Safe battery level
1591 7 2017-10-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kent360
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

May be an obvious answer but ive seen suggestions for best battery overall life to limit flights to keep battery level above 30%. Any evidence of this or is it ok to for example take to 10%.I appreciate fully discharging will wreck the battery. J
2017-10-7
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

30% is too high to land on - that will take minutes off of your flight time. The lower the battery power upon turning off the drone the more the battery cells will be worn and this will deplete the longevity of the battery. However, landing and turning off the battery on 15% is perfectly OK and DJI even assess the charge times based on 15% to 100% - I wouldn't even lose sleep if it occasionally went down to 10%. It's just as important not to leave the batteries on a full charge when in storage for more than a few days and never to charge the batteries when they are hot. Most important of all - never leave them in direct sunlight and don't get them wet.
2017-10-7
Use props
Toto Habschned
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40384 ft
Germany

Agree on 30% being way too high. I usually fly until the battery reaches about 15% and can't see any degradation in battery life (2 batteries, each about 80 charging cycles)
2017-10-7
Use props
Kent360
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for the info v.useful
2017-10-7
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

We don’t know where 0% is relatively to full discharge, so I cannot answer that.
For lihv cells, the minimum voltage is 3 Volt, like it is for lipo.
Spark batteries are supposed to protect themselves, so I don’t think we can discharge them to a destructive level.
Except by long time storing them at minimum voltage.

This article is interesting:
https://hackaday.com/2017/09/18/ ... ristics-and-safety/

I am not allowed to quote it, but look at the section starting with “Undervoltage"
2017-10-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Please refer the battery safety guidelines to save the battery:

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... delines_V1.2_EN.pdf
2017-10-15
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

ACW Posted at 2017-10-7 23:48
30% is too high to land on - that will take minutes off of your flight time. The lower the battery power upon turning off the drone the more the battery cells will be worn and this will deplete the longevity of the battery. However, landing and turning off the battery on 15% is perfectly OK and DJI even assess the charge times based on 15% to 100% - I wouldn't even lose sleep if it occasionally went down to 10%. It's just as important not to leave the batteries on a full charge when in storage for more than a few days and never to charge the batteries when they are hot. Most important of all - never leave them in direct sunlight and don't get them wet.

" never leave them in direct sunlight and don't get them wet."

I thought, I did hear that before.
2 of 4, not bad.
I do fly close(r) to HP, with an eye on the batt sign, after the first battery warning. But 10ish% is about the average on a normal flight in the end, for batterie load.

YbP8eS3DQOyRQlK9HWpj_237567877-480x252.jpg
2017-10-15
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-10-15 22:22
" never leave them in direct sunlight and don't get them wet."

I rhought, I did hear that before.

LOL - that is funny - but yeah - you don't want your batteries turning into gremlins :-)
2017-10-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules