that it was returning to home, so I looked up to watch it decend and land. Well as I did so the first thing I saw was the battery whip past my head and bounce in the parking lot. Signal loss explained, the spark blades were still screaming and I watched it make a shallow arc from over head to six or seven spots over and bounce across the lot as well.

Spark status, battery = toast. The Spark itself has some road rash on the bottom and I had to snap the top right corner of the top plate back into position. Did a flight test and it flys perfect (for now) video quality excellent, gimble good, gps system good, l.e.d.s good and blink appropriately, responds to all commands, blades good and locked into position.

A+ for crash survivability.......F   for battery retention

2017-10-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That must have been an awful sight.
2017-10-6
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

To be honest, I'm having trouble converting the description into a mental picture of what happened.  It sounds interesting (if devastating), but I'm not converting the text to cognitive understanding.  What happened?
2017-10-6
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

Impressing. I would certainly expect the propellers to collapse before starting to run backwards.
What made the battery pop off?
2017-10-6
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

heliman Posted at 2017-10-6 09:59
Impressing. I would certainly expect the propellers to collapse before starting to run backwards.
What made the battery pop off?

I don't think the props turn backwards in an autorotation.
2017-10-6
Use props
Didiko
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18399 ft
Belgium

Surprising

Autorotation is probably not the right term... with folding blades.
2017-10-6
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
United States

Didiko Posted at 2017-10-6 12:13
Surprising

Autorotation is probably not the right term... with folding blades.

Thinking about it.. I don't thing the blades would fold.. the forward motion of the craft would keep the proper pressure on the spinning blade to keep it turning... I guess someone could test it with a leaf blower and a spark :-)
2017-10-6
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

The pressure will force them to stop or run backwards. Unless the spark is upside down.

2017-10-6
Use props
JCStorbeck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16502930 ft
  • >>>
United States

When the big choppers start auto-rotating the prop doesn't change direction.  The pilot will use the collective to maintain the right pitch to maintain forward speed and lift until they get close to the ground and then increase the pitch to trade blade momentum for lift to reduce the impact speed.   
2017-10-6
Use props
Hankmeister
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19465 ft
United States

When you properly remove a battery from Spark, you pull the 2 dark tab on the battery towards the indicator end to unlock the battery. Some people pull the battery out without properly releasing the locking  tabs. Eventually the tabs may become worn or broken and the battery is NOT locked onto Spark and can cause the battery to fall off the Spark. This may be what happened to the battery flying off.
2017-10-6
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
United States

heliman Posted at 2017-10-6 14:32
The pressure will force them to stop or run backwards. Unless the spark is upside down.

That is not what happens when a helicopter  autorotates..why would a quad copter be any different.
2017-10-6
Use props
birddawgg
lvl.1
United States

I cant call it a true auto rotation but all 4 sets of blades were spinning loudly as it hit the ground. I was a bit shocked to see the battery bounce and know that I had no power yet the Spark continued to sound as if it were under power. I'm sure the blades were spinning in the opposite direction of lift. But it was enough to slow it down and give some forward momentum. The battery bounced several seconds before the Spark made it back to earth. I actually found the left side battery tab closer to where the Spark landed than where the battery did. The locking tabs on the battery were in nearly perfect condition as it was the newest battery. I've been in RC for close to 10 years now and because I can't afford to run out and buy new stuff constantly I take great care to ensure my aircraft are as safe and flight ready as possible. I am amazed that the battery didn't hit me in the head, it was very close.
2017-10-6
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Quite amazing incident indeed!
2017-10-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

birddawgg Posted at 2017-10-6 17:55
I cant call it a true auto rotation but all 4 sets of blades were spinning loudly as it hit the ground. I was a bit shocked to see the battery bounce and know that I had no power yet the Spark continued to sound as if it were under power. I'm sure the blades were spinning in the opposite direction of lift. But it was enough to slow it down and give some forward momentum. The battery bounced several seconds before the Spark made it back to earth. I actually found the left side battery tab closer to where the Spark landed than where the battery did. The locking tabs on the battery were in nearly perfect condition as it was the newest battery. I've been in RC for close to 10 years now and because I can't afford to run out and buy new stuff constantly I take great care to ensure my aircraft are as safe and flight ready as possible. I am amazed that the battery didn't hit me in the head, it was very close.

Did you update firmware for your new battery ?
2017-10-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sorry to hear about this case, so in this flight, the battery just physically ejected from the slot, but it still worked and providing the power, right? If the data still reserves on the drone, please help to export them out and upload them to Dropbox, or you can contact support.us@dji.com for a further help. If there is any damage on the drone, please send it back.
2017-10-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules