Obstacle avoidance mid air warning in sport mode
2339 8 2017-10-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Haris
lvl.2
Flight distance : 210 ft
Sweden

Hi,A few days ago, I received Obstacle avoidance warning mid in air, but there wasn't anything in front of the drone, I had to turn back flying and that was no problem, and I did not think about it anymore.

Today when I was flying, the same thing happened again, I was 300 meters away, do not remember the height but maybe it was around 50 meters, I got the warning again, I turned around and started flying towards me but after a few meters I get the warning again then I tested and fly to different directions with just a few meters and I got warning all the time so I could not come back to me with Spark. The only thing I could do was fly up and down, because I could not fly any direction so much, the only alternative was to land there. Luckily, it was ok toland there, I landed right next to a building, then I went by car and picked up Spark and hoped no one would take it. What had happened if I flew over a lake? Then I could only have landed in the water.

Is there anyone else who has been involved in something like that?

I check if there was any dirt on the sensor but it was perfectly clean, not even fingerprints on it. And I did compass calibration before I started the flight.

Latest software on Spark, RC, Battery and DJI Go 4 on Iphone
I was thinking about one thing, maybe it was not in sports mode, even if the button was on the remote control, because when I started RC, it was already in sports mode, I mean that you have to change to normal mode and sport again to It will take effect but I'm not sure.

2017-10-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It has nothing to do with compass, if your flying straight into the sun your craft can suddenly stop because of OA this is well known with others around here, the fact you couldn’t fly in any direction is a mystery. If this was actually the case. You also could have changed to sports mode this would have disabled OA or just switched of OA in your app.

You could put up your flight log to link below, just click link and follow instructions, come back and post link.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-10-6
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Why are you flying 165’ AGL with OA engaged when there are no obstacles to avoid at that altitude? Use the OA when flying near obstacles. Switching off the OA will also conserve your battery power and almost double your air speed to around 12.5MPH without using Sport mode which puts the drone into FPV and ruins cinematic footage. Fog, mist and strong sunlight can cause the OA to stop the drone mid air for no reason. In your case, just turn off the OA or switch to Sport as previously advised. I have no idea why you felt the need to land far from the homepoint given that you had better options open to you.
2017-10-6
Use props
Haris
lvl.2
Flight distance : 210 ft
Sweden

Okay thanks for the help, I did not know the sun could interfere with the sensor. Because it was very sunny today, but it did not help and fly to the other direction may depend on the reflection of the sun from buildings.
What I did wrong was starting RC in Sport Mode and I did not notice it, I noticed it first when I picked Spark and turned off  RC, because I think if you start RC in Sport Mode, it's still in Normal Mode, You have to switch to Normal Mode and then to Sport Mode again and it would have helped me to return home. So that was my fault
2017-10-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Haris Posted at 2017-10-6 14:36
Okay thanks for the help, I did not know the sun could interfere with the sensor. Because it was very sunny today, but it did not help and fly to the other direction may depend on the reflection of the sun from buildings.
What I did wrong was starting RC in Sport Mode and I did not notice it, I noticed it first when I picked Spark and turned off  RC, because I think if you start RC in Sport Mode, it's still in Normal Mode, You have to switch to Normal Mode and then to Sport Mode again and it would have helped me to return home. So that was my fault

Your not the first or you won’t be the last to make that mistake, that’s how we all learn.

Good luck.
2017-10-6
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Been there and done that.
All of us will if we haven't yet.
Correct in that starting in sport mode doesn't really have it in sport mode with the exception of the camera, which won't shoot a pano until returning the switch to normal.

2017-10-6
Use props
JCStorbeck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16502930 ft
  • >>>
United States

Could you fly backwards when you got into this condition and use the map to come home?
2017-10-6
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Have you tried to fly backwards, sidewards?
2017-10-6
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

The 3D sensing and VPS will not work well when flying toward the sunlight. Please change the nose direction and check.
3D Sensing and VPS.png
2017-10-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules